Wharton, TX
Wharton County Junior College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wharton County Junior College

Kailyn

So far, my experience at the Wharton County Junior College (At Sugarland, Tx) has been great! I admire the modern architecture and infrastructure of the buildings (I happen to be very picky for this type of thing), the clean atmosphere, and the friendly staff. However, there are a few reasons why this review isn't five stars. For one, the parking situation at the campus stinks (I happen to park in the gravel daily :( ). There is a lack of food options at the campus (Though Chick-fil-a will randomly appear with their stand, however, they are overpriced (compared to the regular chain) and inconsiderate due to us being broke college students). And, the campus is in desperate need of another building (it is PACKED- not a good thing when you're claustrophobic like I am). Even though these three things must be taken into consideration when coming to the Sugarland branch of Wharton, the reason why I am giving this institution four-stars is because of the quality of the professors. So far, I've had a total of eight professors and out of the eight, I would say two were pathetic. I can tell that the professors care about their jobs (except for the two I've had- whom I will not name), and that the value of education is high. In addition to the professors, I love how the campus looks overall. I do recommend coming to this campus, because even though I haven't seen the other campuses, I believe this is the best one (and the newest).

Billy

My overall opinion of Wharton County junior College would have to be that it is a good school if you want to get most or all of your basics out of the way. At least that is what I plan on doing due to the fact of classes being cheaper and then I will be transferring to a four year university.

Ala'a

Wharton county junior college (WCJC) is a great choice to start off college with. Applying to a community college and then transferring to a university is a lot cheaper then directly attending a four year university. In addition, the size of classrooms in a community college is relatively small which allows students to participate in the class discussions and ask questions. WCJC is a small community college with lots of diversity. It has 4 convenient locations: Sugar Land, Wharton, Richmond, and Bay Town. Also, most professors are great at lecturing, they are available for students in their office hours, and they create an environment of mutual respect. The college campus is safe with security guards always found around the buildings. So if you are looking for a small, diverse, yet highly academic college, then Wharton County Junior College may be the choice for you.

John

One of the satelite campuses needs to be updated and modernized.

It is much cheaper going to a junior college for your first two years than a four year university.

Melissa

Wharton County Junior College has a great team of professors and staff members. Everyone is so helpful during the registration process. All my professors have been helpful and interested in their subjects they teach. My only complaint is there is not enough student parking.

There really aren't any student stereotypes, the students are just middle class, young working adults.

I am new to the school, so I haven't joined any clubs yet, but I have seen a wide variety from athletics to drama. Most students are single so you mainly see large groups of friends. Students who attend wharton aren't here to party, many have to work and attend classes.I work 30 hours a week when I am not in class. Most weekends I stay busy at my job and studying for my classes.

Students are pretty diverse on the Wharton campus. Most are young, right out of high school students. Students dress casual and business casual for the most part, but the atmosphere is still pretty laid back. I would say most students are middle class or higher who attend the college.

My favorite class is my U.S History class, my professor is so interesting and easily relatable to students. I always leave class wanting to hear more. Students are interested and enjoy participating in class lectures. I am majoring in AA Business degree and plan on getting my bachelors degree.

Christina

I'm not sure about stereotypes. Maybe just lazy, good-for-nothings? Obviously not true at all, students may not be the most enthusiastic, but I believe it's just the overall setting that sets the mood.

Usually just sports. Volleyball and baseball were the most things I heard about.

Academics are....more or less non-existent (at least competitive-wise.) Being a community college, it's not "imperative" to be on top. Most students are basically transferring within the next few semesters anyway. The teachers (or professors) are still enthusiastic, the students...are not so much. They go along enough to pass and get the class over with. (Sad, but true.)

Katrina

Now knowing about college life and the transition, I would advise myself to never lose sight of my dream just because of the hardships that come with life. With life comes obstacles and it's up to you to make the most of what you go through. Whether something good or bad happens, it's up to you to handle the situation that is at your hands. Never lose optimisim no matter how hard things may seem. Putting in your best effort through the worst is the best you can do, and you can only hope for the better. Sometimes, you may even be surprised of the good things that come out of the worst case scenarios. And once you accept the hardships, you can to be true to yourself. From there, you will be able to know what needs to be done. Keep a clear mind, heart, and eyes.

WCJC is unique compared to the other schools I considered because it's affordable and very close to home. I know that I can be provided with the best kind of education here at WCJC. It's a good environment to learn in because it is clean and tidy. The staff seem to be very kind and helpful in times of students needing help.

I would WCJC is best known for being a college that can help you maintain a good enough GPA in order to transfer to a good university. They have several programs and the one I'm very aware of is their nursing program.

Aryel

Wharton County Junior College is best known for being a really nice junior college with good professors. It is one of the best junior colleges to complete all basic classes if you plan to transfer to a four year university. The prices are way cheaper than universities and even other junior colleges.

Well I chose WCJC mostly because it's close to home and affordable. There was no point in me going straight off to a university when I did not even know what I wanted to do when I started college. It would have been a waste of money to pay university prices on classes that could be taken at WCJC. It is really helping me to prepare for a four-year university. I will be attending the University of North Texas next fall and my major is studio art. WCJC is where I figured out what I wanted to do.

I would tell my 17-year-old self that going to junior college is nothing to look down on and that it will help me in the long run. I would also say that I really need to stop procrastinating on anything and everything. Fill out as many scholarship applications as I can and even though I plan to go to a junior college I still need to stay on top of things at all times. And definitely, save more money and do not spend so much on unnecessary things.

Victoria

Apply for many scholarships while in high school because college is expensive, and books are a pain to pay for. Build up your listening skills; the lectures are long, and everything the professor says is on the test. Learn to write proper essays within a day to get you ready for the homework assignments in english and research papers for other classes. Research papers are essential to almost every core class so practice alot. Be prepared to be responsible for the due date on every assignment because the professor won't remind you till the last minute.

I wish that i would have known that a student could apply for online courses and in class lectures during the same semester. Knowing this i would of been able take more classes.

Parking becomes very difficult during the 9AM classes.

Diane

i wish i had known that some of the classes have to be taken in Wharton which is 45 minutes from where i live, while in Richmond it is only 18 minutes.

the most frustrating thing about my school is when i want to pay attention in class and students are disturbing me.

the advice i would give myself is before you start any school, know what is accepted of you. when i was in high school i was new here in U.S.A, i did not know that the GPA was given at the end of senior year. when i received it, i was suprised of not only it was calculated by looking at the whole senior students; but also i had no idea of what it meant in general. if i can change that i would have made an effort as i am making now, so i could have a better GPA.

Wharton County Junior College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.