Wheaton College-Wheaton

« See more reviews of Wheaton College-Wheaton

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Most most Evangelicals who've heard of Wheaton think of it as a 'holy roller' school. They then to feel a pretty strong, 'holier than though' mentality emanating from the place, and frown on a few of the more conservative standards put forward (no drinking or tobacco, closed floors, etc.) At the same time, I've heard many non-Christians say that the Wheaton Alum's they meet in the business world are some of the most quality people; trustworthy, hard workers and phenomenal character. The Evangelical population generally views it as one of the few remaining bastions of conservativism and true Christian higher education.

Apparently many people are under the impression that Wheaton is some sort of Taliban promoting jihad of the fundamentalist Christians. This could not be further from the truth. Coming from the South, I was surprised to find out how liberal the school was. Don’t get me wrong, in the larger scheme of things it’s still a conservative school. But there is a growing College Democrats club, a Christian Feminists club, multiple environmentalists clubs, and a large racial equality movement on campus. Additionally, many of the faculty in science appear to be quite convinced evolutionists.

Everyone is perfect, and pure, and no one ever needs any help unless they really don't belong at Wheaton. They are all expected to be married at the end of their time in college, and yet there is no real niche for dating. It is very hard for people to be themselves and not have their actions judged as not being for the benefit of watching eyes.

Everyone is extremely nice and involved in a million organizations and extra-curricular activities all while taking 18 hours (the max without overloading) and getting A's in every class. Oh yeah, and active and involved in a church and leading a Discipleship Small Group and... all with a smile on their faces.

I think some people think Wheaton students are sheltered or that there are too many strict rules here to really have fun or have the college experience. Wheaton students have also been accused of being fake and trying to be too perfect.

Wheaton students are at school for the single purpose of finding a suitable spouse. Wheaton students look down upon their peers who do not attend church on a regular basis. Wheaton is a conservative environment.

They're goody two shoes. They're really smart and terrible overachievers. They're fit, in shape, concerned about themselves and others; they're environment minded. They're the ultimate Christians.

1. You meet your future spouse at Wheaton 2. ... even though finding a date at Wheaton is hard 3. Everyone was at the top of their class in their High School.

Wheaton has the sterotype of being very uptight, rather unforgiving, and relatively strict. The students are characterized as Type-A, driven, and disciplined.

Wheaton is a very prestigious Christian school, and it has a student body with conservative ideologies, and studious and puritanical ways of living.