Westminster College-Salt Lake City Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Westminster College-Salt Lake City

James

Great college for those wanting a more personal experience. Small class sizes and very helpful professors. Lots to do in the area - hiking, biking, skiing, sporting events, lots of culture events (theatre, galleries, symphony, dance, etc.). Love the small campus with state of the art equipment. Would highly recommend to anyone wanting to attend a smaller, liberal ed. college in a great community.

Mary

I have always loved this college! It is what I have been looking for. Smaller classes and such professionalism, you're not just a number. the feeling I get for everyone that I have talked to is that they want you to succeed. The grounds are so well kept and clean and I felt very safe. I am a non traditional student returning to college. I look forward to attending this prestigious school and graduating with honors.

Alysia

Westminster is a close-knit community. The classes are small, the professors are friendly, and financial aid is almost always available. The small campus allows for a safe environment. Any students seeking support for any reason, whether it is academics, mental health, or financial aid, don't have to look far for help. There are plenty of activities year-round to get involved in, and you'll always have something to do!

Mauri

Westminster is a very liberal school with small class sizes located in the heart of Salt Lake City. It's a safe haven for very liberal people like me, which isn't something easily found in Utah. Westminster has programs for almost anything you can imagine with a very high emphasis on the performing arts.

Olivia

I love Westminster! Attending a small college has made all the difference for me. The professors know you by name, they truly care about your success and small classes make learning hands on. There is always something to do, whether an activity organized by student government, an outdoor excursion in the Wasatch Mountains, or a club meeting. All the facilities are newer or recently updated, making class time tolerable and pleasant. The campus location is one of the best things about Westminster. Located in the Sugar House neighbourhood, students get to experience the best of Salt Lake City without going too far. The cafeteria leaves a lot to be desired, but the great people make up for sub-par food. Plus, there are a lot of great food options within biking and walking distance. The cost of attendance is a huge drawback for many people. It is the only private liberal arts college in Utah, and the cost reflects that. However, Westminster is extremely generous with scholarships, for anyone from first years to seniors. Westminster College has a prestigious reputation in the state and region. It is well deserved. This school produces students that are involved, informed, globally conscious and well educated. I have really loved my time here, and I always recommend it to anyone who has expressed interest in higher education.

Jac'lyn

It's a great school, but it is not very diverse. Many people are of same status, economic position, and ethnicity/race. The campus strives to create more diversity every year. There is great emphasis is making the campus a community environment. Inclusion is a big goal on campus, and there are many resources for students such as on-campus counseling, a student health center, and the diversity and inclusion center. The major complaint found on campus concerns food quality and price. Often the food is mediocre, but it is good food compared to many other schools. Students feel they are over charged for the quality that they often receive. There is also limited vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options. Most meals are not detailed with the contents which is extremely concerning for many students with dietary restrictions. This is often the biggest issue addressed to the school by students and families. There is also a problem with the meal plans assigned to students that live on campus. There are only two options for a meal plan, and either students do not use their full plan and lose money at the end of the year or students have trouble maintaining healthy eating habits with the lower of the two plans. A third plan should be implemented for students that would prefer to cook on their own (apartment style living for example). Money saved from not having a meal plan, or simply having a cheaper meal plan could result in a better balance in student health, finances, and attitudes towards school policies concerning the meal plans for on campus living. Changing the price of food items would also benefit students financially. Other than these few things, Westminster College is a great school that tries and often succeeds in creating a close knit community of students dedicated to change and leadership. It is a liberal campus that makes its voice know between all members of the Westminster Community. It's small, it's kind, and it is uniquely Westminster College.

Jaiden

Westminster College is a great place for students to go. The small class sizes are probably my favorite parts- No class is above 24 people, and that's an absolute maximum. The largest class I've had personally is about 12 people. With such small class sizes, every student gets to have a close relationship with their peers as well as their professors. On top of that, professors are personally invested in each student and are willing them to succeed with everything that they can, giving them personal attention, advice, and caring about their individual education rather than the bulk group of students.

Reece

The school is wonderful, there's always something to do, whether you party or not. The classes are small and the teachers see you as people rather than another face in their 2pm. The only thing I would change is the price. The school is expensive, VERY expensive. They offer large scholarships but it's still expensive

Daniel

Westminster College is a very good school for the STEM, Nursing, and Business majors. The teachers are usually always available and are ready to help anytime someone has a question. The professors will listen to anything that the students have to say. The campus is very beautiful and the mountain back drop just adds to the great college experience. The class sizes are small, so there is more one-on-one time with the professors. The school is a great place to meet new friends and find new experiences.

Lindsay

My family and I choose Westminster College for my masters degree in nursing because it's not just about the money. They are expensive, but they have experienced professors, small classes, a highly respected program, & 100% placement for their MSN graduates. My entire family is sacrificing for me to succeed; and I will at Westminster.

Alyson

The liberal arts school craze is 100% a thing, especially here at Westminster College. I think a huge reason for this is how teachers and staff genuinely care about your well being. It is true that there types of institutions offer a tighter, I have had professors email and/or text me to ensure I was ok if I seemed to be having an of day in class. I am so Grateful I found my dream college that has become my home.

Marilyn

Westminster is a school for those who are ambitious; the students here want to make a difference. The school provides ample opportunities to propel students forward in all of their goals. The small campus allows for a tight-knight community of free thinkers, future leaders, and innovators.

Jamie

Westminster College has an amazing campus that is beautiful, small and close to nice areas near Sale Lake City. The small class sizes are beneficial and provide one-on-one communications with the professors. There is always an activity or some sort of student involvement offered on campus. I have enjoyed my experience at Westminster thus far.

Marisol

I really like it here. It is a small college with small class sizes and you truly feel like the people here care about you and want you to succeed. You become closer to faculty and you can make some good connections here! It is also in a small area in a large city, and only 20 minutes away from the mountains!

Lia

I love my college. Academics are top tier, and there is always someone available to help you out - whether that's peers or faculty. There are so many activities to participate outdoors; we have the best mountains to ski or hike in high tin our backyard. I love the culture and energy on campus. It's just the best.

Westminster college is an amazing institution with outstanding credentials. Professors are always looking out for you and create a safe space for any and all students. The small class sizes are enjoyable as every individual in each class are acquainted with one another at the very least. Being a liberal arts college, Westminster has a great campus. Small classes make courses and education much more engaging and thoughtful.

Amelia

A beautiful interesting college with plenty of opportunities for students to embrace their best, successful and unique self. No Greek life is offered, but there are multiple clubs and organizations available for students who want to become involved with each other and the community.

Shea Kealoha

My overall opinion of Westminster College is that the people in and around the campus are all very friendly and inviting. Everyone is very welcoming and try their best to make you feel comfortable with people, classes, and even extra curricular activities. I really enjoy how close-knit the Westminster community is.

Fox

Made the mistake of doing the BBA program. The web instruction with random weekend get together. Westminsters idea of the University of Phoenix just WAY more expensive. FYI, your credits DO NOT transfer to ANY other school in the country. Your degree will.... the classes you take will not. They are not exactly clear or upfront about that. Now I am stuck with student loans for classes I took but since I didn't finish the degree they mean nothing but debt.

Tegan

Westminster is a wonderful school and I feel grateful every day to attend here. I feel safe and welcomed on campus and I am always looking forward to school. My class sizes are small and I feel like my presence is valued here. Our professors are unlike any other, they work so hard to ensure all students are accommodated for and understand what they are teaching.

Myles Christian

I toured the school and very impressed. The professor - student ratio is 1:17. I attended soccer camp and the feedback from the coaches was wonderful. The school offers plenty of tutoring and will work with the student and the professor. The programs offered are extensive and the opportunity to play sports makes this a desirable college.

Shea

It is a very good school, very close-knit and personal. I like the small class sizes and being able to know your professors and they know you. Westminster provides many opportunities to get together and know others at school by putting on student events and promoting sports games. Westminster College is a great school if you are looking for a small school and willing to foot the bill.

Chris

It is a good school if you have the ability to pay for it. It is extremely expensive. They do give a good amount of scholarship and financial aid, but even after that you can still expect to pay way more than any other state school. The class sizes are small and professors are typically easy to contact.

Alex

Westminster college is a school that really cares about its students, the teachers are there not for her paycheck, but because they want to help the students succeed and have more opportunities in the future. For an undergraduate education there is no better place students could go to, if they want a personalized and in depth education.

Madeleine

Westminster College offers by far the best education and community. It is definitely on the higher end of costs, however I find that the investment is well worth it.

Westminster is not a school for everyone. Because of the small size of the school, it is very hard to have your own personal life outside of school. Everyone in the freshman class knows everything about everyone. If you are about the liberal arts kind of environment, I would recommend Westminster. If you are wanting a big school vibe, I would suggest looking elsewhere and do some research if Westminster is for you.

Mellissa

It was my first choice as I was entering my first college semester and I definitely know I made the right choice. I actually almost didn't go because of the high cost but then I got a scholarship that sealed the deal. I get along with the professors and encourage me to participate more as I am more of a quiet student. It also helps that I love the classes they offer as they are interesting. Overall, it's an amazing school. I'm not sure if I'm going to afford it this semester as my scholarship money is done with, but I would recommend Westminster College without a doubt.

Kealey

It is my dream school! It fits my personality perfectly. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. It's such a community atmosphere. Class sizes are small and personable. It is supportive of a academic success but is also sympathetic to busy students. It's an outstanding school and it is affordable, despite it's pricey reputation. It I could afford it I'd stay here forever!!!

Jasmine

Westminster is a great school! Westminster offers many scholarships opportunity which was very important for me since I am a first-generation college student and was worried about how I was going to pay for college. The average class size is 12-24 students. The small class size allows professors to get to know their students. Professors are easily accessible either through office hours or email.

Jennie

Its a really good college for people who are not looking to bankrupt themselves to get an undergraduate. The staff is also very committed to giving you the education you want, which is nice. You know, if you want to create your own major in taxidermy and Mongolian throat singing, they might think you're a little weird, but they'll also try and make that happen for you. Also campus food sucks. I get why they have the meal plan (because when people are doing stupid things trying to pay for education, they often think they can live off of rice for two years straight, but they cant) that being said, the shop that you have to get your food from is crazy overpriced; and if you need to eat gluten-free (As I do) then have fun eating food that is not only overpriced, but you know have a grand total of 3 things you can eat, and they all taste like cardboard from 2001. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my review, have a nice time deciding who gets scholarship money and who sells their kidneys, have a nice one.

Kylie

Westminster is pretty great. The class sizes are small enough that the professors are able to get to know you and they are willing to spend the time to help you whenever you need it. Generals are done in a way so that you are more able to take classes that you are actually interested in rather than your typical Math and English 1010.

I really enjoy studying at Westminster College. I was previously enrolled at another university in Utah and I had the hardest time there. I thought that every college experience was like the one I had until I transferred to Westminster. The teachers and advisors are there for you to make sure that you are on the right path to achieve your end goal in your degree. I wish I would have gone to Westminster earlier!

Charchit

Being an international student in the United States, Westminster College gave me first prescriptive of life in the country. The college is ideally located in the Sugarhouse area which is one of the most lively place in Salt Lake City. Despite being a small school it has traits of a big college. We have an active athletic team, theater group, choir, student government and huge faculty and staff. It's quite expensive to attend if you don't get scholarships.

Makayla

Westminster is a college where you have an opportunity to feel love and accepted! Staff members and professors do everything they can to help their students. Whether you are stressed out, needing a friend, or just want to talk they will be there. Their programs are amazing and help you reach academic levels you could never imagine. It’s definitely a safe environment where drugs, alcohol, or any forms of harassment or bullying aren’t tolerated. Even if we don’t get involved in the party seen we know how to have fun and make memories.

John

I love Westminster. I have had a very good first year with lots of exposure to critical thinking. The professors are thoughtful and class sizes are small. I would highly recommend this college to anyone who wants a liberal art experience and loves the outdoors.

Sydnee

Westminster college is a fun school to be at. The culture there is very diverse and everyone cares about one another. There are always supportive people and groups that you can be a part of. Feeling welcomed and free to be yourself is one of the most comfortable positions to be in. The professors are always available and strongly encourage students to reach out. They're there to help you find and path and follow it to make your education worth it. They are helpful in many different ways and are willing to help however they can. Students are able to develop a relationship with professors because of small classroom sizes that create a more intimate experience.

Abigail

Westminster is an excellent college, where students are encouraged to grow and learn! The staff is extremely friendly and supportive, and the facilities enable students to pursue their passions. The class sizes are extremely small, so that every student gets personal attention. I love it at Westminster!

Sophia

I am very excited to do more there, and I really do like the college. It is pretty good.

Melissa

When I arrived on campus to Westminster College in Salt Lake City, I was fresh off the heels of a hellish freshman year. Prior to Westminster, I was attending a different university where I had--and I am certain of this--the worst year of my life. I was so immensely unhappy and I didn't see an end to it. So after I completed my freshman year of college, I did what any reasonable 18 year old would do: I packed up my bags and screamed "I quit." As my parents laughed at the thought of their daughter dumping a school; I panicked. I knew I needed to complete my degree...but where? After what felt like several hundred google searches later, I found a school that had a solid Communications program and was situated withing a major city. It was completely different from my previous school, which was oddly comforting. I packed my bags (again), hoped for the best, and moved myself to Salt Lake City. When I first arrived on campus as a nervous transfer, I didn't know what I was to expect. But in the five months that followed: I thrived. I'm now attending a school that I adore, I look forward to going to class (weird, I know), and I have made incredible friends that double as my support system. I've joined the women's lacrosse team and discovered a passion for ceramics. I try not to compare both of the colleges I have attended, but every day I become more and more thankful that I get the chance to be a student at Westminster. At times, I never thought I would be genuinely happy at an university; but Westminster College has completely changed my perspective. Not many students get to say they love their school, but I am truly part of the lucky few that do.

Carla

This is a very small and private institution in Salt Lake's Sugar House District. While the University of Utah is down the street, Westminster has built its own community of students and faculty. The community is what attracts students from around the globe. In addition, Westminster is a popular choice among Winter Olympic athletes.

Audrea

Westminster is a diverse and beautiful school. The opportunities are endless and you can change things on campus if something is missing. But everything has something bad about it, the school is terribly expensive and seems stingy with money. There are expenses that you are required to pay because it is a part of tuition but if you don't use what that money is paying for, it is thousands of dollars that go to waste and more debt you are stuck with. We got word of a tuition hike that is to happen next school year and it will add $3,000 to tuition costs. Because of tuition costs, many students I knew will not be back for another semester. Now I just hope I can hang in and make the cost worth it.

Jacob

Westminster College has a great atmosphere for students to grow and learn. I have been very impressed with not only the professors, but also the students attending Westminster College. I really like how inclusive they are and how you can really get the education you need. Because of the smaller class sizes the professors can work and teach you more.

Angelica

Overall in my first semester at Westminster they have offered me a very good education in which I can say I have truly learned. The teachers are amazing and are always willing to listen and help even if it is beyond school work. I'm truly having a good experience and for once it feels like people care for me and my learning. I feel seen as a person and now I actually want to go to school and learn. I hope that here I can find a career I am passionate about and I want to pursue, and use the resources available to my best advantage. Very excited to see what the future holds with Westminster as my college.

Kayley

Westminster college is an amazing place. It’s extremely open and everyone’s identity is accepted and we have open conversations with the focus of understanding one another. There is a great atmosphere and beautiful scenery. It’s a great place to attend college.

Ellen

Westminster is a great school overall. All the professors and teachers I have had want us to learn and connect it to our futures and careers. The class sizes are small, so everyone gets the attention you need and they offer a wide variety of classes to take. However, they are very focussed on students being in the presence of alcohol and drugs. Obviously, they don't want us making harmful decisions, but when you do decide to be in the presence​ or you do drink and do drugs for "fun", they like to crunch down on it.

Chelsea

My favorite thing about Westminster is probably our size. It's a small school and I never feel like I'm just another face in the crowd. Our class sizes provided the chance to intimately connect with our professors, which is great when you eventually need a recommendation letter from them!

I have really enjoyed my time at Westminster. I really like the how the campus is so small. This allows everyone to know each other. The location and the buildings of the campus are beautiful. What drew me to Westminster is the small class sizes. I am currently in their nursing program and my cohort has 20-25 people in it. It is a great learning environment and you never fall behind. All of my professors have been great, friendly, and very open to extra help. The only setback of Westminster is the price tag. Even after scholarships, grants, and student loans you owe thousands of dollars which is hard for college students to come up with.

Abby

I love this school, but the school is raising tuition, so it is scary knowing that my college career at Westminster could be in jeopardy. I do really like this college because I am also on the snowboard team and I really want to stay on this team for my entire college career.