Western New England University Top Questions

Do not worry if you do not know anyone at the univeristy you will be attending, you are going there to be educated and develope yourself as a person, not to go out every night drinking and getting yourself into trouble. Focus on school and do not get behind. It is most rewarding when you achieve greatness in the classroom, rather than at any party for how much you can drink, or in the social competition of how many friends you might think that you have. College is about learning, academically and personally. Yes, you will learn in the classroom, but you will also learn about yourself. You will learn about struggle and having to work 4 jobs to help pay for the outrageously expensive tution, even for a commuter, and to pay for a car to get you to and from those 4 jobs, and to school, daily. It will not be easy, but you will feel a sense of independence and self respect when you look back and know that you successfully provided for yourself. The four years of college is a time to set yourself up to be succesffuly and independent for the rest of your life.

I would tell myself to immediately apply for college. I took a year off from school to work and save money, and now I regret not going in the fall with the rest of my peers. While I have saved some money, I don't like my job, and I feel stuck in my boring town. College will hopefully open new career doors for me and allow me to socialize and enjoy my education.

You've been through a lot to get here, and not everybody is going to get it. Stay true to yourself; I hate to give such hackneyed advice, but it's true--there's only one person out there exactly as you are. The day of graduation is the day high school is out of your life forever; the popular kids and the loners are on the same footing socially, and you have a leg up from them now. It's cool to be a nerd in college. People want to do well, and people will respect you for paying attention and doing your work. You can speak up in class and not be "that geeky kid." It's difficult to transition socially, but remember to make eye contact, smile, and always carry around a Harry Potter book--if someone comes up to you because of it, you've just met your best friend! Nobody knows each other in college; everybody is as anxious as you to make friends, so it'll be easier. They aren't the same immature kids you grew up with. Stay organized, do your homework in advance, and don't hide in your room!

If I was given the ability to go back in time and talk to my self as a highschool senior, I wouldn't give any advice. This is because as a senior, I already learned all of life'e lessons in terms of academics. It was my junior year that gave me the most issues. By that time everyone around me was mentally "college ready" as I barely scraped by in both grades and SAT scores. A wise man once said that in order to get to heavan, one must go through hell; what I firmlly beleve led to my sucess as a highschool senior was the "Hell" I experienced my junior year. Through the fire and flames of my junior year, this once sandy dessert was molded into smooth glass. I became more responsible for my actions and learned many new attributes that guide me as a college student today. As bad as my junior year was, I was able to survive and become a stronger student. That is why if I had the ablilty to go back in time and give advice, I wouldn't.

I would tell myself to just be himself. There would be no worrying about being afraid to be open to people. Everyone here would enjoy who he is and who he will become. The transition will be easy and your PA (Peer Advisor) will help you along the way to help you if you need it. I would let myself know that there are people you are going to meet that are just like him friendly, wacky, and non judging. My old self was more shy and not really out going I would tell him that it all gets better from here don't be afraid to be yourself and accomplish as much as you , because time flies in college.

Arlenys

To keep focuse, do not get distracted. Work even harder, don't give up when things turn differently from what you expected. Ask professors for help, ask questions and DO NOT Procastinate.

Mariah

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self about the transition to college I would tell my self 3 things. I would make sure to tell the younger me to not fear the future so much and to embrace change. I know now that time will keep passing no matter how much I fear it. There's no point in fearing something I cannot fight. I'd also tell myself not to be so scared of getting lower than an A, but to always work my hardest and appreciate that I am a smart person. Getting an A doesn't define my intelegence. Lastly, I would tell myself to always stick by what I believe. I'd tell me to never change my opinion just to fit in because two people can have different opinions and still be friends. I shouldn't change myself for other peoples' benetfit. These three things would have meant a lot to me to hear in high school.

Carolyne

I would tell myself to breathe, be more confident, think about what I want to do in life, and not be afraid to be a leader. College is easy once you dediscate the time. The people are so welcoming. There is nothing to worry about. Being myself and letting others see who I am is the most important part of becoming a part of any community.

Jaquan

Now that I have gone through my first year as a college student, there are some questions I would like to ask my high school self. The biggest question would be, "Why aren't you working harder?". Now I'm sure that thousands of other people applying for this scholarship would tell their former selves the same thing, but my case was extreme. High school was simply too easy. I never felt challenged enough to apply myself. While the teachers I had in high school were great, I knew how to manipulate them. It was so bad that I stopped doing a majority of my homework at the end of my sophomore year. Instead of making up the assignments, I could make a deal with my teachers to get them to drop some homework grades if I were to get a high grade on the next test. I knew I could pull it off but they didn't so they almost always took me up on that offer. I thought I would be able to get by in college with the same approach but it is not a possibility. I wish I could've broken my habits and hubris sooner.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell him to never procrastinate. I procrastinated all four years of high school, either receiving decent grades or barely passing. If I had pushed myself academically, I would've had more confidence in myself, and that would've gave me the motivation to apply for scholarships and colleges sooner instead of waiting an entire year. I have learned recently that you can (sort of) get away with procrastinating in high school. College, from what I've heard from relatives and friends, is a different story. With stricter deadlines and more assignments, procrastinating in college will only get you lower grades and low confidence. Procrastination is a habit that you should never create, but if you realize how bad it can be, you can stop the habit before it is too late. This is what I' would tell my high school senior self if I can go back in time. But I can only dream.

Apply yourself in everything. Do not waste a single minute and cherish the moments you have.

Krista

I would suggest going to a community college and taking your general education requirements there to save money, unless you have a specific major that requires all four years to complete.

Elinor

I don't regret my decisions, because if I did things differently, I may have have not been here when my dog was put to sleep, or when my sister needed someone to look up to, but I do often wonder how things may have been if I did choose another school. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd tell myself to start being proactiv. I would tell myself to start applying for scholarships and look into schools more. When I picked the school I am currently in now, I didn't have any real knowledge about the school aside from the fact that I was admitted and my best friend was going there. I would tell myself to stop being so naive and to go look more in depth into schools and campuses. I picked the most prestigious school I found myself admitted to and I went with it. I would also warn myself that I really should not go to such a small school; that a bigger school is more suitable for me and that scholarships are more important then I could ever possibly imagine.

The advice that I would give to myself is to be true to yourself. My high school offered a pre-engineering program. Since my dad is an engineer, I enrolled to see if I would like it. I did and decided to apply to college for engineering. The college courses were a struggle and my stress level was high. I did pass the courses but some just barely. After speaking to my college counselors, I realized why I had made these choices. It was because I wanted to show my dad up, that I could do it too. Well, my lesson is I did not belong in engineering because that is not what is going to make me happy. I am pleased to report I have found what will make me happy and I am doing it for me. It was a good lesson to learn and thankfully I learned it after my first year in college. If I had realized back then why I was making these choices then maybe I could have realized my true journey earlier as I did not give other options in college any consideration.

Macmillan

The advice i would give my self as a high school senior if i had the ability to go back in time would be something along the lines of try harder. If i had applied myself more in highschool i would have not only been able to acheive higher grades, but i would have been more prepared for the work load in college. Intead of just barely getting by with the minimum in high school, I would tell myself to go above an beyond because you are not expected to do anything less than that at college.

I would advise myself to not jump into anything too soon. I would tell myself that opportunities will arise and it is okay to take time to think about how you will feel about them. I would also tell myself to be open to new things. By meeting new people and friends it definitely makes the college experience more rewarding. I would make sure that I understood that college is different and challenging but as long as I stay focussed I can achieve my goals. Also, I would tell myself to utilize my resources and see that people are there to help if I ever need it. College is a place to discover yourself and I would inform myself that I will be doing just that by taking advantage of opportunities that arise for me.

kristy

Thus far I have gotten excitement. I have not been in school in almost 20 yrs. Just going through the process of registration, choosing classes, the finaical aid process has already shown me some of my strengths & weakness. Just going to the health care orientation, was a learning experience for me. It allowed me to make a choice on what would be my final degree plan. So just participatin in on event at the college even before my 1st class has been valuable to my by letting me know what would be a better choice for me.

I've made a ton of mistakes throughout my college career?and I mean a TON! Yeah, there were some great decisions made: I continued to participate in athletics as a varsity collegiate athlete, stepped into a few leadership roles, including work as a Resident Assistant and as a community programming chair. I fell in love, made lasting friendships, received a few job offers?but through all of these accomplishments, some difficult challenges occurred too. I forgot to do some assignments, did poorly on others, slept through class, let people get to me when I shouldn't have, disappointed some of the people whom I worked so hard to impress, and worst of all, disappointed myself. What I learned most from my experience thus far in college, is a lot about life. Not only are there going to be some great times, but there are also going to be some very difficult times. We need to grow from any and all mistakes that we may make, take that experience and turn it into the future that we all deserve. I feel that without attending college, I wouldn't have been able to gain this "true-to-life" kind of experience.

I am currently a senior in High School looking to attend college, for this I'll tell about my High School experience and relate to my intended college experience. As a freshmen in High School I was unprepared, with pressure from my parents, friends, and the school I had to juggle my priorities, sometimes putting homework in front of my family or putting my friends in front of my family. Into my junior and senior year I started to mature when I opened my eyes and realizied some truths in life that I never bothered to examine before. Upon querying further into these thoughts I began to reflect upon my earlier years of high school, perceiving that the four years of high school have been a test of maturity and judgement. Taking in other's faults with my own I began to learn from mistakes that helped me craft the person that I am today, preparing me for college. College will test me, college will push me until I break, and college will prepare me for the life outside of the walls of education.

Lynne

Make sure you choose your roommate wisely and don't slack with applying for scholarships because there is so much money available to help you pay your college bills. Apply to more colleges and universities this time that way you have a wider selection to choose from and pick the college that you feel will best suit you and your needs.

Attending college does help individuals further their education in order to find a valuable career for the future. My future while in being a high school senior once again was myself graduating from a 4 year college with a Bachelor's in Psychology and a minor in Spanish. After the graduation I would attend graduate school to recieve my Master's in Education in becoming a Spanish teacher. Once the school is completed, I will want a family and enjoy my career to the point I will love to be involved with the school and maybe become a soccer coach for the middle school. All of these points within my goals force me to do well every step I take with my education. I need to do well with everything I do as well as extracurricular activities to help in having a variety of aspects within my resume for a job. Therefore, everyday I wake up I will want to succeed and push in succeeding so that my goals come true.

amber

Now that I have spent my first semester at college, I understand a little more about how it works. I can tell you that although college takes a lot of hard work and dedication, it is worth it because like high school, you learn something new about yourself through it. You have many opportunities to challenge yourself, and discover what brings true meaning to your life. College is different, and there will be many people who will be there to help you through the first year. They understand the different emotions that can accompany you through your first several months, and will be an invaluable asset to your first college experience. You will be accepted to the school of your choice, and you will do great. Trust in your abilities, and breathe.

I wouldn't change much at all. My transition to college life was so easy. I would advise myself to buy the text books online instead of at the bookstore because they rip people off with the textbooks. I would also say bring a better tv and a vaccuum. The tv my roomate and I have now is so small. Its hard to watch tv from our beds but we manage and my roomates vaccuum broke the first day so we have had to use other people's vaccuums. We really try to keep our room clean so a vaccuum would be useful. I would also tell myself to enjoy summer and stop worrying about college. I didnt enjoy summer as much as a i could. But the biggest thing i would tell myself would be to live life and be yourself. Don't try to impress other people but being fake but rather impress them by being yourself. Live life to the fullest too. Freshmen year is flying by and you have so much more fun and life is so much better when you just live. Thats the key to college is living life to the fullest.

Make sure that you understand what you are looking for in a college and take every opportunity to explore many different colleges before making your final decision.

Just breath. People are friendly and generally want to help you. If you are nervous about something discuss it with friends and family before coming to a conclusion, and when you come to your decision just know that it is the right choice for you at this point in your life.

Shaina

I would advise myself to work on my algebra and time management skills and not to be afraid of being outgoing. I have met a lot of good people here and even though I am only 21, I have learned more life lessons since being here than in the entirety of the rest of my life. The engineering curriculum is rigorous, but don't be afraid to ask for help- there are plenty of people here willing to teach you how to accomplish your goals and who genuinely want to see you succeed.

Youre doing the right thing. WNEC is the place for you, be yourself and just be the hard worker you are. Dont be nervous the softball team is very inviting, those girls will be your new family. You have picked the right path just follow it and dont worry about your college experience, everything will fall into place.

Marianne

I do not think I would change anything related to my academics but I would make many more changes in my personal life. I did not realize how important school would become to me. I had always wanted to be a nurse and I let my personal life slow down the process. I became a nurse and love it. Although I perservered through some tough times and have slowly accomlished the steps required to fulfill my ultimate goals I do not think I would have taken the same path to get where I want to go. I want a Phd in nursing. I feel it is important to share my knowledge along with giving back as a volunteer. I just started my Masters degree in gerontology because the population is aging and there will be a large need for nurse educators in the area of aging. I have worked in geriatrics for 30 years and realize the importance of having nurses specially trained in this area. I love my field and the more I learn the more I know there is so much left for me to learn

go where you think you will succed

To find the right college, I would recommend that both the parents and the students find out what the student's preferences are because he or she will be able to feel more comfortable away from home. Also, they should go online to do research on the colleges that matched his or her preferences; additionally, I would set up a profile in college search engines such as campus discovery and college board because these can help you narrow down your choices. I would also highly recommend visiting the campus by setting up an appointment or drive around the campus on your own; and I would recommend applying to more than one college and set up a list of safety schools just in case the student is not able to get into his or her top choice. Once he or she is in college, the best way to making the most of the college experience is to not only focus on the studies but to also become involved in school activities and volunteer activities that he or she feels passionate for; he or she will be able to make friends and gain an education beyond the classroom.

I don't know

Elissa

Make sure to find a place where you feel comfortable, there is a feeling you get from the admissions counselors or walking on a campus that just tells you that the place is right for you. Also, make sure there is a focus on the area that interests you so that you're not trying to major in something where there is no strong expertise.

Kids might think college is purely about partying in the start, and then about finding a high paying job after. Parents might think the kids will just kill their livers and waste their money. Both aren't accurate statements at all. For students, college is about discovering oneself, and for parents, it the realization that their child(s) are really able to be on their own. At first there might be some fear, anxiety, or sadness, ut don't let this bring you down. Everything will work out in the end if you are accepting to the changes that are to come. Have fun, but be eresponsible, and it will all work out.

Cait

Visit all the schools that your child wants to apply too, and let the child choose where to go. Let them live their dreams, and if money is the problem...help them get through it, you'll always find a way. As a freshman be open, and get involved!!! I can't say that enough.

The best advice I could ever give, is make sure you tour the college and could see yourself spending everyday living and learning on the college campus you choose. If you can't see yourself there, enjoying yourself and being a successful student, then you won't be able to make the most of your college experience. I only visited 4 colleges before I narrowed my applications down to 2. But the reason my list was narrowd was because I could only see myself living and learning happily at the 2 schools. Ultimately, WNEC became my top choice because the campus was much more suitable to the type of living I imagined and my learning style. Ultimately, don't let simply the price tag make the decision for you, go where you are going to be happy and succesful and in the end, the financials will work themselves out. Even if you spend a couple extra years paying off college loans, you'll have the 4 best years of your life, at an institution that made you happy, to always remember.

Marisa

Growing up I was always changing my mind about what I wanted to do when I was older. Soon I was 18-years-old and actually had to decide what I was going to do with my life and what college would be most beneficial. Many factors that led to my college choice. Lacrosse has been my passion for years and since I had no idea what I wanted to do for a career I decided I would let lacrosse help lead my way. Although there were many appealing aspects of the different schools I searched Western New England College was somewhere I felt like I could find myself. I ended up not even playing lacrosse my first year in college but I found so much about myself and ended up switching from a business to a criminal justice major. This year I enjoy playing lacrosse again and my criminal justices classes keep me on my toes. My advice for students is to follow your heart and take a chance. My advice for parents would be to let your children make their choices because it is their future and do not let anything get in the way of stopping them.

Luke

I would tell them to make sure that their student is ready to go to school because I know that I would of done a lot better if I had taken a year off instead of being thrown to the wolves since i was homeschooled and did not know what a typical day or workload would be at college.

I would advise them to really check out the school and make sure the school has the right academics. I think it is very important the the school has the major that you are interested in studying.. I also think it is important that everyone check the surrounding area to make sure that the college is in an area where you will not only feel safe but also has many cultural activities. Do not make a decision without visiting the campus. Go on a campuus tour but also try to talk with different students on the campus. I would also advise everyone to become involved in different activities that are offered on campus. Do not be afraid to study hard but also have fun. Enjoy yourself you are only a college student once. I would also tell them to make a decision on what college to attend based on their needs not where their friends are going

Martha

It is not about what the parents want, it is about the student feeling comfortable and happy with their own choice. If you have no idea what to do for a major, take a few different courses and talk to people on campus, they will help you decide. Get out and about on campus because it's the only way to meet new people. If the school is offering fun activities or events--GO! and have fun. College isn't ALL about school work, it's about a new and exciting experience that only comes once in a lifetime. If you must drink, even though there are plenty of people out there who DON'T, be careful and know your limits. All in all, have fun but work hard and always do what feels right!

I would tell parents that they should try not to influence their child's decision about a college too much. Let the student make his/her own decision because they are the ones who are going to have to be there for 4 years. I would tell students to look at the academic services that the college offers, not just the social life. There will be times when classes are hard and the academic services will come in help. I would also tell them to notice how the faculty interacts with the students because that too plays an important role in you college years.

take your time and dont rush into things. do your research . get involved with your school to get the most of the college experience.l

The advice that I would give parents and students about finding the right college would be to do lots of research before applying for schools. I would recommend having a checklist of things that are important attributes to a college and then start researching schools from them. I wish I had been more organized in my college search. Luckily for me, my college choice worked out despite my lack of research, but for many they end up dissatisfied because they didn't know enough about a school before selecting it. I strongly recommend going to the schools and visiting as well. Remember to ask lots of questions from guides, students, professors, and anyone you meet on the campus. I recommend talking to students who are not employed by the admissions office. They have a job to do and its selling the campus, if you talk to students on the campus they are more likely to give you the real scoop on what you want to know. Lastly, figure out the money issues. Student loans are so easy to get, but students rarely think about the day when they have to be paid back, and it can be a shocking experience.

kimberly

Students should start early when looking for a college. Students and parents should not rush through colleges. Take your time and visit colleges often. Financially plan for your education.

Expect the unexpected prior to arriving, and when you do arrive - MAKE THE BEST OUT OF EVERYTHING. These really are the best, and shortest, years of your life. It's all what you make it.