Western Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Western Kentucky University

Sabina, make sure you are searching online for scholarships and grants, you know exactly why you are attending university. Plan to study abroad. Also dont forget that college is not only time for studying, but also making life long friends, meeting people with the same hobbies and interest as yours. Experiencing exciting and amazing new things. When scheduling for classes, make sure that the distance between the buldings that your classes will be in are close When scheduling for classes make sure that the distance between the bultings that your classes will be in are close enough to each other, so you get to the class at a time and wont suffer and run from one place to another and come in to the class breathing hardly. And always remember," "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." — Nelson Mandela

Dear Andrew, There will be hard times in your life and overwhelming odds. The transition to college will be one of your most struggling events in your life. Know that education is very important to our family. Our great grand parents and grandparents never went to college. The key for a better education is through college. Focus on what is important to you and be true to yourself. In Star Trek: II the Wrath of Khan, Captain Kirk said, "I don't believe in the no-win scenario." He believed in not giving up even through tough times and against all odds. Strive to get that Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Information Technology and remember there are no-win scenarios. College will be tough and a different life experience. Therefore I will tell you to never give up. Take care and see you in the future. Sincerely your future self Andrew

The advice I would give myself as a senior would be to work harder in High School, to be prepared for the College Classes. I would also have taken more Duel Credits. At home and in high school my parents were the main decision makers, so I wish I would have became more involved with that, as I struggled a bit at first, with scheduling classes. I also would have told myself to attend all informational sessions at the college, and make as many friends as possible, as I am a shy person.. I would say to think outside the box. Dont be afraid to be away from your family, keep yourself busy with school and other activities, and the most imprtant thing to relieve stress from myself and my family is to stay in touch frequently. Just call or skype them to say Hello. Invite family to the events that you are allowed to..

When my high school told me that I could attend a local community college and still earn my high school diploma, I jumped at the chance. Many people criticized me and told me that I would be missing out on an important stage in life. I was determined to prove them wrong. In college I felt like i was actually doing something for my life. I was becoming a better person while working towards my career goal. In high school I had always felt like there was no point to be there. I was not learning anything and the teachers seemed to be burned out and not helpful. College has given me pride. I am proud of the work that I do and the things that I accomplish. This spring i will be graduating high school with my Associate's degree and transferring in the fall to a university. I could not be more proud of myself.

What I have gotten out of college since I've been there is finding my desire. I have experienced a desire to excelle in my academics that I did not have before. I will study on Friday nights when all my friends are out if I need to. I've realized that I love to see the good grades and that is how I gain my self-esteem. If I do well on test or in the class overall I will have a huge smile on my face and it feels like I am on top of the world. I wanted to mainly please my parents and professors in high school, but now I have the need to make myself happy. I put the time into my studies for me, because school is my job right now. School is valuable because it will get me the life I want in the future for me and my future family. School is everything, and the desire I have to succeed in school is so great.

I have not attended college yet, so I am unable to answer the question intelligently. I can describe what it has been like for the past 12 years without a college degree. I have had to work extremely hard just to see others in the same position as me earn a higher income or get promoted due to holding a degree. I have seen doors shut for me, while they have been opened for others, just by attending college. I have lived the past 12 years of my life working hard to support my family in a job that I was not crazy about. I have seen my friends graduate from college and go on to work in fields of which they have passion. I am an extremely hard worker with a wonderful husband and two little girls that have all supported my decision to go back to school and follow my dream of becoming a teacher.

Understanding the importance of financial aid and how much money it actually takes to attend a college, going back in time I would have tryed harder to make the grades that I know I could make. Also going to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to start these scholarships early. There are so many oppurtunites to gain money, to help you get to college just taking the time and effort is up to you. Money is an illusion from getting what you want. When you let money get in the way of your school work or prevent you from going to school than thats when you need to make that illusion go away and turn into a positive perspective. The transition from High School to College as been beneficial to becoming more mature and more than anything don't change when you get to college just be yourself.

Because I had to complete a large service project senior year, I hardly focused on college selection. I would tell myself to spend less time trying to get an "A" and more time figuring out which college fit me best. I heard about a full scholarship offered by WKU that I knew I could get with my ACT score and GPA, so I visited once and decided to go there. After spending a semester there, I realized it's not the place for me. I am still giving WKU another shot spring semester, but I would prefer to attend the University of Louisville. In order for this to happen however, I need another scholarship, though. I wish I had looked into my options more as a senior. Now I am stuck trying to find a way to finance college at UofL because I was too worried about grades when college mattered most.

Pressure is large part of college, maybe even more so than in high school. From peer pressure to stress from school work, it can be overwhelming at times but stay strong. Its worth the struggle. You will be tempted by people who you believe to be friends but your strong enough to resist the bad things, you know what they are. However keep in mind these may be the funnest years of your life, so have fun. Meet new friends, try new things but keep a steady head on your shoulders. The world may seem unfair at times but keep in mind that it's not meant too. The world doesn't owe you anything, it was here first. You have to earn what you wish to get. Grades, Green(money), and Girls won't flock to you. You have to go out and get it. So go big or go home, Live your life to the max. Good Luck!!

Life in college, socially and independently, is the life. You will attend a heavy and stressful load of classes Monday through Thursday all to find yourself stumbling through a fraternity house for the next three nights. You'll have a ton of fun those nights and then wake up the next morning with the most unimagineable hangovers, then do it all over again without hesitation. This leads me to say, learn to take care of yourself. Your hygene will go down the drain, and your financial status will be dirt poor. So first, take showers. That could even help cure those weekly hangovers. Second, save lots of money during your summers; your parents will not be around to help out. And last, don't let partying get the best of you. Your GPA should be 4 points higher than your blood alcohol content.