La Crosse, WI
Western Technical College-La Crosse

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Technical College-La Crosse

I really like it here! I do live on campus and the dorms are incredible. We do live in a large town close to two other colleges so there is always something to do here. The people are really nice, and it's very easy to make friends. The college classes are almost all hands-on and really easy to understand. The teachers are also willing to work one on one with you if you are behind. All the teachers want is for you to succeed whether that means helping you one on one or offering extra credit.

Jessie

At first, I didn't really care about the campus because I only planned to be here for semester, but now I actually really like it. Classroom are easy to find and the instrustors are really striving for the students to do better. I think I might want to graduate from here.

Chase

I am a first semester student here at WTC-Lacrosse and I am enjoying every moment. From the very beginning a faculty member guided me to the right resources to properly enroll and prepare myself for being a student in a College environment. From then on I have been exploring on my own to find what suits me and what is available to me while I am attending. A great first observation for me was going to the Cafeteria/Cafe; where a variety of food options was available to me, from french fries to salads and all the sandwiches and soups in between. This helps me as early in the morning on the race to get ready, or the meditation of a slow rise, I do not often get the food I want/need in the morning, but, when I arrive from 7-8am the Cafeteria is open with bright and ready faculty to assist me in my hungry state (Big shoutout to them as I have custom ordered breakfast sandwiches a few times). Another almost immediate observation was the readiness and availability of supporting faculty to aid my progression in my studies, and getting more involved with campus life. Adjacent from the campus library there was a small room with a few computers/table and a bright faced faculty Member (of whom I can't remember their name due to my memory but we have a warm connection already) that was more than eager to tell me about the Multicultural club room I found myself in. I have used their computers to tidy-up and print my first ever paper and will seek guidance to review my work in the future; it is a multicultural club but along with that, it is a place to feel comfortable and secure in furthering my education. All in all being in my 4th week of my first semester I feel empowered, happy, and ambitious as I learn more information each day. If Western Technical did not operate on the level it does I would be having a much harder time (though my perseverance often pays off) getting through my studies, retaining the information I learn and preparing for future tasks, goals and responsibilities. I have given it a 4-star general rating because nothing is perfect, and I have not yet uncovered all that my school offers me! I am Happy to be a Cavalier. - Chase Alexander Nagel

Gabrielle

I think Western Technical College is very flexible and they make it possible for people of all ages to attend school. For my program, they are always encouraging to visit the free tutors on campus and the tutors are always available. The only downfall is for a certain class I'm taking (General A & P), they only allow you 1 make up exam, which is kind of bad because I live more than an hour away and Wisconsin winters are NOT forgiving. I've already taken huge risks driving icy roads to get to class so I did have to miss my exams.

Gabrielle

I think Western Technical College is convenient for anyone who attends. A student can take anywhere from 1 course per semester to full time credits and live on campus or off campus. The students I meet and class instructors are overall welcoming and warm, and we are all there for one purpose: to learn and graduate.

Jasmine

My classmates make the Breakfast Club look like the Rugrats.

My classmates make the Breakfast Club look like the Rugrats.

Don't make yourself be apart of the Freshman 15. Remember it's cheaper to cook at home than it is to gas up the car and make a run for Taco Bell's dollar menu. You are what you eat, don't make yourself look like you ate delivery and the driver.

The greatest item Western Technical College brings to the table is the diversity within each of the programs.

Morgan

My classmates are young, intelligent and driven.

My classmates are young, intelligent and driven.

I would tell myself to study hard and steer clear of debt. I would say it will work out exactly as it should and to keep dreaming. Then, I would shout, "Hop to it! Life is passing you by!"

I consider the worst thing about my school is the lack of focus on sustainability. It is extremely important to the benefit of our planet, our economy and ourselves to keep sustainable practices within our facilities as well as teaching our students to be sustainable. While we are trying at Western, I believe it is something we struggle with here.

Vanessa

The fact that they do have outlying campuses. Having the extra campuses allowed me to get a fair number of my general education credits done close to home, which saves time and money.

I was very shy and intimidated about going to school back then (many years ago, in 1986). I talked myself out of it, saying I couldn't afford it. So, I would tell myself that I could afford it, that there are grants that can help pay for it, and that it is scary at times, but it is so worth it. I would encourage myself to follow my dreams and go out there and do it, even if I had to do it afraid. I would tell myself that I was capable of far more than I knew. I would also caution myself to make sure that I took the time to work not only on academics, but also on getting to know other people at school, to develop relationships, because they will help you through the whole process and it is a large part of getting an education; knowing that no man is an island. I would finally tell my self to enjoy the process of learning and to never stop learning whether in school or not.

The worst thing about this school is the lack of available program/class choices at the outlying campuses. It gets expensive driving to La Crosse 2-4 times a week for classes that could be done via ITV at a campus closer to me.

Bradley

Western is best known for having a long wait time to get into a degree program.

Western is best known for having a long wait time to get into a degree program.

The advice I would give myself would be to go straight to a four year college and not join the Army. The debt of going to a good school to start may seem like a lot but it will be worth it. You got into several good four year colleges pick one and go now. If you wait it will be much harder to go back and you may have to chose a program that fits your life not what you truly want to do. Make friends with anyone you can because your life will be much more fulfilling. The more you prepare for class the easier it will be so always be prepared for class.

The kind of person that should attend this school is one who has a career in mind and Western technical college offers a program that will get them into that career. If the person wants to continue their education after graduation from Western this may not be the school for them.

Tanya

My school is unique because it is geared for adults who have a busy life with work and family but what to go back for more education. They offer online classes and night classes so that I can still work a full time day job. Also they offer career counciling for when you graduate, helping you write your resume and practice mock interviews with you.

Oh where to begin. Since I am 34 years old I have thought alot about this question in my life. For starters I would explain to myself how important a college degree is. I would tell myself (as a freshman) to think about what I want to do with my life and take high school classes that would help me reach that goal. And to check out different colleges by doing research and visiting the campus ect. all well before I was a senior. I would tell myself not to take a year off after high school like I said I was going to do, because a year turned into many. It is easiest to just go to college directly from high school. You are still in school mode, everything is fresh in your mind, you don't have dept to pay, kids to raise (hopefully) and you get college will be over before you know it and you can be making great money before you decide to get married and start a family. I say to myself all the time, I wish I could go back in time and do things differently.

Someone who has a hard time with self study would not be a good fit for this school, as it has alot of online classes. You need to be disciplined and have good organization and mulit tasking skills for that.

Western Technical College-La Crosse administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.