Palatine, IL
William Rainey Harper College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend William Rainey Harper College

Mandy

If I could go back in time to talk to myself about college, I would tell myself to save money to have for when I get into college for unexpected expenses. I would also tell myself to make I studied real hard and pay attention in school. Life will not be easy during the transition time but it will be worth the experience.

Winnifred

Harper College was not one of my choices, but one thing I have noticed that is very unique and impressive is that the faculty, most of the time, is very helpful. When the professors realize you take their class seriously, they help you out more often. The staff at the school is very helpful at answering and addressing questions and concerns I might have.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to do exactly as I had done--to be outgoing and take advantage of every opportunity given to you. I moved out to Los Angeles from Chicago to attend Loyola Marymount University my freshman year of college. I was really upset because I was leaving my home, friends, and family, and was worried I would have difficulties adjusting. I had never been into parties, drinking, and drugs, and was worried I wouldn't be able to make friends because of it. Following the advice of my brother, I joined a sorority, lived in the Healthy Living Community, a housing group with kids who do not drink or smoke, and auditioned for various plays. By doing this, I made so many friends and loved my college experience. However, without my brother, I don't think I would have done it, as I was not willing at first to do any of these things. So, if I were to go back in time, I would tell myself to join these organizations, be outgoing, and meet new people, all while staying true to myself.

I attend a community college this year because I was unable to return to the university I attended as a freshman due to financial reasons. I think one of the worst things about community college, which is one of the reasons why I did not want to go in the first place, is that I believe it is a less supportive atmosphere. I have noticed that many of the students there do not take it seriously, and many of the professors know this. Everyone seems like they are there because they have to be, not because they want to be.

Joe

Harper is recognized as one of the best community colleges in the nation. The classes are valuable, interesting, and challenging. I learn how to become a better person each day I attend Harper. Harper has a reputation for turning troubled students into success stories. I have seen first hand the positive impact that Harper College can make on people's lives.

You?re not the smartest. You?re not the best athlete. You?re not the best looking, the funniest, or the most popular. You won?t be the most intriguing guy on campus next year. You?re just an average Joe. You know what? That is all you need to be. You don?t need to die your hair green or get three tattoos to make friends. You don?t need to drink beer for breakfast to be cool. You don?t need to kiss your teacher?s butt to pass. You just need to be yourself and stay true to who you are. Work hard, keep faith, and enjoy the most exciting period of your life. The most important lessons are not found in chemistry books; you learn new things about life everyday. You won?t grow from a boy to a man next year; growing up is a lifelong process. You won?t win a Heisman trophy or begin work on a Nobel Prize. However, you will go to college and learn every step of the way. Enjoy the ride.

I am lucky to have a true college experience and still live at home. Living at home saves me thousands of dollars and allows me to stay close with my parents, who are my role models. Harper gives people who cannot afford the cost of a university opportunites to attend college and better their lives. All people are given the chance to chase their dreams at Harper College.

Dan

My school is alot like high school due to the fact that I go to school with many of my former classmates, but I do like the freedom of being responsible for going to class and the frredom to pick my classes and the times I take them.

My classmates come in a broad range of ages, because I am in a community college but I think it helps bring many view points to each class.

If I could talk to myself as a senior in high school I would say that I need to prepare myself to be responsible for all aspects of my life. There will be not be as structured a routine as there is in high school. I would also say that I need to be serious about my work from the beginning because each class costs money and I need to pass each class so I do not have to take them over again. I also would say even though I would still be living at home for the first couple of years I need to prepare myself for living on my own in the future and all that entails.

Kaley

I am not so sure that my school is paricularly unique. I guess you could say all community colleges are unique when compared to universities simply because of the diverse makeup of the student body, and the reasons for why all of the students have decided to attend. The one thing that makes my school stand out is that it is recognized as one of the top ten community colleges in North America. When I got out of highschool this was the only school I considered because I am financially responsible for all of my higher education.

If I could go back in time and share a cup of coffee with my "senior" self as it were, it would go something like this: Kaley, you have a lot to learn, and even more growing up to do. You care far too much about what other people think. Your top priority is making sure that you stay smack in the middle of that shallow in-crowd, and you neglect everything that you should mean the world to you. I don't think you have grasped the fact that being in highschool is about getting a good education not about who you call your friends. Did you know that you won't be talking to hardly any of those girls you call your "besties" in about two years? Which reminds me you really need to start saving your money and planning for college because you know it will all fall on you. I know you want to go to a big fancy university but get over that because community college is practical and then you can transfer. Trust me its not so bad once you get used to it so stop pouting about it and learn to deal.

If my friends ever ask me about Harper College then I usually tell them that it has a very good science program and it is extremely affordable. I would also mention that it is very convenient so that you can schedule classes and work around each other, and it is near my home so that I have an easy commute.

Paul

My classmates are an array of true individuals.

My classmates are an array of true individuals.

In talking to my former self I would make it known, the importance of higher education. As well as the importance to maintain focus on my goals and pursue my passions.

Harper College has an extremely diverse population of students. The staff as well of the students are a very open-minded community. It is my opinion that anyone could make a place for themselves at Harper. The kind of person that may not want to attend would have to be someone with very limited ideals of equality.

Kimberly

My school is best known for it's volleyball team and recent expansion. It's a community college and yet still offers tons of majors and associates degrees. It has a beautiful campus also.

It is small yet houses tone of majors.

Calm down!!! Everything is going to be fine. You'll somehow finish all of your applications and financial aid on time. I know there isn't much time to do everything but somehow it will all work out. You'll light up like a bulb when your acceptance letters stream through the mail to your house and sprint to tell your parents you got accepted! As worried as you'll be for the first day of classes your be overly excited too. After the first day, everything will fall into place. You'll get lost for awhile but dont worry. After you run and grab a map everything will be fine. You'll start a routine and occassionally fall out of it. There will be all-night studying and last minute essays but in the end, all your hard work will pay off.

Philip

It is best know for their classes and education because almost all of their classes are transferable to any school and the classes are relatively cheap.

I would tell myself to take a lot of writing classes. The is a lot of writing in college and personally I was not prepared for it. My senior year consisted of a few blow-off classes, or also known as "easy A" classes. I had the opportunity in high school to take a class called "Senior Composition" but decided to take a blow off class instead. I lost out on a good opportunity to fully develop my writing skills. Once I got into college, I began to struggle with writing papers in all of my classes. I had to then put more time and effort into meeting with teachers and tutors outside of classes to learn how to write papers properly. This made my life a lot more stressful and hectic. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to take the writing class, so that my papers would be a lot better.

I did a lot of research before I chose which school I would attend, which answered all of the questions I had about the school.

Harper College has an open and welcoming atmosphere that allows you to explore your educational aspriations while saving money for the future.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to open my mind and explore all possible options for college. I would tell myself that I need to visit as many colleges as possible, and apply to every college that sparked my interest. During senior year I did not take the opportuinity to explore my options, or apply to enough colleges. Knowing how much my friends enjoyed going away to school has made me regret not taking part in a wide college search as well. In addition, I would tell myself that keeping an open mind is ultimately more rewarding than being set in my ways. Ultimately, college is a time to explore your individuality and freedom. If I was able to talk to myself when I was a senior I would have stressed the need to explore this freedom and go away to college to find out more about myself. Although I was unable to tell this to myself, I can now share this information with all my friends and family who are emabrking on their own college searches.

A course is only $90 per credit hour, making Harper an affordable option for education. If you do not know what major you want to pursue, Harper allows you to explore many options without breaking the bank.

Allison

An amazing education for a reasonable price.

An amazing education for a reasonable price.

Open to meet new people and make friends.

Going back in high school as a senior I would tell myself that it doesn't matter of how well known your college is; what matters is how you apply yourself and your education to use for life.

William Rainey Harper College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.