Boston, MA
Wheelock College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wheelock College

Kylie

My school is best known for career paths with children. We are a big education school, but they are opening to a lot more fields. Here most everyone works with some sort of children and it is a great expierence. No matter what field you are in, you will always get a practicum to get a first hand look at your field.

I would tell myself not to pretend like it's not happening. I just did not want to think about college so I put it all off. Also, apply for scholarships! I did not think they mattered my first year of college so I just did not try, but when my parents got my first bill I realized how serious it truly was. You need to apply yourself in order to make the expierence less stressful. Now I scramble looking for scholarships and it gets tough when billing periods come up. I would also tell myself to do more campus tours, because as much as I like my school it is always good to see a school before you go. Fall in love with your school before you attend it truly changes your outlook on everything. Just be smarter and know college is an important step in life and running away from it really is not an option. It is all worth it, stop stessint you'll fall in love with it all eventually and see how worth it the epierence is.

I think a common complaint is that here you have to maintain a C average in order to pass a class. It can feel overhelming because coursework can be tough, but teachers are understanding and always want you to pass. Just know that here it is easy to get an A, just apply yourself and know that you need to pass and try your hardest.

My biggest piece of advice to myself would be that it is OKAY to be afraid. I felt so much pressure as senior in high school to know exactly what I wanted in life. I made my initial decision about school (I am a second year transfer student) based on insecurity. The only solid I had was that I wanted to study education. Choosing schools is a terrifying experience; it is also one that I think is nearly impossible for a 17-year old to make. I had no idea what I wanted for the next four years of my life. It is a huge, overwhelming decision. A year into my time at school in Maine, I realized that I just didn't belong. So, I took a leap of faith and applied to an education school in Massachusetts. After I was accepted, again, I was scared. I was moving to a foreign city. But I trusted my instincts and soon learned that sometimes it is the raw, unnerving sensation of fear that leads us to our truest potential. My fear led me to my first year of college and then ultimately drove me to pursuing my dream.

The biggest flaw of Wheelock College is also one of its greatest strengths: it's size. Wheelock has a very small population of students. This creates unbeatable teacher-to-student ratios, but it also creates a claustrophobic feel. It is much a like a closeknit family; but like with all families, there is conflict and tension. Luckily, the school is in the large city of Boston, so even though words spread like wildfire, the city can be a sweet escape.

Their mission. Wheelock College encourages me to be the "best me I can be", as cliche as that sounds. My "best me" is when I am working with children. Their mission is "improving the lives of children and families." I am proud to share this very same mission and be a Wheelock College student. The students, professors, and school itself strive to make a difference in the world. Sure, we're not Superman or Mahatma Gandhi, but we certainly have the same dreams.

The motto of Wheelock is to "inspire a world of good" and I think that encompasses what it is known for. There are very few majors that can be persued here, and they are all programs geared towards helping people, such as teaching or social work. My school is known as a place for people who love to work with children, and who are very passionate about helping others.

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not hold on so tightly to my own expectations. I would tell myself to go into everything with an open mind, because the second I start to do that, life improves so much. I would tell myself that, no matter what I think, I will miss my mom and my hometown. I'd tell myself to cherish the time I have there, because although better times are coming, times at home defined me too. I would tell myself, to prepare for a radical change of mindset. I always cared about helping people, but it will become my life. I will tell myself stories about social justice and how my old friends may not quite understand how I can be so passionate about things that don't touch me directly. Above all, I think I would tell myself to let go of my anxieties. I would say, “You are about to start an incredible and remarkable adventure. You will make new friends and have the time of your life learning eye opening lessons. Enjoy it.”

The most frustrating thing about my school is how it is a school where people are supposed to be open and accepting, but often times people can be very close-minded. Because it is such a small school, everyone knows everyone, and they can be very judgmental. Older students are not always very supportive of younger students, and people can be quick to stereotype. I was not expecting that, and it’s frustrating that my expectations about the school are not reality.

Carina

Hey Carina, College is many things and freedom is one thing that will help you accomplish anything you want, if you use it wisely. So much time in day, week, and month. You may not know what to do with yourself in the beginning with all the time you have, but be patience because things will happen and you full figure out what to do. Don't force yourself to be in a group of friends when they will find you. Never let anyone bring down your self-esteem and rememeber home will always be home and it's not going anywhere, but you are. College is about the next chapter of your life, being independent and figuring out what career or occupation you want to do. Friends come and go, learn to accept that not everyone you meet is going to have your back or be by your side. Never ever stop believing in yourself and don't let others run your life for you.

My school's mission is to improve the lives of children and families; opportunity to our students to engage with the surrounding communities of Boston.

In Wheelock anything is possible. You want something done or want to invent and sell, just ask any staff in our school campus and they will help you make it happen. Especially, as an student-athlete they will help you achieve and support anything that will bring you to success and brighter a future. I want major in Juvenile Justice and Socia Work, Wheelock helps me chase after my dream to help the youth. My first year as a freshman in Wheelock, has given the opportunity to engage with children and impacting one child's life at a time.

Caleigh

This school is a great place for students who want to become teachers, but there is little else available for other career choices.

People that want to help and impact others and have had a hard time in school would fit in well here.

metta

My classmates are very diverse, both racially and economically.

My classmates are very diverse, both racially and economically.

I would stop and appreciate what I had as a high school senior, rather than wishing time away because I wanted to be done with high school. I think that a lot of times people are so focussed on what they want next in their lives that they forget to stop and appreciate what they have. The transition into college made me realize that I should not have take my senior year for granted.

I really enjoy Wheelock because I was instantly placed into hands on situations. I really want to work with infants and toddler, so Wheelock placed me in an infant and toddler day care center for my field placement, which also counts as class credit.

Logan

Before attending Wheelock college I wish I had a clearer understanding of the required courses. As I am entering the last year of my education I find myself having to overload on courses in order to graduate on time. As a transfer student I was already behind others and am now taking up to six courses a semester to catch up. If I had know about the large amount of general required course I would have tried to complete them before transferring into this college.

I believe that Wheelock college is very open and welcome to all students. This college is a large community made of students and facility that all want to help and better the lives of children and families. Individuals who do no share the passion for children and families should not attend as they may not fit into the community that Wheelock is created around.

FIeld experience beginning in the first year of schooling.

FIeld experience beginning in the first year of schooling.

On move in day on my first day at Wheelock College, I was terrified. High school was over, yet I still felt so young and like I didn't belong in the big city for college. When I was a senior, I often thought about this day and how it would go. I figured that I would feel exactly like I did: a nervous, homesick wreck. However, if I knew then what I know now, I would have known to never feel that way. I now feel more at home at school than I do at my actual home. I think that the biggest piece of advice that I would give myself as a high school senior would be: "Don't worry and be nervous about college, because it is going to be the best experience of your life! I know you will be homesick at first, but it gets so much better. There will come a time when you can't even imagine being anywhere else but Wheelock College." I wish I had known this as a senior, because it would have relieved so much anxiety that I had about whether or not I would enjoy college!

How friendly everyone is and how committed they are to "inspiring a world of good" and improving the lives of children and families.

syndie

Encouraging students to inspire a world of good.

Encouraging students to inspire a world of good.

Allow your passion and your goals to be your motivator. At times college can be overwhelming, and what you give is what you will get. Nothing in life comes easy, you must work hard for it. You cannot afford to be like everybody else, have to work twice as hard. Allow your passion to be drive.

People who are passionate about making a positive impact in the world.

Gabrielle

Wheelock is best known for its early education program . They are well know in the Boston community. Graduating from wheelock with an Early Education degree garentees a job after college.

Wheelock is a very small college in the heart of Boston. Their class sizes are small allowing teachers to cater to their students needs. Wheelock also has very few lecture classes. Most of the classes are hands on and discussion base keeping the students very engaged in the matierail. Every student at Wheelock has the chance to go out in the community to practice what they learn in class, and by the end of your freshman year at Wheelock you already have 40 hours of internship in your feild.

Transitioning from High school to college can be a very stressful and exciting experience. Though you still have classes and teachers, the environment is very different. I can't lie and say that the transition will be easy and simple, but there are things that can make it a easier smoother transition. One thing to makes the transition easier is doing an overnight college visit to a college that you are interested in. It helps you experince what a college campus actually feels like. You are allowed to speak with students and see what both the social and academic culture looks like. Another things that makes the transition easier is keeping and open mind. We all go into college with certain expectations and assumptions, but keeping an open mind allows for you to try new things and become active. Join an organization and make friends who have similar interest as you. Having someone to go through the transition with you will make it easier.

Wheelock College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.