Western Kentucky University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Western Kentucky University

Skylar

It is a pretty good school. The campus has some nice scenery. They have lots of different student organizations. Anyone can find something to do on campus. There are many different options for dining. There are many great classes to choose from. Sports are important to a lot of students. Overall it is a descent school.

Amber

I love Western Kentucky University! I'm currently a commuter student but the campus is awesome and class sizes are good. I've enjoyed my time at WKU so far and I'm about to be a junior. The Nursing program at WKU is awesome and the new facility is one of the best. Ultimately I came to WKU because of how good the nursing program is!

Western Kentucky is overall a great school. First of all, the campus is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! There are many different varieties of restaurants on campus and they all contain great food. The extra curricular life is amazing as well. But over all my favorite part is the easy and accessible academic buildings.

Kris

WKU is pretty great overall! Would recommend it.

Kierra

WKU is a great school! The staff and faculty are very helpful and open to talk outside of class. Majority of the students really support and get along with one another, and the community itself is very accepting and friendly as well. There is pretty much always something going on on campus for different organizations, whether it is grocery BINGO, intellectual forums, or a Thursday night party in Nite Class. There are also a lot of different organizations of which to become a member. Everyone is sure to fit in to something! And while there is not much to do in Bowling Green itself, we were only about 45 minutes from Nashville and an hour and a half from Louisville, KY.

Brooke

nice place

It isn't a bad school and has a beautiful campus but there are certainly some issues. Some dorms have mold problem, some of the off-campus apartments are structurally unsound. The academic buildings are a pain to navigate and the professors are underpaid. That being said, they have some great programs and opportunities and overall the student body is great.

Victoria

To put it simply, WKU is a party school and degree mill. It's sufficient for getting people through with a degree, but it's so large and with such a party focus among many students that sometimes it is easy to feel lost in the crowd, like you're just a number. If you simply want to get your degree and move on, then WKU may be a good fit for you, but if you want smaller classes where you can feel more involved, this is probably not the school for you. Additionally, the parking situation can be infuriating. Students pay a high price for residential parking that is not necessarily anywhere close to their residence hall, and still may not be able to find parking in said parking lots. Personally, I do feel like Western's nursing program is preparing me well for my career (I don't have much knowledge on the quality of other majors), but there are aspects of attending this school that I am ready to be finished with.

Extremely favorable. The campus is beautiful, easily traversable by foot, and well maintained. There are several restaurants to choose from on campus, as well as a cafeteria (although maybe stay away from it, as the taste is often lacking) . There are club and intramural sports, and a variety of extracurriculars to participate in. Most of my professors are helpful, intelligent, and organized.

Brean

I love WKU. The overall environment is wonderful. The campus is one of the safest in the country. The students around campus are always friendly, as well as the professors. You can build lasting relationships with the professors. WKU is just a great campus and overall great atmosphere to be around. I thought about transferring schools, but something drew me back to WKU. I'm so glad I decided to stay.

Victoria

It's a very nice university expect from the people who run it. The people you meet (ex. Professors & counselors) are wonderful, but people like the President aren't open and more than likely, honest with the students. The President, Caboni, is being personally sued (And the university as a hole) by a former student because he didn't do anything about the harassment the girl was going through. The University is also suing their own newpaper. So, other than the people in charge, everything is great.

Tyrus

I love the campus! I love the people! There may not be enough places to go to within the city, but traveling to Nashville and having great people takes cover for that. The staff at Western are so outgoing and will do anything to make you feel happy and there are great amount of resources to go to and the price of the academic year is easily acceptable.

Sabrina

Overall, I think Western Kentucky is a really good school. No, it is not the prettiest campus ever, but it still has some beautiful things. One of my biggest complaints is how so many of the facilities and food options are closed or have limited hours on the weekends. There are a lot of different kinds of groups of people on campus though-lots of organizations and opportunities to meet people and get involved. There are parties and drinking and some drugs, but not everybody does that; the party scene is here though. Classes are good. As with any school, look up your professor's beforehand to decide what classes to register for. Sizes are fairly small and every professor I've had makes an effort to help you if you have any questions and lots of free tutoring is also available.

Nora

Western is an incredible school. The campus is beautiful and the professors are always kind and understanding. Everything a student needs is readily available to them in some way. Every building is within walking distance. There are many activities to participate in while on campus. It’s a great school!

Briana

I started attending Western Kentucky University in 2016 and since then the culture I knew my freshman year has changed a bit. The campus itself is just beautiful and that one of the reasons I when to the school. Especially in the spring time and the cherry blossoms bloom in the spring. You will never get use to the hill lol each year I think it gets better but it doesn’t. But there are ways around it like the bus or cutting across the hill instead of going up. I used to have a meal plan when I first started but I am from Jamaica and we don’t eat out often because home cooked food was better. So, the fast food wasn’t my best experience but it you love you some chick-fil-a, steak and shake, Denny's and subway they be my guest. The housing part of it is ok but its's too expensive if you have the money, I would get an apartment its cheaper. There is always something happen of campus and because the campus id so beautiful is a nice place to study outside if you need a new scene, that where I'm going all spring when it gets warm. The party scene has calmed down especially in the black community over the years. It’s a wonderful place especially if you make some friends. You will must get use to a small city if you are from a big city like I am, not much to do after 10pm.

Amber

WKU is the best choice for residents of Southern Kentucky and beyond. As a visitor or a student, staff and students are friendly and helpful. The university is proud of their heritage and preserves much of their history through the beautiful architecture and historic sights. Bowling Green offers many activities for the sports addict, party star, artistic muse and anything in between. The university is well known for dedication to education and offers a wide variety of classes for all types of needs from Photography to Geology. Campus security does exist and there are poles you can set off a help alarm. There is also an automatic phone call to all students, faculty and staff to inform them of emergency alerts in times of crisis.

sara

Going to WKU is easily the best decision I've made. Everyone that attends WKU shares the same passion towards their university. The campus has many activities for it's students that ranges from e-sports leagues to football tailgates to greek life to run clubs. There's something for every student on campus to enjoy. The president is loved by all students and is very active on campus. The original buildings have been maintained , as well as, the newer, high-tech buildings. The on campus living is nice and the staff is very helpful. Off campus is easy to come by and still walking distance to campus. There's plenty of food options on campus with meal plan options. Tons of off campus food with student discounts. I'd tell anyone to come to western because it will be the best college experience you can get. The school pride is radiated on campus and truly makes the university everything it is.

Mercedes

Overall WKU is a welcoming University. Being a hilltopper has its up's and down's, whether it's going up that hill 5 times a week or once. WKU has given me the college experience and I don't regret any moment of it. I love being part of Bowling Green it has given me a home and a new family.

Dak

It sucks! The student body is comprised primarily of a bunch of fat hippies and white trash. If you like unhealthy food- you're in luck! That's the only type of food you'll get here. The housing sucks, the professors are all terrible (and normally completely inaccessible outside of class), especially Dr. Hurst in the biology department. Don't go here! This is basically an over glorified community college!

GAbrielle

Western Kentucky university is by no means the best school out there. But you can say that for a lot of schools, but only at WKU does nobody know what the actual mascot is. Aside from that, as someone who has family hours away, at WKU a lot of people are supper kind. The biggest issue I have is the food, for a meal plan it is all just fast food and two buffet style places to eat ( I work at one of the places and never ate their on my own time) and each place only has about 3 options for each places meal plan. I also wouldn't bother to bring a car since they have good transportation route ( though not the best drivers) that 5 days a week goes to Walmart/ Kroger and another on Saturday to the mall.

Katelyn

I just finished my first year on campus as a part of the WKU Honors College and I enjoyed my experiences. The class sized were always smaller than 30, which was a nice change from my high school, and all of my professors were very available to us and willing to answer any question even outside of class. Even if it was outside of their office hours, they would respond to emails very quickly. There are also so many campus resources, like the tutoring center, the counseling center, Preston fitness center, and the libraries. These make adjusting to life on campus so much easier and that takes off some of the stress of classes. The dorms are also great. I lived in the freshman honors dorm my first year and it was so nice because Minton's right in the middle of campus so I could get everywhere in a 5 or 10 minute walk and even in I needed to go off campus there are shuttles that run from campus to downtown and to various shopping centers around town. The shuttles are really easy to keep track of since they run all day and have updated times in the WKU app so you can tell when the next bus will be coming. I also thought that there was a lot to choose from in terms of food. Most of the restaurants are in the student union in the middle of campus but there's some at the top of the hill. Any place on campus will take meal swipes or meal plan dollars and there's even some places off campus where you can use mean plan dollars, like Chili's. There are also lots of events to choose from. Sports is a pretty big thing on campus but their are other events all over main campus and occasionally at south campus, which you can take the shuttle too.

BriAnna

I am so glad that I chose to spend my undergraduate years at WKU. I am from Nashville, Tennessee and when I first began to look for at colleges, none of the schools I had looked at excited me the way Western did. When I visited, I immediately saw myself creating a life and memories here for the next four years. The campus itself is beautiful and the people are so open and welcoming, both on campus and in the city of Bowling Green. The campus is the perfect size, not too big where it feels overwhelming but not too small either. The campus has a strong sense of community and I think that it gives WKU a special quality that most other colleges do not have. The staff really do make you feel like they care about your performance and success as a college student, which was really important to me when I began to look at schools. The administration and professors are always open and easy to reach out to, whether it be about class curriculum or other issues. Academically, the school I feel is fantastic. The professors are good at their jobs and make you excited to learn. The opportunities that are given to us are amazing, and are designed to help the students succeed at the highest level possible. Extracurricular wise, there is something for everyone, and people genuinely find their niche here due to the vast amount of clubs, sports, and organizations available to us. Going to WKU was the best choice that I could have made for myself., and I know that I would have been settling for less if I would have chosen to go to a school back home.

Makenzie

I love it here. Everyone here is so nice and the university embodies a family atmosphere. There is always something to do and a variety of places to eat and shop. BG has a great location, it is only an hour from Nashville, Tennessee. I played soccer at WKU and I am so thankful the university gave me the opportunity to do so.

Anna

Western Kentucky University is a pretty large college, with a small school feel. You can always find someone you know and say hi to them. Academics at WKU are also very great. The teachers are there to help and will always find a way to help accommodate the students if they are need of help. Game days, of almost any sport, are the best recreational times. Overall I adore western, it's a place where people can feel safe and have fun.

Overall, I enjoy attending school at Western Kentucky University. I have met great friends and have enjoyed most of my classes thus far. On campus housing is a little outdated, but I believe it will improve greatly as the university is beginning to make great changes to the current dorms.

Abigail

Western Kentucky is a very flexible school, from summer online and on-campus courses, to summer start programs, it has everything to meet people's needs. So far I've taken two online courses and have been accepted to the summer start program, and I have had a pleasant experience through it all. On tours, I've been welcomed and treated like I was already a full-time student. The staff and fellow students are courteous and very embracing of new peers.

Janessa

I think Western is an overall amazing school that provides its students with a plethora of resources for success. The atmosphere on campus is inviting and fun. Anyone who steps foot on our campus can tell that us hilltoppers are a dedicated. The school is well maintained, they provide us with so much, and the teachers here care about your success.

Melissa

Western Kentucky University is a medium-sized university located in South Central Kentucky. WKU offers countless academic and extracurricular opportunities, a gorgeous campus, cultural diversity, and a contagious school spirit that makes it the ideal university for anyone.

Maxis

Overall I feel like I'm satisfied with the experience. Although I am just a freshmen and haven't got the full feel to the college I will say I have enjoyed my time here. There are a lot of resources for academics, plenty of places to eat, so far the professors are laid back but professional all at the same time. Although it may be a bit pricey, but I personally think it's worth it.

Western Kentucky is a great school with a lively atmosphere and rigorous academic department. For those interested in education, journalism, or nursing WKU is second to none. WKU is an affordable option that still offers demanding coursework, thriving campus life, and helpful faculty to prepare students for the real world. I am proud of my time at WKU, and would encourage others to make it their school of choice.

Alanna

Western Kentucky is a great place to be! The sports are a big thing, but I don't care for it. The staff and facilities are great! I only wish they had more classes relevant to the current technologically evolving and globalizing market. I was disappointed with the lack of animation and foreign language majors/minors.

Keegan

WKU is a school that has a unique atmosphere for better or worse. Having a smaller campus compared to the other large state schools is nice and is convenient. The facilities, while a little older, are being updated and give a sense of tradition and history. The professors here are friendly and most actually want you to know that material rather than just throw up information that they tell you. There are many research opportunities and ways to get involved. I would say bad thing about a unique atmosphere is that you get a weird conflicting school identity. On one hand you have sororities and frats that provide an opportunity to make friends, however while they support tailgating their support for the sport is a little less. WKU is overshadowed by the bigger universities and while you might be a WKU fan, you cannot just be a Hilltopper fan- you also have to be a UL or UK fan. The food options are a little less than optimal with the two main healthy options being Subway or another company which you only go to if you really don’t care what you eat or how it tastes. After a while you just get tired eating from the same handful of options. Overall, WKU isn’t like the large state universities that we have, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. You see people a lot more than you would on a larger campus and the teachers are friendly and actively wave to you even after you’ve had their class. Class sizes are small and you get more one-on-one time with your professor and see a lot more of the friends you’ve made along the way. While WKU does lack in some areas it’s nothing that takes away from the Hilltopper experience. WKU is unique in the location, atmosphere and even with our hill top mascot Big Red.

Western kentucky university is a delightful university, it offers lots of on campus and off campus living opportunities. It does suffer from usual college issues such as large classrooms, but it has excellent professors, great on campus restraints and very reasonable hours for classes.

Daria

I think WKU is a wonderful school to attend. Most everyone is there is nice and helpful whenever you need anything. They really try to get everyone involved and show them around or what they can get involved in. The campus itself is so beautiful and they keep it up to date and clean. The professors are super helpful and almost always willing to help you in anyway they can.

Abigail

WKU is a good University going through a rough patch. The budget cuts hit us hard this year and prices are rising all around, faculty are being cut left and right, and SGA is acting more childish than the actual United States Congress. However, everyone has rough patches. Western has nowhere to go but up! The campus is the most beautiful campus I’ve ever seen. Your professors are mostly helpful and programs and degree path options are vast and many. I’m enjoying my time as a Hilltopper! Go Tops!

Aubrey

Wku is a beautiful campus. Not too big, easy to get around. Great classes, a lot to do extracurricular. Highly recommend.

Great school. Need better housing and better/healthier food options

Zoe

It is a very safe campus with lots of opportunities. Some of my classes have been large (50-70 people) but most are around 30 or under. On game days there are always people out tailgating and even when there isn’t a game you can usually find some people out playing football or soccer on the lawn.

James

Western Kentucky University has become a second home for me. I am most comfortable in classroom settings, and the professors are always available for extra help outside of class. Western Kentucky University has relieved my anxiety from taking the big step from being a high school student to becoming a college student. The campus is gorgeous, and the students are always prepared to learn. I plan on staying connected to Western Kentucky University for the rest of my life.

Ariel

Western has the best campus I've ever been on which was my selling point of deciding to go there. The campus is beautiful and has the best views everywhere you go. I was nervous about going to Western at first but it's the best decision I ever made. It feels like home and Bowling Green is so homey and welcoming, I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. There's always an opportunity to get involved with some sort of club or activity on campus and if you don't attend the football games, what are you doing?! I love Western and I'm glad I chose to come here.

Haley

I love Western Kentucky University! They are very serious about making sure the campus is incredibly safe. They even have their own police department ON CAMPUS as well as a 24/7 escort service where a police officer will come and walk you to where you need to be so that you feel safe. Sports and cheering on our WKU sports teams are extremely important and it makes getting involved super easy. I'm so happy with my time on the hill so far!

Madelyn

WKU is a wonderful school! I am very happy that I chose it. I have enjoyed all my classes so far, and they have been challenging academically. Greek life is amazing. I love being in a sorority. I live on campus and plan to continue living on campus.

kari

I love Western Kentucky with all my heart. However, I do find that it is very expensive and I am not able to do everything I would like. I cannot attend in the fall and join a sorority. The community bathrooms are not the cleanest either. They do have options for healthy food on campus too, which I find very beneficial. The gym on campus is very nice and is used by a lot of students.

Desiree

I think that, overall, Western Kentucky University is a fantastic school. We are currently in the process of hiring a new president and the search committee has nothing but the students' best interests in mind. I do, however, think that there are some problems in individual departments. I, myself, have had many issues with the music department. There's a heavy emphasis on music education which is fantastic, but those students who are only studying general music or who want to pursue a different music might feel like they're not receiving the best education. The Student Government on campus is truly amazing. They fight for equal rights of all students and are very quick to deal with any issues concerning this topic.

Brittni

I had an excellent experience at Western Kentucky University. The teachers and staff were always very happy to help. The education that I received at Western Kentucky was excellent, and prepared me for the career that I wanted and ended up going into (teaching). I would highly recommend that students who are wanting to achieve top quality training to teach in a middle school classroom consider Western Kentucky University.

Vanessa

It's a good school, I feel very at home here. It is a "suitcase campus" though, so many students go home on the weekends. It wasn't my first choice college, but I'm very glad I came here! The campus is very pretty, especially in fall, and ll of my professors are very welcoming.

brittany

Western Kentucky University overall is a great college. There are a few things I would love to see improve. This school is in debt and seems to always find ways to make students spend more than they should. Everyone is welcoming here, but they are not always the easiest to get a hold of when you need help with something. My experience through the Financial Aid office this past summer is one that I hope improves the most. Other than that, there are many activities to always keep you busy and enjoying your time here at Western. I am committed to staying here until I earn my Bachelors degree.

Kinsley

When I first began my college search, nothing in particular had drawn me to Western Kentucky University. Then I visited the campus and absolutely fell in love with it. Classes began in the August of my freshman year and I was immediately blown away by every professor's willingness to help a floundering student, by the ever-accommodating facilities that allow me to do my homework at two in the morning, and by the overwhelmingly kind and welcoming student population whom are always ready to answer that terrified freshman's questions and to build friendships. The activities on campus are endless; I am personally a part of an on campus ministry known as CRU, where I have met countless lifelong friends and really grown as a person. As the next semester approaches, I hope to join an intermural basketball or volleyball team, as I participated in those sports in high school. There's practically a club or organization for everyone who steps on campus, and every day I am reminded that I am exactly where I am supposed to be, oh home sweet home to me in Kentucky.

Tayhana

I love Western Kentucky! I can not wait to be on the hill every day with other students. I always feel very safe on campus because of how many cops they have. Also, they have an app we can use if we do not feel safe walking about to our dorm rooms. They also have so many things to get involved in which is probably the main reason i picked WKU

Kristina

When I first applied for Western I was a skeptic. The application process was decent however I never received a welcome packet. I had to call to follow up on applications. Aside from having to keep up with them myself, Western is great. Slow on getting a response from professors but overall great.