Walla Walla, WA
Whitman College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Whitman College

Madison

Whitman College is the perfect small town home to acquire a top-notch education. Small class sizes and very accessible professors make the challenging course able to accomplish. The student body is passionate about conservation, ethical practices and the fair treatment of everyone.

Franziska

I really appreciate everything they do to prevent sexual assault on campus. I feel very safe on weekends and at parties. The community can be pretty competitive at times. Overall Whitman has definitely helped me to see many issues within any community and how we can work together to help others and learn from them. Because it's such a small campus , the library is nice because it's easy to find someone who is in your class to study with. Everyone is very friendly and open and it's a great learning environment. Though Whitman has it's problems, like every school does, it is still a wonderful school that I have grown to consider home.

Tessa

I visited my HS best friend at Whitman for a week last semester. While the campus is beautiful, I felt completely out of place. My best friend is white...I am not. We are both come from mid-upper class families. For the 12 years we’ve been friends, skin color was never an issue. Now I am her ‘black friend’ and all her friends want me to be their token black friend. It was nauseating. Whitman is predominantly wealthy white folks with a very narrow liberal mindset. My political views vary but I am fairly conservative. These people only consume information that suits their confirmation bias and they are not as informed as they think they are. Can I afford to go to school here? Yes. Would I? No. My advice: find a school that is naturally diverse. A school that embraces free speech and open debate. Sadly Whitman is an echo chamber for rich, white liberals who have no idea what it’s like in the real world.

Madeline

As a senior in high school, people told me college would be the best time of my life. I assumed they were hyperbolizing, over-inflating, and, honestly, just plain condescending. It turns out they were right. Whitman College was perfect for me. I was challenged academically, socially, and physically. We read the foundational classics of Western society - Kant, Descartes, Homer, and Shakespeare. We also read and discussed more alternative yet equally important works like Toni Morrison's Beloved, the graphic novel Maus, and the film Battle of Algiers. Classrooms were dynamic, with professors and students engaging each other in difficult material. Those discussions poured over into the dining halls, dorm rooms, and the gorgeous 24 hour library. Whitman was an intellectual paradise. That said, I loved that Whitties were not just about the books. I was heavily active in the theater department, and my best friend was on the basketball team that went to Nationals. Every student was involved in something: arts, sports, outdoors, volunteer work, governing, social planning. Whitties are passionate people, and passionate people are fascinating to be around. Before I wrap up this perhaps overly sappy review, I have to mention Whitman's beautiful campus. Doing homework is a pleasure when you are surrounded by trees, a babbling brook, and your best friends. I would go back in a heart beat.

Whitman College is a small, quaint campus in the city of Walla Walla. If you are looking for a smaller community with the political, cultural, and environmental diversity of a larger community, Whitman College fits those requirements perfectly. The students have close relationships with each other, staff, and professors. All have unique and intellectual discussions inside and outside of the classroom. The campus itself is an optimal balance of architecture and foliage; the ratio of trees to students is 5:1. The dorm rooms are a bit small, but the amount of extracurricular activities and the rigor of coursework mean that you will only need that room to sleep or study, if that. Overall, Whitman College has high standards of natural beauty, intellect, and diversity for the student who has a passion to learn and go beyond their limits.

Anissia

Whitman College is a wonderful place for any individual who wants to learn and grow not only in the classroom but in the real world as well. Being that Whitman is a liberal arts school, the college provides a diverse field of various majors that interest all students. The staff, faculty, and students all play a vital role in making Whitman the successful school that it is and that's what makes Whitman a great college to attend.

Whitman!

Whitman!

Extremely rigorous science program. Other disciplines not as difficult. Good community, people are extremely kind and helpful. Academic competition between students is extremely healthy; everyone pushes each other to do better, but students aren't pitted against each other. Professors are usually very accessible. Students typically live on campus for the first two years and then move off campus. On campus is very safe, but off campus can be a little dicey, particularly if you're not white. But campus security is incredibly helpful and will walk you home whenever you need! Overall, a fairly safe school, an incredibly difficult science curriculum, but a well-established support system!

Madeline

Whitman is a wonderful place for curious minds. Challenging academics push students to reach their fullest potential. The small population in the school allows for opportunities to be involved in many places. Campus is beautiful, and Walla Walla is the jem of Eastern Washington.

Rigorous, yet classes and professors facilitate learning in the interest of the student. It's a worthwhile education that you have to work for.

Haley

A place where everyone can be themselves and find a positive intellectual community that fosters academic and personal growth...

We line up; the time starts; I run; I finish; That is the story of my first fitness test as a Whitman College varsity soccer player. Along with my matriculation at Whitman College in April came the knowledge that I would be playing varsity soccer and have to complete an assessment measuring my physical preparedness. This entailed a summer of training and anxiety. By August 18th, I was sufficiently scared out of my wits. While my fears that the test would be the most physically exhausting activity of my life did prove true, after ten minutes it was over and I could look forward to what came next. In retrospect, this fitness test was emblematic of my entire college transition. There was a lot of hype, it lived up to most of the hype, and then it was over and a new chapter begins. My most important advice to myself would be to recognize change as inevitable and to not let petty apprehensions detract from what is the most life-altering, positive transition of my life. Don’t get overwhelmed by fears, but enjoy your last months as a naïve high school student and embrace the change to come.

The intimate learning atmosphere limits the breadth of opportunities offered.

Joan

I am constantly reminded of what a good decision I made to apply and attend Whitman College. Whether it is when I am watching the A Capellas perform, listening to various lectures, or just hanging out with my friends--I am all-in-all content with going to this college. The best thing about this school would have to be the people--hands down. They're funny, engaging, and just brilliant; it's an entirely different world here.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

There are many reasons why anyone would choose Whitman College: small teacher to student ratio, a strong liberal arts education, an intimate and friendly campus, and especially the College being in the middle of nowhere. My reasons for choosing Whitman are all of these things. But there is one more. Last April, I saw the College for the very first time. Like many other students who see Whitman for the very first time, I fell in love with the campus. The day I visited, Shira Erlichman also visited. She is a musician, poet, and artist. Her music was soft and beautiful, her poems were humorous and poignant, and her art…well, she didn’t bring any, but I’m sure it is just as awe-inspiring as her voice and creativity. I thought, as I watched her perform, if Whitman invites such a person to campus, then this college must have such a group of people to spend a Friday night down in the basement of Reid Campus Center…And I was right.

Three things you should know before coming to Whitman: 1) At the beginning of the school year, it can be really hot, so I would suggest bringing a fair amount of summer clothes. But also bring winter clothes too, because after a month or so, it starts becoming chilly. 2) Do ALL of the activities planned for you during Opening Week. They are all part of your Whitman experience and are all amazing. 3) Don't go overboard, but do bring a lot of things from home that will make your new home feel like "home." It helped me transition better. Also, consider bringing a lot of junk food--as means of making friends by bribery (i.e. chocolate).

What's the Greek scene like?

There tends to be a function/party every weekend, as well as events and programs solely for those in the Greek system. However, about 33% of Whitman students are part of the Greek system, and I do not feel at all as "one of the Indies" and my friends as "one of the Greeks." The campus is very inclusive in nature, and it is not divided between Greek and Indies. Moreover, the Greek system is more of just another social club and another way to get to know more people. .

The most popular clubs and activities on campus would have to be the outdoor program, as well as theater, intramural/club sports, and student government. But there are so many other clubs and activities to participate in. I'm involved in peer listening, intramural soccer, and slam poetry. My favorite event so far was when we had a Drive-In theater on campus, put on by WEB (which is a club that puts on all kinds of events throughout the year). .

The students here are helpful, kind, and compassionate. They are very enthusiastic of their interests, and they really pursue their passions. It's really refreshing and motivates you to be live up to your own expectations. Most students are from Washington, Oregon, and California. But there are definitely people from states on the East coast and Midwest. There are international students as well. Whitman comprises predominantly of Caucasian students. But while I notice that I sometimes am the only Asian-American within my group of friends, I belong with them.

Depending on what classes you take, it may be a manageable or brutal semester. It is a good idea not to overload on classes during your first semester; it'll make the transition from previous schools to Whitman College smoother, But once you get the hang of your classes, take advantage of the vast array of classes Whitman has to offer next semester! Upon entering Whitman, my cousin gave me this advice, "Work hard THEN play hard." And this is true at Whitman. If you work hard, the classes you take won't be bad, and your weekends would be free. As for the academic setting in general--I think I've been really blessed. I've had great professors so far. I know others who did not fare as well, but this is to be expected. Other students are really nice, and the environment is more cooperative than competitive. Moreover, everyone works hard and does their part--it's really different than high school.

Coming to this college and reading the reviews of the school, I expected the college to be congested with "outdoorsy, athletic" students, who are all hyped about hiking and such. But the outdoors is not as dominant as I was led to believe. Certainly, I have friends who go on outdoor program trips, participate in intramural and club sports, and go to the gym (especially this time of year). But I also have friends who spend their times auditioning for plays, practicing yoga, writing for the newspaper, and practicing the piano. Whitman students are so very diverse the kinds of clubs and activities they participate in. I think the most relevant stereotype would be that Whitman students participate in everything. As a friend says, "It's such a Whittie thing to do." But do not let this dissuade or intimidate you from applying or attending Whitman. We do have a life outside of academics and clubs and sports; we do watch TV and movies, play Uno, and find ourselves "at home" and resting from a day's worth of flurry activities.

Whitman College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.