Wichita State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Wichita State University

I haven't had problems with the college. It's only the third we of school, so I can't say I'm having problems yet. We haven't had any sports games, but the students here are getting the the sportsmanship spirit. We have small events that welcomed new and returning students. Overall, Wichita State is a good school to attend.

holly

I lived with parents so I cant comment on off campus housing. The area is now in a weird situation. A few blocks east starts the high end center like Bradley Fair and a lot of restaurants and entertainment. The area west isnt great. The food on campus is largely relegated to fast food franchises and what salads/sandwiches Starbucks serves. There could be better options. The library is awesome and if covid ever goes away, theres a section that is open 24 hours. some classes are bigger than others, some only have maybe 15 people in them, depends on what you take. The professors are always available to some degree- fair warning, not all have an actual office. some just teach one or two classes so they dont have one. There are some classes where tutoring is automatically available so you dont have to ask around for one. We are very passionate about our mens basketball team. parking can be a nightmare so either take early classes or stack them so you commute on bus from one of the lots and are on campus a decent amount of time to make the commute by bus worth it.

Seth

Great school. The coursework and the teachers definitely prepared me for the world after college. The Alumni connections have been great as well!

Kathryn

Freedom and home sickness- the combination that makes up the college experience when leaving your home. There is no greater joy then to find the same feelings at your University. It becomes home, and you miss it when you leave. Friendly people make up the campus and helpful teachers who want to see you succeed stand by your side. What more could someone ask for than a home away from home where you achieve your dreams, Wichita State University, I thank you.

Courtney

Wichita State University is a very diverse college. Everyone is kind to one another and the professors get to know you and care for you. They help you succeed. There is always something to do and you should never have a bored day. The resources on campus are amazing and allow you to become successful.

Brian

Wichita state is an amazing four year. There is usually a lot going on around campus. We hit national headlines for bringing camels to campus for Hump day. As long as you are committed to having a great college experience this college is for you. You definitely get your moneys worth and the school is riddled with amazing facilities for every major. The campus is pretty big as well, a bike or skateboard is usually recommended but you can get around walking fine. Sorority and Fraternity life is existent but not necessary to get involved on campus. Hope you enjoy Wichita State University, I hope to see you here.

Vanessa

Overall I like Wichita State, you'll always run into someone you know and the majority of people you meet are friendly. The professors can be a little difficult to understand in class but you have to put your own work into it to pass each class. The food isn't bad, but at the same time not the greatest. With the campus expanding though we are getting a little more diversity in food and people. With more buildings being made student services are becoming more available and convenient to use for computers and studying. Overall WSU isn't a bad school, I consider it your normal everyday university.

Amber

My teachers are passionate about what they teach. In all of my classes the teachers get excited, even for the lecture classes. The students around me enjoy the curriculum, I hear very few complaints from fellow students. One of my favorite things about the school is the after class options. Not only are the teacher easy to contact, but outside activities are encouraged and provided. Being part of the art school there are many art lectures, art movie nights, and we are required in classes to be a part of the art scene in town. Both in class and out of class passion is encouraged.

Reyna

Throughout my first year at Wichita State, I was coming to understand firsthand the incredible challenges of college. I was terrible at math and on the verge of failing, but there were so many resources like the Math Lab that include math tutors that saved me from that. When I needed help with various essays, the Writing Center told me everything that was great about my writing as well as the areas I needed to work on. Shocker Hall really makes people feel included in a community where it is impossible to not make friends. The GroundHouse was there when I needed to pull all nighters, as it is open until 2 AM. The professors will extend their office hours for you if you need it, and the academic advisors really make everything convenient. I almost didn't attend WSU, but now I'm glad I did.

My experience at Wichita State University was wonderful. I majored in Secondary Math Education, and I felt very prepared to be a teacher when I graduated. WSU has a wonderful partnership with USD 259 and I was afforded many opportunities to be in the classroom working with students and teachers for two full school years. This experience was invaluable. My advisor and my professors were also excellent and incredibly supportive, and I felt that I could go to them for help whenever I needed it. Overall I had a wonderful experience at WSU and would highly recommend this university for anyone who is interested in majoring in education.

Courtney

Its nice.

syed

Though I am not fully a student based on my constant exposure and all my friends at least many of them being in WSU, I can say it seems like a pretty good college for local people. There is vast number different groups both culturally and ideologically, but as expected in a bigger school it seems that one ideology encompasses many students but even with that still there is much different thought and people are different.

Micha

I’ve enjoyed being a student at Wichita State. Their online program is so beneficial to so many students, and I’ve really felt at home here. The professors are all really down to Earth and are here for you for any questions you may have. The environment here is really positive and welcoming.

Mikayla

Wichita State University is a great place to learn in my opinion. Although, I would suggest getting involved in a club or sport in order to meet new people to hang out with, as you won't feel as lonely if you're like me coming in from out of state. I for one found a great community of like-minded people and friends in the Shocker Gaming Club.

John

There are some aggravating things about the college(most of it is with the dorms and food), but the campus itself is pretty awesome. People are really nice, and surprisingly student some manors. The buildings are built well. The professors will normally work with you if you just ask.

WSU is a good school. We have brand new dorms. The basketball team is great. The area that it is in is not very safe--keep your eyes peeled and I carry mace with me to class. I like most of my professors. We have a wide diversity in ages, but not really in race. It's mostly white people. If I could improve two things it would be safety and diversity.

Overall, I love the atmosphere at WSU and how the faculty and community genuinely cares about the well being of the students. Everyone who goes to WSU seems to really love the school and there is a lot of school spirit. I wish that there was more diversity among the students in terms of international students but given the location of the university I think that the population is well varied. I am really glad that I chose WSU for the duration of my further education and think that it is the best fit for me personally.

Nathan

It's just meh...........I kinda wanted to die, i also felt like i was gonna get stabbed by a very shady man

Kathryn

Academically, WSU is a fantastic school. There are many issues with the administration and the amount they actually care for the students. It is clear to many students that we are only a pay check to them. They are building without thinking and raising prices so students can't afford to live on campus. It is more common to live off after your freshman year due to over crowding and prices.

Alyssa

I loved the fact that they had an on-campus police station basically right at the front of campus so that you cannot miss it. I loved how involved they seemed in their community with their artwork and how it seemed that alumni came to give back after they graduated. I really thought the caterpillar statue was cool and showed that your school was unique and interesting. Another perk was that it the campus was so close to major stores so all you had to do was drive for maybe five minutes and then you'd be at Walmart or Pizza Hut.

Alison

Wichita State University, has yet to disappoint me. I have now spent two months on campus as a student and I am overwhelmed with the support that has been provided by the staff, and students. It truly provides a "at home" environment.

Natalie

An okay University. There's always something going on on campus. The food is okay, as are the facilities and teachers. WSU is putting a big emphasis on their new engineering department and facilities like gyms and Starbucks more than they are on the students. In addition, many of the general education classes (especially in the chemistry department) are taught by teachers who should not be teaching (i.e. can't adapt to their student's needs and/or lack communication). WSU does have a really active SGA and greek life though, and some of their graduate programs are amazing!

Talia

I really enjoy Wichita State. Wichita is home for me, so I didn't get the full college experience of moving to a different place and living in the dorms, but I had plenty of friends that did so I spent a lot of time there. I feel like there is an adequate amount of extracurricular activities, especially that take place the first few weeks of school, and it is a really great place to learn. The professors really care about their students and make an effort to connect with them.

Scott

Wichita State University is a great school. The class sizes are for the most part small enough to get great one on one time with the instructor if needed. The campus is not too big and not too small, with great facilities. There are new buildings being constructed at the moment. I highly recommend.

Heather

It is generally a great place to be. The campus is not too big or too small and is easily navigated if you live on campus, a little more tricky if commuting. People who work in the offices are generally friendly and helpful. The academics are pretty accessible and flexible as a graduate student.

Phathanalath

Wichita State University is one of the best schools I have attended. The professors are very knowledgeable about their studies. I always love going to class and learning something new everyday. I am currently enrolled in the nursing program that they have and most people would say it is one of the best ones. I always look forward to going to school everyday.

Michele

I like it but the tuition is a bit high. The professors are willing to help and are quite friendly. There is a lot to do on campus and many social activities in which you can make friends and meet new collegues!

Marissa

I believe that it is a very beautiful, academically based environment. Unfortunately, the class size is huge which not a lot of people like especially in small towns. However; in all reality the school is striving. They are very involved in academics, and especially sports. Everybody knows who the wushock basketball team is!

Shania

Wichita State University of one of the safest campuses in the country. There are many friendly cops always on campus to watch over you. The only time I have ever been scared on campus is when I have to pay my tuition. Everyone is very friendly, though you will soon realize the foreign exchange students need to be more friendly with deodorant. I love WSU, especially now that they are doubling the campus size with restaurants, shops, and apartments.

Christian

A commuter college with a relatively diverse student population. Located in a not great part of town, there have been numerous crimes including robberies, stalkings, assaults and even a murder within a mile of campus. That being said, I have never personally had any issues, but you probably shouldn't walk alone off campus at night. Had an array of learning opportunities with eclectic, wise, brilliant and babbling professors, some of which I will never forget. Theatre department is really a home away from home. Once they let you in here, it is literally a second family which somehow makes college stress easier to deal with. The parking situation on campus is a major turn off for a handful of reasons. There is usually a parking space on campus, unfortunately, the smaller parking lots located on the South and East end (respectively) tend to get filled with faculty and a sprinkle of students. What this means is that you sometimes will have to walk from the West side of campus to the East side and back. If you aren't bothered by a little jaunt, good for you, but parking can be a struggle to find early in the mornings when you're rushing late to class. On top of that, try that stint in the dead of a Kansas winter, wind chill slicing through you like butter. My other gripe with parking is that because the basketball team is incredibly popular, on game days the parking lot is even sectioned off in order to prepare for the basketball game traffic. This leaves students in a tight spot who may inadvertently park in a wrong spot, forget to move their car, or who are unable to get to their vehicle in time to move it, earning them a ticket in upwards of $100. Very aggressive and unnecessarily punitive parking standards. Rolling upgrades have gradually lifted the aesthetic & physical portions of campus, improving buildings and creating more appealing areas to explore, study or hang out. The Rhatigan Student Center in the center of campus is a great spot for all of the above and it even includes a cafeteria with a variety of grub. Campus life is vibrant with a multitude of interestingly diverse clubs, groups and Greek life.

Kelseigh

The campus is easy to navigate and beautiful views. I enjoy seeing the artwork surrounding different buildings. I have huge opportunities each day to build my knowledge as well as my interactions with others. This experience is helping prepare for my future with people.

Stacy

It is a good school for online studies and anything off campus. Great for the traditional on campus students during the day. Not such a good school for night classes. Poor amount of parking and in a generally bad and dangerous area of town due to all of the gang activity near by. Other than that it has an outstanding business school and engineering school. Some of the best in the state.

Wendy

Wichita state university is a great place for career opportunities. Faculty and staff are friendly, knowledgeable, and approachable. The campus is beautiful and well maintained. WSU is conveniently located to all the amenities Wichita, Ks has to offer.

Theron

It is a good school with much to offer in the town of Wichita. The cost is very acceptable and manageable. The only problem with the town is the sometimes dangerous neighborhoods and sketchy areas. However these are easily avoidable and with the exception of those areas the town truly is a wonderful town with everything you could ever want in it. The campus is also very beautiful

Isabella

I generally enjoy it. The school is amazing! There are groups and activities for everyone. The amount of connections within the growing city is really nice too; many of my professors have deeply rooted connections within the community. There are several artistic opportunities and the connections are great!

Chandler

Overall it is a very sound school. The class sizes are relatively small so you can get the help that you need. The faculty go out of their way to make sure you are getting a smooth transition either between high school and college or from class to class.

John

Wichita state is a pretty nice place but the price keeps rising. The teachers there are really helpful and they provide help centers if you ever need help with math or getting your papers edited. The best part is that it's FREE! Hopefully tuition will stop going up, but other than that. Schools not a bad place.

Mary

I think that WSU is a good school for the right people. I think they charge a little much for "infrastructure fees" and their policy on changing majors from the school of engineering and the school of business is a little ridiculous. Their website isn't very user-friendly. The engineering fee is a little ridiculous. Class size is good, given the huge number of students.

Caitlin

I love the campus, but if you're an overly sensitive person, to any type of topic, you won't make it here. The students love a good protest. The campus is beautiful and constantly being expanded. We are one of the most diverse campuses in the mid-west, maybe in the whole country. I love it here.

Carina

Wichita State University is a wonderful college. The atmosphere is modern, innovated, calm, collected and comforting. The professors allow students the opportunity to expand their minds. With our amazing art and music programs, WSU is a place of creativity and openness. We live to be Shockers. We live for basketball, baseball, operas, and acceptance. Don't worry, you'll always feel at home.

Wichita State University is a great place for a student of any age to receive an education. It offers a lower cost than other schools do, which expands learning to a greater and poorer group of individuals. Wichita State has a relatively small campus, but it still offers a lot. This is great for students who don't have ways to get around. Especially if one were to live directly on campus. They also have multiple places to eat at all times of the day. The jobs on campus are great because it works around one's schedule.

Hunter

Wichita State University is a very fun filled and positive place to continue learning after high school. The professors and the student are super nice and very helpful. Nice facilities, but the surrounding area can be a scary at times. Overall, a great place I would recommend coming to school here.

Abigail

Wichita State University has tons of opportunities to get involved and meet new people. There are plenty of fun events for students. I have met some amazing people and friends that I have no doubt I will be friends with for years to come. It feels like home. Plus, who doesn't love a mascot that's a bundle of wheat? The Shocker Men's Basketball games are always exciting, but if that's not your thing there are some cool events put on by the Student Activities Council. There's really something for everyone here. It has that small college feel that you can't find with most big universities. Highly recommend becoming a part of Shocker Nation.

Abby

The rigor of the academic curriculum is excellent, and the professors are generally knowledgeable and helpful. I've only had trouble raising responses from one or two of my professors for online classes so far. In general, I feel like faculty and staff are invested in students' success and willing to help students excel. It isn't always easy to get information or explanations from faculty and staff, though, especially in advising, admissions, and financial aid. You may have to make multiple phone calls or send multiple emails to get answers to your questions, and expect to be given some runaround.

Mariah

Ehh. The financial aid is the worst thing ever. But if you get past the school is really good. Get involved or you’ll be bored out of your mind. Professors sometimes don’t work with you which sucks. Some classes there’s just no way to pass with an a.

Caitlyn

I enjoy the school, there are a few problems like parking and sometimes it's difficult to meet new people, but overall it's a really nice school with a lot to get involved in. The basketball scene is really popular, there's always an art show to attend, and the student center always has good food to eat and people to talk to.

Jadyn

I think Wichita State is a great university, although the retention rate is god awful. Only 43% of students actually graduate. I feel like one of these students. The class sizes, for science classes at least, are humongous- like 200 to 400 people in one class. Most of the science and mathematics professors are foreign so they are incredibly difficult to understand, but they are genuinely nice people who want to see you succeed so they are always willing to help. I would not have been able to get through all my years at WSU if it wasn't for my academic advisor, Nancy. She is AMAZING. The advisors at this school are almost worthless- they tell you classes are easy when they aren't, they won't give you any information about teachers or the classes, they are pretty much setting you up to fail. But not Nancy. The campus is beautiful and always blooming with a variety of flowers. The campus has a very home-like feel because of the on-campus dorms, restaurants, and gym. We even have a bowling alley on campus! Overall, I would only recommend someone to go to Wichita State if they are a Kansas resident. If they aren't, I would tell them to go somewhere else.

Holly

I love Wichita State University. As a freshman I moved from Oklahoma without knowing a soul and now I couldn’t be more thankful for the community and friendships I have. Not only does the school offer extracurricular activities but have over 200 clubs, as well as intramural sports, Greek life, and is overall a very clean environment. I would recommend this college to anyone. It is a very diverse campus and is welcoming to all.

Chan

You will gain lots of experiences at Wichita State University. I'm the first one in my family to attend to college so it's all fun and exciting. WSU offers a lot of helpful activities and outdoor events. Students have a lot of opportunities to get involve and interact with staffs and other students

Sandra

I think it's a great school! It's diverse and feels like home! Everyone is nice and welcoming! For example, I'm involved in an organization called the Ambassadors for the Office of Diversity & Inclusion, and in the Office of Diversity & Inclusion, students feel at home. There are two sayings this office has: "Home away from home" and "Lean into Discomfort." Lean into discomfort basically means to get out of your comfort zone and trust the people around you- students have the opportunity to share their stories and opinions in a safe environment.