Western Michigan University

« See more reviews of Western Michigan University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Engineering college has mostly international students, Asians, and Middle Eastern Students mostly

There is a very common stereotype associated with Western Michigan University and that is the nickname of Wastern due to house parties and fraternity parties. There are always social events every weekend on Western's campus, but that is pretty consistent with any other big university. I would say it is no different than a Michigan State atmosphere with a more compacted campus. Overall Western Students work hard during the week and play hard during the weekend, and sometimes during the week.

At WMU, the biggest sterotype I've encountered is that it's just a party school. That students don't study and go there to party. From my personal experience I want to say that at Western we do have fun, but we take school work very seriously. I don't like to generalize anyone, so why generalize western? Every person is an individual and what they choose to do while they are here is their choice.

The common stereotype of WMU consist of fulfilling the nickname of "Wastern." This implies that the students who attend this university spend most of their time getting intoxicated and are careless about grades. However, like all other stereotypes, this is not true for all students. Many of my close friends spend their Friday and Saturday nights studying in order to ensure success.