Spokane, WA
Whitworth University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Whitworth University

Victoria

My classmates are generally white. There is about 75% white and 25% people of color. when I talk about racism or disparaties for people of color in class, white students get very upset. They don't want to hear about how racism damages us all until we begin to have discussions about it. Changing systems should be incorporated into every university and institution and Whitworth University Spokane is very progressive in that they create a safe zone where we can talk about disproportionality in educational outcomes and why that is occurring (racism). As a Native American, I get fully share.

Our high school was full of racism (anti-indianism really) due to being near our reservation. This creates an illusion that a good education is beyond our realm. We are not good enough as Native Americans, is the conditioning that we put through. I would tell my self that breaking down racism is possible and a great education is possible for us and we don't have to listen any longer to the negative stereotyping that has been imposed upon us. We are smart, loving and vital in spirit and we deserve the great education. I was told in high school that I could make a great secretary, but no one ever told me that I would make a great counselor or psychologist. Today, I know that I have been a great chemical dependency counselor (for 3 years!) and that I will make an even greater counselor or psychologist once I complete my education at Whitworth University. My brother is so proud that I am at Whitworth because their reputation is that they are the best place to get social work and/or counseling degrees. I feel that!

We need more schools like Whitworth University that have people of color who lead the march to end racism and racist actions on campus so that we can all feel vital and we can all feel important. In Undoing Racism we are about changing institutions so that it is more inclusive, not only about us, but about our rich cultures and traditions being incorporated into institutional practices, which is what schools like Whitworth University are about. They walk the walk. They don't just TALK about change. They are about the change that creates fully inclusion. Love education now.

Tashima

"He who fails to PLAN, PLANS to fail." Words said by my freshmen year reading teacher, and if I wasn’t laughing and talking to friends when he said this maybe I would have paid some attention to them. If I could tell myself anything it would be to take heed to those words. To many of us young people don't have a PLAN for our future and don't take into consideration how important it is to make one. I have learned my lesson being 21 years of age, with a 2year baby girl, still living at home with my parents, and no income. I have to say life without a PLAN hit me hard! I look back at that day in school goofing off and think where was my PLAN. I believe that I have matured a lot since then, so I guess u can say time shows you the truth about life.

Yana

If i was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would love to give myself one advice; apply to as many colleges as i can. It would have been the best advice to take for me then because i would have seen what schools i was qualified for and what schools i wasnt to make sure i dont lower my standards to some college that would just be a waste of time. Another suggestion i would give my self is to actually enjoy my last year of high school to not stress so much the big stuff because its still going to work out in the end. There are many issues and circumstances that arrise in senior year. Any case, those to where my two biggest concerns. College life is a lot more different then high school, you have more time for studies, work, friends, etc , but back in high school it seemed very scary, new, and different from what were used too. So i would have loved to know then what i know now; to not stress, take chances, work hard, but still rememeber that im still a kid.

Anika

Make the choice of where to go to college for yourself. Do not let friends, or especially family try to pursuade you to where they want you to attend. I would also suggest not to make the choice where to study on what acedemic programs they offer, because chances are you will change your mind a few times of what you want to study. It is better to choose a place where you know you will be happy and thrive, this will make the study portion of college come much easier. Living in the dorm the first year is the best advice I could give anyone. Here you are with other freshmen every hour of the day who are going through the same transitions as you. The support system created in the dorm will get you through anything that may happen your first year. All the bumps in the road will be just fine and taken care of. Do not worry so much about your future, remain in the present and focuse on doing will in classes, college is truly the best time of your life.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of diversity. I hope that in the future a more diverse student body would develop. Since it is a religious based university there is a large percentage of students who fit the wealthy, white, conservative group. There are programs to become aware of these issues. Whitworth has tried doing diversity scholarship programs to get other ethnic and social class students to whitworth. This is a good effort to see and I hope we see more of it.

Kallee

Whitworth is best known for the community that it provides as well as it's wonderful education program. Also, graduates from Whitworth hardly ever have a tough time receiving a job after they graduate.

I would tell myself to not have expectations for what college is going to be like. I would tell myself this because you never know what your experience is going to be like because you could have experiences that are amazing but do not seem great because they are totally different than what you were expecting. Also, I would tell myself that it is amazing to be on your own and to have the freedom of responsibility! Furthermore, I would tell myself to not be afraid to make a fool of myself, I need to be outgoing and not afraid to meet new people! Also, I just need to be patient about finding a good group of friends and to not become discouraged because I have not found a good friend or friends the first semester! But overall, I would say to get involved and to just have fun! Also, keep focusing on your academics like the way you have been and you will do just fine!

Any type of person can attend Whitworth. Although it is a Christian school, there is something for everyone here! I have met many non-Christians here who enjoy Whitworth. The classes are small and the professors know you by name and the community is amazing! So, if you want a great education, personal relationships, and to feel like you are a part of your campus where everyone knows you, then you should come to Whitworth!

Lindsay

Walking the narrow ridge between Christian university and allowing students to explore ideas and questions in a safe and encouraging community.

Dear high school senior, Your parents know a lot more than you give them credit for. Listen to their advice about chosing a college, and give it serious consideration. They know you, have lived life longer, and love you - what they say might be in your best interest. Also, just because you had a dream college doesn't mean you are a failure if you choose another one. Sometimes the perceptions that are given to a school at a younger age aren't really everything you will need to grow into the person you will be. Don't be too excited to move across the country from your family. It may seem like a fun and thrilling adventure to move a thousand miles away from home, but when everyone else goes home for a short break, it won't be fun to be left at school alone. Lastly, realize that you won't always be best friends with everyone in high school. Determine the friends who are worth keeping, and be okay with losing a few, you'll make more in college. Love, College Freshman PS. Don't feel silly when you are homesick, other people will miss home too.

Someone who loves to be outdoors and doesn't mind the cold. The majority of the student body is extremely social and focuses more on friendships than school work. The workload is challenging for students who are not motivated, but students who have a good work ethic in high school and bring it to college with them will succeed at Whitworth. It isn't the typical "Christian" college. Students who want to be allowed to ask tough questions without being shot down are welcome on this campus. Also, someone who loves to say hello to everyone.

diana

After high school I was still very undecisive as far as what college/university I wanted to attend. When my parents moved to a different state I decided to live on my own with my brother and go to the local community college. At that time I was 18 and didnt know what I was in for as far as school and life in general. My college experience at first was wierd. It felt odd not having to start at a certain time and end my usual school days by 3:30. But the best part is the indepedence one has. My career became a something to think about as I sat through long classes thinking, "Is this really worth it"? Let me tell you something...IT IS! sel-motivation has driven me to where I am now and Im still looking forward everyday to go to school. :)

There is an extremely close and tight-knit campus community. I feel like I belong to a big family. The campus is quite "faith-based", but different ways of thinking are welcomed.

Everyone proclaims change in one way or another when they go to college, but how many people grow. College students gain friendships, knowledge, and pant sizes, but what do they gain as a human being? Fortunately, I have not grown too much physically, but as far as the intellectual and spiritual aspects are concerned, I have extended and branched in directions that a year ago, I never would have fathomed. The eighteen years of my past include my life as a seed, the break through the groundings and comforts of home, and even the development of my first leaves as I matured and started to think on my own. I did not truly grow until I stepped on to the campus of Whitworth University. The energetic and supportive community provided the correct atmosphere for me to extend my branches and reach beyond what I am used to. The invested and devoted professors hydrate my mind and encourage me find and stretch my roots. I have a better understand of what I believe, what I know, and even a greater understand of what I have yet to learn. Thanks to Whitworth I am stronger, more intelligent, and ultimately a healthier person.

Which dorm to live in. There is a dorm that is reserved just for freshman and it is a blast to live in. I live across campus, but I still spend a lot of time there... so I guess it doesn't matter.

Tatiana

Whitworth University is a warm, welcoming college that provides many useful opportunities and entertaining activities for its students.

So far, my college experience has been everything and more than I imagined it to be. Being part of a welcoming environment has made me more comfortable to explore my options for my future. I came into college thinking I knew what I wanted. But after just a couple months I have learned so much more about myself, developed other abilities that I didn't know I had. College has deemed itself valuable because I have discovered abilities, ideas, career options that I never would have if I wasn't a part of the Whitworth community. Determining who I am as a person, employee, and a christian is what I have been striving to achieve ever since I walked onto this campus. Although I still have a long way to go, I have already taken some large steps in that direction and plan to continue to do so.

The best thing about Whitworth University is its ability to committ to christianity but at the same time be open to new ideas outside of religion. I have found that Whitworth is accepting of people and ideas that may differ from the norm. This however, is necessary because there are so many different ideas in society today that it is important for each and every one of them be accepted. Whitworth does a wonderful job of doing just that.

Mary

I am a returning student after being in the workforce for many years. I have found Edison State College to be a wonderful place with many opportunities to learn new things and meet new people. You are never to old to learn something new and be a contruibution to your community. I feel that every day is a new day to learn new things and expand on what life experiences you have had and will have in the future.

Whitworth University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.