Whitman College

« See more reviews of Whitman College

No--there are definitely people who like to hike and camp and go on outdoor trips a lot, but there are also students who just aren't that inclined to the out of doors. You'll find many different types of people here. Since it is a smaller school, there isn't a ton of dating as in you meet someone and they ask you out. People tend to develop long-lasting relationships. CORE is a writing intensive course that introduces to classic thinkers of the Western world (and now maybe Eastern with Encounters). It is simply not true that everyone hates CORE. Personally, I loved it, and I know a ton of people who liked it, too (even science and math majors). Since CORE is taught by professors of all disciplines, sometimes you'll be stuck with someone who doesn't really deal with literature, and that's unfortunate. A great thing about CORE is that it unites the entire freshman class and it is a great point of conversation for people getting to know each other.

The campus is left-leaning, but the Campus Conservatives club is also active. While it's not the most nurturing environment for a budding conservative, it's certainly not the entire campus that's voting liberally each voting season. As for environmentalism, I'd say that everyone is environmentally conscious in some ways. Some students choose not to recycle once they move off campus, but during the 2 years required on-campus living, students tend to pick up on the environmental ethos behind, say, weekly recycling pick up in the dorms and the special faucets that we have that regulate water output. Students are at the very least informed on environmental issues, so it's no surprise that a majority (though certainly not all) choose to do little things like recylcing their cans, getting a re-useable water bottle, and printing double-sided.

For the most part. There are places to party everynight of the week and i have some friends who do. The parties are usually awesome with everything you would expect from a college party, so that stereotype is false. There are some nerdy kids here, but i would say for the most part that kids are less nerdy and more that they are just plain smart. There are a decent amount of closet nerdy kids. People here are extremely outdoorsy and it seems that almost everyone is very athletic and probably plays a varsity sport or did in high school.

To some extent these stereotypes are accurate, but Whitman has a very diverse student body. While many students are socially, politically, and environmentally conscience, that is not all that we are. We are first and foremost liberal arts students - interested in and dedicated to learning. We also have lots of fun. From your typical college party to a trip with the outdoor program to a cello choir concert, Whitties enjoy many different activities.

If you just look at the surface you may think so, but Whitman students are very dynamic and very involved. It is incredible how involved the average Whittie is in the community and on campus. Sure, most of us are tree-huggers, but we are also much more than that. And Whitman is making a genuine effort at drawing in students with diverse backgrounds.

Sometimes. I fit three of those, being a fairly intelligent, quixotic, Euro-mutt Caucasian. Generally though, I feel like people that talk about Whitman are a little unfair about the richness and lack of diversity. Oh! And we're known for being nice, too! That one's completely true. I've never met a more courteous, kind collection of people.

To be honest the campus is such a small place that stereotypes aren't really necessary. You know everyone too well to need to group people into those stereotypes. People are so talented and diverse at Whitman that once you get to know them you can't put them in such uncomplicated boxes.

No--while there are some people at Whitman who are really outdoorsy and never put on a pair of shoes, there is a wide range of people who attend the college. There are plenty of people who attend who have never been camping a night in their life!

The stereotypes are definitely true of a lot of people, but Whitman students also come from a variety of backgrounds and outlooks on life, and most are eager to pop the "Whitman Bubble" whenever possible

We tend to be nerdy and liberally leaning, but the outdoors stereotype can be misleading. There are tons of things to do outdoors, but you don't need to be a seasoned camper to fit in.