Western Michigan University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Western Michigan University

jenny

It is a very welcoming university and the best thing about WMU is the fact that it is a liberal school. Most of the students are easy going and get along well with others. Fellow students generally don't look down upon one another based on their areas of studies or financial status.

Western Michican University has a lot to offer. I am interested in the Occupational Therapy Program which is rated high nationally. There is a wide range of cultural activities in the surronding area and offers diversity. The instructors are encouraging and help you to reason and problem solve. I enjoy the campus.

Karolyn

I think Western Michigan University is an amazing school, which is why I am returning after an absence. The biggest draw for me is the amount of resources to help students succeed, and I want to take better advantage of all of them.

Toni

I love WMU! This is my second year here and I won't lie, first semester of my freshman year I thought about transferring and even started a few applications for other universities. I didn't completely hate it here, but I wasn't completely in love with it either. During my childhood I always pictured myself in college and being absolutely in love with it and the campus, but at the time I just wasn't, and that is why I wanted to leave. Shortly after winter break when I returned back to the dorms it truly felt different. I became more active on campus and off, and fell IN LOVE with being here. After that, I went home maybe three times the rest of the school year which isn't much. I began attending sporting events, volunteered and met some amazing people and professors! I even made close friends just from attending floor activities in the dorms. I couldn't believe how much I fell in love with WMU and I still feel the same! Professors are great and will do what they can to make sure you succeed as long as you reach out for them when you need help and put in the work to do well. So much free tutoring that really helps and lots of opportunity to give back to the community and stay active on campus!We're also undefeated in football right now and our baseball team won the MAC tournament this year so the sports are great and the people are even greater! GO BRONCOS!

Matthew

It is a great college for the student looking for an overall college experience. There is everything for all variety of students available. Plus there is always something going no matter what day of the week. Furthermore, the variety many academic programs offers a chance to change your major if you would like besides a college with only a few to offer.

Kaela

Row the boat! Western is a great place for students to come and learn. Teachers are always available to help out and the students are supportive of everyone as well! We work together as a team and that is why we say Row the Boat. Classes are great. Everyone is friendly. I am always recommending Western to those who are starting college. There is no place else that I rather be. I feel safe as a member of the LGBT communty and there are so many researches that are here to help so no one gets left behind.

It's a great school. There's plenty of ways to get involved, plenty of people to meet, and plenty of opportunities to prove to yourself and to others your academic abilities. Other students are very friendly, and professors actually care about you and your wellbeing.

Michelle

WMU is a great school to go to if you like a campus that is not in a city. We are right on the side of Kalamazoo but we don't have a ton of buildings in the city so you have buildings near each other which is great when you need to get from end of campus to another. There is tons of stuff to do on and off campus and the sports games are amazing, Go Broncos!

Kristian

My overall opinion is that the students are super friendly and helpful. The teachers are making sure you passed the class and help you to the best of the ability. It is a great time and it is also a learning experience it is something to enjoy but also something that you should not take as a joke.

Regina

This school has its flaws but overall is a great school. It has relatively inexpensive tuition and offers many scholarships. Some of the programs here are in the top of the nation. Kalamazoo is also a nice place to live, with many fun things to do. The only downside are the dorms, they are expensive for what you get. I recommend living off campus if possible.

Zacia

Western gives students the opportunity to grow and achieve their goals. The campus is very friendly and diverse. I've met a lot of people in just the month or so that i've been going here. Getting involved in organizations is pretty easy because we have so many to choose from. We are known as a party school but that usually happens on the weekends or big events. As far as academics go. The teachers are here to help and they express that. They also hold you responsible for getting things done, so it's best to stay on top of things here. As long as you are on top of the things that you need to do you should excel here. Western is a really great school. Im proud to be a BRONCO !

Isabel

I love Western Michigan University and I would definitely recommend at least visiting it if you are college searching. WMU is a great place to earn an education and it has everything I could have ever wished for in a college. I always feel safe on campus and everyone is extremely inviting.

Elisha

It is a fantastic school! Like many other colleges, it could use some improvement but those are few and far between. Most of these improvements are within tuition pricing and parking allotment, all of which students have minimal control over. Overall, the school has a great atmosphere with fantastic people.

Benjamin

Western Michigan University is in the city of Kalamazoo, Michigan a college town in south west Michigan. The student body has around 24,000 students and growing. The university is famous for music, engineering, aviation, and business as well as opening a brand new medical school. WMU also has a fantastic study abroad program for students to improve their language skills or gain experience abroad. The Japanese language department alone has around 8 different programs to choose from in Japan. I highly recommend this school. There is really a big family feeling here and the staff and professors here are top notch!

Jasmine

Western is a great school, although there are things that can be better. If you're an Asian American looking for a pleasant experience as an Asian American, you won't find much here, but the Asian Pacific American Student Association and that's the best you can do. Western tends to forget about the APIA community they have there, but they're starting to notice them, which is excellent! The greek life is pretty good, there are lots of multicultural, black and panhellenic greek orgs to join and there are over 400 student orgs, but if you can't find an organization you like then you can always create one! The teachers can be a hit or miss, but I think that it's mostly a hit, especially if you're a freshman, there are so many programs that Western offers that help with the transition from high school to college and they also have so many student help centers that you can go always go to when you need help whether it be tutoring or writing a paper! All in all, Western is a pretty good school, nice scenery, and nice people!

Markese

Although I've only been attending Western Michigan for two months I'm highly satisfied with what I have experienced so far. It's helped me move outside of my comfort zone by being surrounded by so many new and diverse people. It's also satisfying to have professors that always reach out to students if help is needed or to simply check in with progress. Another beneficial aspect of Western is the availability of meals around campus; whether it be from a dining hall or surrounding restaurant. Overall I rate this school 5/5 stars and eager to see what else Western Michigan University has to offer.

Samuel

For me I believe that Western is everything that I wanted within a college except for the weather because it can be rainy one day, hot the next, and cold on the third day. Aside from that I would say that Western is a university that many people could fit in with. There is always something going on at any given day so there's always an opportunity to put yourself out there and meet people. There are a multitude of organizations that a person can be a part of so there is a group that any student can fit in. Western also has a college town feel in the sense that Kalamazoo has Western paraphernalia everywhere, there are student discounts at most if not all places nearby, and many of the residents there try to keep up with Western and the city sets up events just for Western. The college also tries its best to help students and offers several services to maintain good physical health, mental health, and to make sure that the students will actually succeed at the college. Truly I can say that going to Western was the best option and it can prepare any person to get ready for the work force, to get into many grad programs, and to just fulfill your dreams in life.

Cheyenne

As an incoming freshman, I was terrified to come to Western. Excited, but terrified. I did not know anyone who went there, and it was over two hours away from home. However, it became fairly easy to become acclimated to my surroundings. I made a few friends, and there were plenty of opportunities to socialize outside of the classroom. I really enjoyed almost all of my classes, and felt that even though it was a big school, it felt smaller. More of a comfortable setting. The class sizes felt like my high school! Although I really did not enjoy my dorm experience one bit, it was the only option at the moment. If I could give incoming students any advice, it would be to only live in Western Heights if living on campus! This fall I will be living off campus, about thirty seconds away, and am in love with the apartment I picked out. Overall, I really enjoyed Western Michigan University.

I love Western Michigan University, overall its a great school with many different opportunities to become involved around campus and to meet different people. Classes are usually always enjoyable and the professors are easy to talk to or email if you have any questions. The student body is a group of involved people who have started many different clubs, or have different activities going. Everyone can find somewhere that they belong. The campus is a great place and definitely worth checking out even though most people don't know about the school.

I'm going into my senior year at WMU and have no regrets. I've got so many good memories and I honestly wish I had more time here.

Mitchell

Western Michigan University is a university that is clearly dedicated to providing a good experience for those attending college. They provide many opportunities, both for fun and for future job opportunities. They offer many different extracurricular activities and groups, as well as services that will help find students jobs in their fields.

Baily

I am in love with my school. You could ask any random person on campus for help and they will be happy to help in any circumstance. Faculty is just as helpful. The community is so welcoming and happy and I honestly dont know anyone that has a negative opinion of WMU. The campus is easy to navigate.

Molly

Western Michigan University has felt like home since I moved to Kalamazoo. Coming from a small Upper Peninsula town I wasn't sure how I'd adjust, but I've really fallen in love with everything WMU has to offer. Whether it be going to a hockey game or checking out the ever changing art galleries in Richmond Hall, there's something for everyone here!

Kylynn

The people here at WMU are very friendl. Also they are helpful when you need help. Also the teachers are most of the time available to you. But some are students themselves so they can be hard to get a hold of when its not office hours. Also the class sizes are pretty decent too. The bonus is the campus is very beautiful. I do not regret going to WMU

Kady

Western Michigan University isa great school. It has plenty of majors and majors to chose from and over 400 registered student organizations; there's something fro everyone! They also offer a variety of athletics on three different levels; varsity, club, and intramural that are full to participate in and watch! The student population is very diverse as well, which is a plus. The campus is continuously growing and improving.

Tyler

It is a fantastic school and I'm very glad I took the three-and-a-half-hour journey to get there from my Indiana home. I think the facilities and housing are solid, the staff is very enthusiastic and helpful and it's a great way to experience college. I took a leap of faith going out-of-state, and I'm so glad I did.

Madison

Western Michigan University is a big campus with a small campus feel. We have a diverse campus with enough students that it feel like you've gone to a huge school, but I got the opportunity to be in a cohort program so I still get to have connections and relationships with my classmates and professors. I love my school and all the opportunities it has given me.

Lee

I love it here. It's everything I've wanted in a college. The class sizes are sometimes really large but I think once the classes become more specialized to my major they'll get smaller. To me, the college is great because everyone is nice, and the food is good.

PARKER

When looking for a college we visited many schools from small to large, from the North, South, and East Coast. Our son was accepted to some big colleges directly into the engineering program but he felt Western offered to personal attention he wanted. Since being in school for one semester he feels he made the right choice.

Nick

Western Michigan University has a lot to offer. It has a beautiful campus hat is easy to get around. They provide transportation for those that don’t want to have a car. The staff is caring and easy to contact. WMU offers a wide variety of academic programs.

Anthony

I have only been here for about five months, but I can say confidently that I am extremely satisfied with my decision to come to Western Michigan University, and am excited for the next three and a half years. There are loads of things to do on campus, with something for everyone. The RSOs are great as well, and no matter who you are or how weird you think you are, you will find others who are interested in the same things as you, but unique in their own way.

Caleb

Western Michigan University is a great school I just personally feel that they should offer more financial aid to minorities. The university is sitting on millions and should reward minorities or anyone for that matter that cannot pay for school. Overall, I love the school I am incoming sophomore that enjoys all the qualities Western has to offer.

Neil

Western Michigan University offers a diverse range of opportunities; from educational, extra-curricular to political involvements. As an older student (27) who moved from Northern Ireland in 2016, WMU was wonderful at welcoming me into the American education system. If it wasn't for the excellent staff in Student Advising, I would have been lost in an alien world, far different from the education I received in the United Kingdom. As a commuter, my experience so far has been brilliant; accessible parking takes the stress out of driving from Grand Rapids everyday. On-campus food isn't terrible, but the selection leaves a lot to be desired. I would recommend bringing a packed lunch if you are going to be in all day, or if you are too cool for that (let's face it, I'm a dinosaur compared to the other freshman!), nearby Stadium Drive offers all the variety you will ever want for meals. Academics wise, you won't be disappointed in spending your time and money here. Any of my professors so far have all been extremely helpful with any questions or inquiries I have had; either about in class lectures or homework assignments. WMU also offers a great tutoring scheme, free of charge, with former top students available for help. It really does seem like the University wants to offer as much help as possible, which is a refreshing change. You won't be disappointed with on-campus facilities or extra-curricular either. There always seems to be something happening on campus, whether it's a political rally, ESPN Game Day (GO BRONCOS!), fraternity bake sales etc. There is always something to be getting involved in. Oh, and did I mention the rec center is awesome? Because it is. I wasn't looking forward to returning to education at this point in my life, but I can honestly say that Western Michigan University has greatly softened the blow. What it lacks in on-campus food options, it makes up for it in every other aspect of college life. You will not regret your decision to attend this great college. Go Broncos!

Sydney

My overall opinion of Western Michigan University is very good. I am a transfer student and I love it. I have never felt so welcomed and comfortable at a school. Students and faculty are extremely nice and supportive. All the professors really want you to succeed and give you as much help as you need.

Dominique

I love it. Western is home to me. There is a group, program, activity, or class for everyone. It’s impossible to not find your niche here. The staff is fantastic, the students and amazing and the facilities as so nice and upkept. I’d recommend Western to anyone.

Tierra

When I first came here, because I was really nervous and didn't know what to expect. This wasn't my first choice, so that made me even more nervous. But I was really surprised how friendly everyone was. There always willing to speak, ask you to join them, and check on you. The food is good, Dorm life is safe, and my teachers stay on it. So I couldn't be happier.

Dharma

Western Michigan University is an amazing University that I proud to be able to be apart of. I have grown up on the campus with my mom having worked for Western for almost 17 years. I have always loved the campus and the atmosphere that takes place on and around it. I have wanted to be a bronco since I was eight years old. Now that I am one, it is almost everything I would have dreamed of it to be. It is only my first semester so even though I have not been challenged in my classes I am hoping as the time goes on and I progress in my college career that there are more challenges for me to part take in, in my learning experience. I can not wait to continue my knowledge advancement at a place I have grown to know and love. And to continue to love it more than I already did.

Mackenzie

I absolutely loved my time at Western Michigan University. I am attending again in the fall to pursue my masters in communication as well. Western Michigan is basically the unsung hero of Michigan university's. Academically we hang with the best of the nation. Kalamazoo is a cultural hub with an awesome downtown scene. As #2 best beer city in Michigan, we pride ourselves on being home to many household names in beer. There isn't enough I could say about this wonderful university, the beautiful campus or the challenging academics. All I can say is that I am beyond excited to return for another two years!

Phillip

Western Michigan University is so unique that people often see past it looking to join a Big 10 school. Though let me tell you, the time I've spent on and off campus with students have changed any bad thought I had of this amazing university. The facilities are amazing, everything is kept clean and working by the wonderful custodial staff. The student to staff ration is 17 to 1 which is pretty good for such a large university. All the professors are so kind and great at understanding the issues you have or if you aren't getting something. The dorms are clean and tidy, the student activity center is well kept and has great workout options for everyone. The groups and clubs available in the school are second to none, there are clubs for everyone from LGBTQ to a video game club for Esports. Over all Western has more than just a great scholastic environment, the community surrounding the university allows so much more to be experienced. Lets Ride!

Nicholas

Western in is a very open welling campus since a transfered here . The students and staff are nice and the food is good. The dorms are nice for singles but a bit cramped for doubles. Youre able to walk anywhere on campus or take the bus if needed.Western also has safe ride which will take you back to campus from anywhere in the area so transportation at wertern is easy. but the valleys have a ,lot of hills which can be tiring to walk up, espcially going to class everyday.

Madelynn

Western Michigan University is a fantastic school. It has something for everyone. Sports are pretty big, but not annoyingly huge for those who aren't into sports. There's plenty of organizations and clubs on campus; there's something for everyone. I love Western, and I'm happy with my choice in attending it.

Katelyn

When I began visiting campuses to decide where to college I was told it was like harry potter, you don't choose the campus, the campus chooses you. I fell in love with western's campus as soon as I stepped foot on it and my love has only grown over my first year and a half. There are so many clubs and so many ways to get involved, its nearly impossible not to make friends and have a great time.

Bridgitt

Great community feel all the students are interested and excited in what they are doing in class and outside of class. The professors are helpful and eager to answer questions. All students and faculty really show and represent that bronco pride. Overall a great campus full of wonderful people.

Jerome

I really like my college. The campus is beautiful, the people are nice and friendly (with the occasionally weirdo), and the food on-campus and off is good. There is always something to get into especially on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. WEVWILL REIGN!!!!!

Brandon

I love Western Michigan University, it was a dream of mine to attend here since I was a junior in high school. The location is great for me, its just 45 minutes away from home and there is tons to do around Kalamazoo. Id give WMU a 10 out of 10. The campus is beautiful with nice shady trees to sit under and a nice pond to look at the fish as a break from studying. The dinning halls are great with different food choices every day. If I had to pick a college to go to hands down it would be WMU.

Perry

I'm currently a sophomore living in the dorms on campus, and for me this college has been great to me. They have dining centers that are really close to the dorms and other living areas. The bus system is pretty good, but at times they get overflowed because people don't like to walk 5 minutes to class. The winters are fun because to snow doesn't fall straight down, it's parallel to the ground most of the time and its cold, but being from Michigan I'm used to it. The sport events are all free for students and the hockey games are really energizing to go to.

Cassondra

I absolutely love this school. It is very welcoming with a gorgeous campus. There are so many things to do both on and off campus. The surrounding cities are very nice. Overall, I feel pretty safe, plus there are on campus police, plenty of police call boxes, and campus transportation to help students feel safe. I feel I am getting a very good, well-rounded education while experiencing many of the other activities and organizations WMU has to offer.

Duncan

I really like it! It's a very nice place, the overall color scheme is quite drab (brown and yellow? ugh.) but other than that I have no complaints. A nice, well maintained gym, beautiful landscape, and helpful staff and students. Excited to attend in the fall!

J

I have been to manny universities and this one is subpar. They have some practices that draw you into taking more classes than you should have needed. I my self have lost $1000's due to their practices and have witnessed many others affected to a greater extent. They often rely on student workers to carry the work load and don't provide them with parking passes and pay them unspeakably low wages. Just because the school is cheap doesn't mean it's worth it.

Randi

My overall opinion is that Western Michigan University is a great school and even though I'm only going to be a freshmen in the fall, everything makes it seem like I'll love it there and I'm glad that I chose this school. I got the classes that I requested and my schedule is pretty okay.