Wichita, KS

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Reyna

Throughout my first year at Wichita State, I was coming to understand firsthand the incredible challenges of college. I was terrible at math and on the verge of failing, but there were so many resources like the Math Lab that include math tutors that saved me from that. When I needed help with various essays, the Writing Center told me everything that was great about my writing as well as the areas I needed to work on. Shocker Hall really makes people feel included in a community where it is impossible to not make friends. The GroundHouse was there when I needed to pull all nighters, as it is open until 2 AM. The professors will extend their office hours for you if you need it, and the academic advisors really make everything convenient. I almost didn't attend WSU, but now I'm glad I did.

Seth
Great Experience, Invaluable Lessons

Great Experience, Invaluable Lessons

Great school. The coursework and the teachers definitely prepared me for the world after college. The Alumni connections have been great as well!

Wichita State University

My experience at Wichita State University was wonderful. I majored in Secondary Math Education, and I felt very prepared to be a teacher when I graduated. WSU has a wonderful partnership with USD 259 and I was afforded many opportunities to be in the classroom working with students and teachers for two full school years. This experience was invaluable. My advisor and my professors were also excellent and incredibly supportive, and I felt that I could go to them for help whenever I needed it. Overall I had a wonderful experience at WSU and would highly recommend this university for anyone who is interested in majoring in education.

WSU

WSU

WSU is a good school. We have brand new dorms. The basketball team is great. The area that it is in is not very safe--keep your eyes peeled and I carry mace with me to class. I like most of my professors. We have a wide diversity in ages, but not really in race. It's mostly white people. If I could improve two things it would be safety and diversity.

Nathan
Meh

It's just meh...........I kinda wanted to die, i also felt like i was gonna get stabbed by a very shady man

Meh

Arsenio

The stereotype at Wichita State is that there is nothing to do at school or in the city, which is not true. The city of Wichita has a booming downtown where you can get great food and see a movie. We also have a imax theater where you can see a 3d movie and we have intrust bank arena where we had the acts like Taylor Swift, Trey Songz, and Lil Wayne preform. Wichita State also offers a number of amazing activities for students to do from golfing to working out and tons of great things to keep you going. So the stereotype that their is nothing to do in Wichita is not true. Wichita is what you make it and if you make it fun than you will have a blast being at Wichita State and living in my hometown of Wichita.

The academics at Wichita state are some of the best. The professors and faculty really make school fun and easy for you by making sure that the classroom are small. They also are flexible with your schedule so they offer morning afternoon and evening class so that everyone can get the education that they deserve.

Tony

Wichita State University is an outstanding college that offers lots of opportunites for their students and continues to shock the nation with incredible wil power.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would of told myself these following things. Life has not even begun yet. The college experiences I have experienced now does not even compare to the memories I had in highschool. The people who you meet in college will be the people who will stay in your life, you will meet your bestfriends there, you will make lifetime memories and it will probably be the best moments of your life. I would say to my high school self that being in large groups of volunteering outstandingly help you make the transition in college. It helps create a good resume and allows colleges to see the true potential in you. I would recommend my younger self to take part in many organizations in college, this will allow you to meet more people and benefit the college campus as a whole. This will create a much quicker responce to comfort. Most of all, I would tell myself that you shouldn't care what others think about you, this is your future, take it and do it proudly.

I find the most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of clear speaking schools that WSU has. Most of engineering professors are Indian, in all respect, they are wonderful teachers; but they are very hard to understand with their accents and makes it much difficult for me to learn.

Nathan

If I could go back in time and give my younger self some worldly advice I'd start off with a hard slap in the face. I'm sure that would get my attention and then my younger self would be horrified at the weight I have put on over the years. No words would need to be said for this to register, and though I'm not too much over weight it's just enough to get myself into an exercising mentality early on in the game. Once that harsh reality sank in I'd tell myself that I'm an idiot for not taking the SAT's or for not preparing for college in any way whatsoever. Prepare for the best school possible and make sure there is a ROTC program so I could go into the Navy as an officer rather than enlisted...perhaps I would have stayed in. I would tell myself to put all of my effort into whatever it was i decided to do or to do nothing at all. Today is what matters not tomorrow so make the best of everyday and strive to spread good in a world that desperately needs it.

Alesa

Wichita State University is by far the most family like university I think I could have ever attended, and I am very thankful for all the people who try to help me be successful now and in the future!

I would tell myself to work on my study skills, and note taking skills a little more, because here in college, they move a bit faster than the teachers in high school. I would also tell myself to be smart socially, and remember that the friends I have in high school will more than likely fade away unfortunately, but it will be okay. Last thing I would say is to start getting out of my comfort zone in high school, because in college, that's where the magic happens.

I wish that I would have known more people before I got here. Coming here alone was very scary at first, because I understand that networking is the best thing you can do for your future. Then again meeting new people is a blast. I also wish I would have known more about the parking services on campus for freshman in the dorms, because it is a struggle trying to get to places, not having my car right outside the door like at home.

Chloe

Wichita State is heavily focused on the future not the current student population.

Knowing what I know now I would tell my high school self to calm down and be reassured that college is a place to flourish and meet new people. I would tell me self to fear less and anticpate more. As a high school senior, I was too focused on getting myself academically prepared for college when I should have been trying to emotionally and mentally prepare myself for the great college leap. So, as a college senior I would go back and say that even though academics are the cornerstone of college, the majority of the process is becoming the person you will be for the rest of your life. I would stress to my high school senior self that you will never be able to plan or expect everything that will happen to you in college. What you should do is plan for anything not for everything. Overall, I would tell my senior self to know your worth. When you value yourself as a freshmen you get even further as a senior. With valuing myself and my abilites comes a confidence that cannot be traded upon and knowing that as a freshmen would have been priceless.

I wish I had known how much change was going to occur while I was attending school. In the course of my three years of study there have been mutlitple changes in buildings and structures that have gotten in the way of my over all satifaction with Wichita State.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.