Kalamazoo, MI
Western Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Michigan University

lydie

I love the campus, but the one thing i would change is the bus route. it'd be nice to have it really planned out. I think the size of western is perfect, it's a little big college with the perks of a big and little university. people tell me i go to wastern when i tell them where i go and it's irritating. I spend most of my time on campus because i live and work in the dorms and have friends who live here with me. There is NO COLLEGE TOWN things are very widely spaced here and it is irritating and difficult to not have a car. The administration here is good. I love the psych department and they always do they're best to help me when i have questions. I think there is moderate pride-it won't be out and out but people like this school. WMU is a typical college but i love it. I think it's irritating just how spread out things are. but that's about it

I think that there is a wide range of diversity and not one student would feel more out of place than another. students who live on campus seem to wear more causal clothes that those who live off. students are all over the map interms of money and goals, people honestly just want to make friends.

sometimes-but not for the students who come here to actually get an education.

My professors know my name but honestly it's about how well you get to know them too. It is not soley they're responsibility to know you. My favorite classes are my psych classes. LOVE the psych department. I study about 10 hours a week depending on what i have to do, though i think that may be more than a lot of the students. Class participation is sometimes manditory which i think is good in some classes and irritating in others. some classes you really do have to show up to understand the material and some you don't. The students here are sometimes competitive-but i think it depends on what your field is and how far along you are in it.

that we're all drunk all the time.

Christopher

WMU is in a wonderful community with lots of arts, entertainment, and restaurants. The campus is like a small city within a city and its just about the right size with 24,000 students. The best thing about WMU is that there are over 230 majors to choose from, over 300 registered student organizations and a process to create your own group, and we really are a world-class public research institution. We are currently working on a spirit initiatve, each week we celebrate Western Wednesdays and encourage students, faculty and staff to sport WMU gear. The new WMU administration, John Dunn, who took office last July is extremely accessible. Very few students have yet to shake the man's hand and most have encountered him on multiple occasions. He launched a program called the Western Edge, which is intended to put students first and give them an academic edge over other universities in finding a major and graduating within four years. Even over the past eight months, the culture of the campus have steadily improved and the pride has never been higher. The biggest controversy was over the Sangren parking lot project. Student felt it was ugly and unecessary and preferred to have parking spots rather than picnic tables and benches. Luckily, its temporary until Sangren in rennovated.

WMU is no different than any other public university of our size.

The biggest stereotype is that WMU is Wastern and a massive party school. I can assure you, WMU is no more of a party school that any other public university of our size in the state. If you want a routy school, MSU should be your pick.

Tristan

The best thing about WMU is the people. They're all so friendly and willing to help out. Incredible friendships are easy to come by. Also, the size of the school is perfect; it's neither too big nor too small. Everything on campus is within ten or fifteen minutes walking distance. Western students are definitely filled with pride. While most students usually show their pride by wearing Bronco apparel like sweatshirts, t-shirts, and beanies, on game days, students step it up a notch. Whenever there is a sports event, students paint their bodies brown and gold, they slap temporary Bronco tattoos to their faces, and they’ll walk around as Western superheroes with a Western flag tied around their neck as though it were a cape. When I'm hanging out on campus, I can usually be found in the dormitory lounges-- usually the Draper lounge. My friends and I get together and have movie marathons, or we'll play pool or ping pong. However, if I'm not on campus, I can be found in Downtown Kalamazoo. There are several businesses and restaurants that offer discount prices for WMU students. Also, students don't have to pay bus fares which makes traveling easy and affordable.

Greek life is pretty big at WMU. In fact, several of my friends belong to sororities. Sorority and fraternity organized charity events are frequent on campus. Always, during the warm months, a myriad of chalkings can be found on the WMU sidewalks advertising the different groups. And, I think they try to recruit about once a semester. Students with all sorts of financial backgrounds attend Western. Most people I know have taken out loans to pay for school; some pay entirely with loans, others have help from scholarships and parents. Although most WMU students are from the state of Michigan and surrounding states, there are actually quite a few international students. WMU also hosts an international week; several activities, dinners, movies, lectures, go on all week to help students of different cultures learn and accept each other. There is a gay population on campus, and there is an LGBT group that vocalizes the injustices they face. I remember, in my Freshman Year Experience class, an LGBT panel came into speak to the class and to answer any questions we had. Overall, WMU students come from a variety of backgrounds and have a variety of beliefs, but we all somehow accept each other. And despite the nice cohesiveness, WMU students are always working to make the relationship better.

If you plan on attending Bronco Bash, held at the very beginning of the school year, you really don't need to buy pens. The businesses and student organizations that set up booths for Bronco Bash hand out zounds of pens that can last well into the next year of college. Also, buy snow boots. Oh! And if you like soup, go to the Draper carryout. They have the best soups Ever.

Yes and no. It's college; of course there will be a party or two or three. But, not every day is a party, and not every student is perpetually inebriated. If going to parties is not your idea of fun, there are several activities hosted by the campus that are mellow (and exciting) and alcohol-free.

I feel Western has nicely sized classes. Most classes seem to have an average of 30 students. There are several lecture classes, but they don't seem so overwhelmingly large. My biggest lecture class, Finite Math my first semester as a freshman, had about 230 students. Obviously, for the lecture classes you have to make it a point to get to know your professor otherwise, to them, you’re just another “WIN ID”. However, for the most part, my professors know me by name. They’re all very personable, and they encourage students to stop by for office hours. WMU does require students to take general education courses. These classes are anything from foreign languages to introductory science course and Intermediate Swimming to Music Appreciation: Rock and Roll. Generally, I like taking the general education credits; I suppose I like being "well rounded". But, there is one distribution area that I dread-- Natural Science and Technology. Philosophy of Science? Introduction to Manufacturing? Oh dear. I cannot offer too much insight about classes for my major. I only declared my major about two or three months ago; so, I haven’t taken too many of the required classes. But, I can say, my favorite classes each semester are my English classes. Of course, the subject matter interests me—my major is English. But, I feel the teachers also play a big factor. I kind of get the feeling that the English teachers at Western are a little crazy. But, crazy in a good way. Crazy in a way that keeps students wanting to come back to class. Crazy in a way that keeps students wanting to learn more. As for academics outside of class, I'd say I spend about 3 to 5 hours a day doing homework, completing reading assignments, or just general studying. It usually depends on how lazy I am that day or how much I've procrastinated earlier in the week. Sometimes, my friends tell me I neglect them because I spend so much time studying rather than hanging out with them. Personally, I'm baffled they have so much free time. Maybe we have different work ethics, or maybe I've chosen incredibly work-intensive classes.

Parties are typical around WMU. They're usually held anytime between Thursday night to Saturday night. Parties are usually found in Fraternity Village or at someone's house or apartment. Since the dorms do not allow alcohol, parties tend not to take place in the dorms, though there are a daring few who hold parties in their dorm rooms. But, not everything revolves around parties or alcohol. For example, many of the residence halls host a few activities throughout the week to keep the residents entertained. This past year, I've seen fliers for Euchre tournaments, tye-dying t-shirts, and flashlight tag. As for athletic events, they're quite popular. WMU students can attend any of the athletic events for free assuming they've brought with them their student IDs. I only really attend the football games and hockey games, and both are always packed. Though, the football team, this past season, wasn't all too amazing. Sometimes, the students would start clearing the stands shortly after the marching band performed during halftime. Also, if you're into (alternative) music, Rocketstar Cafe, a coffee shop right near campus, has a small concert about every other month or so. Or, you can head over to Kraftbrau Brewery in downtown Kalamazoo; it's larger and generally they're able to book the better known bands.

Many know Western as a party school where alcohol is quite prevalent. If you go to party stores close to campus, you’ll certainly find a t-shirt or two with the nickname “Wastern” scrawled across the front; the nickname offends some, but others wear it with pride. I’ve heard they even have names for every day of the week (like Tanked Tuesday and Thirsty Thursday).

Andrea

In my opinion, the best thing about WMU is the fact that it is a liberal school. Most of the students are easy going and get a long well with others. Fellow students generally don't look down upon one another based on their areas of studies or financial status. The one thing that I would change about WMU is the number of people who are on campus handing bibles and other religious literature. Its not that they shouldn't be there, it is that they should respect fellow students who do not believe in the same things that they do. The students (or elders) who pass out the informational literature can be quite pushy from time-to-time. WMU is just right in size. It is not too big or too small, which really shows in the classroom. Often times, you have a class of 30 or so students which really allows you to interact with your classmates and professor, to get the most out of the class. The only classes that consist of about 300 students are general education classes which are required by all students in order to graduate. I have never had a negative reaction when I tell people that I attend WMU. I spend most of my time on campus either in the arts & sciences buildings (Sangren, Sprau, Moore, Dunbar, and Brown [when it opens back up from construction]), but I also spend a large part of my time in Waldo Library and Bernhard Center, which is where the 24 hour computer lab is and the area where and the on-campus bookstore. Kalamazoo is definitely a college town. Kalamazoo College (which is a private university) is also in town, so there are lots of bars and other activities to participate in. We have lots of cultural and arts festivals throughout the summer and a very large art community. Also, there is a area known in town by campus called the student ghetto, which is where most students who live off campus reside. In that area there are houses and apartments to rent in abundance, most within walking distance to campus. From my experience, WMU's administration is adequate. The financial aid department is a little rough to deal with sometimes, because of all the issues they are always having with getting loans disbursed on time, other than that, everything is okay. The last controversy I can recall on campus was when WMU's President Judith I. Bailey was fired, I believe it was the fall of 2006, maybe 2007. I believe that there is a decent amount of school pride. Many students attend football games and wear WMU clothing around campus, it just depends on whether or not they show it.

I have had positive experiences with all of the groups on campus except for the religious and political (mostly the student republicans group) on campus. Those two groups often take things to the extreme but don't take into account other peoples beliefs or the fact that they are at a liberal arts college. I can't think of anyone who would feel out of place at WMU, it is a very diverse school. Most students dress weather appropriate to class. Since we are in Michigan, boots and heavy duty jackets are standard in winter and other clothes depending on the season. Different types of students do often interact with each other, whether it be in class or socially. I never lived in the dorms, so I don't know much about the dining halls. There are a lot of WMU students from all across Michigan as well as out of state. We also have a large number of foreign students as well. The financial backgrounds are not important in the realm of the student body. I wouldn't say there are prevalent ones because WMU makes it possible for almost anyone to afford tuition and expenses. As I have said before, WMU is a liberal arts college and many students are politically aware and active. I would say the majority of students are left wing liberals, but there are other groups as well. Generally, students do not talk about how much they'll earn one day, from my experience. It's not that they don't know, it's that they are happy with what they are doing and most only care about that.

I don't feel that the stereotypes are 100% accurate; however, there are some truths to them. There is a large number of students who do party a lot at WMU, but that does not include everyone. There is also a large number of students who DO NOT spend all of their free time partying and truly care about their school work and educational future. As for the "easy" girls stereotype, I feel as though that is not true and is just built up by years of disrespect and assumptions. On to the STD rate, I have looked into this for a class and WMU does have a high rate of students with STD's but I am unclear as to the reason for this, therefor I will not speculate.

All of my professors know me by name, mostly because I am done with gen. ed. classes and now have small, tight-knit classes. I don't have a favorite teacher per se but I have had many favorable teachers. The ones that have pushed me to do my best and really take the time to get to know me and my work are my favorite. My least favorite teacher would be one of the graduate student teachers I had for a critical reasoning class who didn't show up to class often, and completely skipped out of coming to class the last 3 class periods before the final exam. Most of my friends study a lot (so do I) but I think it depends on the person's work schedule and class load (or subject matter). For my classes, class participation is key. Most of my classes are lecture and discussion based classes, as well as writing classes in which we must interact with peers to perfect our pieces. The people that I interact with all have intellectual conversations outside of class; however, I have heard some pretty ridiculous conversations in passing. I think that there is a general laziness by many students on campus who don't really care where they end up in life, but on the other side of things, many do care and are competitive in a sense that they want to achieve as much as possible and get the most out of their education. The most unique class that I have taken was a Dark Comedy and Satire english class last semester. I love the subject matter, even before I took the class, and was surprised to see it as a offered course. The professor was incredible as well. My major is English with emphasis on Practical Writing. My goal, as of right now, is to get into publishing. The english department has a very eclectic group of professors who are very successful and intellectual. I have yet to have a bad professor. The best professors are the ones that really push you to think outside the box and promote a conducive environment for learning. Very laid back and liberal as well. I generally don't spend physical time outside of class with my professors but I do keep in constant contact with them via email. The academic requirement is adequate for my department and is very focused on the area you are studying. The getting a job/learning for its own sake depends on the area of study I suppose. The english department is very focused on developing your skills to be successful in your career but also focuses on the actual learning of the subject as a whole.

The major groups of students are either: Jocks, Hippies/musically inclined people, art and theater students, and brand-focuses people (i.e. the sorority and fraternity students as well as ones who never really left the high school mentality that looks and clothes make the person). I never lived in the dorms, as I mentioned above, so I have no knowledge of dorm life. Tailgating is a large part of the athletic events popularity, but many students do enjoy the sports events in general. We have a very good theater program and Miller Auditorium brings in many touring Broadway plays as well as musical acts. Students get discount tickets, which enables them to be able to afford going to these shows. We also have a lot of guest speakers. I actually know my closest friend from back home, but I have met many wonderful people down here. At 2 am on a Tuesday, you could either go to one of the many 24 hour restaurants, or go shopping at Meijer or something. The bars close at 2 am, so that is out. The Bernhard Center on campus is open 24 hours, so you could go to the computer lab or grab some coffee at a local 24 hour coffee shop. Waldo Library is open until 4 am so that is an option as well. Each year, there are a number of annual festivals such as Island fest and Irish fest. Also, every month, local businesses downtown open up their doors after hours and participate in something called the "Art-Hop". The local business will host a local artist to display their artwork and they will also usually provide wine and cheese as well. People party pretty much Thursday-Sunday or any big game/event night as well. We also have a large bar scene. There are a lot of fraternities and sororities on campus and they are fairly popular. Last weekend I wrote 4 papers and read about 600 pages worth of stuff for my classes, hah. On a Saturday night, you could go to the movies, coffee shops, museums and art galleries, go out to dinner and a number of the local restaurants downtown, etc. I do any of these things off campus as well.

One of the very strong stereotypes about WMU is that it is a party school. It is assumed that everyone who attends WMU only cares about partying and getting drunk. Yet another stereotype is that there is a large population of "easy" girls or "sluts" on campus and that they will also be involved with the partying scene. Last but not least, WMU is known for having the largest population of students with STD's in Michigan, which reflects upon the partying scene at WMU as well.

Western Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.