Spokane, WA
Whitworth University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Whitworth University

Shariana

I think Whitworth University is an all around welcoming and inclusive place that anyone can be a part of. Though some may be frustrated about it being a christian school, that does not mean that it is a closed minded christian school. Whitworth is a great blend of all walks of life and it is an enjoyable experience to be a part of.

Sabin

Whitworth is great college, with rigorous academics and welcoming community. Academic environment here is good and professors are supportive and approachable. Financial Aid is good although room and board is expensive. We have strong alumni support and have great career service center.

Christian

Whitworth is a great school for those looking for a small, yet busy campus. There are a lot of extracurricular activities available, especially in the arts and music. Whitworth offers a variety of majors and minors, but being a liberal arts college, many of them are Bachelors of Arts.

Natalie

I absolutely love it here, the people are so nice and loving. They don't push faith and God on you but you are welcomed to participate in any activity you choose. The professors really want to know you and teach to the way you learn. It's amazing! The campus size and class sizes are perfect. The academics are challenging but that is why so many of the graduates get accepted into grad school.

Denise

Whitworth University has a close community that is very united in anything that they do. The campus is beautiful to walk on and enjoy the company of others. Making relationships is that are lasting friendships are easy to make at Whitworth University. People are friendly with one another and like to do events as a group.

Brendan

Whitworth is an amazing institution. Here in Spokane it does have a reputation as being mildly conservative and "too Christian"; in truth it is neither. It promotes all aspects of life, gender fluidity/neutrality, and is incredibly challenging to it's students. The professors are inspiring, librarians always available, and the content is breathtaking. The campus alone is incredibly vast, however easy to get around. The admissions department too are champions for the students. This is easily one of the best and overlooked institutions in Washington state, let alone this country.

Moregan

Highly active, highly motivated, and always willing to learn and share their experience.

The advise I would give to myself would be to apply to more scholarships while I had the chance; school is not cheap. I would also tell myself that studying isn't an option but a necessity.

The best thing about Whitworth is the community and it's drive for equality, learning, and green living.

Heather

Make friends and maintain them through all four years; you will need their support and friendship through the four years and beyond because they were there with you from the beginning of what can be a difficult time away from familiar surroundings, family, close friends and much more.

I believe that anyone could attend this school, however if you are a student of Ivy league material I would not recommend you choose this school because they are currently working on the Honors Program and are still developing more classes within the program. In addition, there is a limited amount of diversity on school campus; it is primarily comprised of wealthy white students, so sometimes people who do not come from those backgrounds tend to feel left out or picked on for lack of a better phrase.

I brag about the community and how welcome I felt when I was looking at the school as well as the professors and their passion to teach what they do.

Alexa

It creates an enviorment helps me improve my mind and heart.

It creates an enviorment helps me improve my mind and heart.

I would tell the past me that I shouldn't be nervous and even though it is out of my comfort zone I need to make sure to put myself out there.

There is not much cultural diversity at Whitworth.

Sierra

I absolutely love this school! The atmosphere is just amazing (often referred to as narnia in the wintertime) and there is ALWAYS something going on on campus.

Upper middle class; predominantly white; faux hipster; nerdy; religious.

Whitworth University is a great place to be. I would definitely recommend checking it out and seeing if it's right for you! That isn't to say it's perfect for everyone. If you aren't into smaller schools with an emphasis on community, Whitworth might not be the place for you.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

This year, the student government chose to focus its energies on something called the Unite movement. It's a program that connects students against sex-trafficking.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Probaby the Core classes. Core 150, 250, and 350 are all required for graduation no matter what your major is. They have the largest amount of students with lecture halls averaging 150-200 students in each and then splitting into smaller groups for discussion.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

The social scene at Whitworth is basically very open. People go to primetimes and hangout in the common areas to meet people. Everyone is pretty friendly and willing to talk to other people. Athletic teams can get a little cliquey.

Buy a minifridge. You'll use it, trust me.

What's the Greek scene like?

There isn't one. Whitworth is a non-Greek school. No frats or sororities on campus. We go to WSU for that.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

It depends on whether the internet is working in your dorm room. If it is, then I usually stay there to study, but each dorm also has multiple study lounges and quiet rooms. The library is open til midnight, and the computer labs are til 1am. I usually study in the coffee shop because I love the couches in there, but it can be bit louder, so it's a good idea to bring earphones.

All over campus at any given time (even in the middle of the night) you'll see students playing Frolf (frisbee golf) and throwing frisbees at the the sides of buildings.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Right off campus you see suburban housing. A little further off you see shopping centers with places like Target, Olive Garden, Office Max, etc.

Buy a calendar and a planner, and stick to it! Oh, and buying a printer helps too.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Time management. Hands down, this is the most difficult thing I've been faced with thus far. Whereas in high school you did the majority of your work in class and what was left over ended up being homework, college is precisely the opposite. The bulk of the work you do in college is done outside of class with class lectures or discussions taking place over the course a a short single period (for every class 50 minute class you have, expect to do about 3hrs of work on your own time).

What do people really wear to class?

Not gonna lie, it's a bit dressier than what I had anticipated. Most students try to look, at very least, like they tried to put something together that matched. Most girls accessorize, even when wearing sweats, but in the 8AM's you'll see students that looked like they rolled out of bed and threw on a sweater.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

No. That is one aspect of partying here that I was surprised to realize. Sometimes, people really do just go to socialize. They don't always drink. It also happens that at most of the parties you're forced to pay for any drinks you may want, and not everyone has the cash to do that...so sometimes people CAN'T drink.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

I think when you first get to a new place on your own for the first time, you have the right to be a bit of a baby about it and call your parents once a day. As the semester goes on though, you'll likely start to build relationships with the people around you and lose that need to be in constant contact. (I still call at least twice a week though).

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I don't think I've changed much at all. I'm still the same person I was before I got to Whitworth, if anything, being here has made me broaden my perspectives on certain things more than I had anticipated. And I shop at thrift stores now (thank you very much tuition...$$$).

What's the dating scene like?

Whitworth is known for its match making skills. No, I don't mean random hookups and the typical different guy/girl every week thing that is done at most colleges. For the most part, when students enter a relationship it ends up being pretty long term...like, life-long. Ring by Spring anyone?!

What do students complain about most?

Probably the food. Saga just had a new addition added (so I hear that this year is actually an improvement from previous years) but the food can get repetitive. There are still a decent amount of options, but they are mainly variations of the same general ingredients.

Describe a typical weekend.

The campus tends to be less crowded on weekends. Some students go home or visit off campus friends and relatives. Those who stay also have activities available to them. There is usually some sort of big event going on Friday and Saturday nights (a concert, dance, etc.). Some students party at the housing close to campus. This last weekend we played flashlight tag til 2AM in the back 40 and watched movies. It varies for different types of students, but for the most part there is usually something going on that will suit your interest, and if not, you can always make your own fun....people will definitely join in.

In the Fall and Spring the campus is filled with bright green grass, bright flowers, and colorful trees....in Winter the campus is known as Narnia. Enough said. ;)

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Ehh...the food is alright. We have a decent number of options on any given day, but they can be hit or miss. Usually you can find something appealing, and if the cafeteria isn't looking appetizing (ahem, Sundays) there are always the cafe or coffee shop as alternate options.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports are Division III at Whitworth, so they aren't as big as any D1 school, but Whitworth students still go all out at football and Basketball games and shout '" 'S GO BUCS!!!" all around campus...

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Honestly, I applied to Whitworth on a whim because it had a free application. After getting my acceptance and financial aid package, I decided it was worth taking a look at. After visiting the campus and experiencing the people and atmosphere of the university, I knew it was the one for me! :)

Tell us about your professors.

The professors at Whitworth are awesome! They really care about the students and even go so far as to invite students out for luch or to their homes for BBQ's. Most have doctoral degrees and are well-informed in their field. Although professors do have to have to declare their Christian faith, they are still very open and willing to look at things from a number of viewpoints.

What are your classes like?

Classes are small and intimate. Professors are extremely helpful and always willing to make time for students (even outside of office hours).

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Whitworth is the perfect combination of low-key small school feel and larger school activity options. The people are kind, considerate, and friendly (you even get doors held for you everywhere you go), and the overall atmosphere can only be described as coffee shop meets summer camp. The classes are small enough that students go to coffee with their professors, and the profs themselves are incredibly knowledgeable and active in their fields. The campus is beautiful and well kept with trees surrounding the campus and creating what we Whitworthians call the "pinecone curtain" (just don't forget to look into the outside world every once in awhile). Overall, an amazing place with awesome opportunities! :)

Traditiation for the win!!!! Traditiation is basically the multitude of events that go on the for the first week of a students freshmen (or first year for transfers) at Whitworth. Events consist of everything from being led by your dormmates blindfolded across campus to Yell Off (a chant and yelling competition between dorms) and wooing (where guys from different dorms sing songs to the ladies of each dorm). Basically, the entire week felt like an amped up version of summer camp!

The most popular activities are probably Primetimes. Primetimes are put on every night in each dorm's lounge and feature anything from glow in the dark frisbee and scavenger hunts to Yoga and P90X. Sporting events are pretty big, and parties are usually only off campus...at least the ones that involve illicit substances.

I'd say that the stereotype for Whitworth students is that we are very conservative/religious and into academics. I've also heard some students from other schools label us as 'white rich kids' and 'non-partyers'.

Whitworth University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.