Whitman College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Whitman College

Isabella

Whitman is extremely idealistic. Yes, the class sizes might be small, but I enjoyed every part of it. The great thing about the community - well there are so may - small class sizes, familiarity with everyone, The only downside is that there's not much to do (you're in the middle of no where). If you decide to attend, I promise you'll have memories that lat for the rest of your life.

Whitman College is a small, quaint campus in the city of Walla Walla. If you are looking for a smaller community with the political, cultural, and environmental diversity of a larger community, Whitman College fits those requirements perfectly. The students have close relationships with each other, staff, and professors. All have unique and intellectual discussions inside and outside of the classroom. The campus itself is an optimal balance of architecture and foliage; the ratio of trees to students is 5:1. The dorm rooms are a bit small, but the amount of extracurricular activities and the rigor of coursework mean that you will only need that room to sleep or study, if that. Overall, Whitman College has high standards of natural beauty, intellect, and diversity for the student who has a passion to learn and go beyond their limits.

Extremely rigorous science program. Other disciplines not as difficult. Good community, people are extremely kind and helpful. Academic competition between students is extremely healthy; everyone pushes each other to do better, but students aren't pitted against each other. Professors are usually very accessible. Students typically live on campus for the first two years and then move off campus. On campus is very safe, but off campus can be a little dicey, particularly if you're not white. But campus security is incredibly helpful and will walk you home whenever you need! Overall, a fairly safe school, an incredibly difficult science curriculum, but a well-established support system!

Anissia

Whitman College is a wonderful place for any individual who wants to learn and grow not only in the classroom but in the real world as well. Being that Whitman is a liberal arts school, the college provides a diverse field of various majors that interest all students. The staff, faculty, and students all play a vital role in making Whitman the successful school that it is and that's what makes Whitman a great college to attend.

Franziska

I really appreciate everything they do to prevent sexual assault on campus. I feel very safe on weekends and at parties. The community can be pretty competitive at times. Overall Whitman has definitely helped me to see many issues within any community and how we can work together to help others and learn from them. Because it's such a small campus , the library is nice because it's easy to find someone who is in your class to study with. Everyone is very friendly and open and it's a great learning environment. Though Whitman has it's problems, like every school does, it is still a wonderful school that I have grown to consider home.

Madeline

As a senior in high school, people told me college would be the best time of my life. I assumed they were hyperbolizing, over-inflating, and, honestly, just plain condescending. It turns out they were right. Whitman College was perfect for me. I was challenged academically, socially, and physically. We read the foundational classics of Western society - Kant, Descartes, Homer, and Shakespeare. We also read and discussed more alternative yet equally important works like Toni Morrison's Beloved, the graphic novel Maus, and the film Battle of Algiers. Classrooms were dynamic, with professors and students engaging each other in difficult material. Those discussions poured over into the dining halls, dorm rooms, and the gorgeous 24 hour library. Whitman was an intellectual paradise. That said, I loved that Whitties were not just about the books. I was heavily active in the theater department, and my best friend was on the basketball team that went to Nationals. Every student was involved in something: arts, sports, outdoors, volunteer work, governing, social planning. Whitties are passionate people, and passionate people are fascinating to be around. Before I wrap up this perhaps overly sappy review, I have to mention Whitman's beautiful campus. Doing homework is a pleasure when you are surrounded by trees, a babbling brook, and your best friends. I would go back in a heart beat.

Madison

Whitman College is the perfect small town home to acquire a top-notch education. Small class sizes and very accessible professors make the challenging course able to accomplish. The student body is passionate about conservation, ethical practices and the fair treatment of everyone.

Tessa

I visited my HS best friend at Whitman for a week last semester. While the campus is beautiful, I felt completely out of place. My best friend is white...I am not. We are both come from mid-upper class families. For the 12 years we’ve been friends, skin color was never an issue. Now I am her ‘black friend’ and all her friends want me to be their token black friend. It was nauseating. Whitman is predominantly wealthy white folks with a very narrow liberal mindset. My political views vary but I am fairly conservative. These people only consume information that suits their confirmation bias and they are not as informed as they think they are. Can I afford to go to school here? Yes. Would I? No. My advice: find a school that is naturally diverse. A school that embraces free speech and open debate. Sadly Whitman is an echo chamber for rich, white liberals who have no idea what it’s like in the real world.

Caroline

Whitman is a very "out-doorsy" college. Students are always planning weekend trips for hiking, skiing, snowboarding, kayaking, etc. The Greek culture on campus is not as overwhelming as many schools, as the fraternities and sororities are fairly laid back. The size of the student body is ideal at 1500 students, because professors are almost always available for one-on-one with students. While the academics on campus are outstanding, there is a severe lack of diversity which the administration says they would like to remedy.