Monmouth, OR
Western Oregon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Oregon University

Katie

My classmates are very friendly and careing, and they are willing to help eachother out when ever they see the need.

I would tell myself to learn how to communicate with the people you are living with better. Because when you are living with someone you don't even know, communication is key. They don't know who you are or what your personality is, So, learn how to be open with people, and show them how you feel. It definitely helps build a good living environment. I would also tell myself that not everyone knows you at college, and to not feel bad when you can’t find a solid group of friends until you have been in school for a while.

The most frustrating thing for me is that the school wants us to stay here during the weekends, but they don't really have anything open for us. The Health and Wellness center isn't open until the afternoon and the cafeteria is only open for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday.

Alexis

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to join more clubs and organizations sooner than I did. I would explain to myself that forcing myself out of my shell eventually helped to make my college experience so much better and introduced me to people that have become amazing friends, that I would not have met without forcing myself to push my comfort level of meeting new people. I would also tell myself to make sure I would learn better study techniques earlier than I did. My grades were not as high as I like to see them my first term, and if I had learned better study techniques a little earlier, I could have prevented that.

One of the best things about attending Western Oregon University is everyone on the campus is extremely welcoming and friendly. There is a club or organization for everyone's interests and all the clubs and organizations are welcoming to all students. This campus really encourages student involvment and supports all the students in their choices and views.

A student that is truly interested in a good education, someone who wants to be involved in their school, and someone who is interested in developing leadership skills should consider attending Western Oregon University.

Don't be afraid to do something different. Everyone else is going off to a four year school, but if you're not ready, don't feel bad about it. There is nothing wrong with the community college life. You'll figure out what you want to do sooner or later, but try to start looking into that stuff right now. Seriously, it will save you a lot of stress down the road. Stop being so afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Life isn't meant to be lived in a little box. Put yourself out there, because if you don't, you'll never know what you're missing. College is about exploration and finding out who you are, so put on a brave face, get out in the world and have a blast. Study hard, make good friends, meet new people, and try new things. Stop worrying so much about the things you can't control and open yourself up to new possibilities. College is hard work, but it's also an adventure, so give it your all everyday, and do it with a smile on your face.

America

The advise that I would get to my adolesent self would be to stay in school and go to college, therefore, we would have already had our doctorine in biopsychology. I would explain how attaining college classes are not as difficult and all I would need is devotion to wanting to obtain each degree. I would explain the devotion involves taking notes from each class, asking questions, and researching the classroom material that way I would get a better understanding of what the teacher is teaching me and I will better prepare me to pass all me exams. I would also explain there are going to be classes that are easy and there are going to be classes which are difficult, but as long as I do the assigned work and ask questions I will pass the class. Finally, I would try to make myself understand that without an education I will never be able to provide stabilty in my live and I will have to live from pay check to pay check, therefore going to college would be the best thing I could do to avoid dealing with those situations.

A small state college where the professors truly care about your learning, the students are friendly and welcoming, and is located in a beautiful area.

You’ve signed the forms, scheduled your classes, taken the tours, and read the brochures. Take a deep breath, work hard this summer, and get ready for a rollercoaster ride in the Fall. You probably think you know what to expect, and in many ways you do, but be ready to also be surprised with some turns and loops. College will surprise you. Your biggest challenge may not be that chemistry class you’ve worried about…it may be juggling your laundry, sleep, and studying schedule with your less than flexible new roommate! Remember that compromise truly means a “giving” on both sides and that eating the same thing two nights in a row is really ok. Schedule your time so that you feel in control of your life and know what’s coming up. Managing your time is key and not always as easy as it sounds. Stay connected with your family and friends at home. They’ve been with you a long time and often have just the advice you need. Remember that you’ve prepared for college as best as you can, and have the confidence and flexibility to make the “surprises” learning experiences and new adventures.

I really enjoy the pre-nursing program. It allows students who want to be nurses the tools to get help when needed, and communicate with their peers.

Anna

Some of my classmates are very motivated, respectful people; however, I've noticed a large number of students still act like this is high school and are not very mature.

Since I am coming up on my 10 year high school reunion, I realize how different I am now. You could say I went through my path in life completely backwards. I've worked in a few different career fields exploring what I wanted to do, got married, have three amazing children, and have worked as a state government employee for the past five and a half years. After all of these experiences, I finally decided to go to college this past year. Honestly, I wouldn't tell my "high school self" to do things any differently. Yes, it would be easier to work and attend college full-time without a husband and three children, but I also don't believe I would be as motivated or successful if I didn't have them in my life. The transition into college wasn't very difficult, since being the organizer of my family has already prepared me to keep track of everything, manage our finances, keep appointments, and be able to handle little amounts of sleep. I would tell myself to learn from every experience between high school and college and never stop trying to better yourself.

My university is a very excellent place and I have not experienced anything negative with the staff. The one thing that frustrates me the most about college is the attitude and lack of motivation to acquire real knowledge from a large number of students. I don't see this as just a problem with my school. Students just wanting the "college experience" without concerning themselves for their future career, is probably an issue at a lot of universities.

David

David this is your chance to succeed in life, and no one is going to do it for you. This is your time, do not waste it! College life is not going to be like high school, your teachers are not going to hold your hand and walk you through your mistakes. They are there to teach you but you have to be willing to learn. You can’t play the same game you do every year. Buckle down and take your education seriously. It's not as hard as it seems and the benefits are worth the effort you put in now. When you get to college you have to be in charge. Do not settle for anything but your absolute best. Make sure you know what class's are available to you, and what classes are required for what you want to do. Sign up for your classes early and always talk to your councilor if you need help. Get the help you need! You are not alone in this. There are councilors and advisors in every department and they want to help you. Lastly do not leave things to the last minute, your only cheating yourself.

High school me, do not, under any circumstances, divert from the course that I have followed. Sure, four colleges in five years is a pain when it comes to transcripts, a timely graduation, and GPAs, but the friends you'll gain, the things you'll see, and the bad choices you'll make are all a part of who you'll be. Oh, and don't let anyone tell you not to be a writer: That's the most important, and the reason why you cannot divert from the course that I have followed. Writing is everything to you--if it isn't yet, it will be--and everything you'll go through is gearing you toward that one, simple fact: You will be a slave to your pen, and it will be the most glorious thing ever. So make mistakes (fail your two semesters), choose a useless major (interdisciplinary studies), and don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone--this world is no place for hobbits (sure, you'll talk for ages about how much you hate Chicago, but you'll, honestly, secretly love it). Trust me--I know what I'm talking about.

WOU is best known for its ASL program, its teaching program, and its status as a green campus, as well as its sexual/gender/cultural diversity.

Despite WOU's large art culture, there is not a lot of funding for the arts. This can be very disconcerting for the members of this particular community, because we know that our programs are the most likely to be cut/underfunded.

Angela

I would first off tell my high school senior self that coming to a new school and it being college is not that scary as I made it seem. Making that transition to the college level of academics and living in the dorms is the best experience a person could ever have. I would tell my high school self to have gotten more involved with my hall while I lived in the dorms my freshman year, to talk to more people and socialize a lot more. Getting to know people is the best thing in college. Everybody is different and it is amazing to hear everyones story why they are here getting the education they are. The biggest advice I would tell myself to do is to start taking math classes your Freshman year of college. Math is a must for a lot of majors, minors, and different classes. By not taking math my Freshan year of college, I have put myself behind about a year or two for graduating. Overall, I would tell myself to just have fun, study hard and make friends along the way, they could last a lifetime!

The worst thing I would consider about my school is the communication between the Business and Financial Aid office with a student.

A person that likes to see familiar faces but yet new faces as well, around campus, a person that likes to be involved with school activities, a person that likes a class size to be about 20-25 students, a person that enjoys their professors recognizing them in the coffee shop and saying hi and professors getting to you know as an individual and your interests.

Western Oregon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.