Western Nevada College

« See more reviews of Western Nevada College

If i could go back to my senior year of high school, when i was making the transition from being a senior to a freshman in college i would really make sure to remind myself to get things done earlier, such as applying for scholarships or any type of financial aid, so i wouldn't be scrambling for money at last minute. I would stay on task and constantly push myself to get it done , no matter how lazy i feel because it would benefit me in the end, and assure that i wouldn't have to rely on anyone else for money.

I would first explain to myself that college is a whole different world than high school. In college the main person in charge of your success is yourself. Gone are the days when teachers hound you to get your assignments done! I think that I would also tell myself to take my time and figure out where my interests lie before rushing into school. I believe because school is an investment in time and money it is pivotal to not go into school to appease anyone but yourself. If only I knew then what I know now!

I would tell myself to stay focused and to work harder on my school work. If I had a chance I would get my GPA up because then I would have been able to apply for more scholarships and I may have had a chance to win more than the two that I did recieve. I did slack in a few of my classes, though I did have good grades, I could have done better and earned higher grades. Financially it is difficult for me to earn money or to get any from my parents. Any financial assistance would help me further my education.

If I could give myself advice as a high school senior I would say: "Apply for as many scholarships as you can find, because students loans are a huge financial burden." I would say: "Make sure you get involved with student activities, like clubs and study groups, because its an easier transition when you have friends and peer support." I would say: "Take advantage of everything your school has to offer. The teachers, the tutors, the counselors, they are all there to help you succeed. Make the most of it"

The advice I would give myself is to stay focused and stay in school. I went to college right out of high school and after a year and half I dropped out. Now 14 years later and going back to school full time, with a full time job and a family is considerably harder. I would encourage anyone to go to school and finish what you have started. Even if you do not know what you want to be, just follow what you like. That is the advice I would give any confused high school senior or myself.

Assuming that I could back into time and talk to the senior me, I would let her know to get her act into gear and start applying for scholarships!! I qualified for enough financial aid when I first started but having the extra scholarship money would have helped a lot! Also I would let myself know that college is a completely different social setting and different place from high school. It was a shock going from a high school setting to a college setting, but it was refreshing!

I would tell myself to wake up and pay attention, good grades in high school will make a huge difference and that a college education is so much more worth completing than i originally thought, make more of an effort, you are a smart girl, apply yourself and you will go farther than you could ever imagine!! Your children will look up to for it, you will feel better about yourself in the long run!!

I would tell myself to stop partying so much and get my head out of the stars and start thinking about my future. I would stop being so obsessed with boys and stop thinking about who I wanted to marry and have children with. I would not worry or obsess with who liked me and what people thought of me. I would have focused more on my grades. If only we all had a crystal ball.

Always follow your dreams and maintain a postive attitude.