Spokane, WA
Whitworth University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Whitworth University

Heather

Make friends and maintain them through all four years; you will need their support and friendship through the four years and beyond because they were there with you from the beginning of what can be a difficult time away from familiar surroundings, family, close friends and much more.

I believe that anyone could attend this school, however if you are a student of Ivy league material I would not recommend you choose this school because they are currently working on the Honors Program and are still developing more classes within the program. In addition, there is a limited amount of diversity on school campus; it is primarily comprised of wealthy white students, so sometimes people who do not come from those backgrounds tend to feel left out or picked on for lack of a better phrase.

I brag about the community and how welcome I felt when I was looking at the school as well as the professors and their passion to teach what they do.

Alexa

It creates an enviorment helps me improve my mind and heart.

It creates an enviorment helps me improve my mind and heart.

I would tell the past me that I shouldn't be nervous and even though it is out of my comfort zone I need to make sure to put myself out there.

There is not much cultural diversity at Whitworth.

Sierra

I absolutely love this school! The atmosphere is just amazing (often referred to as narnia in the wintertime) and there is ALWAYS something going on on campus.

Upper middle class; predominantly white; faux hipster; nerdy; religious.

Whitworth University is a great place to be. I would definitely recommend checking it out and seeing if it's right for you! That isn't to say it's perfect for everyone. If you aren't into smaller schools with an emphasis on community, Whitworth might not be the place for you.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

This year, the student government chose to focus its energies on something called the Unite movement. It's a program that connects students against sex-trafficking.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Probaby the Core classes. Core 150, 250, and 350 are all required for graduation no matter what your major is. They have the largest amount of students with lecture halls averaging 150-200 students in each and then splitting into smaller groups for discussion.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

The social scene at Whitworth is basically very open. People go to primetimes and hangout in the common areas to meet people. Everyone is pretty friendly and willing to talk to other people. Athletic teams can get a little cliquey.

Buy a minifridge. You'll use it, trust me.

What's the Greek scene like?

There isn't one. Whitworth is a non-Greek school. No frats or sororities on campus. We go to WSU for that.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

It depends on whether the internet is working in your dorm room. If it is, then I usually stay there to study, but each dorm also has multiple study lounges and quiet rooms. The library is open til midnight, and the computer labs are til 1am. I usually study in the coffee shop because I love the couches in there, but it can be bit louder, so it's a good idea to bring earphones.

All over campus at any given time (even in the middle of the night) you'll see students playing Frolf (frisbee golf) and throwing frisbees at the the sides of buildings.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Right off campus you see suburban housing. A little further off you see shopping centers with places like Target, Olive Garden, Office Max, etc.

Buy a calendar and a planner, and stick to it! Oh, and buying a printer helps too.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Time management. Hands down, this is the most difficult thing I've been faced with thus far. Whereas in high school you did the majority of your work in class and what was left over ended up being homework, college is precisely the opposite. The bulk of the work you do in college is done outside of class with class lectures or discussions taking place over the course a a short single period (for every class 50 minute class you have, expect to do about 3hrs of work on your own time).

What do people really wear to class?

Not gonna lie, it's a bit dressier than what I had anticipated. Most students try to look, at very least, like they tried to put something together that matched. Most girls accessorize, even when wearing sweats, but in the 8AM's you'll see students that looked like they rolled out of bed and threw on a sweater.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

No. That is one aspect of partying here that I was surprised to realize. Sometimes, people really do just go to socialize. They don't always drink. It also happens that at most of the parties you're forced to pay for any drinks you may want, and not everyone has the cash to do that...so sometimes people CAN'T drink.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

I think when you first get to a new place on your own for the first time, you have the right to be a bit of a baby about it and call your parents once a day. As the semester goes on though, you'll likely start to build relationships with the people around you and lose that need to be in constant contact. (I still call at least twice a week though).

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I don't think I've changed much at all. I'm still the same person I was before I got to Whitworth, if anything, being here has made me broaden my perspectives on certain things more than I had anticipated. And I shop at thrift stores now (thank you very much tuition...$$$).

What's the dating scene like?

Whitworth is known for its match making skills. No, I don't mean random hookups and the typical different guy/girl every week thing that is done at most colleges. For the most part, when students enter a relationship it ends up being pretty long term...like, life-long. Ring by Spring anyone?!

What do students complain about most?

Probably the food. Saga just had a new addition added (so I hear that this year is actually an improvement from previous years) but the food can get repetitive. There are still a decent amount of options, but they are mainly variations of the same general ingredients.

Describe a typical weekend.

The campus tends to be less crowded on weekends. Some students go home or visit off campus friends and relatives. Those who stay also have activities available to them. There is usually some sort of big event going on Friday and Saturday nights (a concert, dance, etc.). Some students party at the housing close to campus. This last weekend we played flashlight tag til 2AM in the back 40 and watched movies. It varies for different types of students, but for the most part there is usually something going on that will suit your interest, and if not, you can always make your own fun....people will definitely join in.

In the Fall and Spring the campus is filled with bright green grass, bright flowers, and colorful trees....in Winter the campus is known as Narnia. Enough said. ;)

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Ehh...the food is alright. We have a decent number of options on any given day, but they can be hit or miss. Usually you can find something appealing, and if the cafeteria isn't looking appetizing (ahem, Sundays) there are always the cafe or coffee shop as alternate options.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports are Division III at Whitworth, so they aren't as big as any D1 school, but Whitworth students still go all out at football and Basketball games and shout '" 'S GO BUCS!!!" all around campus...

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Honestly, I applied to Whitworth on a whim because it had a free application. After getting my acceptance and financial aid package, I decided it was worth taking a look at. After visiting the campus and experiencing the people and atmosphere of the university, I knew it was the one for me! :)

Tell us about your professors.

The professors at Whitworth are awesome! They really care about the students and even go so far as to invite students out for luch or to their homes for BBQ's. Most have doctoral degrees and are well-informed in their field. Although professors do have to have to declare their Christian faith, they are still very open and willing to look at things from a number of viewpoints.

What are your classes like?

Classes are small and intimate. Professors are extremely helpful and always willing to make time for students (even outside of office hours).

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Whitworth is the perfect combination of low-key small school feel and larger school activity options. The people are kind, considerate, and friendly (you even get doors held for you everywhere you go), and the overall atmosphere can only be described as coffee shop meets summer camp. The classes are small enough that students go to coffee with their professors, and the profs themselves are incredibly knowledgeable and active in their fields. The campus is beautiful and well kept with trees surrounding the campus and creating what we Whitworthians call the "pinecone curtain" (just don't forget to look into the outside world every once in awhile). Overall, an amazing place with awesome opportunities! :)

Traditiation for the win!!!! Traditiation is basically the multitude of events that go on the for the first week of a students freshmen (or first year for transfers) at Whitworth. Events consist of everything from being led by your dormmates blindfolded across campus to Yell Off (a chant and yelling competition between dorms) and wooing (where guys from different dorms sing songs to the ladies of each dorm). Basically, the entire week felt like an amped up version of summer camp!

The most popular activities are probably Primetimes. Primetimes are put on every night in each dorm's lounge and feature anything from glow in the dark frisbee and scavenger hunts to Yoga and P90X. Sporting events are pretty big, and parties are usually only off campus...at least the ones that involve illicit substances.

I'd say that the stereotype for Whitworth students is that we are very conservative/religious and into academics. I've also heard some students from other schools label us as 'white rich kids' and 'non-partyers'.

Victoria

My classmates are generally white. There is about 75% white and 25% people of color. when I talk about racism or disparaties for people of color in class, white students get very upset. They don't want to hear about how racism damages us all until we begin to have discussions about it. Changing systems should be incorporated into every university and institution and Whitworth University Spokane is very progressive in that they create a safe zone where we can talk about disproportionality in educational outcomes and why that is occurring (racism). As a Native American, I get fully share.

Our high school was full of racism (anti-indianism really) due to being near our reservation. This creates an illusion that a good education is beyond our realm. We are not good enough as Native Americans, is the conditioning that we put through. I would tell my self that breaking down racism is possible and a great education is possible for us and we don't have to listen any longer to the negative stereotyping that has been imposed upon us. We are smart, loving and vital in spirit and we deserve the great education. I was told in high school that I could make a great secretary, but no one ever told me that I would make a great counselor or psychologist. Today, I know that I have been a great chemical dependency counselor (for 3 years!) and that I will make an even greater counselor or psychologist once I complete my education at Whitworth University. My brother is so proud that I am at Whitworth because their reputation is that they are the best place to get social work and/or counseling degrees. I feel that!

We need more schools like Whitworth University that have people of color who lead the march to end racism and racist actions on campus so that we can all feel vital and we can all feel important. In Undoing Racism we are about changing institutions so that it is more inclusive, not only about us, but about our rich cultures and traditions being incorporated into institutional practices, which is what schools like Whitworth University are about. They walk the walk. They don't just TALK about change. They are about the change that creates fully inclusion. Love education now.

Tashima

"He who fails to PLAN, PLANS to fail." Words said by my freshmen year reading teacher, and if I wasn’t laughing and talking to friends when he said this maybe I would have paid some attention to them. If I could tell myself anything it would be to take heed to those words. To many of us young people don't have a PLAN for our future and don't take into consideration how important it is to make one. I have learned my lesson being 21 years of age, with a 2year baby girl, still living at home with my parents, and no income. I have to say life without a PLAN hit me hard! I look back at that day in school goofing off and think where was my PLAN. I believe that I have matured a lot since then, so I guess u can say time shows you the truth about life.

Yana

If i was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would love to give myself one advice; apply to as many colleges as i can. It would have been the best advice to take for me then because i would have seen what schools i was qualified for and what schools i wasnt to make sure i dont lower my standards to some college that would just be a waste of time. Another suggestion i would give my self is to actually enjoy my last year of high school to not stress so much the big stuff because its still going to work out in the end. There are many issues and circumstances that arrise in senior year. Any case, those to where my two biggest concerns. College life is a lot more different then high school, you have more time for studies, work, friends, etc , but back in high school it seemed very scary, new, and different from what were used too. So i would have loved to know then what i know now; to not stress, take chances, work hard, but still rememeber that im still a kid.

Anika

Make the choice of where to go to college for yourself. Do not let friends, or especially family try to pursuade you to where they want you to attend. I would also suggest not to make the choice where to study on what acedemic programs they offer, because chances are you will change your mind a few times of what you want to study. It is better to choose a place where you know you will be happy and thrive, this will make the study portion of college come much easier. Living in the dorm the first year is the best advice I could give anyone. Here you are with other freshmen every hour of the day who are going through the same transitions as you. The support system created in the dorm will get you through anything that may happen your first year. All the bumps in the road will be just fine and taken care of. Do not worry so much about your future, remain in the present and focuse on doing will in classes, college is truly the best time of your life.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of diversity. I hope that in the future a more diverse student body would develop. Since it is a religious based university there is a large percentage of students who fit the wealthy, white, conservative group. There are programs to become aware of these issues. Whitworth has tried doing diversity scholarship programs to get other ethnic and social class students to whitworth. This is a good effort to see and I hope we see more of it.

Kallee

Whitworth is best known for the community that it provides as well as it's wonderful education program. Also, graduates from Whitworth hardly ever have a tough time receiving a job after they graduate.

I would tell myself to not have expectations for what college is going to be like. I would tell myself this because you never know what your experience is going to be like because you could have experiences that are amazing but do not seem great because they are totally different than what you were expecting. Also, I would tell myself that it is amazing to be on your own and to have the freedom of responsibility! Furthermore, I would tell myself to not be afraid to make a fool of myself, I need to be outgoing and not afraid to meet new people! Also, I just need to be patient about finding a good group of friends and to not become discouraged because I have not found a good friend or friends the first semester! But overall, I would say to get involved and to just have fun! Also, keep focusing on your academics like the way you have been and you will do just fine!

Any type of person can attend Whitworth. Although it is a Christian school, there is something for everyone here! I have met many non-Christians here who enjoy Whitworth. The classes are small and the professors know you by name and the community is amazing! So, if you want a great education, personal relationships, and to feel like you are a part of your campus where everyone knows you, then you should come to Whitworth!

Lindsay

Walking the narrow ridge between Christian university and allowing students to explore ideas and questions in a safe and encouraging community.

Dear high school senior, Your parents know a lot more than you give them credit for. Listen to their advice about chosing a college, and give it serious consideration. They know you, have lived life longer, and love you - what they say might be in your best interest. Also, just because you had a dream college doesn't mean you are a failure if you choose another one. Sometimes the perceptions that are given to a school at a younger age aren't really everything you will need to grow into the person you will be. Don't be too excited to move across the country from your family. It may seem like a fun and thrilling adventure to move a thousand miles away from home, but when everyone else goes home for a short break, it won't be fun to be left at school alone. Lastly, realize that you won't always be best friends with everyone in high school. Determine the friends who are worth keeping, and be okay with losing a few, you'll make more in college. Love, College Freshman PS. Don't feel silly when you are homesick, other people will miss home too.

Someone who loves to be outdoors and doesn't mind the cold. The majority of the student body is extremely social and focuses more on friendships than school work. The workload is challenging for students who are not motivated, but students who have a good work ethic in high school and bring it to college with them will succeed at Whitworth. It isn't the typical "Christian" college. Students who want to be allowed to ask tough questions without being shot down are welcome on this campus. Also, someone who loves to say hello to everyone.

diana

After high school I was still very undecisive as far as what college/university I wanted to attend. When my parents moved to a different state I decided to live on my own with my brother and go to the local community college. At that time I was 18 and didnt know what I was in for as far as school and life in general. My college experience at first was wierd. It felt odd not having to start at a certain time and end my usual school days by 3:30. But the best part is the indepedence one has. My career became a something to think about as I sat through long classes thinking, "Is this really worth it"? Let me tell you something...IT IS! sel-motivation has driven me to where I am now and Im still looking forward everyday to go to school. :)

Whitworth University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.