Whitman College

« See more reviews of Whitman College

A lot Whitman students do fit that description, but Whitman students surprise me everyday with their diverse passions, extracurricular interests, and academic talents.

To some degree yes, but not for the most part. There is a larger degree of diversity (perhaps not ethnic/racial) at Whitman than the statistics suggest.

I'd most of the stereotypes were fairly accurate, although I encountered more diversity on campus than I'd expected.

Yes they are, and they are also working on expanding diversity which is pretty great!

For the most part, although the college is attempting to include more diversity.

All stereotypes hold some truth. At Whitman, yes, the students are fairly academically involved (as they should be, considering that Whitman classes can be pretty rigorous). However, the students also manage to find a balance and partake in extracurriculars, sports (whether it's varsity, intramural, or theatre -- I'm serious about that last one), and other various events and activities around campus. We don't JUST spend all day hitting ourselves with textbooks. As for the "super rich" stereotype: Whitman is pretty up there on the range of pricey schools. That being said, the school does a really good job of offering financial aid to those who qualify, as well as scholarships. And not everyone is "super rich" at Whitman; members of the student body come from all socio-economic backgrounds. Further, if you're having problems with money or anything, there are so many staff members who would be willing to sit down and look at financial options with you. People at Whitman WANT you to be there, so they'll help you if you need it. And lastly, the stereotype that we're dread-rockin', frisbee-tossin' barefoot hippie children running all over the place. Okay, so yes, a few members of our student body rock the dreadlocks (in the most awesome way possible), and yes frisbee is a HUGE deal at Whitman (I was once told that I would learn 1000 useless things at Whitman, and 900 would be frisbee tosses). And, okay, I myself have been known to wander around campus sans shoes. If none of this appeals to you, consider this: Whitman campus is INCREDIBLY environmentally friendly. Take our science building, for example. The newest section of the science building utilizes wood from the trees that were cut down in order to build it, employs more windows to let natural light in rather than use electricity, and it's heated naturally (as are the series of creeks and ponds that run through the campus). So yeah, we might be sort of granola, but it's definitely to everyone's advantage.

Not everyone is a crazy liberal, but I would say we're fairly liberal as a whole. At the very least, everyone is accepting. And yes, everybody is a nerd. I'm a music and anthropology nerd, some of my best friends are astronomy and chemistry nerds, and we all get along. Everybody is so interesting and intelligent! Also, when you hear about Whitman's high standards, they're being bashful; everybody works extremely hard, but every class is worth it.

Pretty much yes: for the most part we like school and have our educations as a top priority. We can be a little spacey and tend to be silly.

Yes, to an extent.