Kalamazoo, MI
Western Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Michigan University

Jess

Western is a school of about 25,000 students -- which is just the right number in terms of comfortable class sizes. There is not too much to do in terms of activities on campus, but there are a lot of cool things to do downtown kalamazoo

everyone is fairly friendly at wmu. campus is pretty diverse and i haven't had any real issues in terms of interaction with students.

there are a lot of academic programs to choose from. class sizes are just right, and most of my professors know me by name. also, there is many opportunities to meet with professors outside of class

the athletic teams - especially the football team - get special treatment for sure. the football team gets more funding than any other sport and also get special hotel rooms and such to make them comfortable. there are a lot of great bars in kalamazoo and some fantastic breweries, but i don't think wmu students drink any more than any other college

That everyone spends all of their free time drinking

Ryan

It is a well-rounded school School size is just right though it probably could be bigger for me I think people overall respect WMU's academics Spend most of my time at Parkview Campus and in the Bernhard Center Biggest controversy on campus is school retention and school pride, sporting events are free to students but there is still a lack in attendance (at least to me there is) I would also like to see WMU do more for their minorities. MSU has a Black Caucus for each dorm and CMU has Minority Aids for each dorm. Other schools may have things to help unite minorities on campus and I hope WMU can add something To me there is not a lot of school pride, unless we are playing CMU Kalamazoo is definitely a college town that is flooded with bars to attract students

I think we have good racial groups. I am apart of NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers) and I feel like we really help the school. I am also apart of CBC (Collegiate Black and Christian). There are more black greek organizations which are coming back and YBM (Young Black Males) aka YBMSN (Young Black Male Support Network) is really good on getting younger students hooked-up with older students. Their sister chapter YBBW (You Beautiful Black Woman) is a good one also. With the start of the BSU (Black Student Union) I hope this unites all the black student groups, which is their main focus. I think all students can find their niche at WMU I think students wear basically what most students wear. Some try to look good and impress everyone, some people really don't care and will wear a hoody and jeans everyday. Most students from WMU are from Michigan, mainly the east part of the state Middle-class, upper-class Students may be on the below average on their political awareness I don't hear too much discussion on how much they will make, until senior year when you get offers. Then you might discuss with your friends and classmates what your offer is and compare with theirs.

My professors do know my name for my upper level classes It more like least professor and favorite professor, I pick my classes by which prof is teaching that semester In Engineering we study a lot Class participation isn't common I do have intellectual convos outside of class, but not that much Students are competitive, there are a lot of study groups and helping out, a big plus on what I like about WMU I know all my professors and I can ask them a question at any time. The engineering college is away from the rest of the school, so it gives you that small school environment and you can really get to know your teachers

In the black community - YBM will always be big, different greeks will shine at different times. I think Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma are the two big ones at the moment. I love NSBE, we have many professional development activities for our students. When I was in the dorms everyone left their doors open 2am on a tuesday, either just leaving a bar (Firehouse if any, Tuesday isn't a big day) but I am probably studying, maybe even cramming for a Wed exam CAB always have Miller Movie and other cheap/free events Bronco Bash is something big that happens at the beginning of each year and of course homecoming and at homecoming I always attend the free NPHC Marchdown (black greek stepshow) People party often - Under 21 Thur-Sat, Over 21 Wed-Sun. Any day there is a bar that has a lot of people there Frats/Soros in the black community are important Last weekend I was actually at NSBE's National Convention Saturday Night - Dinner at the Union with live music and then catch a movie at the Rave. Bowling is also fun, other than that there isn't too many close options (1 miniature golf place and no go-cart places within 5 miles)

Party School Alcoholics Good Teaching Program Good Aviation Program Good Engineering Management Program Good Paper Engineering Program Increasingly better Engineering Program Big Campus/Small Campus feel Pretty Girls

Sean

The best part of WMU is that you can get a large school with a fairly small school feel. I've never felt overwhelmed by the size of WMU but it has always been nice that it is a school with so many people who you can connect with and experience new things because of. There are a number of student groups on campus and provide students with many ways to interact with one another. Most students are pretty casual with their clothes and it can range from laid back sweats to business attire. I would say the majority of students at WMU are from Michigan although I have also met many people from the Chicago area. There seems to be a good mix of "east" and "west" Michigan people too so it is quite fun to compare previous experiences. Although there are

I think these stereotypes are completely wrong. I myself find it to be a great college with many benefits. We have many fine programs here that are accredited and even award winning. WMU might be easy to get in but as numerous freshmen find out each year, it is not quite so easy to stay in.

Sports aren't a huge deal for most people. I know a lot of people who love to go to hockey games and football is popular with some but i think the overall temperature towards sports is luke warm at best. The theatre department is quite good on campus and they put on many good shows each year. WMU also has the Miller Auditorium that shows a variety of shows from comics to broadway. True to the stereo type there is always a party going on somewhere. Each weekend and even most week nights there are numerous students partying, for better or worse. If drinking isn't your thing, there are numerous local things to do as well. Kalamazoo is a vibrant city with many restaurants, theatre, art and many other fun things to do. Since it is a college town many places also offer student discounts, including the movie theatres.

WMU is looked at by many as a party school with no educational value.

Beth

One thing I'd change: The fact that people call us Wastern. I hate it. WMU is just right. I spend most of my time in the Bernhard Center on campus. I like WMU's administration a lot more ever since President Dunn has come on board. No, I do not believe there is a lot of school pride at all. Most of my friends don't even know the fight song. The most frequent student complaints are about parking services but I think that is because they are not fully informed of where they can park because they are lazy.

There are too many open- ended questions. Nobody wants to type all of that for a survey.

No. I believe that there are some students that come here because they did not get into Michigan State, but many of the students came here because they liked the campus and it wasn't so big like the other options. No, I do not believe that everyone drinks all the time because I know that I don't and a lot of my friends don't.

Professors know my name because I am actively involved in class. Yes, WMU students have intellectual conversations outside of class.

That we all came here because we could not get into Michigan State. That we all drink all the time.

Wow, these questions are all very difficult to answer, but I will get it a try: The best thing about WMU? Definitely the students. We like to use the term "heads up campus" because people are incredibly friendly and open. It's so easy to meet people. One thing I'd change: The weather. If I had the power to move Kalamazoo, MI to a place that was always sunny and warm, I don't think I'd ever be unhappy with my college choice. WMU's size is... Just right. Part of the reason that I chose WMU was because I did not want to go to a huge school like Michigan State where I would feel like a number. I wanted my college experience to be about so much more than just my education, and I felt like Western would give me the chance to get a lot more involved outside of class. How do people react when I tell them I go to WMU... it really depends. Some students will say "Wow, I couldn't go to a school that big." Some others will ask me what I'm studying because they've heard about our programs... usually they just ask me if I know such-and-such person. And I usually have at least heard of them, which never ceases to surprise someone, including myself :) When do I spend the most time on campus... every day except for Sunday. Honestly, once you get involved in one or two organizations, your time on campus increases exponentially. Whether it is going to the 24-hour computer lab to work on homework, or go to a meeting, I feel like I am always on campus even though I don't live there anymore. Our college town is... Kalamazoo, MI. Yes there really is a Kalamazoo and I love it here. I think that if I were to stay in Michigan after college, this would be one of the only cities I would ever consider staying in. Enough said. It is incredible. What's my opinion of WMU's administration... Well, thats a bit of a biased question because I see the president of the university every Monday, Wednesday and Friday where I work... and I've been to a pool party at his house. Obviously, I love them. They're friendly and put students first. And the president is on facebook. Enough said. I'm going to skip a few questions and just go to the main point: WMU is the best public university in the state, in my opinion. As a student who could have gone anywhere to further her education, I chose it on the basis of where I could grow the most as a person AND a student. Between working with the orientation program, getting involved in Greek Life, and campaigning for student body vice president, I really cannot choose my favorite moment here. I just wish I could go to college for another 4 years and never graduate.

Our student body, as well as our surrounding community, is very open. I think that is the best way to put it. We have several large organizations dedicated to the LGBT community, as well as religious events on campus open to all student and a growing international student population.

If you do not consider WMU as one of your choices for college, you are missing out on a golden opportunity. I encourage you to take a tour of the campus and see what it has to offer. I promise you will not regret it.

Absolutely not. Western Michigan University is one of the highest ranked research universities in the nation, with students coming from across the country to study Aviation, Engineering, Theater/Fine Arts, Speech Pathology, Sales and Business Marketing, and more. I think the "party" reputation really stems from the fact that all you need to do is replace one letter and you spell "Wastern". Honestly, every college is a party school, and there are always going to be students that want to brag about that. At WMU, there is so much more than that going on with over 200 student groups to get involved in and the campus feels much more like a community, than a large college with over 23,000 students.

There a lot of large student organizations on our campus. Of course, I have to put a large plug in for Greek Life because I do not know who I would be today without the support of my sisters and the community of people who have taught me what it means to be a leader. As far as other organizations, the Western Student Association and the Campus Activites Board are definitely the largest. WSA is our student government, with senators elected from various organizations on campus and academic colleges. CAB is responsible for concerts, movies, performers, comedians and other large scale events that come to WMU. Theater is also huge on our campus. Our musical theater and theater performance students are an elite group of some of the finest performers I have ever known.

That all we do is party... and that we are the students who could not get into U of M.

Morgan

WMU is just the right size, not too big or small, people are generally pretty positive when I tell them I go to WMU. I think the only thing I'd really change is the wasteful spending that WMU tends to do.

Most students tend to wear comfortable clothes rather than nicer looking ones. Most WMU students tend to be from Michigan or close-by states, otherwise many students are from overseas.

To some degree, but no more so than any other bigger university.

All of my professors know my name and generally greet me when I come to class. The education at WMU seems to be more geared towards getting a job than just learning for learning sake.

The most popular groups on campus seem to be the greek fraternity/sorority groups around campus. Athletic events seem to be pretty popular, especially ones with rival schools. I met my closest friends through work, and through friends of my brother. If I were awake at 2AM on a Tuesday, it would most likely be either working on a project due wednesday or just getting in from a bar.

People call the school "wastern" instead of Western because of its association with intoxicated college students.

Andy

For me, Western was the only place I ever wanted to go. When people ask me why I chose it though? I can't ever find the right words to explain it. From the first time I stepped on campus, I felt like this was my home. There's so much school spirit, especially at hockey games, and there's always something to do. The surrouding Kalamazoo area is an integral part of the Western experience as well. It's a great college town, but there are also places you can go where you forget that Kzoo is home to three colleges. The entire atmosphere at Western is charged with this energy, I feel it everywhere I go. I feel proud to call Western my home.

I don't think there's a single person that would feel out of place at Western, unless they were intimisated by size. There's a group for every area. I thought that being a Christian would be difficult here, but there are so many religeous groups, I sometimes feel like I go to a Christian college! There are also a lot of sports, recreation, and political groups. There's really something for everyone. One thing I feel a little outnumbered about is the fact that I'm a Republican, and even though I know fellow Republicans, I definitely feel outnumbered in my classes, especially when the discussion takes a political turn. I think though, that any liberal arts college in America is going to be like that, so it's not really Western's fault.

How many times have you heard WMU referred to as 'Waste'rn? I heard it a million times before I even got here, at about a million more after I actually started school. I had always heard that Western was this school where the only thing students did was party. And I'll admit, Western has a party atmopshere like no other college, but that's not all WMU has. A lot of people either forget or don't reailze that Western is cnosistently names one of the top 100 colleges in the nation. We've got a theatre program that's by far one of the best in the country, our aviation program is world renowned, and our education program is well respected. Western has a lot more going for it than just it's parties, and I think a lot of people don't take that into consideration.

The Communications department at WMU is the one I've had the most experience with, and it's great. Of course, there are teachers I could live without, but one of my favorite classes at Western was in the Communications department too. It was my first semester here, and it was the first Comm. class I took, Communication Theory. I loved it! The professor was so energetic, and even though it was a huge lecture class, I felt like my prof. knew me. My other favorite class was in the women's studies deparment; Media and the Sexes. It too was a big class, but the professor was great about getting to know everyone. I still talk to him sometimes! Another thing that made those two classes so great was student participation. Of course, there are some classes where students hardly participate at all, maybe because it's too early, or because it's not that interesting, but mostly I've found that students are willing to share their thoughts.

I think the biggest stereotype is that Western is a party school, and nothing else.

Ainsley

Perfect size... Big school attitude, small school mentality. Classes are great, professors get to know you well and making friends and meeting people is a breeze! The surrounding area lives off of WMU and is kindof dead when students aren't partying. Sports suck, but were fairly spirited, hockey & football we kill em with the spirit, theres SERIOUS issues with the locals, people who attend KVCC and the high schools have a habit of crashing our parties, games and events. There is SERIOUS tention between minority students who attend WMU and minority students who do not. They act like their jealous of us for going to shcool and cleaning up our neighborhoods so they make a point to make things hard for us here.

Mostly white middle classed christian striaght tall. All black people on campus know eachother as african american organizations reach out to new black students all the time and black students are acclimated with the minority community very early. Latinos revolve around Sigma Lambda Gamma, Sigma Lambda Beta and Latino Studend Organization. Young latino students, exchange students and Dominican Students are well aquainted with eachother by way of theese organizations, while all other minorities unite under their own respective organizations. Indian people live all in the same area, and gay guys goto Club Metro to meet other gays in the area.

The Valleys - Valley 1,2 & 3 Residence halls are the party CENTRAL! The Valleys are all freshman and the furthest from central campus, but the hypest. Constant party and meeting new people all the time!

Yeah pretty much excluding freshman who still hold alot of their high school norms.

Freshman academics are to be exprected of any large university. The attendance policy is crazy for those of you interested in Frostic School of Arts or anything that has a class size of less than 20. Professors demand that u miss less than two classes with an excuse or doctors note, if u miss anymore than that with or without a note your grade is lowered by an entire letter, and two tarties equals one absense.

The Fraternities and Sororities are all located together on one street consecutively ... one after the other so parties last all night long and party hopping is often encouraged, with students stubling drunk from one frat to the next one after the other. Thirsty thursday, people are getting drunk untill like 1:30 seeing as no one has friday classes here. Friday and Saturday people are often seen drinking at all times of the day, cops dont seem to enforce underage drinking or public drunkeness at all ever and their presence never stops a party NEVER. People just don't seem to care. The student ghetto has the next largest concentration of social connection. Old houses subdevided into small apts. make a huge neighborhood close to the stadium and people party here as much as fraternity row. Smoking happens here more. An apartment complex called the arboretums is the final party central. Free parking, a pool and great fitness center, most parties in an apartment are here, usually people can be seen walking in circles outside listening to see which party to goto. Divine 9 Fraternities and Sororities are not located on frat row and hold their own events at private locations and often promoted on facebook, parties are garunteed to sell out around 12:30 as inflation rises on cover. Most people come to Bigelow cafe, the largest cafeteria on campus to eat and hangout long after they have eaten. Regulars can be seen frequenting the grill and crowing the TV's or Patio-style tables. Also in the fall Bigelow has air-conditioning!

We all drink all day long/ we are 100% alcoholics and party 55% of the week

Kaylynn

The best thing about WMU is the atomosphere. People are so friendly and you can feel the Bronco spirit in the air!!! WMU is just the right size for me! Others may prefer a smaller or larger school. That all depends on the person. I like the size because there are a lot of people, but not so many that if affects my schooling (class sizes) or my commute to classes. Kalamazoo is a "college town" in that there are 3 different places to enroll for higher education. Although there are a lot of college students, there are also a lot of families in the area. WMU's administration is much better over the past two years. We have a new president who is very involved and highly visible around campus and at special events! It really shows how much he cares about the university and that he is interested in getting to know everything about it! I think that there is a lot of school pride, but I must say that I see to many people wearing apparel from other schools. Michigan and Michigan State apparel are very common and I would like to see that diminish. I understand that people are fans of Big 10 schools, but I would rather see Bronco apparel increase. Being an RA in Draper Siedschlag Residence Hall for 2 years will always be an experience that I will remember. Not only is it helping me now, but it's an experience that will help me continue to grow over the years for the rest of my life! Also, it has helped me meet lots of people and made me aware of all of the events that WMU has...it has truly made my entire experience at WMU so much better than I ever imagined. A major complaint that I hear is the cost of Parking Passes.

Most students wear very casual clothes to class. Jeans and shirt/sweatshirt for the most part...Some of the grad students dress more professionally b/c they go to class when they aren't working. Students who are more involved on campus are more likely to interact with people who are not like themselves. People who are involved seem to be more open-minded about other people. Most WMU students are from Michigan. There are especially a lot from west and southwest Michigan. I have never had a discussion with a student about how much they earn in one day.

I love WMU with all my heart! I will always remember my time spent here. I have met people that here I expect will be my life-long friends. I will be proud to show off a degree with Western Michigan University written on it! I have learned a lot about myself and about others while at WMU. All in all, I love WMU! GO BRONCOS!

I know my professors name and they know mine! My favorite classes are my Elementary Education classes. I love them ALL! Class participation is very common. I have a lot of discussion-based classes that are require involvement in order to get the most out of them! Some students are very competitive, while others are not very motivated at all... I'm in the Early Childhood Development major within Elementary Education. My minors are Science and Language Arts. Early childhood development basically means that I will be specialized in grades K-3rd and certified in grades K-5th. In terms of spending time with professors outside of class, I go to office hours, but only if I need to. I'm not the type to just stop by to chat. At least I haven't thus far! I'm glad that WMU is starting to try to get students out in 4 years. That needs to start happening again.

Organizations: Drive Safe Kalamazoo, Campus Activities Board, LGBT (OutSpoken) Groups: Greek Life (Sigma Chi, Chi Omega, Delta Zeta, Sigma Kappa) Teams: Football, Hockey I'm involved in Draper/Siedschlag Hall Council My freshman year in Henry Hall, my neighbors and I kept our doors open all the time. My experience in D/S is that they do not. Athletic Events are very popular (esp. for the male teams) I met my closest friends by living in the residence halls for 3 years! If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, it's because I'm doing homework. If it's nice out we could be playing ultimate frisby or something!! Every year Homecoming is a big eventful week, Senior Citien's Prom at the Bernhard Center, Little Sibs Weekend (1 per semester), etc. Last weekend I got together with friends and did homework. Watch a movie in a friend's room (dorm), play cards, video games, board games, cook fun foods/desserts, play spoons, play sports outside (ex: ultimate frisby, tennis, football) go to a movie for cheap with student discounts off campus, shopping in Kalamazoo, go out to eat at the Union where WMU music studets preform (downtown), CATCH PHRASE (my friends and I love that game!!), etc. Shopping, movies, out to eat, go to friends' apartments, go to work, go to the beach in south haven, etc.

"Wastern" = Party School WMU accepts anyone who applies and/or "breathes"

Miranda

There are so many groups to participate in at Western that it is hard to have time to do everything you want.

All my professors know me by name and are actually interested in how I'm doing. My classes are very participation oriented and most students take class time serious. I think that the academic requirements are well rounded, however, i do not like having to take a public speaking class. It feels unnecessary to me but I'm required to take it.

That we are all drunks and druggies who only came to Western as a last resort.

Western Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.