Oskaloosa, IA
William Penn University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend William Penn University

Marisa

My college experience has helped me discover who I am. The first two semesters, in my experience, are confusing; as you are trying to figure out your major. I personally have gone back and forth with many majors and even considered not going to college at all until I was sure what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I am extremely happy with my choice to attend college right out of high school. My mother and father did not go to college. My mother was very ill at my age and weighed about 90 pounds, so was unable to attend college due to her medical needs. My father, more fortunate then my mother, followed through with a career in the Air Force. My mother always tells me how smart of a choice I made by choosing to attend college, and that it will pay for itself later in life.

Calvin

My classmates are very focused on their learning, as well as helping each other as best they can.

I have gotten so precious much out of attending William Penn University. I have developed skills needed to further my working ability. I have gained friends that care. It has been so valuable to attend this college because it has given me the knowledge i need to carry myself proudly. I will have a four year degree that will take me to places i wouldn't be able to go without it. William Penn University offers a great feel for hometown values, and small structured classes that are great for students of all ages, races and sex. Everyone that works at this school genuinely cares about the well being of the students who attend. They are always available to help with anything you may need.

I consider the best thing about my school, the fact that it is a ver small and personal class size, and you can get alot more attention and better participation than a bigger class.

Chandra

If I only knew then what I know now! First off, I would tell myself ?No cell phones in class! How many times do you need to be told, class is only an hour, trust me, nothing your friend has to text you could possibly be more important then what you?re learning.? ?O ya and the embarrassment of getting kicked out 3 times from the same professor is not worth it.? Second, I would tell myself ?Get your lazy butt out of bed an hour before class instead of flying around like a wild tornado trying to brush your teeth and apply mascara, eat cereal while scavenging to find your practice clothes, textbooks, and keys. "Get yourself organized girl!? I would say that one of the biggest pieces of advice for a busy college student trying to transition from high school to college classes, work, practice, and a social life would be time management skills. Utilize the hour breaks in your day to visit the academic resource center, get up before class and eat a healthy breakfast, plan and prepare for the next day before you go to bed at night, its makes things a lot less chaotic!

When I came on a visit to this school, I feel like I found out everything I needed to know. My recruiting visit was very informational.

The kind of person to attend this school should be someone who wants to continue playing a sport after highschool and perfers a small campus to develop more personal relationships. Some one who wants to get involved would attend this school. A lot of out of state students attend this school. I attended this school because I wanted the out of state experience and I was a little spontanious about going to a University in Iowa, who ever goes to Iowa by choice?

Tyler

If i could go back in time to my high school senior year I would tell my self that i should apply for as many scholarships as possible no matter what the odds are of winning them for working full time hours ontop of duing a double major load in college is rough and at all times very demanding. I would also tell myself that it is okay to socialize more with new people and ideas. Socialization is a major factor in helping in the high school to college life transition. This envolves talking to people outside of those who are simply in my classes or in my workplace. To network with those people who are arriving on campus from around the world is vital in progression towards a job career after college and developing life long friendships. In conclusion i would remind high school self that it is important to keep the chin up, any upcoming failures are not the end of the world, and to rise to the occasion and put 200 percent effort towards success in college and in the real world afterwards.

The best thing about my school would be that it is a small campus in a great, peacefull, layed back community. I grew up in this community and am proud to welcome those who are new to this community and this school. The one on on attention level from the proffessors to students is excellent. I am a pure mathematics and business management major and i feel that this small college provides academic rigor and challegenges that help prepare students for the real world. Students and faculty alike are always available to help a student succede in their endeavours.

The most frustrating thing about my school would be that its location in rural iowa can at times seem isolated. My family had moved away from this community upon my high school graduation and at times i feel i am too far from them. It isn't uncommon for students to get homesick in the couple years of school (especually duing the long winter season). There is not much to do in this town to entertain young minds but there is hope for those with access to a vehicle to drive 40 miles to the state capitol for entertainment.

Janna

You will do a great job transitioning to college life. Focus on School, you are not going to make it as a Teacher, switch now before you start. Remain dedicated to your sport, it will teach you more about yourself than anything else. Get involved at school, you will form life-long friendships and meet great people. Call home often, keep those bonds strong! Good Luck, you will love it!

Steve

Penn students are either extremely hard working or pretty lazy, there is not many in between, everyone has their priorities and they are easy to see for the most part.

Kids need to pick whatever school they feel most comfortable in. It may not always be their parents favorite but it is more important that the kid feels at home there. Take as many visits to schools as you can so you can really compare and decide the best place for yourself. Imagine yourself living there for four years. If you can do that and you are happy about it, chances are it would work out well for you. Just remember that school is more than parties, sports, and classes. Classes are the most important but you will meet lots of people who will become your best friends and maybe even your spouse. So find a place you can imagine yourself living in while being able to excel in everything that you do. Shoot for being the best in everything, set your goals high, and then accomplish more than you ever dreamed. The rest of your life starts in college, so start off the rest of your life at the place that's right for you.

People who like living in big cities and like big time schools should not attend as the city is very small as is the school.

Janna

Go on a visit. I give tours to prospective students and the more visits people have been on the better informed they are for college life and are able to prepare for it. Also ask any question that comes to mind matter how stupid you may think it is.

I would have to say that we have a lot of diversity and being the white girl from upper middle class, I get treated like i'm a racist just for being white. I may be upper middle for Idaho, but anywhere else it would be middle middle or lower middle class. Sometime its almost like a reverse form of racism. It makes you feel really uncomfortable when you talk to people or have a disagreement in class. The race card gets pulled quite a bit it feels like sometimes.

I tell them how much I love it here. I have been able to grow so much as a person while still being in an enviornment that allows me to feel at ease. We all refer to it as our "Penn Family", everyone from the President and his wife to the Professers, staff, coachs, housekeeping and even the food services we all seem to know, love and take care of each other. I'm orginally from Idaho so its nice having people to rely on during the tough times.

Traci

I think the college I attend is very unique because of the diversity of students and the professor/student ratio. There are about 25 students maximum to 1 professor so it is easier to learn, ask questions, and see your professor during office hours. Also, as I mentioned before, our school is very diverse. There are many cultures represented at my college and there are also cultural diversion days where we are able to learn more about the other cultures. It is very interesting!

First of all, choose a college that you feel comfortable in! If you feel comfortable around a large group of people choose a large University. If you prefer small settings and prefer to focus on studies, choose a private university! Also, become very responsible for yourself. Don't rely on your advisors to do all of the work for you! Figure some of it out for yourself! Because I took the time to do this I am graduating a year and a half early with my BA in accounting!! College is an amazing experience and enjoy ever minute of it, but most of all, prepare for it as much as you can!

As a high school student, I took many college courses and received college credit for them. I wish I had known more about setting up my schedule for my BA degree. After my first year I figured out that I could graduate a year and a half early by taking summer classes and a large course load my 3rd semester at school. Had I known right away, I wouldn't have had to take so many credits at one time. Although I may save a little money in the long run, summer courses were very expensive!

It doesn't really matter what college you go to, it's what you do when you're there. Just pick a school that fits your personality, take time to go on visits. Where ever you go, you will meet some great friends that will help make your college experience better. Get involved in on campus activities.

I feel like I knew everything I needed to know upon entering this school.

It's very small. It can seem like a high school at times. But I like small.

William Penn University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.