Monmouth, OR
Western Oregon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Oregon University

Kendal

I wish I would have taken scholarship opportunities more seriously. Unfortunate circumstances in my househould has left me to support myself throughout my college experience. If I could go back in time, I would have forced myself to sit down and really look into the college I ended up choosing and sit down with the financial department and see what they could offer me. I was so concerned with getting accepted, and beating myself up for not re-taking the SAT or taking the ACT I wish I could go back and tell myself everything was going to end up okay, to stop stressing out so much and to relax and enjoy your senior year in high school because it's something you will never get back. Work hard in school, but also make time to have fun. You only get those four years of high school once. Don't limit yourself when applying for college, look outside your comfort zone for a new adventure.

Before attending WOU, I wish I would've known more about the nursing department and how loans really worked beforehand. It's very intimidating as a freshman trying to pay for college by his or herself to understand everything about each loan and choosing which one is the right one for you. Also, the lack of student jobs available was very disappointing,

The lack of surrounding places would have to be the worst part of attending such a small school. At wou there are a lot of students coming from out of state or even as far as out of the country, being stuck on campus having nothing really near by to do would be so boring all the time.

It is best known for the American Sign Language Interpreting Program. Many of the students that attend this school want to be future interpreters. There is even a whole hall devoted to interpreting majors. It is also well known for the nursing program that is offered. There is also a hall devoted to nursing majors as well.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, the advice I would give myself would be to start planning my days out. Plan out the times that I am doing homework and studying and the times that I can use to relax and see friends. I believe that a very important skill in college is time management. It is easy to get sidetracked and not complete things than need to be done. In high school I would tell myself to get into good study habits. It is easy to think that studying is easy or that it comes naturally, however I would tell myself that I need to figure out what way of studying works best for me. The last peice of advice that I would give myself is that I need to study and stay concentrated, but I also need to take breaks and have some fun as well. I would tell myself to utilize my time in high school and to really enjoy it, because things really do change once I am in college.

Arriel

Western Oregon University is best known for its education program. It is known as a "teaching" school because it has a great education program and is very highly respected.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I woud tell myself to take scholarships seriously. It never crossed my mind to apply for scholarships because I was going to get my transfer degree at a community college before attending a four year college to complete my major. Because the community college was about half the price per term of the university I never even thought about applying for scholarships. Now that I am in the university I realize that I made a big mistake. Paying for school is becoming increasingly hard and if I had started off with a few scholarships it would make things a lot easier now.

I can't think of anything that I would consider as the worst thing about my school. But I can say that the town is small and there isn't much to do during break times between classes.

Madelien

Hey Maddie! This is your future self and I want you to know that you are so awesome and are going to have the best high school experience! Work hard at everything you do and push yourself to try new things! Some things will come really easy for you, and some will not, but that is okay! Work and train as hard as you can for the upcoming lacrosse seasons, I promise it will pay off. Study harder than ever; I know it is cliche to say, but grades are so important and you will not realize that until later on so I am telling you now! Join new clubs and try new things; build amazing relationships because these are the friends that you will have forever. Find your hidden talents and enjoy the ride, this experience only comes once so embrace it with open arms. You are alot stronger than you think and you will be able to overcome any challenges that come your way. Embrace your creativeness, weirdness, silliness, and have a great time because you deserve it! Remember who you are and do not change for anyone, always be you. Love, Your future self

Bailey

There are a few things a would tell my high school self. One thing I would tell myself would be social and not afraid to make friends. I am a little shy so I was afraid to make friends, so I think that made the transition over to college a little harder for me. I would also tell myself that the transistion will be hard but you can get through it. It was hard but in the end going to college is worth not being with my family for a little bit, even if I miss them a lot. Finally I would tell my high school self to be open to anything. Open to trying new things and to be ready for my roommate because she won't treat you right. But most importantly to not try something because you didn't use to do it, so try something new.

What I consider the best thing about the school is the atmosphere. The atmosphere at Western is very friendly. Everyone for the most part is willing to help each other out. For example, older students are willing to help younger students with classes or figuring out things for their degree. The atmosphere also makes me feel safe. Our public safety officers are constantly walking around and at night there are well lit paths that we can follow that are also very public.

There are a few things I brag about a lot. One of the things I brag about the most is the friendly community. It seems like everyone is willing to help you if you need. Another thing I brag about is that the class size isn't too big. FInally I brrag about how the campus is a great size and that everything in town us within walking distance of the campus.

Lauriana

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to study harder, spend more time with family, and be more independent. I would tell myself to sudy because I learned that high school didn't prepare me for college, if I studied harder I would have learned more and maybe gotten prepared. I would say spend more time with my loved ones because thats who you miss the most in college. Yes, there are friends, but the people you depend on the most, your family, will always be there and you realize how homesick you are, even the little things make you miss home. I would finally tell myself to be more independent because in college no one will be there pushing you to do anything. If your room is messy or laundry needs to get done, you need to do it. If your grades slip, you need to worry; your mom or dad won't be there yelling at you. It also makes you realize that its expensive so youdon't want your grades to slip because there goes $300+. You need to study, be with family, and be independent before you stasrt college, in my mind.

I believe the best thing about my school is the teach to student ratio because it allow one-to-one time with the teacher if you need help. Also the small class size makes your feel like you have a better relationship with your teacher.

I would imagine that someone who came froma small school would enjoy this school because it is something they are used to. Even someone in the educatioon, ASL, or nursing program would come here because those programs are thriving here.

Fabiola

It was not until high school that I realized the importance of mantaining an active student life. I would definitively encourage myself to be more outgoing and involved with student life activities and the student body. Most of high school students sign up for clubs because they think it will look good on college applications, but they never attend meetings. I have been as active as possible at the Community college I am attending and it not only looks good on my application, but I have developed my professional and leadership skills at the same time I have met people from all over California. I would also advice myself to mantain a close and strong relationship with faculty members. Professors are helpful when needing someone to advocate for you when transcripts are not enough. Sometimes letters of recomndation could favor in a scholarship or applicaiton. Last, but not least I would advice myself to use online sources to apply to as many scholarships as possible because even a $100 or $200 is extremely helpful in college.

Coming out of high school, I thought I was invincible and took things for granted. My parents had always told me school would be expensive and I ignored them; figuring it wouldn’t matter and it would work out. Instead of staying at their house, I moved out and got a job while going to school my first two years (which were paid for by a scholarship). Now that I am wanting to return for my bachelors degree (and now that I have had some time to grow older and learn how the world works), I realize how much I took my childhood for granted. If I could go back, I would tell myself to take things slow! Look into all of your options. Apply for every scholarship you can. Don’t be afraid to turn down community college for a four year opportunity. Most importantly, I would tell myself to keep your eyes on your goal. Don’t take time off from school, keep pushing through so that you can get to the end sooner. Life is only as happy as you make it, you might as well make your dream come true and enjoy it.

Ill be beginning school at Western in the fall but have completed my AAOT at Chemeketa. I wish I would have known (before going to Chemeketa) that college is like an awesome version of high school. You get to choose your classes, which there are many more options of, and you get to pick your hours. The only thing that you don’t factor in when preparing for college is that adult life kicks in and you have to be responsible for yourself, bills and work. By managing time and budget well, you can lead a happy, successful college life.

College is meant for people who are serious about working hard and earning a degree to further their education and career. I wouldn’t recommend it for someone who doesn’t want to put time and effort into school. For as much as it costs to get an extended education, students need to be serious about their work and eager to learn new things. I would hate to see someone wasting their money if they are not interested in what they are learning and spend time slacking off rather than studying and gaining knowledge.

Vanessa

At my university I wouldn't say there is a worst thing.

At my university I wouldn't say there is a worst thing.

I like to brag about how small our class sizes are and how we are able to interact better. Small class sizes help you to really be able to understand the material and get questions answered.

Western Oregon University is a great sized school (small enough to meet one-on-one with professors) and there are many different ways to get involved (clubs, leadership, jobs, etc.)

If I could go back in time and give myself advice during my senior year of high school, I would tell myself many things. First of all, get started on applying for scholarships and colleges early, because time will definitely sneak up on you quickly. Second of all, I would tell myself to enjoy the time I have being at home. Once you're off to college, you suddenly realize what you took for granted at home and how "easy" you had it. And lastly, don't stress out about maintaining and fighting for friendships that were produced during your freshman year of high school. Once you're in college, you gain the most meaningful and longlasting friendships you could ever ask for. Oh... and HAVE FUN!

The best thing about Western Oregon University is that the focus is on, not only, getting an education, but also being able to get involved and find yourself. I consider this to be my favorite part of WOU because I believe that it's important to get started on the right foot when you're off on your own for the first time... and WOU makes that transition very easy and comforting.

Western Oregon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.