Western Michigan University

« See more reviews of Western Michigan University

The best thing about the school is the friendly atmosphere. Being a freshman at a large state school can be intimidating but everyone does their best to make sure you're comfortable. All the freshman in the school are on the same page, they're there to get their money's worth in education as well as a good time and both have been fulfilled since I arrived. I'd probably change the checking in to the dorms after 9:00 pm. They have us give them our I.D.'s when we walk in and they check to see if we live there and if you have a guest they write down all of your and your guests information. I realize it's for our safety so I'm understanding but honestly it's just a pain. My personal preference of the size of the school is that it's perfect but different people prefer different size schools so choosing what's right for you individually is important. I see people I know on campus all the time but I also see a new person everyday so it's kind of the best of both worlds in a sense. When I tell people I go to Western I usually get an indifferent response. It's a credible university and people can't deny that but it's not an Ivy League school so people aren't always overly impressed. Most people respond well though also because of the area it's in. Kalamazoo is a great town and a lot of people admire the location. I spend most of my time in the dorms, either my room or a friends just because I don't have a car and transportation is limited after 10:00 pm. I also enjoy studying in the Bernard Center which is the student center at Western. It can be too quiet in the library for me and the Bernard Center offers a more relaxed area with a Bigby Coffee, a Subway and an ice cream shop. Kalamazoo is definitely a college town with things to do for young people and plenty of bars for those over twenty one. Downtown provides restaurants and live music in multiple locations for students to spend their time. There's also a large amount of student housing all around the city surrounding campus making for a college town feel. The administration provides many ways for students to get involved and multiple ways for contact if need be. The biggest recent controversy on campus would probably be someone breaking the picnic table outside the dorms. Honestly I haven't heard much controversy regarding large issues, I'm not sure if that's because I haven't looked or if nothing's happened. There's some school pride definitely. A lot of people tailgate before the football games and sometimes the marching band will march around campus the Friday before a game to get the students ready. Many people also attend the hockey and basketball games to show their support. As far as unusual goes I'd say nothing really. There's a lot of different types of people at Western and everyone has a place somewhere you just have to find yours. What I mean is that to some people the students might be unusual but they are themselves. I'll always remember the dorm experience. Having to live with someone you've never met before or someone you've known your whole life is difficult. Everyone should experience it, it shows you a lot about yourself and some great life lessons like understanding others, patience and priorities. The most frequent student complaints would have to be the checking in to the dorms every night, the cafeteria food, money, and just basic dorm issues such as roommate troubles, and living in a tight space.

Wow, these questions are all very difficult to answer, but I will get it a try: The best thing about WMU? Definitely the students. We like to use the term "heads up campus" because people are incredibly friendly and open. It's so easy to meet people. One thing I'd change: The weather. If I had the power to move Kalamazoo, MI to a place that was always sunny and warm, I don't think I'd ever be unhappy with my college choice. WMU's size is... Just right. Part of the reason that I chose WMU was because I did not want to go to a huge school like Michigan State where I would feel like a number. I wanted my college experience to be about so much more than just my education, and I felt like Western would give me the chance to get a lot more involved outside of class. How do people react when I tell them I go to WMU... it really depends. Some students will say "Wow, I couldn't go to a school that big." Some others will ask me what I'm studying because they've heard about our programs... usually they just ask me if I know such-and-such person. And I usually have at least heard of them, which never ceases to surprise someone, including myself :) When do I spend the most time on campus... every day except for Sunday. Honestly, once you get involved in one or two organizations, your time on campus increases exponentially. Whether it is going to the 24-hour computer lab to work on homework, or go to a meeting, I feel like I am always on campus even though I don't live there anymore. Our college town is... Kalamazoo, MI. Yes there really is a Kalamazoo and I love it here. I think that if I were to stay in Michigan after college, this would be one of the only cities I would ever consider staying in. Enough said. It is incredible. What's my opinion of WMU's administration... Well, thats a bit of a biased question because I see the president of the university every Monday, Wednesday and Friday where I work... and I've been to a pool party at his house. Obviously, I love them. They're friendly and put students first. And the president is on facebook. Enough said. I'm going to skip a few questions and just go to the main point: WMU is the best public university in the state, in my opinion. As a student who could have gone anywhere to further her education, I chose it on the basis of where I could grow the most as a person AND a student. Between working with the orientation program, getting involved in Greek Life, and campaigning for student body vice president, I really cannot choose my favorite moment here. I just wish I could go to college for another 4 years and never graduate.

In my opinion, the best thing about WMU is the fact that it is a liberal school. Most of the students are easy going and get a long well with others. Fellow students generally don't look down upon one another based on their areas of studies or financial status. The one thing that I would change about WMU is the number of people who are on campus handing bibles and other religious literature. Its not that they shouldn't be there, it is that they should respect fellow students who do not believe in the same things that they do. The students (or elders) who pass out the informational literature can be quite pushy from time-to-time. WMU is just right in size. It is not too big or too small, which really shows in the classroom. Often times, you have a class of 30 or so students which really allows you to interact with your classmates and professor, to get the most out of the class. The only classes that consist of about 300 students are general education classes which are required by all students in order to graduate. I have never had a negative reaction when I tell people that I attend WMU. I spend most of my time on campus either in the arts & sciences buildings (Sangren, Sprau, Moore, Dunbar, and Brown [when it opens back up from construction]), but I also spend a large part of my time in Waldo Library and Bernhard Center, which is where the 24 hour computer lab is and the area where and the on-campus bookstore. Kalamazoo is definitely a college town. Kalamazoo College (which is a private university) is also in town, so there are lots of bars and other activities to participate in. We have lots of cultural and arts festivals throughout the summer and a very large art community. Also, there is a area known in town by campus called the student ghetto, which is where most students who live off campus reside. In that area there are houses and apartments to rent in abundance, most within walking distance to campus. From my experience, WMU's administration is adequate. The financial aid department is a little rough to deal with sometimes, because of all the issues they are always having with getting loans disbursed on time, other than that, everything is okay. The last controversy I can recall on campus was when WMU's President Judith I. Bailey was fired, I believe it was the fall of 2006, maybe 2007. I believe that there is a decent amount of school pride. Many students attend football games and wear WMU clothing around campus, it just depends on whether or not they show it.

The best thing about WMU is the atomosphere. People are so friendly and you can feel the Bronco spirit in the air!!! WMU is just the right size for me! Others may prefer a smaller or larger school. That all depends on the person. I like the size because there are a lot of people, but not so many that if affects my schooling (class sizes) or my commute to classes. Kalamazoo is a "college town" in that there are 3 different places to enroll for higher education. Although there are a lot of college students, there are also a lot of families in the area. WMU's administration is much better over the past two years. We have a new president who is very involved and highly visible around campus and at special events! It really shows how much he cares about the university and that he is interested in getting to know everything about it! I think that there is a lot of school pride, but I must say that I see to many people wearing apparel from other schools. Michigan and Michigan State apparel are very common and I would like to see that diminish. I understand that people are fans of Big 10 schools, but I would rather see Bronco apparel increase. Being an RA in Draper Siedschlag Residence Hall for 2 years will always be an experience that I will remember. Not only is it helping me now, but it's an experience that will help me continue to grow over the years for the rest of my life! Also, it has helped me meet lots of people and made me aware of all of the events that WMU has...it has truly made my entire experience at WMU so much better than I ever imagined. A major complaint that I hear is the cost of Parking Passes.

I must say that the biggest complaint most students I've heard make, as well as myself, is the cost of books. Not buying back books really makes it worse, too. Especially when the next semester, there are no Used texts for the class. The best thing about WMU on the surface is that it's gorgeous. The campus itself is very pretty, with lots of grass and wonderful places to sit (when it's not winter, of course). I really like the size of the campus, though I haven't had any classes at the College of Human Services or Engineering, or anywhere else, just on the main campus. I like that most of my teachers know me by name, if not at least recognize me, but I don't feel like it's too small by far. One thing that I would change is the requirement of a meal plan for nearly every residence hall. I think that we should be allowed to put money on our cards to eat in the Dining Services, especially since it's not much, if any, cheaper to have a meal plan, especially if you don't eat all of the meals you could. I spend most of the time I'm on campus in the library if I'm not in class. I have decently large breaks between most of my classes, so instead of walking back to my room in between them, I usually go to the library - more specifically the basement. I think they'd sell a lot more of the snacks down there if they weren't so expensive. Maybe they do well as is, but it seems like people get junk out of the vending machine more than they get decent food out of the rotating refrigerated machine.

I dont know that I could pick one thing as the best thing about Western. I would probably change some of the building they all look the same and its pretty boring. I would say the school is just right size, it is big enough to get the university feeling but you can still walk pretty much anywhere on campus in 15 minutes. Some people react by saying something about all the parties but others just say that its a good school. When I'm not in my dorm I spend most of my time on campus at the college of business or the Bernhard center in one of the computer labs. Kalamazoo is a great college town, the downtown area is really sweet and there are tons of places to eat and several movie theaters close by. Our new president is really cool he walked up to me one day in the lunch line and just started talking to me, he is really down to earth. The biggest recent controversy was that the university spend a ton of money on a dumb little parking lot thing with tables and plants in it and it never gets used. I would say that people are pretty proud to be a bronco. I will always remember sledding on lunch trays down the massive hill behind East Hall. The most frequent complaints are that there isn't enough parking on campus.

I love WMU because it is a division one university that is very diverse. There are all types of people that attend WMU.There is a good balance between males and females, a good balance between race and religion, and there are all different types of clubs and activities as well. Also, WMU is located in a fairly large city with a lot of little towns surrounding it, giving you a lot of opportunity for things to do. Downtown Kalamazoo has countless restaurants and stores for your convenience and lots of nice parks. Another cool thing about WMU, is that they try to give every student the feeling of school spirit! I still remember my freshmen orientation when all the orientation leaders were so excited and enthusiastic to be there and welcome you to the school. It really made an impact on how comfortable I felt as an incoming student. Lastly, even though Western's Greek life isn't very large, it's nice because you know everyone and it is like a little community! I enjoy going to WMU because even though it is a fairly large school in a pretty large town, it still has that "small town" feel.

wmu teaches you to think for yourself. i would update all of the facilities if i could change something. i think wmu is just right; enough faculty and programs to accommodate a lot of students, but small enough to get a lot of one on one help from teachers. a lot of people have considered wmu when suggested. as an art major, i spend a lot of time in the richmond center for the visual arts and the arts wing of kohrman hall. kalamazoo is definitely a college town, with wmu, kalamazoo college, and kvcc all in one area. wmu's administration is very much looking to a bigger future, considering adding a medical school, etc. i don't know of any big controversies on campus recently. there's tons of school pride all over kalamazoo and michigan. wmu came from very conservative roots, but it is now progressing to becoming one of the top four schools in michigan. i'll always remember being in the marching band and playing the first note of the fanfare at pregame in waldo stadium. the most frequent student complaints are about the dorms.

WMU professors care about their students. The school offers lots of helpful resources, including a great Writing Center. I'd change the cost of the school if I could. WMU is just right. When I tell people I'm going to WMU, they're surprised because of my age--then they tell me how impressed they are. I spend most of my time in my German class or working on projects related to it. WMU's current administration is trying to improve the problems left by President Judi Bailey, who was fired in 2006. The biggest recent controversy was probably the 2006 firing of President Bailey. I find many students have much school pride. WMU is a large state school with a faculty as dedicated to students at small schools. I'll always remember how the current president, President Dunn, took time out of his schedule to meet with me because I'm a returning adult student. He wrote me a special letter to congratulate me on my choice of returning to school at age 78. Student complain most often about the price of their education.

Western Michigan University is the perfect place for me. We have over 25,000 students enrolled but the campus and community still feels close, connected and interested. We have a lot to offer every student with over 300 registered student organizations, which means everybody can find a group that they are interested in, feel like they fit in and begin to thrive in their perfect environment. You don't think it's possible? Maybe it isn't possible to FIND a group that you love, thats why Western has made it possible for any student to create and run their own registered student organization with just 3 other students and a constitution. When I walk across campus I can count on a smiling face and that is my favorite thing about Western Michigan University. We are so friendly, and you may think it sounds silly but it is hard to find a large university where everyone appreciates a "hello" and a smile. That is what makes Western such a great place, everyone appreciates you for being there and being you.