Western Oregon University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Western Oregon University

Morgan

Western is a delightfully small campus that allows you to really get to know your professors and the other students around you. While the food may not always be amazing, and the professors may not always make the class feel as though it was worth the money, it is a good school that cares about its students and will accommodate them whenever they can.

Montessa

Although this school is small and campus is rather quiet, it is a wonderful place to live and learn-both in and out of the classroom. The class sizes are small enough that each and every teacher can help each student as help is needed. This school feels like a private university without the private school price tag. Sports are diverse and well ran as well as the various art programs. Overall this school is a great place to learn and is well worth the time and money spent here.

Drew

Western Oregon University is a small campus compared to most with the most academic opportunity. With class sized up to 25 in most you as a student has that much more of a chance than those in a class with 800 and up. It's great to know your professors. But aside from the wonderful academic opportunities the events held on campus for its students is limitless, with speakers who come in, with clubs ranging from Black student Union to LGBT clubs, everyone has a place to go. As a minority I feel welcome and not shut down for any reason. I feel as though I have just as much of a chance as the person next to me. And that compared to anything and everything that I want in a college experience is the most important, to feel eligible and allowed.

daymon

I transferred here from Ohio Wesleyan university and western Oregon has more than double the amount of students. However, you don't get the giant campus feel. The class sizes are about 15-30 people max and profesora are always available to help out or just to discuss any topics. Western Oregon is top 4 in the north west for criminal justice it is a vigorous program and leads to many job opportunities in the future. The school has had a few job fairs to give students a foot in the door for future jobs. I recommend this school to any and everyone! GO WOLVES!

Anthony

Western Oregon provides for a fantastic learning environment. It is a small school with little social life activity but that provides for a focused bunch. There are little distractions and little partying. Everyone seems to know exactly what they want to study and they work hard at it. You will always find people in the library everyday of the week. Not an hour goes by where the library is empty. Campus housing is very nice but they can give you a hard time with moving rooms and noise violations. The campus environment is extremely safe and everyone is pretty friendly. Classes are small and all professors have scheduled office hours. Campus dining is okay as far as the taste of the food goes, but the hours are good. It isn't hard to find a meal on campus and the nearby restaurants are great and in walking distance.

Timmi

I have some issues with Western Oregon University (WOU), but overall it's a pretty good experience. They have a very active LGBTQ club and Abbie's House, an advocacy center for women. The people there are really kind and accepting. I had a rough go of it my freshman year with the transition, but my professors and advisers really wanted to help me succeed and that boosted my confidence.

I generally liked WOU, The feel and ambiance is great. Class sizes are small, so there is always the opportunity to connect with your professors and get one on one advise if you need it. Plus, the free on campus tutoring is great resource for those who need it. A variety of classes offered at different times allowing one to make their schedule with moderate ease. A few negatives are the location. Although fairly close to bigger cities like Salem, Portland, Corvallis, or the coast, Monmouth itself is super small and there is not much to do around there. Additionally, although they are partnered with OHSU for their nursing program, it is evident that professors and advisers are still getting into the hang of what advise to give students who are pursuing nursing.

Grace

I love the atmosphere at Western. It is honestly a great place. There is a great staff to help and the student life is great. There are also plenty of clubs to join and the whole campus is a big loop so it is really hard to get lost. I also like the fact that everything is in walking distance and very acsessable.

I have really enjoyed attending westen so far, I think it's a pretty nice school and its really nice how close together all the buildings are. The food selection is good, but its a bit tough being a vegan because the only label foods as vegetarian or not. It's also annoying trying to get access to a kitchen.

Teresa

It is a great school for the people who love small classes and the outdoors. I love how secluded it is from the world, you never feel obligated to force yourself into something that you do not wish to participate in. All of the students and faculty members are so generous, welcoming, and kind. This school is surround with positive vibes.

Noelle

It is a great campus with a really interactive community! You just need to get involved and get out there. The only problem with Western is the financial aid and administration office communication with students.

Lane

I really like the campus and the people that live on it but the town is really small and there aren't any activities to do in the community. The teachers are all really great and very easy to get ahold of. Luckily there are big cities around within thirty minutes of campus that we can visit.

It is a very small, quiet campus with a lot of opportunity to get involved in clubs and groups. I enjoy the small, personal classrooms and the professors tend to be reliable for help. Unfortunately, the town it is located in is very small, so transportation is a must-have for those who do not live near by for shopping and entertainment. Students are friendly and I've always felt safe on the campus, even at night. I highly recommend this college for right-out-of-high-school students who wish to attend a 4 year university right away.

I love it because it’s my dream school, it’s small and there’s a lot of nice people. Not only it is a great school but of course it has my major and it has other things that I would like to learn such as dance and music class, I’m great full.

Normandy

I think that its a great school to go to. Its not huge that I don't hardly know anyone and not super tiny that I know everyone. There isn't a grocery store IN Monmouth but there is one a couple miles away. The class sizes are pretty good and there is a good variety of people. There are many intramural sports to participate in or just to watch and the facilities are updated often and things are added on to the school almost every year that I have been here.

Western is a beautiful campus in a small town! With enrollment being much smaller than most universities there is a place for everyone. The class sizes are to die for, as you get much one on one interaction with your professor in the classroom setting. Also, the campus is beyond beautiful. You can get from one end of campus to the other in about ten minutes.

Grace

Great school for the price you pay! Class sizes are always small, and professors are easily approachable. Everyone is really friendly, and I feel like I know most people on campus. The school mainly focuses a lot on their ED program, which can be good or bad depending on your major.

Shane

I have found Western Oregon University to be a very nice place to meet generous people and to have professors that sincerely care about your success as a student. The campus has everything a student would need, tutoring, recreational activities, campus dining, and library resources. The best professors don't give busy work, and they have you engage with your fellow classmates to build a supportive social network for your classes.

Paola

I plan to attend Western Oregon University this fall and one of the things I'm most excited for are the cafeteria food that they serve. I've been on campus quite a few times: for meetings, campus visits, orientation, etc. I enjoy how small the classes are and how small the campus is itself. Although I haven't attended Western as one of their students, I can already tell it is an amazing school because of how safe they make sure the campus is and how they prioritize certain things that people focus on a lot more in order to assure that they enjoyed their time there, even if they are just visiting the campus for a few hours. The thing that I believe is the best thing about this university is their connection with OHSU, I plan to major in pre-nursing and continue my career in OHSU. It is perfect because I always wanted to be an OHSU student as well and Western Oregon has that dream path that I've always wanted to take.

Ashlynn

Western Oregon University is a very open and clean campus that has many opportunities to offer. The academics, extracurriculars, and everything else they have to offer are exceedingly outstanding. I can not wait to attend this school in the fall. It is my number one choice and I'm glad I can call myself a wolf.

Ciara

Western Oregon University is a college that promotes community. The school has many clubs and sports and activities available to students. The facilities are clean and comfortable, with great lighting and many places to sit. I love the campus, especially in the spring, when all the flowers are blooming and the whole campus is green. There is always something going on, whether it's laser tag in the park or hide and seek in the library. Its a great place academically, and the Professors always have office hours available and are open to questions all the time. Over all it's a great place to live and learn!

Reesef

Overall, I think Western Oregon University is a great campus and the perfect location for me, it even offers everything that I need and want. The campus is a great size in a small town, but also near a big city so it makes it easy if you want to do some shopping or just keep it on the low and chill at the dorms. I also like how they offer so many different activities, for me they have a really nice gym for students, on campus jobs, and even a studying abroad program. This campus is perfect for me and I'm excited to see my future here.

Lataya

I love this school and cant wait to attend. The opportunities provided for teens is amazing and I can not wait to show people around Oregon how great they are.

Madison

Western Oregon University is a university that I would recommend to fellow students and friends. It provides many opportunities academically as well as socially. Western provides courses that enhance a student's desired major as well as incorporates experiences that will be applicable to life outside of college. There are also a variety of majors to choose from. I am greatly enjoying my experience at Western Oregon University!

Loer

I love Western Oregon University. The teachers are understanding, the campus is beautiful, and there are a lot of activities being made by student committees and they are wonderful! There is always something going on. I recommend if you love small, active school environments.

I love WOU. It's a great school with great and caring professors who know what they're talking about and a great and friendly vibe overall from the students. You can tell the students attending this school are here for the academics and not for the "college life", and its great to be apart of a community thats here to learn and have fun together,

Class size is super small, so most of the professors know your name, and are willing to help you at any time. Student life is very active, and there is always something to do around campus. There are many clubs. Housing is the hardest part, because it is a small town, so many people commute.

Kara

Western Oregon University is that home away from home. If you came from a semi small town and want to keep it that way this is the perfect fit. Most class sizes are 30 students at most making it easy to connect with teachers. The professors work very hard to make sure students understand the content that is being taught. The facilities are older, but they have character to them and are overall very well maintained. There is a couple drawbacks of this school though. The food lives up to the idea of boring cafeteria food and doesn't offer a lot of options. Most of the dorms are run down and older. There's not much to do in the Monmouth area, but other areas like the beach and Salem make up for it by being close by. Overall this school is wonderful though despite those small drawbacks and off campus living is very affordable and close to campus. Not to mention that most of the property managers are very understanding that we are college students.

Kristin

This is a great school for personalized help in and out of class. Teachers are more than willing to help you find ways to study and improve academically, students are friendly and knowledgeable, and the campus itself is welcoming. I appreciate this school's history and how the faculty as well as the students have kept a small-town atmosphere despite the growing population.

Elle

It's a super cute school, not to big and overwhelming. It is just the perfect size where you can get to know almost everyone. The class sizes are never too big which gives you the chance for some one-on-one time with a professor if needed. The dorms are small and cute but neatly organized. Its easy to get around and I always feel safe walking around even if its at night.

Aliyah

...

Katarinna

Western Oregon University is exactly what the doctor ordered; I have almost always gone to schools that are the extremes, one teeny tiny Taft High where there were a total of 300 students attending with the middle school being crammed in the same building. Kindling a departed theater program and arts department, only holding onto the athletics for any kind of federal funding. One titan of a high school built in the middle of all of Portland suburbs, being literally the biggest in the entire state. Bearing competition on every turn and un-involved teacher student dynamics. One unorthodox, a computer based online High School dedicated to your schedule, but isolated individuals who need interaction. It also lacked any informed diversity in students, since the only thing that was present was who was doing the best in classes, little to no local clubs, or who ran certain student governments. W.O.U. has everything these lack, in a sense. There is a strong sense of community, many fluttering clubs, and heavy involvement with a helpful student body. It's not too little of a population that Teachers can play by favoritism, however it's also not too big that you're not able to get any one-on-one time with your Instructors. The culture is balanced, as neither sport or art have to struggle for power. Of course there are a few down-sides, as with any thing, but a place in the sticks beats a place with no care for who is attending- every time. Western, albeit cut off from major activities of a city life, is exactly what a student who has seen all the ugly extreme school's.

Kalvin

Western Oregon is an amazing institution and its a very friendly place to be. You cant go far without finding someone new to talk to or someone you’ve seen in a class before. Campus is very accessible from anywhere and you can take a nice walk anytime you want. This school is well worth checking out and scheduling a visit. I’m currently a freshman and the dorms are great, the first week and a half of me being here I’ve made so many new friends and had amazing experiences. Definitely memories to be made here, thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope you choose to be a Wolf and become part of the Pack!

Erica

I LOVE the school, the class size and the professors make it easy to learn and because it’s in a small town everyone is very nice and I’m very glad I chose to go to this school I would recommend to everyone who is interested in their learning and don’t want to struggle in a huge city and a huge school.

Ellie

Western is a very diverse school. The faculty really care about the students and want them to do well. They offer a lot of tutoring and writing help for free. The food is adequate, could definitely be better. More fresh fruit would be nice, a lot of the fruit in the salad bar is canned.

Brianna

I love this campus. It's a smaller campus but that just means that everyone is very close and social with one another. The faculty and staff are always friendly and accommodating to everyone. The teachers are great at explaining subjects in class. If a student needs extra help with a subject, the teacher generally reviews over the content in a different. They do this without talking down to the student and that's extremely rare.

Melanie

Western Oregon University is a university that is not to big nor too small. The campus is very compact and inviting, as well as very maintained. The class sizes are small enough to allow students individual time with teachers. The town is small, but accessible and easily comfortable to adjust to.

madilyn

I will be attending in the Fall of 2020, WOU is my dream school. I love the programs it has to offer, and the way I felt stepping on the campus for the first time. I wish there were more scholarship options, but I am grateful for ALL of the help my advisor has been giving me.

Baylea

I LOVE Western. I am a senior this year and I have enjoyed my four years here. The weather is AMAZING. And I don’t mean to brag but the psychology department is the best. WOU offers a large array of classes and accommodate a lot of schedules. We are an extremely safe campus with campus security 24/7 that is probably my favorite part about WOU! We have numerous resources, sports teams, clubs, cafe/lunch spots, staff is friendly! It’s easy to feel like you belong here because we always try our best to be the kindest and inclusive! Come to Western and check us out, you won’t regret it! Go Wolves! And don’t forget, on Wednesday we wear our WOU apparel!

Brooke

I love Western! It is such a small, involved school so it is very easy to become more involved and there's lots of fun and academic resources all around campus. I work in the SLCD and I absolutely loved it. Everybody is so friendly and I love how you get the chance to get close with your professors. Western has a wide variety of events and clubs and the whole campus feels very inclusive.

Kenzie

Education, I am extremely satisfied with the programs offered at WOU and WOU as a whole. I live about a half hour away from the school, so I do not go home in the middle of the day. The facilities and resources on campus make staying in town worth it! The academics are top notch, and all of my instructors so far have been effective with their communication with students and the way the class is handled. I feel that the course curriculum for each class is very well put together, and useful for my career. The assignments are challenging, yet important in developing our skills for our career and as an asset to society.

Lily

I really like my school, and I'm glad I chose it over the others that I was thinking about. I feel safe at WOU, despite not knowing the town very well yet. I also like that it's fairly small, and I know that all of my teachers know who I am early on in the term.

Terrana

It is a beautiful campus with a large library. While I was attending they finished a new science building so my last year I got to attend my science classes in new lecture rooms and laboratories. The science labs are great and there are several computer labs to use if you don't have a laptop or printer. The professors are knowledgable and friendly and keep their office hours.

Caitlyn

It's a good school if you're majoring in education, criminal justice, or ASL. It is a small sized school in a small town so there isn't much to do, especially if you don't have your own transportation. However, tuition and cost of living is relatively cheaper than living in the city or suburban area.

Neil

Western Oregon has to be the worst university I have ever attended or at least someone of my stature. Coming from a conservative and evangelical Christian point, I was frowned upon since the school has opposite core values they represent. Teachers make us do some assignments that are strongly opposed to what I believe in. I explain to the teacher why it’s wrong and yet doesn’t care. I did the assignment anyway but it was terrible what I had to read and watch. Because of who I am the other students don’t like to be with or talk to me. They are not open minded for me to talk to them but rather their own friends they made who share the same interests. I ate in their cafeteria once and while their food is ok, they are extremely overpriced. I would rather go out to a nice restaurant for myself and pay the same amount of food that go to their cafeteria. Luckily there is a Subway nearby so I go there on an occasion to eat. I have never stayed there on campus or stayed the night so I have no comment about it and depends on the person and what you have like budget for instance. One silver lining about WOU is they have a great library and computer room. I can get my homework done there with peace and quiet and staff there are happy to help. The takeaway from this is that if you love the Lord and your beliefs are lined as a conservative, avoid this University at all costs. Otherwise you’ll be fine.