Wheaton College-Norton Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Wheaton College-Norton

Ryan

I love the environment and I can not wait to get involved in everything possible.

Abby

Wheaton is your average small town liberal arts college with small class sizes, beautiful buildings, knowledgeable professors, and friendly students. For the most part, the students are well-rounded, partaking in various activities from academics to music and art to sports and community service. Although there are "a few bad eggs" on campus, the majority of students are honest and helpful. The campus tends to be fairly liberal, but for the most part other viewpoints are respected. There is a small party seen on weekends, but few go out of their way to drink or do drugs on weeknights. The faculty and staff are personable, while the president and his wife are often seen around campus both at the many events put on by the college and on their daily strolls through the green on warm afternoon.

Katja

I went to Wheaton College for a visit and I was very angry. We went to cafeteria to get lunch, and I have serious celiacs desies. When I asked for a gluten free bun I asked if the complimentary fries were also gluten free-they replied that they were only patatoe fries no bread. I tried to re explain and say that if anything is fried in the same oil I can't eat it, because of my severe allergy. Turns out the fries are not gluten free. The woman behind the counter gave me a shocked look and told the man cooking to change his gloves. The fact that they wouldn't do That anyway if I asked for an allergen free meal hives me such anxiety, because I am lucky in the gluten free world, I only vomit when I eat, but others can die on spot because of gluten. If one time I forget to mention my allergy I worry that I could get physically sick. Anyway they make me my gluten free burgur and guess what came with it, the non-gluten free fries. All together I don't really feel like I can eat at the college because of the lack of listening to my allergies.

Heydrick

Wheaton is the place to be if you want to get away from the city or a large town. Being located in the middle of nowhere means there are not many things to do but you will find what you enjoy. Another benefit of being in the middle of nowhere and being a part of a small community is that you can build relationships with many people or created powerful bonds with some. The community and small size is probably the most appealing aspect about Wheaton. This will not be the place for you if you always want to be partaking in large events or parties. Another huge plus is the faculty at the school. I find that the Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science departments have the best faculty. These departments create powerful relationships with each other and more importantly the students. There are many people that feel this way at the school who aren’t majoring in one of those fields such as me. The other departments, from my experience, stay to themselves but are also nice. Overall, I think that Wheaton College is a great school but for the right people. If you are looking for a small liberal arts school where you will feel a part of a community and are willing to sacrifice being close to any stores then this looks like the place for you. You will get a great education from amazing professors that genuinely care for your education and would be willing to help you with any challenge you bring them. I was able to get professors that I had for a semester to write me recommendation letters to prestigious organizations and be accepted. This goes to show the effort they put into you.

Wheaton is a hidden gem. It has a lot of opportunities that most small liberal arts schools don't - high profile performers (Bobby McFerrin, Yo Yo Ma) every year, a whole slew of Fulbrights and Rhodes Scholars, and a lot of brand new, state of the art facilities. The only huge downside to Wheaton is the town - it's fairly small, so there's not a lot to do off campus. However, we are within a pretty quick distance of both Boston and Providence, so it's livable.

Alisa

It took some time to grow on me but I love the small community. It is a safe space surrounded by nature and is filled with friendly faces: students and professors.

Z

Overall, I am very pleased with Wheaton College as an academic institution and have loved the classes that I've taken. The close enough vicinity to Providence and Boston has allowed me to explore the two cities on occasion; both are accessible through reliable, but time consuming, public transportation.

MacKenzie

Being a first year in college, it seemed foreign to me to identify your college as your home. Now I fully believe Wheaton is home. The faculty and staff go out of their way to make you feel safe and welcome. Everyone at Wheaton is kind and encouraging. The conversations I've had nourish me intellectually and socially. Everyone at Wheaton is ready to have an intellectual conversation with you, and treats you with respect. My dorm room and roommates make me feel comfortable and safe. The activities and educational opportunities on campus are vibrant and exciting. In just my first semester I have learned so much and have been able to expand my world view immensely. The staff at Wheaton goes out of their way to make sure you're comfortable. Professors have regular office hours and are easy to meet with if you have a problem. Everyone is willing you to succeed which is a wonderful feeling. I love it here.

Veronica

Overall, I love Wheaton College. The majority of students, faculty and staff are extremely friendly and welcoming. Of the professors that I've had, all of them have been extremely knowledgeable and had a real passion for teaching. The fact that they love their job makes learning in their classrooms that much more enjoyable.

Hali

it is a great school with small class sizes in order to really get to know you professors. the food on the weekend is horrible and sometimes during the week. but everyone here is friendly and not judgy. i really like all the friends i have made and the weekend life here. overall it is a really good school.

Kiya

I really love my experience at Wheaton College in Norton. Every day is a new experience at Wheaton. I love my classes because the professors teach me subjects that I want to pursue. I love the extra curricular activities available on campus. I am apart of the step team there and I love it. My team pushes me to do my best in my academics and in every day life.

Hanna

Excellent school!

y'all r stealing my info?

Fine music department very helpful meh food, a vegan station all the time, but only one option... but dining services are very open to student opinion-- they ask the students what they want to see improved and work to see it happen... for example, the clam chowder freshman dorms are hit or miss-- there are forced triples (three people living in the space for a double), but if you get a double it's quite spacious with a good-sized closet... a new freshman/wellness dorm was just built and while it looks nice, it's falling apart due to rushed construction. there is no off-campus housing, unless you're one of the very few who commutes. it's a small school in a small town... most people say it's not a college town but a town with a college in it and i can't help but agree... there isn't much within walking distance and i don't have a car. there's a pizza place, a chinese place, and a bar, and a few little restaurants. there's also a cvs and a walgreens. the best place i've been is bagels and cream, a local bagel and coffee place that's really good. there's about 1700 students but i always see new people intro classes are big and lecture-style (i took chem (about 40 people) and cultural anthro , but once you get past them, it gets a lot smaller... around 15-20 people... it's a very liberal liberal arts school... a lot of open thinking as an athlete, the athletic community is very tight-knit and teams will come out and support one another. there's a strong sense of solidarity ] we are apparently several million dollars in debt as well

Ari

Wheaton is extremely supportive academically and fun-wise is what you make it. So to speak if i'm away from Wheaton one weekend I'm not worried about missing a banger. And sometimes Saturdays consist of nothing more than you make playing some drinking games with your friends, if thats your thing. There are themed houses that throw down but no sorority life. Its not very diverse however students of color really stick together on campus and provide a lot of moral support in this predominantly white school. And the white students really make an effort to understand POC experiences its a very liberal atmosphere where everytime a hot topic pops up people can conversate about it rather than one person try to educate the rest. As for the faculty well it matches the lack of diversity in the students some are better than others and your opinion usually depends upon whether you find them problematic or not. Wheaton generally hires pretty able professors. Financially Wheaton isn't that affordable, but the name carries some weight so you sort of get what you pay for. And also student financial services IS NOT HELPFUL one time I had $0.05 left on my account and they continuously billed me for the entire semester $50 per month. But hey you live you learn nonetheless check your bill. ALSO the water is brown and I'm not talking tinge of yellow I'm talking ice tea, coffee brewed brown. The safety of it is still under investigation by the students even though Wheaton says its safe its just hard to believe.

Alice

With the start of my fourth year at Wheaton College, I have witnessed a lot of change on campus. While many of these changes are introduced by the administration, there are multiple initiatives that were set forth in motion by students on campus. This can refer to the multiple physical changes around campus including water fountains installed in every major building, renovated dining halls and new team players to the administration, faculty, and staff including our college president recently inaugurated. Some may say these (physical) changes at Wheaton have only proven to balance Wheaton among its competitors who already have state of the art equipment and vast funding. Wheaton also has come with its own set of cons: the infamous “Norton flush” that will literally blacken your day when you turn the faucet on to brush your teeth twice a year only to see brown water spew forth to its lack of immediate surrounding attractions and stores. While I may agree in some instances and see why the cons are troubling, I can be positive that consensus around campus is that Wheaton is very interested in what students want to see changed or improved in and work to achieve these goals. Sometimes these materialistic desires of students are hugely offset by the positive and meaningful interactions with faculty and staff, who continue to inspire passion and instill confidence in each student. Exploration of self and interests are endless within the time span of being an undergraduate at Wheaton. I came in as a first year thinking I would try to find a job after getting my degree at Wheaton, and as I continue my fourth year I have come to believe my time at Wheaton is more than just a goal before my career. It has become the gradual stepping stones to my foundation skills in critical thinking, resilience, creativity, self-motivation, and ambition, which I will continue to utilize and develop on the job.

Diana

I really like Wheaton. The students, staff, and faculty all work really hard to create a fun. friendly, and welcoing environment. The people really make the institution stand out because they are all invested in making the best out of the school and devote themselves to the institution and making it as best as it can be. I really see it doing well these next few years and beoming one of the top colleges in the country very soon.

I felt at home the minute I walked onto campus. The atmosphere, people, and groups allow the academics to be an enjoyable part of the overall college experience, which was really important to me when applying. I've only been at Wheaton for one year but I am already excited to go back to campus and start another year much more acclimated to the scene.

Tatyanna

At first glance, it seems like a great school, but once you go here you can see that there are some things that can be improved. In my experience, having an advisor is not helpful at all, my previous advisor knew nothing about me, and coming back for this semester I found out through a different professor that my advisor had left the school and I had no idea who my new advisor was. There can be better communication between advisors and advisees. There is not much to do here on the weekends either, the campus is a ghost town and with that being said, there is barely any good food served during the weekend, most of the food station at the dining hall is closed, leaving very little options. The Business Department is quite small, but it is fairly new. Overall the classes are good, very stimulating and the professors are great.

Delilah

I enjoy Wheaton College. The teachers are very accessible and I have created a great relationship with the people I go to school with. I am comfortable with the class size and always feel challenged. I am apart of many clubs that make me as a student feel comfortable with the state of the school.

James

Wheaton College MA has been a wonderful place to attend so far. They have made attending financially possible as well as showing the education and opportunities are both significant and abundant. It may be in a sleepy town and the LAC style may not be for everyone but it is an amazing school regardless. A hidden gem I believe

Mikaela

When I first stepped foot on Wheaton's campus, I was a little worried. I can certainly lend some credit to the normal anxieties that come with a transition as large as moving two and a half hours away from my family, friends, and everything else I had known up until that time. But a lot of my fear was about what I might be about to experience. I had only heard good things about Wheaton, but I considered the school a safety. I never thought I would actually find myself enrolled there. I was concerned about how I would fit in, the area, the quality of the education that I would be getting, and more. Now, a year after that day, I can happily say that I have never been more involved in a community in my entire life- and that's including the years I spent in the Girl Scouts doing community service and filling the hearts and stomachs of my small town. I can say with certainty that Wheaton is committed to having a place for everyone on its campus. The school is incredibly welcoming, incredibly diverse, and incredibly educated. It celebrates everyone and embraces not only each and every unique talent and story that is brought to it through its students, but the community that is created when all of those elements come together. I'm proud to be a part of Wheaton.

Delaney

Wheaton is the college for the undecided and unsure, who despite their wariness in choice are bursting with potential. It is a small college, located in a small town, so most students spend the majority of their time on campus. However it makes for such a personal environment, people become close quickly. It is one of the most accepting communities that exists in the world of colleges, nobody is discriminated against. Wheaton students do not see color, gender, or age. They see people and the beauty that exists within each person studying at Wheaton. As for academics, the professors are all highly qualified individuals who genuinely care for their students. They are passionate for the subjects they teach and often have worked in their field for years and produced a number of works surrounding it. The Wheaton education is flexible, promoting a liberal arts structure. Students are not required to declare their majors until the end of their sophomore year, providing plenty of time to experiment and be certain in choice. As for extracurriculars, many exist. Every interest under the sun has a a club to go with it and if you happen to find one missing, you are free to create it yourself. Club sports are also abundant for those who like to be active but may not have the best arm. No Greek life exists at Wheaton, instead theme house, where anyone with a common interest can live together in said designated house. Wheaton is also doing a remarkable job in regards to sustainability. All food leftover in the dining hall goes to the nearby pig farm for the trough, all napkins are biodegradable, and recycling bins exist everywhere on campus. There aren’t many amazing aspects of Wheaton that cannot possibly fit into this review, it is genuinely an under appreciated diamond in the rough. Wheaton exists to serve its students well, and in turn the students do the same, making Wheaton one of my most favorite places to be.

Brent

Disgusting buildings, disgusting campus, even more disgusting town. Nothing to do, on a grey day here weather wise, the campus looks even more gross. Just a disgusting campus and disgusting town. Don’t come here unless your literally a zombie. Nothing to do! Gross gross campus

Emma

I feel that the education is ok but the professors aren't always present. Also, the dining isn't great because of foods being served everyday. Also, the environment isn't the greatest because there are many different snots. I would rather be in an environment that accepts me for who I am since I have a disability.

Callie