Wheaton College-Wheaton

« See more reviews of Wheaton College-Wheaton

I think Wheaton has the right amount of rules. There is no curfew and no dress code so I don't feel at all restricted in my daily life at Wheaton. The rules that are there are there to make the Wheaton community a safe place to learn and grow together. Having a dry campus is great because you can bet that most of your friends are not going to be out drinking on the weekends. We can have just as much fun together without getting drunk. It just leads to a closer, safer campus community feeling so I trust people more readily here than I think I would elsewhere. As to the trying to be perfect stereotype, I think it's true sometimes. Being real is hard, especially in an environment full of type A, overachievers who were all the "smart kid" in high school. Almost everyone I know was one of the best in their high school class as far as academics go. Freshman year that threw me a little bit. I felt very mediocre and unsuccessful at everything. Once you find your place and find your friends I think that doesn't matter as much. I've gotten involved in some groups on campus that I love and found my group of friends who love and accept me and now I wouldn't go anywhere else for the world. It just takes a little time and it requires you being real and then other people will be real back.

- No Dating life: This stereotype is relatively true, but not because the opportunities aren't available, but because many Students have Christian value systems that shy away from dating for fun, or sometimes even for the purpose of searching for the right spouse- for a season at least. - Pray a lot: In a recent servey done by the college newspaper, only about 35-40 percent of students said that they daily spend time in prayer. However, corporate gatherings abound, and the freshmen and sophomore classes are bringing up the average significantly. Though it varies from year to year, Wheaton will always be a place where prayer warriors abound. - Smart: Accurate. The classroom discussion is always rich and insightful. These students address the biggest issues of our day with intelligence, honesty, and even wisdom.

no, its a lot more rough around the edges than you'd expect. Since I live around Wheaton, I knew the reputation it had as the premier Christian college in the country. Everyone is aware of Wheaton's relatively strict community covenant with rules such as no tobacco products and no alcohol. However, more kids struggle with that stuff than you think. I thought coming in, kids in general would be less into that kinda stuff and more into Jesus, and for the most part they are, but there is certainly a population among the students who engage in normal party school type activities. Ppl call it the 'underground'.

On campus you’ll find students very convinced of their faith, rather unsure, and severely doubting. In my experience, there hasn’t been any true stereotype for Wheaton students. There’s a strong belief on campus that Wheaton students are outgoing, type A personality overachievers, and that is true to some degree. There certainly are many students that go above and beyond the prof’s requests, but not everyone is that way. Most students are motivated to academically succeed, but there are always those who are simply happy with passing.

To an extent. Wheaton's a complicated place - it places incredibly high emphasis on the spiritual growth, and it is a very evangelical place. But that doesn't mean all, or even most, of the students go along whistling "Amazing Grace." It's really a place of growth, and growth often means questioning a lot of very fundamental truths. It is true that some of the most quality people I've ever met have come from Wheaton, but don't think it's Christian rainbows and sunshine. There's a lot of reality at Wheaton.

As a student, I have not found the institution of Wheaton College to be overbearing or strict in any way. You agree to abide by certain rules when you enter and if you choose not to follow them, the college will work with you. There are a lot of very driven students at Wheaton, but the sterotype is very wrong. There is a huge diversity of students with tons of interests, passions, and skills outside of just school work!

Some of them. Most people are type A and are the oldest children in their family (or are only children). The majority of campus is republican, and probably 95% are Christians. however, not everyone is nerdy, not everyone is extremely purposely driven. I myself am one of several students who do not consider academics to the highest goal of college. And not everyone is cynical, not even all of the seniors.

There are people here who are the reason these stereotypes exist, obviously, but for the most part if those words don't describe you, there's still a lot of places for you to be. I am not conservative by any measure, but have found community here with people who are. I am not type A and people are fine with that. Actually I'd say teh Type A stereotype is probably the most quoted and least accurate.

while most people are pretty smart and are generally pretty dedicated to their relationship with the Lord, students at Wheaton are really social and fun to be around! and people are pretty varied in their political beliefs, so don't think that every one is automatically conservative and in love with Bush. it's totally not true.

The first one: no. The second: Sort of, for the socailly shy, yes; but for the outgoing kids, no. The third: No, I was not at the top of my class, they want students who are well rounded indivuals. In fact, MANY students were not the over-zealous top-of-the-class indivuals.