William Jessup University Top Questions

If I could go back to talk to myself as a senior in high school I would just tell myself to relax and know that I made the right choice in going to Jessup. This school will challenge you academically and spiritually, but you will come out with new understanding and wisdom. You will live with a great group of girls and have a lot of un with them. You will have amazing professors who truly care about your life and want to help make you succeed. You will learn a lot in your classes and even though sometimes you will have a big workload, it will all be worth it. Don't procrastinate too much and just make sure to dedicate time to studying. Also leave time to just hang out with people and get to know them because those connections will impact you forever. Don't be afraid to trust these people, let them be your friend and let them help you walk through life. You will have a great freshman year of college and you will continue to do well academically, so don't be afraid to leave home and start this new, exciting journey.

As a dual-enrolled student, I have a head start on my college education. When I first decided to pursue high school and college at the same time, I think the first and most important thing I would have liked to have told myself was “do everything early”. Although I managed to get my paperwork filled out and testing finished within the deadlines, it would have been a much smoother transition if I had decided to take action early on rather than wait as long as I did. I also would have advised myself to pursue scholarships for textbooks since they ended up costing more than I anticipated. Additionally, I would have told myself not to stress, because at the time of application I was rather worried that if everything wasn’t done exactly perfect my effort would fail and I would miss out. Lastly, I would have reassured myself that college was not going to be a shockwave in my life. I would have to adapt my schedule to college courses, but I did not have to worry about throwing my entire lifestyle away and building a whole new life completely different from the one I already loved.

Elle

As a high school senior, I was the first person in my entire family to go to college. I needed so much guidance and there was none to be found. I thought that all of my hard work was going to go to waste because I did not know what to do going into college! I would tell myself that the college applications are not as hard as you think, don't be afraid of the essays, they are not as hard as people would like to have you think. As a senior you talk to all of your friends about how far along they are with their college applications and you always feel as though you are so far behind. Here is my key; do your applications as early as you possibly can. Many times the fees are waived, you get a little bit of a "leg up" in the acceptance process because you look as though you are on top of your game, and above all else, you are far less stressed. Apply to a lot of colleges, the more colleges you apply to the more colleges you have to choose from based off of your acceptance letters!

Kylie

The most important thing to know when college starts is that despite being labled as an adult and are expected to act as one (such as you should) it is important to remember that you are not alone. Being an adult does not mean placing yourself in a situation and not asking for help. The true measure of an adult is a person who can admit that they cannot do it by themselves and must take the time to find other indivuals to help them accomplish the task. Know that asking for help is not weak but the best way to finish something, because in the end the task is finished faster and you come out as a better person having learned from those who helped you.

I have learned a great deal about my field, myself, and others. I have had opportunities to grow into my own self and identity, to gain independence and make my own choices. I have learned the value of friendship and the dangers of trusting too soon. I have learned that a woman still has worth even if she doesn't have a ring on her finger. I have discovered my passion, and have been inspired to continue my educatation to the Ph.D. level. College has equipped me for my field of work, and for life itself.

Valerie

College has definitely been a time of growth for me... I think everyone needs that time to figure out who they are and who they want to be. I highly recommend going away for college because though I love my parents, I need that time to be away, to explore the world, and be my own person. College teaches responsibility, your mom's not going to be your second alarm when you're forty and sleep though work. All of my friends back home went to city college and it doesn't have the same effect. Even if you don't go to college for a career, go for your own self- discoveries sake. Go live in a dorm, learn to live with other people, learn what freedom there is to be able to stay up past curfew, even if only for one night. You can read all the books you want, but nothing else will give you that experience. College has given me knowledge, that will not only help me with my career, but with life. In the short time I've been here I've learned more about God, myself and others then I have in years before.

After almost one semester of college at William Jessup University under my belt, I have attained many different experiences that I find I value very much. First of all, I greatly value the experiences that naturally come with living on campus. When one is far away from their own family, it helps to be able to quickly form a family-like community with all the students all around you. My private school always caters to making the campus feel like one big family. On top of this, being in smaller sized classes has allowed me to develop personal relationships with my professors. The other night, I spent an hour and a half in my adviser's office who also happens to be my english professor (english is my declared major). We spent more time talking about all the different items in her office and what they represented than we did talking about my spring classes. It's these kind of personal relationships that make my academics improve and give me the chin-up attitude I need to accomplish all the different endeavours I have been taking on as a new college student.

Steffanie

What I have gotten out of my college experience is gratitude and resposibility. I have gotten gratitude by knowing that I can do something greater and attend a college to better my life. I have also gotten resposibility because you are responsible of what you do in college. You are responsible for your grades, your actions, and your life! It has been valuable to attend because it brings you to an understanding that you can do so much with your life and you can be anyone you want to be! College is an amazing experience and I love it!

Ashlee

Attending college has been the most amazing time of my life, its the only thing that keeps me sane. I had a terrible child hood and school was hard on me even in highschool, becasue the outcast or what you would call a loner. When I went to college it gave me something to look foward to, and I loved going to school. just meeting new people that I could actually call friends was thrilling and It made me a better person. It is really hard to afford college even with Student aid, I dont even want to ask my parents for help any more because I know they will say no. My expericenes were wonderful all around, from the help of a single professor to meeting a group of people that can change your lives for the better. Its valuable to me because...it actually saved my life.

This experience ahs been wonderful so far. I love the community of this campus and how much love there is around. The support that I have gotten from everyone is beneficial to my studies, and I'm growing as an individual.

Becca Lynn, I have a few words of advice for you. Prepare yourself for an adventure. You are about to eat, sleep, and practice with your team, while making lifelong friendships. You will become a master at time management, juggling long hours of homework, cramming for tests, hours between classes, softball practice, study hall and life. You will have classes that will challenge you, professors that bore you and professors that will make you passionate about what they are teaching. Remember that college is about new experiences, embrace every opportunity that comes along. You may change your mind several times about your career path, that is ok! If you ever fell overwhelmed, just remember you can accomplish anything you set your mind to! Hard work, Always pays off. Finishing college and receiving your degree will be one of the happiest days of your life. I will be right there with you!