Whitman College Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Kayvon

It's really hard to put a stereotype on Whitman Students. We got tons of people that LOVE to be outdoors, love hiking, skiing, camping, kayaking..etc. But I'm not too outdoorsy, if the only type of people we had at Whitman were outdoor kids I would feel really left out. But luckily, we got lots of people that are interested in other things like student government, politics, science, theater, comedy..etc. But there aren't any clicks at Whitman. The outdoorsy kids hang out with the theater kids, the people in Greek life hang out with the people in who do dance, the Student Government kids are biology majors..etc. And often, members of one group are members of another group. People at Whitman are accepting and friendly and are genuinely interested in each other's interests and welcome trying new experiences! Finally, everybody at Whitman is driven to achieve excellence academically. However, it isn't a cut throat school where students want each other to fail, rather they want each other to succeed and go out of their way to help their peers succeed. It's great. But students at whitman are driven to be successful in everything they do outside of their academics as well. Be it student government, their work, their volunteering, to achieve the goals of whatever club or organization they are part of..etc. I've never been surrounded by so many type-a people who are friendly, accepting, interesting, and work together in such a coherent manner to make the institution they are part of an amazing place.

Kayvon

Kayvon

ray

Outdoorsy, granola types. Serious about school.

Alejandro

Outdoorsey, Intellectual, Friendly, AWESOME!!

I've heard Whitties described as crazy liberals, nerds, and busy beavers.

nerdy, don't party a lot, very outdoorsy, athletic.

That everyone is outdoorsy and hippie. No one dates. Everyone hates CORE (the required freshman course)...which is actually now being called Encounters... for some odd reason.

Kai

A lot of people think that Whitman kids are super studious, super rich granola-hippie kids in Walla Walla. Also sometimes people confuse Whitman with one of the several religiously affiliated schools in the greater surrounding area.

Carson

We are rich, white, North Face wearing, idealistic outdoorsy types. Smart ones.

will

Everyone is an affluent, white, hippie from the suburbs somewhere in the Northwest.

Well Whitman students generally get labeled as outdoorsy and friendly people who error on the side of being ridiculously liberal.

Environmental, frisbee-loving, nerdy, hippies

hippies liberal living in a bubble

That we're little ADD and very accademically focussed, perhaps young for our ages, but love school. That we live in a bubble. Oh- and we have trouble with crossing the street.

grace

Whitman students are stereotypically "crunchy" -- hippie-esque, environmentally conscious, outdoorsy, etc. They are also generally friendly, genuine and world aware people. Unfortunately, Whitman students are also stereotypically white, upper-middle class and from the west coast.

Mandy

The biggest Whitman stereotypes are that everyone is super hippie and outdoorsy--and that everyone walks around barefoot.

There's a stereotype that Whitman students are all VERY environmentally conscious and that everyone's liberal.

Nerdy, liberal, outdoorsy

Whitman students are, in three words, reduced to "white, upper-class hippies."

They are white, liberal, upper class and are environmentalist and like the outdoors. They are also smart, motivated, and hard working.

Whitman students are often seen as nerdy and outdoorsy. They are environmentally friendly and tend to be labeled hippies.