Western Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Western Kentucky University

As a high school senior, I was extrememly nervous that I would pick the wrong college and go somewhere that I truly hated. As I searched for colleges and went on tours, none of the colleges really felt right until I went to Western Kentucky University. The campus was beautiful and it's distance from home was great. It just felt right. I then visited other schools such as University of Kentucky, but none felt as good of a fit as WKU. Later in the year I struggled with whether or not Western would have the right kinds of majors and minors I was looking for and second guessed my choice. Choosing WKU has so far been the best decision I have made and I can't see myself anywhere else. If I could go back, I would tell myself to just go with what feels right and don't stress out so much!

I would advise myself to do a lot more research about the university I want to attend and taking the necessary steps, such as investigating financial aids avenues and deciding on the appropriate major. It took me going to two different schools before realizing that I belonged at Western Kentucky University. As a senior, I assumed that everthing would work itself out and I procrastinated on taking the the necessary steps in order to prepare for college. I now the see the importance of planning ahead and I am now taking the necessary steps in finding a career after college or possibly attending graduate school. Therefore, the best advice I could give myself as a high-school senior would be to find yourself and don't assume that there is ample to time to decide your future.

No matter what college you choose to attend, there will be ups and there will be downs -- whether it's the food or housing. Choose the place that best suites you and your interests. Don't feel pressured to go somewhere because your best friend is going there, because college is the place where you find the people that are truly going to challenge you and make you a better person. Don't let school get in the way of your education. But be realistic... your dream college/university probably has the same things offered as the one that's cheaper. Start early on the looking process and have an idea of what you're looking for in a college around your Junior year of high school. But don't freak out! It'll be okay! Stay calm and make the best decision for you.

I have gotten a lot more than I expected out of my college experience. I have really learned independence and time management. In high school, I didn't study a whole lot so college, for me, started out rough. I had to learn to manage my time without someone there telling me that I have to do this or have to do that. I have learned that I cannot rely on others to help me get things done or make me do what I need to. I have to rely on myself to study for my big chemistry test or get my ten-page paper done. This is super valuable to me because as an aspiring doctor, I cannot rely on others to treat or help my patients. It will be up to me to get the job done and college has really shown me that, the hard way, but I would not trade this experience for anything.

I believe that finding the right college is determined by your personality. If you are someone who is laid back and somewhat of a family person, you want to find a college close to home that offers an inexpensive good quality education. If you are upbeat and like the big city life then you want to focus on larger universities or schools. It is important also to make sure they offer your program of choice. After that, look at the classes and ask others if possible. College experience is all in how you look at it. You need to be open minded and know that you are going to meet all kinds of people. Be open to that and be willing to learn as much as you can. College is one of the best times of your life so make the most of it and cherish every moment.

I have some common advice to give to prospective students. When you go visit a college, be truthful to yourself. Ask yourself where you think you would fit in. Could you really see yourself in the classrooms, at the gym, in the dorms of that particular college? If the answer is 'yes' than that school is for you. Once you have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 schools, think about scholarship opportunities, distance, and the type of field you want to go into. There are many schools that could be right for you. You can't make a bad choice. After all, it is all a learning experience. Don't stress about it. Wherever you go, you will learn something that will lead you to the rest of your life. Wherever you go, you will have the opportunity to succeed.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what i know now about college life and making the transition, the advice i would give myself would be to go into college with a positive attitude, be prepared to work hard because nothing worth having is going to come easy, and know how to deal with stress. A positive attitude always helps no matter how challenging classes may become and it's very easy to bring stress into your life whether it's school related or some personal issues. The struggles that I have faced throughout my life has allowed me to be able to recognize all the hard work and rewards that come along with it, allowing me to continue to strive towards my goals and keep a positive attitude in the process.

Finding the right college takes time and patience. Knowing who you are as a person will make the biggest difference in your college selection. I learned quickley that college is very different from high school. You must be secure in your beliefs and morals and be ready to stand on your own in a whole new world. Finding the right fit may take more than one visit to the same college as well. I would encourge students to talke with professors and students at the college as well. You will want to know the study life, and social life of the college. Most importantly, don't rush the decision, and listen to your parents. Although you are merging into adulthood, converse with them about their thoughts as well. Believe it or not, they know you pretty well.

I would tell Dorothy " congratulations on you upcoming graduation." I would also let her know that achieving her high school diploma is going to be a big accomplishment. And that is just the beginning of her journey. I would let her know she can be anything she wants to be in life. Doctors, nurses, and lawyers are just a few career choices she has to choose from. I will encourage her to start narrowing down her school choices for college early, and to began applying for scholarships and student loans right away. College should be at the top of your priority list of things to accomplish in life. I would also tell her to not allow people or things to distract her from her goals. "Dorothy, I wish you many blessings and much success in your future."

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior I would tell myself several things. First of all, i would tell myself to attend another school other than the one I am currently attending. Secondly, I would tell myself to try very hard to win scholarships for school. I didn't win any and i didnt apply for many and i really regret it. Another thing I would tell myself is to find a school that fits my interested. Recently i decided that I would like to major in culinary arts. I would very much like to go to a culinary school in nashville in the fall. I would tell myself to visit that school then than waiting after a whole year of school at WKU. Also, i would tell myself to focus on my interests and not worry about what someone else wants for me.