Spokane, WA
Whitworth University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Whitworth University

Christine

I would give myself the advice that there is nothing to worry about. Even if you know no one going into it you will make friends that you will probably keep for a lifetime. I would also say that living in a college dorm room really isn't all that bad. You get used to the cramped space and just learn to deal with it. I would also say that you do totally have time to have social time and still get all your homework done.

The only thing I wish I had known before I came to this college is how friendly people are. I walk on the "Hello Walk" and people I have never met will just say Hi to me and it is really great. Everyone is just so friendly.

The most furstrating thing about my school is that sometimes the systems to get grades and classes are slow and they can close you out. This can especially make it frustrating when trying to sign up for classes!!

Dear High School Senior Kayla, You are such a strong person! You can make it through senior year! Just keep going. College is so much fun and there are infinite possibilities! You are going to double major in Elementary Education and Special Education. You love it, as you always have loved kids. The most difficult part about this transition was being far away from home. It is still a struggle because you are so close with your family, but you are doing great. Be encouraged! It has been really hard not having your support system close, but you have perservered and made it through with flying colors. Just remember to always smile, make tight bonds and friendships, take time away from studying, don't be anxious, keep with your healthy lifestyle. Make sure you always stick up for yourself and stay strong in your values. Never stop being the person you are, you are so able to learn from others, and teach too! Make sure you keep close with your friends at home, especially your best friend. She is so important in making the transition easier. Ultimately, just let go, and let God. :) LOVE, College Freshman Kayla

Overall, I really like Whitworth. The only thing that I didn't like was having to live in an overflow room for all of first semester.

Jun

There is a wide range of personalities on campus, from star athletes to pastors' kids to your every-day college student, so chances are you will meet a bunch of people with interests just like yours.

A couple of things stick out to me right away. First, be honest when you talk to your parents about where you want to go to college. Chances are, they will fund most of your expenses for at least a couple years, so they need to be on board with your decision. Additionally, they can give you some important things to consider when looking at schools, so listen to what they have to say. But ultimately, the choice is yours to make. You are going to be an adult out in the real world, so you need to step up and make the deicision yourself. Make sure you factor in more than just where your high school friends are going. Look into potential majors, the climate, the city, and the sports teams if you are an athlete. I know it's cliche, but most of all, go with your heart. You are going to be at this school for 4 years of your life, away from the shelter of your parents and the familiarity of your friends. Make it worthwhile, enjoy every one of the years you have in college, and just have the time of your life!

The campus is a bit small, the tuition is expensive (being a private school), and the weather is FREEZING cold.

Katherine

You don't need to worry about the 'right' school so much. You can make almost any school good for yourself. Give yourself a few options of schools that fit you, apply to those and then just let the choice come naturally.

There is a 'green' movement. There are also a lot of oppurtunities to serve in the community. The liberals who are here do some amazing work in the community and abroad!

It's conservative and kind of close-minded. It is also very white and rich.

Jason

Great academic reputation that encourages students to learn grow in mind and heart.

Do not worry, do not stress. College life is great and easy to make new, long lasting friends. The classes we take are not only meant to educate and prepare us for the outside world, but to allow us to grow more as a person, which is what really matters. Working hard in college is important, but stressing about it ahead of time is not good. Have fun, work hard, and the ending outcome will be whatever we want it to be.

How hard our classes are and that we have to work much harder in order to get better grades, thus preparing us to do better after college.

My classmates are engaging, and eager to learn.

My classmates are engaging, and eager to learn.

Make sure to visit the campus of as many colleges that you can, that you are interested in. while you visit make sure you talk to those who go there and ask aboutthe college, because that really helps. Even if you do not get to go to your first choice college it is important to make the best out of the college that you do go to. I like it here at Whitworth but I don't love it here, and I miss home a lot. I've discovered I could never live in Washington, and I am way too attached to California. I have also met my best friend here, and never would have met her if I hadn't chosen Whitworth. I know that college is not a life or death decision. it is a big decision but there are bigger ones out there. Choosing the right college is hard, but remember college is just another step to aid the beginning of your adult life.

I feel like Whitworth is a bubble, and a lot of the kids have not faced reall ife problems. The Christian aspect of the school probably has a lot to do with it. I feel like there is not enough diversity, and i'm not talking strictly about ethnic diversity.

Colin

I would tell parents and students that they need to visit the campus and walk around it, asking themselves, "Could I live here for four years?" Is the atmosphere on campus right for me? Finally, "What would financial aid be able to give me?" To make the most of the college experience doesn't mean doing every stupid thing possible while you are at school. It means that you make the most out of every opportunity to make yourself a better person so you can leave those years behind with out any regrets and have something to show for it.

The best thing about my school is the desire to ask questions without worrying immediately about the answer. This allows students to ask questions that are off the wall and strange, but are acknowledged and valued. I also love the BIg 3 rules on campus that allow students to make more decisions based upon their own moral standards.

Tha lack of people of other ethnicities, mainly african american. I would enjoy being able to interact in a more diverse environment since I believe the world is quite a diverse place.

Maariet

Visit the colleges you are interested in. As a student spend a weekend there without parents (a Friday-Monday night type of thing) that way you can see what the campus and student life is like on the weekends and also attend some classes Friday and Monday. It is so important to talk to current students and get their perspective on the school. For parents, trust your children with their opinion, but make sure you are encouraging and looking at the school yourself too. If money is the main reason stopping your child from attending the school they want talk to the financial aid counselors at the school; they really are helpful.

Maybe that some professors prefer to have class sizes around 15-25. Sometimes I feel like there is a high demand for classes (as is evident from the waitlist numbers) but professors are hesitent to make the class sizes larger because they want to provide more opportunity for in depth discussions.

That they don't accept more students. This is absoultely great school and I wish everyone who applied here and wanted to attend here could (whether the reason they can't is their financial situaiton or just not being accepted because of the large number of applicants).

Shaina

I would say the most important this is to start early in finding colleges so that you find a good fit. To make the most of your college experience do what you enjoy and get a good group of friends. I would say that in my experience I changed a lot in those years so it is always good to remember that you will not remain the same person you were as a freshman.

The professors are excellent and really care about their students progress, both academically and personally

Non-Christians and homosexuals should avoid this school. It is not to say that they are not on campus or are not needed but Whitworth is a difficult campus to live on if you are different in those ways.

Matthew

It is the right place to be for those searching for a homelike atmosphere with faculty and classes that encourages excellence and success.

Devoted to acedemics and social community within the University.

In the search for the perfect college, three things need to be addressed. First the ideal size for the student. Ponder on high school experiences and conclude whether a larger or smaller is best for you. Second location: you'll be living there for year, you need to at least have the abvility to tolerate it. Third thing to think about is your social habits. Find a school that offers sports, clubs, small groups and events that are you are interested in. These groups will help emerse you into the University atmosphere and help form the foundation for the rest of your college experience.

Whitworth University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.