William Carey University

« See more reviews of William Carey University

Azea college isnt all about going to the TOP schools in the nation. Or trying to satisfy everyones preference of what school you should attend. Its not just about partying, freedom, and guys either. Its about finding yourself as a person. Making mistakes and learning from them. Dont ever be afraid to fail, because in life you will fail. Success comes into play when you learn how to overcome your obstacles and stand on your own two feet. I say this because the school you will attend your freshman year isnt the school you will graduate from. The major you intended on pursuing isnt the major you will graduate with. Community colleges are not just for the students who "BARELY" graduate from highschool. They are also for students like yourself. Students who have to leave a four college because they cant afford it financially. Dont be scared by what I am saying because its all part of a journey. As a result you find your hearts desire, your passion. Life is what you make it ,"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. "

College should be the time of your children's lives! They will work for the rest of their days after graduation, so be sure that you help them find a place where they will have an optimal experience. The first decision that you must make is whether they are interested in attending a large or small university, and remember that small does not always mean private. This will narrow your choices considerably. I would not suggest choosing a school based on a particular major because there's always a chance that majors will change. Come up with a list of things that are important to your kids then locate schools that have fit into the ramifications of that list. After you have a list of school: VISIT THEM! Do not send your child to school without visiting it first. Be sure that you visit on a weekday when the school is in full swing, this will give your children a look at what really goes on there. Speak to professors, students, admissions, and the department they're interested in. You'll know when they've found the right school: it will be the one they cannot stop talking about!

My advice to parents is don't ignore the social aspect of college life. When I started college, I had no idea what I was in for, socially. I had parents who set curfew and limitations while I was at home. However, there was limited restrictions at the college I first attended. The dorms were loud. I shared A dorm with someone who wanted to hang out with friends more than she wanted to study. Sometimes we disagreed on things like the temperature of our room, music, television channels, etc. I had to learn how to comprimise with my roommate. There was peer pressure to drink, party, and have a good time, date, and stay out late. Women students were sneeking men into the women's dorms passed curfew. I caved in to some of the peer pressure, and my grades began to suffer as I tried to "fit in". I became depressed over my grades. I would advise parents to consider a private college that have restrictions. Students can have a little freedom, but not total freedom. Try to share a dorm with a friend you already know or get a private room until you get to know someone.

Finding the right college is a challeging life situation. Ultimately, though, I've found there are some practical guidelines. First and foremost, this is the school the student will be attending, so his choice in the matter should be important. No parent should force his child to go to a school based on his or her own history, or beliefs. That said, I trusted my parents and talked to them rationally about the pros and cons of several schools and, even though after my first year I thought I might be in the wrong place, ultimately I think they, and I as well, were right. A second word of advice I would give would be to visit the campus. It will usually make it pretty clear if it's the place for you or not. And, finally, be honest with yourself. Which school will best be conducive of academic growth for you? Do you have any problematic tendencies a certain school environment may not help you with? If you can rationally discuss with your parents, visit the campus, and be honest with yourself, I think you will find the right school.

I am what most colleges consider to be a "nontraditional" student. I am 30 years old and attempting to complete my elementary education degree. I have always had a desire to continue my education. Since being out of high school for over 10 years now I find myself wishing I were that high school senior again. If I had the opportunity to go back to my senior year I would tell myself to enjoy the experience of college life. It is truly a time you will never forget and never get back. I would also tell myself to be strict and stay commited to your major and do the absolute best you possibly can. When deciding on what major you want to pursue, be certain it is something you are going to enjoy and love and look forward to getting up in the mornings to go do. This is very important. Had I know this 10 years ago I wouldn't be trying to finish a degree at 30. College is the best years of your life. A person grows and learns so much about themselves and life during these wonderful years. Embrace the experience.

If you want a small christian university for your student this is the placefor you to send your student. While William Carey has many positive aspects, it equally has a numbr of drawbacks as well. For instance, there are many religious groups on camus designed to aid the student, however, the cost of aid is often times the submission of the student to the beliefs of that group. Similarly, William Carey distributes great scholarships which may be taken away if the student declines to attend certain religious functios. Moreover, the net benefit of going to William Carey is that students will learn the complications of the real world - no one hands out free stuff that doesn't want something in return. As for the administration of this school, it is certainly not as student friendly as it could be but it isn't that great of a detriment either. Finally, the faculty of the university are helpful and accomodating as well as often being upstanding members of the academic community.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to prepare more for college. I ended up not having enough money to cover my costs of the school year, but couldn't hold down a job because of adjusting to the new environment and focusing on studies. This was a problem for my family, as they had to make up the difference, and I felt guilty about their having to spend the money. I would also tell myself to prepare more for studying. High school was easy, and the first trimester of college was easy. The second trimester, however, was not quite so easy. I actually had to study for one of my courses, and studying is a skill that is not stressed much in high school. I would tell myself the main difference between college and high school: high school is about memorization, but college is about LEARNING. I would advise myself not to wait till the last minute. But most of all if I could go back, I would stress the importance of being financially prepared.

Hey, you! Yeah, you with the glasses. I've got something to tell you. Put down your graphing calculator and listen up. I know you've been working hard trying to get all your homework done and all, and that's all great. But when you get to college, it takes more than just good grades for the kind of success that you want. You need to make sure that you spend some time getting to know the other kids in your major. They may have connections that could help you, and they'll be your colleagues after you graduate. It's always good to know people. Oh yeah, and make sure you talk to your professors if you have any kind of question or problem. They have so many academic, personal, and professional resources that they would love to share with you, but they can't help you if they don't know what you need. So let them know! Alright, you can go back to your math class now. Keep working hard, but don't forget what I told you!

Hey, Mary, having a good day? Well, I caught a ride with Dr. Who to tell you a couple of things for college. First, stop your addiction to coffee because it is much more effective when you have not built up an immunity to it. Second, get off Facebook. I know it's fun to take all the little quizzes and to stalk guys, but in about one year they're going to create this application called Farmville; homework is much more important. Third, when you get frustrated, don't eat sugar, leave. Go to the beach instead. Now, I know you like to read, but you don't need all two hundred books in your dorm room; there's not enough space. Also, your first year at college is not going to be nearly as hard as you think so get involved with stuff outside of studying. Learn to go to bed at a decent hour. Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day don't skip it or class. Anyway, the good doctor and I must leave now. Toodles!

If I had the opportunity, I would go back and tell my high school self to NOT BE STUPID! Graduating from high school, I had no idea what I wanted to do or what school I wanted to go to. I chose to apply to only one four-year institution and only because I was told by everybody that I was supposed to go to college. Though my grades were hardly better than average, my ACT score was high, so I was accepted, and though I had the opportunity to go to the community college in my area for free and give myself some time to decide what major I wanted to pursue in addition to saving money, I chose to go to the distant, expensive school, chose the wrong major, and got sick of it within one semester. Luckily, I've grown up and I've been making far wiser decisions now. Now all I need is the money to go through with the degree my heart is telling me to earn!