Western Michigan University

« See more reviews of Western Michigan University

Absolutely not. Western Michigan University is one of the highest ranked research universities in the nation, with students coming from across the country to study Aviation, Engineering, Theater/Fine Arts, Speech Pathology, Sales and Business Marketing, and more. I think the "party" reputation really stems from the fact that all you need to do is replace one letter and you spell "Wastern". Honestly, every college is a party school, and there are always going to be students that want to brag about that. At WMU, there is so much more than that going on with over 200 student groups to get involved in and the campus feels much more like a community, than a large college with over 23,000 students.

I don't feel that the stereotypes are 100% accurate; however, there are some truths to them. There is a large number of students who do party a lot at WMU, but that does not include everyone. There is also a large number of students who DO NOT spend all of their free time partying and truly care about their school work and educational future. As for the "easy" girls stereotype, I feel as though that is not true and is just built up by years of disrespect and assumptions. On to the STD rate, I have looked into this for a class and WMU does have a high rate of students with STD's but I am unclear as to the reason for this, therefor I will not speculate.

no! not in the least bit, we are known as a party school, but in reality we have a very diverse population. We have a business program that is in the top 20 nationally recognized business programs, we have The Lee Honors College, a great fine arts college and a nationally recognized college of health and human services. Not to mention we are blessed to have Dr. Malott and his behavioral analysis program and courses within the major of psychology. Back to the point, there is a friend here for everyone, no matter what you want to do and where you want to go in life!

Possibly for the parties. I don't party, so I can't say from experience, but I have seen that the statistics for Western show that it takes the average student here longer to graduate than it does at other universities, possibly from partying, possibly not. I've also heard that the LBGT program here is much better than it is in many other schools, and that actually draws some students to Western.

Not completely. Many WMU students really care about their academics, and the vast majority of students not living in the dorms don't party that much. Basically, after the first year the students are pretty focused. Almost all the students work.

I'd say yes. We weren't put on Rolling Stone's Top 10 party schools because half the kids they interviewed couldn't remember going to the party the night before. We party harder than the Number One Party School.

It depends who you hang out with. I've met a lot of cool people this year that aren't into drinking and found alternative ways to have fun. Some people are pushy about others not drinking.

Not at all, granted like any college there is a lot of partying but there are plenty of alternatives

Yeah pretty much excluding freshman who still hold alot of their high school norms.

To some degree, but no more so than any other bigger university.