Widener University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Widener University

Kaleb

I currently attend the online program, so I cannot speak to a majority of those questions. I think the online program is good. I like that it is organized. I do believe it is overpriced. I could see it being so expensive if they redid the curriculum every year, but I have done projects that have professor videos posted in 2018.

Kennedy

It’s to expensive to for no reason and all the higher ups turn a blind eye to things students actually need. They say they’re all about their students and they’re not. Widener is a complete scam especially during this pandemic. They pretend to care and don’t.

Shana

Widener University was the school I chose to transfer to. Small class sizes meant a more personal approach to academics, and a more hands-on learning experience. There is a lot of diversity on campus, which brought about intellectual and cultural conversations in a wide variety of settings beyond the classroom. There are so many opportunities to be involved on campus, in civic engagement, in social justice, and in social experiences. While Chester might not be the safest place, the campus itself feels like home.

kelly

Widener University is a small school in a suburban area. The neighboring locations aren't the greatest, but Philadelphia isn't too far. Because it's a small school, the classes are also small. Teachers know everyone's name and are pretty much always available if you ask. Don't let the neighborhood scare you. The campus is safe, and if you feel unsafe your best bet is to travel in groups or call campus safety.

Gabriela

A great school in its involvement and academics. I am a recent transfer from the School of Nursing to the Psychology program. Nursing was challenging but there was great support and the program was invigorating . The school is decently expensive but it is a private school and the money is being used to better our community as we are located in Chester. There are plenty of opportunities for community service as well, and the Fraternity & Sorority Life at Widener is definitely a leading advocate to making a change in the community.

Widener University provides students with the overall college experience without potentially overwhelming them by having gigantic class sizes or a huge confusing campus. The staff are incredibly friendly and are almost always willing to help you with whatever you need and if not will help you find another way to accomplish what you need to. You can tell that the campus community really cares about each other and wants everyone to succeed.

Brenna

I attend, and have attended, Widener University for nearly two years now. I am a sophomore nursing student. I would award this school a 4.5 star review. As far as the nursing department, I would award a full 5 stars. Aside from this campus being breathtakingly beautiful, the faculty and education is astonishing. In just one semester I was noticeably ahead of friends in the same department of other schools. The faculty is resolute on helping you succeed, and treat you as an individual; not just a number in a lecture hall. The nursing department as whole is wildly successful. We use simulation labs to learn and I find this technique highly effective. Compared to other nursing departments, I think this feature sets ours ahead. Widener is determined to help students succeed. Semester-based advising meetings are planned to discuss current grades and upcoming courses. Tutoring is constantly available for nearly any subject. Any and all tutoring/study opportunities are shared with students via email. Our campus also has an incredible amount of passionate clubs, including environmental health based clubs, politics, etc. There is always something fun to do during time off on campus. The faculty is always willing to help if the students request it. Many teachers will find extra practice and make students aware of it. The nursing department is stellar. The state of the art simulation labs make learning a hands on experience. It makes working in real life scenarios so much more attainable. The use of the labs has driven me and made me all the more exited for my career. I think in that way, the school keeps students determined to graduate and make it to that goal; by showing us just how great it can be. Overall, this school, and specifically the nursing department, deserves much attention for their success and wonderful learning habitat for students.

Denise

Widener is Avery good school . The student culture is very friendly and interactive. The professors are very knowledgeable and crafty in ways to keep the class engaged. They also are accessible for the student as as well as return emails in a timely manner! I am not much of a sports buff, but I receive emails regarding sporting events regularly and see groups of sport participants in my travels on campus. Overall, my experience at Widener University had been exceptional!! I would truly encourage others to attend!

Rachelle

The school offers various opportunities that allows students to grow and get experience for the future. The campus life can be a little dull at times but there is plenty to around if you put an effort in to finding something. There is nothing to complain about the academics, teachers always make themselves available if you need help. Overall widener is a great school to attend.

Jasmine

It is a okay school and they offer a lot of scholarship money your first year. A lot of the buildings are up to date but the dorms could use a lot of renovation. There should also be more healthy options for food on campus. The library is definitely one of the best things on campus.

Micah

I actually really like Widener. I cannot to wait to go there for the 2018 Fall semester. The campus just feels like home. It is small, everyone is friendly, everything is close by, and etc. I am really looking forward to the education opportunities offered at Widener. I wish to major in Biology with a Pre-Med track. I will shadow doctors at Crozer Keystone hospital. I am also looking forward to participating in extracurricular activities such as fraternities and student government. Finally, I will work on providing service to the community of Chester.

David

Widener University is a small school that feels like a community. I am a Freshman at Widener, and this was not my first choice in schools; however, after finishing my first semester I can honestly say I made that right choice. Classes are challenging because the professors really do care and are trying to get us to think more independently. Everyone on campus is extremely nice and all the workers like to learn your name and get to know you. The only downfalls to Widener are that we are in Chester, so there is nothing to do off campus unless you have a car, and the food in the cafeteria is not the best. If I got to go back in time I would chose Widener again.

Sheritta

It is a great school. Very expensive but gives a great education

Dyana

Widener is great academically because they class sizes are small and the teachers a great. The dorms are pretty small and simple. Depending in which hall you live, there is no air conditioning so it can get really hot in the dorm. The food at the cafeteria is not good.

Patricia

I visited there several times and have felt the same during both visits. The place is very welcoming and there always seems to be resource for every situation, both academically and socially. I really appreciated the time spent with the Deans, professors and the students during my last visit. One Dean spent almost an hour out of his busy day to show us around some labs and explained what types of research the engineering group is currently working on. I appreciated their time and patience to answer any questions I may have had.

Kelcey

Widener University is a wonderful school and is very nice on campus. The problems occur once you go off campus, because it is in an unsafe neighborhood, but on campus I feel safe and happy. Many of the professors will bend over backwards to help you pass a class and advisors are so supportive. It is a comfortable atmosphere and a good environment to get involved in .

Naomi

I finished my Bachelors of Nursing at Widener as a distance learning student. I had an excellent experience. My professors were always available to meet, speak on the phone, or chat online, and the college facilities were wonderful. Even as a distance learner, I always felt welcome. The services for students were excellent, and I always felt safe on campus, even at night.

Bali

I love the diversity and how we connect with the community around us either through class or organizations. Oskin Leadership and receiving leadership awards are important as it helps you grow as individual and impacts one's future in a positive way.

Allison

I love Widener. The atmosphere, students, and teachers are part of why I love it. Sports are also a huge part of Widener. The most popular sport is football but students still go to other sports games. I cant wait to continue my education here!!!!!!!

Shawn

it's awesome. The instructors are great. I take an online curriculum so as far as the actual school I can't say much. I know I get updates all the time about the goings on at the school from academics to sports and the school is very active in social problems. There is leadership training you can take outside of your classes to help promote yourself as a leader. There is great pride in the various sports programs. The online program I am taking is educational and filled with information that I can use to better myself in my chosen career. The instructors are always there for you if you have a problem.

Allison

Widener was one of the first places that I could imagine myself being at. The entire building for nurses felt like home. The campus size wasn't too big but it is big enough to get lost for the first couple days. The day I visited, the weather wasn't on my side. The rain caused puddles on paved walkways. I felt like I was walking in one big puddle the whole time. The freshman dorms are really small. In the dorm located inside the Cann building, there was barely enough room for the beds to not be stacked on top of eachother. The overall tuition is very expensive. Even with the scholarships that they provide, it's just not enough. The quality of the food does make up for it. There were various options of meals to choose from. It was flavorful and I could tell it was made with love. The people here make up for the small dorm sizes. Right when I stepped on campus, I could tell that these were my people. The people I could see me studying with, cracking jokes with, become friends with. Right when I stepped on campus, I knew that this place valued each and every student. I knew that the people here were going to be my family for the next four years. Everyone that I have come across wasn't scared to show their real self. There's a bad reputation about the area that surrounds the school but I can tell that every student cares about the school. They want change, they want to change the reputation. They want to show off this school, the school they are proud of being part of. If I could change some things about the campus, I would. But, the one thing I would not change is the people. Widener is a place I would easily call home. Home isn't about the location. Home is about the people.

Charles

Good school with small class sizes and teachers that really do care about their students and their overall success, both inside the classroom and in their future careers. Plenty of opportunities to get involved with research in your field and a good co-op program for engineers. Excellent nursing and physical therapy program. Expensive though.

I am currently a student at widener and am deeply thinking about transferring. The school is beautiful and I love the academics, but other than that everything sucks. DONT live on campus and expect to feel full from the food because you will hate the food after about a week. The professors are awesome and the campus is nice, but theres not really a weekend life. Living in the dorms as well feel like a waste of money. Theres always something wrong and nobody to fix it. I love the school, but I feel as though I waste money being there

Kiana

At the univeristy I am in the Accelerated BSN program, I am not on campus during the day. The campus is very beautiful and feels like home. The program is big it does not require for students to take an entrance exam. They will just have to have good grades and not repeat the science course.

Kevin

It's a good school that has many opportunities for students to get involved and get good internships around the Philadelphia area. overall it has a good sports program and the students are very involved in events on campus. The campus is well mainetained by the staff and has a very pleasant dining hall with a variety of food.

audrey

I chose Widener University for nursing school because it has a very good reputation in the nursing community. I was a little bit hesitant to choose this school because of the area surrounding it. Widener university is an academic island surrounded by the drug ridden jungle of Chester, PA. It has one of the highest crime rates in the country. Last fall there was a span of 6 reported murders in a span of just 11 days. However, I feel safe with Widener University's campus safety and the local police department.

Kimberly

Widener is the small school with a big heart. Faculty and staff care about students as human beings first. They are approachable and professional if students need help with anything academically, athletically or personally. Widener provides so much that students and staff at every level want to give back to the local community. The administration considers the global impact on faculty, staff and students with their decisions. Going to work everyday and being a graduate student brings me personal rewards knowing I am at a university that nurtures the mind and spirit.

Brianna

My overall opinion of Widener University is that it is a very respectable college. College life outside of the classroom is exceptional. There are many people on campus that you can become friends with. The dorms are a little small, but still very livable. The classes are on the smaller side so that every teacher can know their students and it is easier to learn. All-in-all, Widener is a very nice college, and place to live.

Jane

Overall this school is a rip off. They charge a ridiculous amount and find ways to constantly be billing students for something. There is constantly some kind of hacker alerts being sent to my email so I never know what information I can trust. I only had a good relationship with a few professors. I had multiple professors tell me I wouldn't make it in my chosen profession (based off my grades not my skills). I am excelling in my profession now that I left Widener. The professors only teach to accommodate one type of learning style and choose favorites. There are limited places to go unless you have a car. The whole surrounding area is very unsafe. I lived off campus because it was cheaper to buy a house next to the college than it was to stay in one of their old run down dorms. My house was robbed, and the school that has video cameras everywhere including facing directly at my house, would not release the tapes to the police for them to review and get our stuff back. If you choose to go here just know that everyone goes home on the weekends and campus will be empty. The cafeteria would only stay open until 7pm and never made accommodations for student athletes.

Audrey

The curriculum is good however I am the target of bullying and do not feel taken seriously by the leaders of the nursing program. I'm being told that its only my perception when I complain of my concerns for safety. A student almost got me with her car and I am being told it was not caught on video after I was already told it was.

Briana

Widener University was my top choice school and I loved everything about it until this year. I had an issue with one of my roommates and the school only made the situation worse and ended up blaming me in the end. We have advisors who are supposed to make sure you are on track and fulfilling all of your requirements and they all suck and have no idea what they're doing. So now I have to pay $2,000 out of pocket to take a summer class because I was told I fulfilled a requirement even though I really hadent. Everything is overpriced for no reason. I lived in a $16,000 residence hall this year that had cockroaches and an RA who felt she could come into our room and go through our things whenever she liked. I used to live my school but I feel like they are willing to screw over their students for money whenever they get the chance.

Gianna

I really enjoyed the tour and the campus. Widener is definitely one of my top choices. I was able to have the opportunity to see the dorms, the classrooms, and get a feel of what the Widener college life is like. After spending a day at Widener, I applied right away.

April

I'm only attending Widener University for graduate school. On the academic side, the school is amazing; there are some staff and professors that need a lesson in empathy and sympathy though. However, I have noticed that the campus does cater more to the undergraduate population. The amenities are not conducive for the graduate programs. I stayed in graduate housing for a little bit and it was definitely not the best and it wasn't located in the best type of neighborhood. You can tell that they haven't been renovated in a long time. In addition, the hotels and restaurant choices surrounding the institution, need a little upgrade as well.

Tenisha

Friendly, warm and welcoming!

Emma

Widener University is a school where the university makes sure that you succeed. If you fall behind, someone is there with a solution or a plan that you can go with. the campus itself is doing great things for the community around it, with outreach programs and schooling opportunities for the children around the school. The people that make up the university are amazing and there to make sure that this is going to be the best college experience that you can get. Its a great school with not a lot of buzz around it.

My overall opinion of the school is that it thrives on the stance of community with the students, teachers, faculty and people living outside of Widener University. Everyone can be very friendly and I do like the small class size it provides. The food can be better, sometimes the staff don't care but you also have people that do care about the people.

Gurreet

So far, it is okay. However, the people are very nice, yet I still very lost. Even though, there a lot of resources. Financially it is very confusing and unorganized.

John

The school is mediocre at best. They lure students in with a scholarship and when they see the GPA disqualifies you they take it away instantly. Food isn’t good I typically use meal swipes or end up paying extra for food out side of the cafeteria. The class sizes aren’t that small most of the classes have 25 students in them. Professors also aren’t very friendly and tend to be busy. The campus is small and outdated for the cost of tuition. The dorms also are very small for freshmen and don’t have air conditioning. A state school could get you a better education for less.