Monmouth, OR
Western Oregon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Oregon University

Drew

Western Oregon University is a small campus compared to most with the most academic opportunity. With class sized up to 25 in most you as a student has that much more of a chance than those in a class with 800 and up. It's great to know your professors. But aside from the wonderful academic opportunities the events held on campus for its students is limitless, with speakers who come in, with clubs ranging from Black student Union to LGBT clubs, everyone has a place to go. As a minority I feel welcome and not shut down for any reason. I feel as though I have just as much of a chance as the person next to me. And that compared to anything and everything that I want in a college experience is the most important, to feel eligible and allowed.

I have really enjoyed attending westen so far, I think it's a pretty nice school and its really nice how close together all the buildings are. The food selection is good, but its a bit tough being a vegan because the only label foods as vegetarian or not. It's also annoying trying to get access to a kitchen.

Noelle
College Life

College Life

It is a great campus with a really interactive community! You just need to get involved and get out there. The only problem with Western is the financial aid and administration office communication with students.

Alex

For the Most part many of the students seem very passionate about whatever the degree is.

I would tell myself to not be so scared of the transition to college. I would strongly suggest don't be afraid to ask for help when needed because many of the staff here are really supportive. Don't be afraid to go out and get involved with the events on campus because you'll meet so many new people during new student week, I would say: Fallow your interests and dreams by getting involved with clubs that support that because chances are you will meet a lot of people possibly with the same major/ or minors as yourself. Basically, Making connections is really really important. you never know when you may use those connections

At any university and expeciallly at Western, Students who shouldn't go to this school are students who are not passionate about their degree or put other priorities above education.

Divine

Western Oregon University is an amazing and caring school. When I first visited the school, I fell in love with the school immediately; I visited the school more than three times while I was still in high school. It is absolutely a great school and the staff members are very helpful and very kind. This is my second year at Western Oregon University and still feels like home. When I tell people that I go to WOU, they say that I made a good choice. The school is just right; not too large and not too small. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone.

Gerd

Never forget to be diligent about your studies. A college student has far more responsibility that demands one to always have the eyes on the prize. Always be prepared to study in order to do well in your classes so you can be proud of yourself and your achievements. It is easy to get lost in studying for school and focusing on your own interests when you are not, but it is also important to make friends and treasure those friends who take an interest in you. The world can be a difficult place and the tasks thrown at you will be hard at times. It may seem daunting and you may lose motivation due to how overwhelming it is, but it is important to keep working at it. If not a large chunk at once, then piece by piece so you do not regret it later due to procrastination, which can easily get you if you are not careful. Most important, never forget your better qualities. College and real-life responsibility can take a toll on you, but remember to always hang on to your kindness and respect towards others. Always maintain your sense of humor and keep smiling.

It is far away from other places like Salem, Corvallis, and Dallas without a vehicle. Monmouth might be a bit too small for those who want more busy places around them.

Students who are used to living in larger cities and who enjoy having large crowds and multiple stores/things to do very close by.

David

I wish I had known how expensive college really was. There's the tutition cost, but before you come to college you have to know that you will be spending more money than just what you spend on the standard fees. There's the costs of room and board, all the supplies you will need and textbooks. Most colleges will give you an estimate to what this will cost but in my experience I ended up losing a lot more money than I thought I would. It put extra pressure on me and my family, I wish I'd known.

The worst thing about Western Oregon Univeristy is the size, it's a small college. However, this can be percieved as the best thing about the school as well. If you want a big school, Western Oregon should not be the college of your choice. Monmouth is also a very small town, you make your own fun here. Salem, Portland and Woodburn are all fairly close, (Salem 20 minutes, Portland, an hour and a half, Woodburn half an hour). There are also activities on campus that students can be involved in or go to.

Hevin

My classmates are focused, reliable, and very dedicated to their studies while being active in the campus community.

Western Oregon University has a low out of state student tuition. It was a reputable, accredited university in a rural setting. It is a very small campus with a godd student-teacher ratio.

I would love to smack past me. I did great it school, seeing as I was my school's only salutatorian, but I lacked focus in and outside of the classroom. I hardly studied, which is a hard habit I'm trying to get into, and my organization skills are mediocre at best. I would advise myself to do so much differently. I would say to stop being lazy and join a sport, seeing as I had the potential but lacked the drive. I'd scold my past self to stop taking the easy road in classes and challenge myself more than just advanced placement classes. I would definitely beg myself to get a job because my bank account is one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I would implore myself to apply to scholorships much earlier than I did with a greater frequency. I would reassure myself that the transition into college wasn't awful, but I should branch out beforehand. The rest of my advice would be petty, like "stay away from boys," and maybe even "go to the better high school," though I am sure I would have petulantly refused to follow either of those.

Miranda

Western Oregon University has many strong academic and atheltic programs (particularly the ASL, Criminal Justice, Pyschology and rugby and frisby golf programs) a small but gorgeous campus, excellent resources for its students, a commited staff, and a friendly community.

I would advise myself to participate more in the community that is provided. I tended to stay in my room and focus on my studies but I probably should've explored more so that I could join more clubs and activities so that I could have a stronger sense of belonging on campus and in the Monmouth community. Along with participation within my community, I wish I would have been more committed to finding a job around campus or within Monmouth because it helps with participating in my community but also is a good way to learn responisibility and spend my extra time.

I wish I had known more about the communities to live in as a freshman on campus.

Dominique

As a senior in high school, I wasn't sure what to expect in college. I earned A's and B's, but I didn't study much. As I started my freshman year in college I was unprepared for the workload, I ended up earning B's and C's my freshman year in college. I would advise myself to practice studying in high school, so I'm more prepared for the amount of time I have to spend studying in college. In college most of the grades are based on exams, which requires study habits. By practicing studying in high school I would be preparing myself for the study habits I will use in college. I would also advise myself to apply to more scholarships, and save up money because there's a lot more free time in high school to apply to scholarships than there is in college, and if I had more money saved up I would be able to pay some things off out of pocket, rather than having to take out loans. By following this advice as a high school student I would be prepared for college both educationally, and financially.

Lack of diversity in the classroom. I'm an African American male, and most of the time I was the only African American in my class.

A person who prefers smaller class sizes, and a small campus.

Western Oregon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.