Monmouth, OR
Western Oregon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Oregon University

Charlene

My school is a wonderful community where everyone knows everybody and the teachers truly care about the students

If I could go back in time and give myself some advice as a high school senior, it would definitely be to work as hard as I could regardless of the grade that I recieved. Study habits are extremely important, and it is definitely something that I lacked in high school. Although I did well in high school, I didn't work as hard as I could have. I did enough to pass my classes, but I did not value the information that I was recieving. If I would have paid more attention and tried harder, then I may have gained a lot more knowledge that could have been beneficial to me now. So, if I could tell myself one thing, it would be to truly do my best in everything that I do in order to portray the best me that I possibly could.

I wish that I had been more prepared for the amount of research that is needed in order to do the work. I did not do a lot of reasearch in high school, so having to look things up and study was a fairly new thing for me.

Caitlin

Before I got deeper into the classes for my specific major, I was with a lot of students who seemed out of place. The first couple years atteneding Western it seemed like a lot of students were there just because they did not know what else to do with their lives, however, now that I am about to start my student teaching it is rare that I come across a student who is not looking into their future.

Choose a different hall and roommate immediately! College is supposed to be the best time of your life, so make it just that! Do not try and please everyone, always do what is best for you, and do not stress because you'll have the campus down in less than a week. It's okay to realize that your friends from high school and you are on different paths, do not worry because you will find new ones. Continue to focus on school like you always have but do not forget to be social too! Just remember: have fun!

Someone who wants a community based education. If you want to be known by your professor, Western is definitely the right choice.

Felecia

Western's campus is beautiful and tight niche. Professors actually remember their student’s names, and are thoughtful and supportive of students needs. At WOU we don’t get very many student teachers or teaching assistance teaching our classes--we actually get the professors themselves. Additionally, WOU supports students who are involved with multiple programs or athletics.

If I could talk to my high school self, I would encourage myself to take more AP classes, to branch out a little more, and to take ASL classes in high school. First, I would tell myself not to worry about an intense course load, and to just gain the experience of taking a wider variety of higher level classes (not just focusing on AP Language Arts courses). Additionally, I would want to reach out to more people and develop more friendships. As rewarding as it was to have a tight nit group of friends—whom I all cheered with—it would be nice to develop a wider rage of relationships. Lastly, I would want myself to take ASL in high school, instead of waiting until college to learn ASL. Because my major is in Special Education, having a base line understanding of deaf culture would be helpful before entering college.

WOU is best for people who want personal attention, small classroom sizes, and a fast pace, but thorough, curriculum. With the wide variety of support systems for students with disabilities Western is a great school for any type of learner/student. What is very appealing about WOU is their specialty programs; for example WOU is a well known and respected school for ASL studies and interpreting, Education, and Special Education.

Caroline

I think the best piece of advice I would give myself is to jump into things. In high school, I wasn't a big joiner, and coming to college is a great time to try out for plays and join clubs and its also a great way to meet people. Also, I would tell myself to relax and be myself. College is completely different from high school in that you have more freedom. Of course there is the obvious freedom like living on your own and choosing your schedule and what not, but there is also the freedom of a new town with entirely new people who know nothing about you. You can make yourself be anyone you want, and for someone like me who was a little shy in high school, I finally felt brave enough to come out of my shell and be the real me. In high school I was really worried about making friends and now that I'm here, I wish I had known how different college really is, and how different I can be when I feel safe to open up and be myself.

Western Oregon is a small school in a very small town, so I wouldn't recommend it to someone who just wants to party at school, or someone who enjoys city life or lots of people. Other than that, I would say everyone is accepted here.

I love to brag about the American Sign Language program. The ability to learn the language, and the fact that it is one of the on;y schools on the west coast that offers ASL as a major is a very big deal. It also introduces you to a lot of people that are part of a tight knit community on campus. I think this program, and the community you become a part of really sets us apart.

Alexandria

I would begin by advising myself not to be afraid to step out of my comfort zone and try new things. Though it may be scary or intimindating, you never know what you're missing until you give it a try. Take advantage of the extra-curricular activities offered! Not only is extra-circular activities important but it also gives you the opportunity to meet and interact with people of diverse backgrounds. Enjoy the journey for it will shape your future and make the most of these four years because they go fast!

Anyone looking for a positive college experience at a small university that has a lot to offer!

Devon

Western Oregon is known for it's beauty and small school setting, but the main reason why, and another reason why I came to Western Oregon, was it's outstanding Criminal Justice courses available for Criminal Justice majors. Not only does Western Oregon offer the best Criminal Justice course in Oregon, but also on the west coast. Departments in the Criminal Justice field would agree that a degree from Western Oregon is an excellent accomplishment when filling out a resume.

If I could go back in time and talk to my past self then there would be two major things I would mention. The first being to take advantage of the AP classes available to reduce the number of credits you need to take in college. Even though the classes will be challenging, you are going to college for a reason. In addition once you get to college, those required classes you need to take freshman year will not only be completed, but you can also have yourself some extra cash by not paying for those classes. The other piece of advise I would give myself is to not take the easy way out. By this I mean actually studying for midterm and not just browsing over notes the night before. College isn't like high school where you can watch TV before a final exam and still pass the class. When midterms or finals week comes, there may be nights where you are up 24 hours getting ready for your final exam. If I could summarize what transactions need to be made, it would be to apply yourself to succeed in college like I did in high school.

When the conversation about college or education gets mentioned in any conversation with my friends, I always bring up Western Oregon University and how this campus compares to other universities across the nation. I always tell them the main reason why I choose Western Oregon over other schools was simply due to the small school setting. Since I graduated from a small high school I feel comfortable with the size and how it's like a family setting at times. In addition, all the trees, wildlife, plants, and older buildings make Western Oregon an absolutely beautiful campus.

Brandon

I honestly cannot think of anything that would be considered the "worst" when it comes to this school. As I ponder what it could be, only positive things come to mind. I guess a minor thing I could say would be there could be more to do on campus, but considering the area that Western is located in, there isn't much to do anyway.

I brag about the teaching program first and formost. It is extraordinary, the instructors are great and the programs that are in place are able to be completed on time and there is plenty of support for students. They have plenty of experience in the field and they do a great job of staying current by attending various confences and such. They make a priority to create a great crop of teachers for future Oregon students.

Blanca

Being the first one in a family of nine to go to college was challenging, but not impossible. I had to do everything on my own. For instance, I didn't know how to look for scholarships or universities. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself two advices. First, I would tell myself to participate in higher club/organization positions. Such as, being in the student government club, president of varies different clubs that I was a member of, and be a part of more school activities. If was hard to do these activities because my parents thought it was a waist of time and they wouldn't give me permission to participate in them. The second advice I would give myself is, to take the risk in taking higher level classes. In my high school they offered college classes. For example, writing and history classes. Also, taking college classes they offered at the community college. If I knew I was going to assist college, I would of taking higher club positions and taking college credit classes. Thank you...

One of the things I wish I knew before coming to Western Oregon University (WOU) is knowing that I could of gotten paid for showing my dorn to the people that get a campus tour at our school. Another thing I wish I knew was knowing that we have many helpful resources to support us academically. For example, the learning center. The Learning Center is where WOU students get two hours of free tutoring for each class we have.

In my opinion, I think a person that like the rain and small classes should attend to this school. We have a variety of different weather, but most of the time, we get a lot of rain. Also, this university is small compare to our Oregon universities. WOU offers small classes and it is very helful because one can get a lot of attention from the professors. I like like to know exaclty what our assignments or exams will be based on. Therefore, I like getting the opportunity to ask as many questions during class.

Casey

Having spent a year in a two year community college and earning my Associates Degree quickly so that I can move on to a four year univrsity a year early has made me realize that several of my priorities as a high school student were off base and inmature. If even this short year later I could go back and shake some sense and wisdom into my high school self, I would have several important bits of advice to share. First, as important as everything seems in high school--friends, clubs, sports--nothing is as important as focusing on meeting educational goals and thinking ahead to paying for a college education. Had I focused more on qualifying for and applying for scholarships and less on friends and activities I would be in a much better place financially to pursue my degree. Secondly, I would remind myself that all of the nonsense and drama going on around me is temporary and does not need my attention or involvement. I spent far to much time focusing on other's issues and attempting to affect other's lives and not nearly enough on my own. Thankfully the college me is all the wiser.

Ashleigh

Some of the most fun times you will have in your life are when you enter college, but college is not easy and will require hard work. You are now responsible for writing college essays, studying for exams, and completing assignments. It is important to do your work on time and to never get behind in a course. Get to know your professors, they may be a great help when you need recommendation letters after graduation. But most importantly, do not stress the small things. Stressing will only make your time in college more difficult than it needs to be. It is important to enjoy your time, make friends, and do well in classes. College starts the rest of your life, so do your best but also have fun and enjoy your college career.

Western Oregon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.