Western Michigan University

« See more reviews of Western Michigan University

My professors did know my name except for in one class. I had the benefit of having smaller class sizes, all being under thirty so it wasn't exactly a challenge for the professors to learn their students' names. My favorite class was calculus. I had never taken it before so it was extremely challenging in my first semester of college, but nothing feels better than knowing I completed and passed that class. I love math so I enjoyed the class overall and was really able to engage and push myself to achieve the grade I received. Students study different amounts based on their schedules. Most students have homework everyday and depending on the class have at least one test or quiz in each class per week so studying is required often but not so often it's unmanageable. Class participation is encouraged and common. Professors look to students to contribute and everyone's there to learn and everyone has opinions so why not share them? Some classes develop intellectual conversations after class more than others. With such a large university if a student wants to have an intellectual conversation they can find people to do it with. Students can be competitive but I haven't run into any problems. It's healthy competition if anything. It provides a way for students to motivate each other but in the end they usually support one another as well. The most unique class I've taken was the first year seminar class entitled "Arts in Action." My professor taught in the school of music and showed us Indonesian art, music and helped us Discover Kalamazoo as well as taught us basic skills to succeed during our time at Western. My current major is Undecided, however I am in the Business School. I am leaning towards a major in either Management or Nonprofit business. In the next semester I have signed up for classes that will hopefully show me a little more in the world of business so that I can narrow down and declare my major. The Business School has been very helpful in advising and always welcome questions and work with the students well. I do not spend time out of class with my professors too much, but I have stayed after to discuss what we talked about in class or grades. I feel that the academic requirements are appropriate for the different majors and departments and ultimately fairly determined. Education is geared toward both getting a job and learning on it's own. It mostly depends on the class but in today's society the amount of jobs are minimal and so it's important to be qualified. Professors provide real-life situations to prepare students for jobs in the real world but also teach them the basic information needed to receive a degree.

All of my professors know me by name, mostly because I am done with gen. ed. classes and now have small, tight-knit classes. I don't have a favorite teacher per se but I have had many favorable teachers. The ones that have pushed me to do my best and really take the time to get to know me and my work are my favorite. My least favorite teacher would be one of the graduate student teachers I had for a critical reasoning class who didn't show up to class often, and completely skipped out of coming to class the last 3 class periods before the final exam. Most of my friends study a lot (so do I) but I think it depends on the person's work schedule and class load (or subject matter). For my classes, class participation is key. Most of my classes are lecture and discussion based classes, as well as writing classes in which we must interact with peers to perfect our pieces. The people that I interact with all have intellectual conversations outside of class; however, I have heard some pretty ridiculous conversations in passing. I think that there is a general laziness by many students on campus who don't really care where they end up in life, but on the other side of things, many do care and are competitive in a sense that they want to achieve as much as possible and get the most out of their education. The most unique class that I have taken was a Dark Comedy and Satire english class last semester. I love the subject matter, even before I took the class, and was surprised to see it as a offered course. The professor was incredible as well. My major is English with emphasis on Practical Writing. My goal, as of right now, is to get into publishing. The english department has a very eclectic group of professors who are very successful and intellectual. I have yet to have a bad professor. The best professors are the ones that really push you to think outside the box and promote a conducive environment for learning. Very laid back and liberal as well. I generally don't spend physical time outside of class with my professors but I do keep in constant contact with them via email. The academic requirement is adequate for my department and is very focused on the area you are studying. The getting a job/learning for its own sake depends on the area of study I suppose. The english department is very focused on developing your skills to be successful in your career but also focuses on the actual learning of the subject as a whole.

Some of my professors do know my name, and aside from one class, the smallest room I'm in is packed with 30some people. My favorite classes are my psych classes, it really interests me. I found Abnormal Psych particularly interesting, but not applicable to my hopeful line of work. My least favorite class I took last semester - Methods of Data Collection for Sociology. Possibly it was worse because I had just come from Research Methods for Psychology, which wasn't particularly fun either. I'm not sure how often most students study, but I study nearly every day, weekends being the exception. During the week, I spend a lot of time studying, possibly more so because by the weekend I want a break. Class participation is uncommon in some of my classes. It seems that after the first couple weeks, it is established who will speak up, and after that it's more difficult to start. I feel like I take part in intellectual conversations outside of class. It might be wishful thinking, but I feel like I do. My boyfriend is an International Politics major, as well as Social Psych, and he knows his stuff, and is not afraid to have an opinion. We tend to talk about a lot of the stuff we've been going over in each of our classes, or discuss our feelings on issues covered on The Daily Show and Colbert Report. The psych class I'm in right now (PSY 3600 Malott)is definitely geared toward getting a job if you take the Croyden Practicum. I guess that would make the program geared toward career, rather than the class specifically. A lot of my classes feel like learning for its own sake, but I hope to put that to use in my career. I have never gone to a prof's office hours, as of yet. This is my 4th semester at WMU, and haven't had to meet outside of class, other than to get an email address.

It depends on the class in huge lectures its hard for them to know your name but in smaller classes they normally do. My favorite class was a sociology course i took it was just really interesting and the professor really knew what he was talking about. My least favorite was statistics because i just dont like math that much. During finals week everyone studies a ton but on an average week its not that much. Once again it depends on the class, in big lectures people tend to not participate but in the smaller classes you get to have more input. It's college so most people here are intellectual to some extent so yeah you talk about intellectual things sometimes. I dont really notice the competitiveness yet being only in my second yeah but I'm sure it will become more noticeable later. The most unique class I've taken has got to be racquet sports. I havent really taken and classes in my major yet I'm still fulfilling other requirements. I don't but they have office hours that you can go to if you need to talk to them and they are all pretty flexible. The education at WMU prepares you to get a job but the general education classes give you room to do learn about other areas that interest you as well.

Western has a range of classes from huge lectures so no more than 16 people. A lot of the prerequisite classes are in huge lecture halls. Since so many students have to take a the same classes, this is what is necessary. The majority of professor's I have had, even in huge lecture halls, are more than willing to help you. I have been struggling academically in a course before along with 200 other students and my professor dropped what he was doing to help me. You have to make the extra effort to attend their office hours but it is well worth it. Students are friendly and willing to get together to help one another with classes. Even if you don't know the person you're sitting next to, it's easy to start up a conversation and get a new study buddy. There are constantly people in the library at all times of the year so if studying is your number 1 priority, you aren't alone. My favorite classes have been the ones with funny and charming professors. No student wants to sit through a 2 hour lecture but I've had professors that have made it well worth it.

Western attracts great professors like a hummingbird is attracted to a flower. We have amazing professors along with great class sizes and lecture halls and rooms. Many classes are contained to less than 100, and if we are enrolled in the Lee Honors College we can bet all our classes are under 30 students. We are driven by success and learning, along with knowledge. Students strive to learn more and want to grow as a person by experiencing the moment when someone shares that perfect piece of knowledge that makes the light bulb go off within our minds. Class participation is expected, but often over exceeds the professors expectations. The conversations are deep and insightful and we can walk away knowing something that we hadn't before. It is a great feeling to know that we are getting what we are paying for and will take what we learn away when we graduate and go on with our lives.

In my exeperience most classes are too large for professors to know your name. I have had a couple of classes where they did though. I loved Dr. Johnson's Psychology class. He was an absolutely amazing professor. Most students do not study a lot in my experience. Class participation is semi-common. Some students have intellectual conversations outside of class but not a lot. Students are competitive...AT BEER DRINKING! Thus far the most unique class I have taken was my genesis and devlopment of rock and roll class. It was a really fascinating look at the roots of American music. I have spent time after class talking with professors and I have never had a professor who was not willing to talk to me after class for as long as I wanted to about a subject. I wish they would clamp down on the academics here. I feel it would help a Western degree be looked at more favorably.

I know my professors name and they know mine! My favorite classes are my Elementary Education classes. I love them ALL! Class participation is very common. I have a lot of discussion-based classes that are require involvement in order to get the most out of them! Some students are very competitive, while others are not very motivated at all... I'm in the Early Childhood Development major within Elementary Education. My minors are Science and Language Arts. Early childhood development basically means that I will be specialized in grades K-3rd and certified in grades K-5th. In terms of spending time with professors outside of class, I go to office hours, but only if I need to. I'm not the type to just stop by to chat. At least I haven't thus far! I'm glad that WMU is starting to try to get students out in 4 years. That needs to start happening again.

A few of my professors know my name. Mainly in the smaller classes. I have never had a bad experience with a professor. They have always been there to help in any way they could. I tend to have a problem studying but it is my own fault. Sometimes I tend to get caught up in having fun when I should be studying. A lot of my friends do study quite often though. I was just saying how I really loved it here because I can actually have intellectual conversations with other students. I love it. Someone always has something of substance to talk about. So far my classes seem to be more towards learning for learnings sake. But, I still have only taken a few classes toward my major, a lot my my classes have been gen eds. My Major is Education. I have been very happy with my consolers. They are always friendly and ready to help.

The professors know my name. My favorite class is my only class--Conversation German. I do not have a least favorite class. Students vary in the amount of time they study. Some students seem to work hard, while others just do the minimum. My professors try to encourage class participation, but students do not seem to like to participate. I've found WMU students very engaged in intellectual conversations--especially regarding politics. Students are somewhat competitive, but they also like to work in teams to help each others. I believe WMU's academic requirements do not include enough writing. For the vast majority of students, the education at WMU is geared toward getting a job more than toward learning for its own sake. In my case, the focus is on learning for its own sake.