Westmont College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Westmont College

Sydney

Westmont College is a private Christian college that for the most part lives up to its reputation of being a small, academically challenging, and community centered Christian college. Westmont is a small college with approximately only 1,200 students, which classroom size wise is nice, as the GE classes normally don't exceed 40 students, and as you get higher in the program the sizes get smaller. The size is an issue in that for most classes there is a specific semester one class is offered, and unless this is a GE, the class might not be offered until the next semester. This can cause problems if you want to make last minute changes or become waitlisted for a class and aren't able to get in, which does happen occasionally. Classes are challenging and the majority are by no means an easy A, but this is nice as you know you are learning more than you would otherwise. Professors are extremely available and desire to help you. If you are unable to attend office hours It is not that difficult to make an appointment. Chapel is held 3 times a week, which is sometimes a lot, but according to many students is well worth it. The other students,for the most part are very nice, but there are people that are not all that friendly, and there are those that are very politically active in the protesting area. Campus food isn't great especially for what you pay for a meal plan. The school is by no means cheap and if you don't come in with a high scholarship good luck because tuition is not fixed and goes up about $2,000 a year. Westmont has its issues like all other colleges, but for me, it is the academics and professors that make me glad that Westmont is my college because despite everything else college is a time to learn and to grow, something which Westmont helps every student to do.

Abi

I am amazed by the community here. I think what makes Westmont College such an influential place to live and learn is the fact that the professors live on campus and are so intentional about community. I am also in love with the surrounding area- beaches, hiking trails, everything!

Rachael

Westmont College is a private Christian school focused on the formation of intelligent and compassionate servant leaders. This school is perfect for students who want their faith to be an integrated part of the classroom. Westmont has small class sizes (12-20 students on average), most of the professors live on campus so they are almost always available to students, and there is a strong sense of community between the students. Westmont also offers several unique study abroad experiences that become an integrated part of your degree and campus life.

Cara -Celeste

Westmont offers great academics, a vibrant community, and beautifully scenery. The professors are personable and care about their students. The academics are stimulating and challenging. The class sizes are fairly small and accommodate class discussion.

Great community, friendly people, very nature orientated campus! The Res Life department rocks - campus activities are so fun and the RD's/RA's are the best people around! Plus, the abroad programs here are so diverse, with a wide range of options regarding major/minor application and cost! If you want to travel, love Jesus, looking for a lasting friendships, etc come here!!!

Nathaniel

Westmont College is a fantastic place to grow as a scholar and Christian. I love the "liberal arts moments" that happen here, when I make connections between things I've learned in very different classes. My freshman year, we discussed some of the same issues in my chemistry, biology, philosophy, and New Testament classes! The professors are so helpful and available, and they really work with you if you are having a hard time. Also, the location is gorgeous. Full disclosure, there have been some recent natural disasters (a large forest fire that late caused mudslides) that have hit the community hard this year and forced us to evacuate a couple of times. Through all of this, though, the administration has made the right decisions to keep us safe and on track with our learning, and Santa Barbara remains a gorgeous place to live.

John

I don't recommend this school. I graduated from this school and realized very quickly upon entering the work world that my degree not only had very little value but that it was worth less than other state and private schools. The alumni association is small to non-existent. The school allows approximately 1200 students at a time, that means roughly 300 graduate a year. Given a span of 40 years with 300 people graduating a year that means the ENTIRE alumni association is 12,000 individuals. This is a pittance compared to larger schools with more resources for students looking to help their soon to graduate alumni associates. Further, this school isn't a place for students to find who they are as individuals, it's an extension of high school youth group. There are many conversations that are not allowed if they don't fit within the Christian narrative. College is four years you can't get back. Go somewhere with better student resources, larger class sizes, and a body of people who are looking to push each other by providing critical debate about relevant topics.

Rennie

I am a sophomore at Westmont and I have been extremely pleased with my experience thus far. Westmont has been my top college all throughout my college search, and I am so glad that I decided to come to Westmont. They have amazing financial aid, professors, and students, and I always feel safe on campus. I have also enjoyed the liberal arts experience because it makes me feel like I am making the most of my college education.

Liz

Westmont is more than just an amazing place to go to school, it's a great place to live in community with wonderful, caring people who will fast feel more like family than friends. Even after just a year, I already feel so close to all of the amazing people I have meet here. I spent this entire summer eagerly texting and calling my new friends, excited for another year together. The teachers and classes are interesting, their are plenty of activities to keep you entertained, but it's the people who make the school great.

Delaney

Westmont is an intellectually and spiritually challenging environment in which its students are formed. The professors, staff, and faculty truly care for the students. The campus community is a place where you will meet your best friends for life. I love Westmont and the beautiful city of Santa Barbara.

Grace

I am not currently enrolled but I am committed to attending in the fall and I am beyond excited to be apart of the Westmont community. I love the small school feel and welcoming atmosphere. Growing up in a Christian environment, I longed to find an atmosphere that fit who I was spiritually. Westmont is not some puritan, judgmental Christian academy; it is invested in letting you know that God loves you, and challenges each individual to be the best version of themselves.

Andrea

Westmont is an extremely unique school - being a liberal arts college there's a focus on broadening general knowledge and develop general intellectual capacities & learning about multiple fields of study rather than limiting our focus on one. The professors are always available and willing to answer any and all questions. It is a Christian college and very pushy about that (sometimes the students can be closed off to other religions). It's also lacking in diversity.

Julia

It was a very good school but definitely too silent on issues happening outside of Westmont that it became like a bubble. The campus rarely has any kind of protests, doesn't address big events that has happened, e.g. our campus was silent when Donald Trump was elected president, and there needs to be more work towards more diversity-- recruiting more students of color and hiring faculty and staff of color.

Alesha

Westmont is a great Christian liberal arts college. The people you meet here are amazing individuals. The academics can be challenging at times, but the class sizes and availability of the professors, make it worth your while. Also, although Westmont does not have greek life, our student life organizations make student life at Westmont just as exciting. I recommend visiting for yourself!

Giovanna

I believe Westmont College is a beautiful place to study and learn more about what you are passionate about. The students are encouraging and helpful. The professors are well-equipped, supportive and almost always available. There are many facilities, and the ratio from student to professor is perfect. Westmont College is an amazing place to build a strong community and get involved in fun extracurricular activities. As an incoming freshman, I am excited to experience life at college in the most beautiful place in California.

Morgan

Great all-around school. Wonderful academics, professors challenge and genuinely care about you, incredibly nice student body and you are really pushed outside your limits. Also, can’t beat Santa Barbara. Really can’t beat this experience to challenge and grow in your faith.

Ariadne

I love it! It’s amazing! The people are amazing! My professors are amazing! And the view is beautiful! All over all you learn to grow spiritual and in life and you stretch your mind in many different ways! You make many connections and many of your life long friends!

Kassandra

Westmont College is an amazing school with a very supportive and kind community. They accel in academics and have amazing programs, particularly in Pre-Medicine and Kinesiology programs. They have great athletic opportunities, with several varsity and recreational sports to join. Plus, they are not very far from downtown Santa Barbara and the beach. The Montecito area is a very safe place to live.