Western Michigan University Top Questions

When you step off campus what do you see?

We are one of the headlining universities that are committed to "going green". WMU has such a thing called a quasi-revolving fund that we established in 1980 and it allows us to invest money in sustainability efforts and then take the money saved by that change and put it towards another sustainability effort. We were even mentioned in a case study for our efforts and how we have been doing this for many years; let it be said that we have the oldest such fund in the nation!!! This includes the accredited universities such as Harvard, which established a fund much like ours in 2001. More information on this topic can be found at this link: http://www.wmich.edu/wmu/news/2011/12/009.html We have been working hard to save the world one water bottle at a time and there are many more smaller efforts that WMU has shown throughout the years, including the new addition of multiple charging stations for electric cars and many new solar panels right on the edge of campus by the famous Miller Auditorium, the third largest auditorium in Michigan. :)

Off campus there are a lot of apartments and houses available for students to lease if they decide that they don't want to live on campus. Also, there are a lot of opportunities for jobs because there are places to eat within walking distance off campus, tanning places, convenience stores, bars, etc. If you have a car or figure out the bus system, Kalamazoo offers so many things to do and places to eat and shop! These places range from pizza places, fast food, Starbucks, salons, Target, Marshalls, Hobby Lobby, Panera Bread, Blockbuster video stores, Biggby coffee, Chipotle, Noodles and Co., and so so so so so many more! Also, downtown Kalamazoo offers cute coffee shops, fancy dining, boutiques, etc.