William Rainey Harper College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for William Rainey Harper College

Kathryn

It's a very nice school that I enjoyed the years I was there. Very helpful staff, there were a lot of good resources. Many I did not take advantage of in the time I took classes, but to know they are there for me if I need them, later on, is very comforting. The classes are also a lot cheaper than a 4-year school, which is always great, and there's a very good financial aide team if needed.

Lan

Harper College is a great place to start, I don't have any regrets starting out here instead of going to a big university in the city. The teachers I have had were great, they genuinely care about my success which meant a lot to me as a student and motivated me to excel. The school is going through some constructions at the moment so there are many things I have not gotten to experience that the newer students will, such as the new library, the fitness center, and the new study wings. There are many places to go to for some quiet study time, if you get the chance, explore the campus, it's really beautiful.

Jesus

I think it is a great school to attend because of the different opportunities and clubs that are offered here. There are teachers who look forward to advancing you in the right direction by providing office hours at different times to help accommodate for an individuals unique schedule.

Seth

Harper Community College is a great community college. However, it is a Community College. Students keep separate lives, don't play sports associated with the school, but it is a great place to pass through on the way to your next step in life. If you have a plan Harper is great, if you don't you'll most likely find yourself lost taking general education classes.

Mario

Harper College is a nice community college to go to if you want to be in a nice, calm environment. Most of the staff at Harper is very nice and are very responsive when you need help. The tutoring service and writing center are very helpful if you're struggling. Food is a bit expensive for it to just be average. Overall, Harper is a good college to start.

Lindsey

Harper is a great junior college. It's really big, and there are many things to get involved in.

Kayli

I like it overall, there is a quad which kind of makes it feel like a real four year university campus, they keep care of the trees and grass and flowers outside so in spring it looks nice. There are two Starbucks on campus which is a huge plus for me. Majority of the professors are very helpful and encouraging with high grades and office hours.

Tarquis

Honestly, I never thought about attending a community college such as Harper. However my opinion quickly changed after I started attending this school. The teachers are pretty awesome, lots of friendly people around making the environment feel a lot safer. I highly recommend anyone looking for a great community college to attend Harper.

Kacey

Harper College is an incredible school. The professors know how to help their students and are extremely knowledgable. The campus is safe and the students are friendly. There is an incredible amount of opportunities to join clubs or make your own.

Angelika

Harper College is on the higher end of community colleges. In fact I lived out of district when I attended but was able to get in-district tuition by working in-district, which it is very easy to find a job in-district considering Woodfield Mall is right by the school and they are always hiring. Harper is a very clean school and is up to date with it's technology and class rooms. They are constantly remodeling and renovating and under construction which is a bad and good thing. Good thing is everything looks or will look really nice and that makes for a nice environment to study in. Bad thing is construction can be annoying and they do bill you for construction fees in your tuition, even if you don't stay long enough to see the final product, but then again someone else payed for the construction that was done to build your classrooms so can't complain there. Every teacher I had was good, but make sure to always use rate my professor to see their ratings, it has never failed me. All the teachers were always good at replying to emails quickly and they all had office hours so they were easily reachable. The tutoring center was also a good resource for students who didn't understand a subject. Sports wise, it's more of playing for fun. If you're okay or good at a sport and just like to play I would highly recommend trying out for a team. College is basically your last chance to be a part of a team so why not take advantage of it. Harper has a pretty easy going yet competitive vibe to its sports. It's definitely a fun time and the coaches are all cool and you get to visit the athletic trainer whenever you want/need. Aside from sports, when it comes to buying books for classes don't be so quick to buy them. I have wasted so much money on books that were supposedly required but turns out we never used them. And if you do need a book, rent it online it will be cheaper than the bookstore 95% of the time. Overall, Harper is a great school. I have heard rumors that this two year school is going to become a four year school in the near future, and I can deffinitely see this happening considering how big the campus is and how updated it is. I would highly recommend joining clubs and getting involved with activities that reflect your major so that more doors can open for you in your future. Harper most definitely provides all the resources one needs to succeed, if only you want to. I recommend going to Harper college if you are looking into community colleges.

Christian

So far, Harper isn't quite that bad of a school as everyone I know makes it up to be. Maybe it's because of the reputation of it being a community college, and how most people aren't open to the idea of going there. I, for one, think that it's a great place. There aren't any minuses, save for there being no dorms, but what's the harm in that? Everything else, the atmosphere to the experience that it gives is equal to what a university can give. Friendly people, lots of interesting professors. And sure it'll be difficult. No college education is a cake walk. And if it is difficult, that means it's worth focusing and succeeding. Why? It's because it's preparing you for a future that you will struggle with, no doubt. Think of it this way. College is like a barrier standing between you and the real world. It emulates a few characteristics of it, like responsibilities and such. Inside you're taught how to succeed in a certain, aspired course. Then once you're out there, that barrier will recede, and you'll see the real world as it really is. But having been to college reminds you that you know what you're doing, that you know you're in charge of what becomes of you in life. But you are reassured that you'll do well.

Eri

Overall, I loved Harper College. The tuition was not as crazy as other colleges, it is local, most of the professors are kind and open-minded, and the environment itself was friendly and comfortable. The library is being remodeled right now but that used to be my favorite place to go to read, study, and daydream. I loved all of the study areas built for the students. My time at Harper passed by so quickly, and I believe that I have not fully comprehended that two years had already gone by. Technically, my graduation would be in Spring 2018, but since I met all of my graduation requirements, I earned my Associate in Science and graduated from Harper College right after Fall 2017. My college life at Harper College was amazing. If there is one thing it could improve on, it would be the Access and Disability Services Office. My best friend who has a learning disability and currently attending Harper, has told me that she has been struggling in classes because the office is not helping much. It is not fair, she did not ask for this disadvantage and even her classmates are refusing to help her. The school needs to improve on reaching out to each and every student, but especially the disabled students. The wall of differences and labels need to be broken down, because there are students who feel inferior and incompetent just because the surrounding people discourage and avoid them, that is just wrong. Most students and faculty members are great people, but the school should really encourage social activities, programs and such to bring everyone closer together. The school is not only a place to learn, but a place where students can feel safe and inspired. I just hope something is done. I cannot transfer to WIU at ease until I know my best friend feels safe and accomplished. I personally loved my time at Harper, but there are students like my best friend, who is struggling, and they need support.

Isabella

Harper College is a good school. They offer many classes and those credits are easily transferred to 4 year universities. Professors have posted office hours and the campus is beautiful. I have never been to the cafeteria, but the Subway and Starbucks on campus are both great.

Olena

It is absolutely unique abode which welcomes warmly every single student or teacher or just visitor. The campus workers did everything in order to create safe environment, where people can study, work or just have fun. There college is spacious, so 5000 students feel OK and college doesn't seem crowded. You can also find 4 cafeterias, hence you will never feel hungry. All in all, the college is the great place to be.

Maggie

Going into Harper, I had a really negative mindset. You'll hear that it isn't a "real college" and that there's "nothing to do." I've found this to be not only untrue, but the exact opposite- there is so much to do. However, whether or not you choose to partake in these activities and extracurriculars is on you. Whether you go to U of I or Harper, at the end of that day it's your choice as to how you want your experience to be. Yes, it's a commuter college so you may need to try harder to get involved with sports or clubs, but if all you do is go home directly after class then of course you're going to think it has "nothing to do." Harper, like any college, is what you make it. And I am so glad I decided to go here first.

Bianca

Harper College is a great place to go to school if you only want to get college credit for cheaper. Otherwise, it isn't really a great place to get the college experience people wish for. Sports are not a big thing, meeting new people is hard and there is no housing available. Otherwise the professors are great people that will help you if you seek help. The campus also has some great resources and it is very accepting of people's differences.

After attending Harper College for almost 2 years, I can safely say that I have enjoyed my time there. The campus itself is very nice, modern, and well kept. The atmosphere is comfortable, and a majority of the professors I've had are wonderful. I highly recommend this school, and I'm honestly quite sad to leave.

Tom

Whats good: big campus very nice and parking usually available. Teachers are very good. You can learn a lot. It's affordable. You can learn a lot. Whats not: disability services poor here so is wifi. Bookstore and food service overpriced and food is inedible.

Kanae

It receives bad reputation for being a community school, but I simply enjoy it. It’s affordable, hands on learning experience, and it has taught me for the real world. I love the academics, programs, affordability, and accessibility. I have made great friends attending this college and learning SO much! It’s a fantastic credited school!

Saul

This community college is a phenomenal community college that has a lot to offer and provides students with all the necessary resources to achieve his associates degree or to transfer to a university. Very safe, very strong academic foundation, and very good faculty as well as amazing students.

Omar

It is my first year here, I love it so far! There’s been so much help provided from the school. From my professors to my counselor. They really help me stay on the right track for I can complete this chapter of my life and move on to the next. Great school, I’ve definitely told some of my younger friends to not underlook Harper. It’s a great start for your general education and core classes. This place is here for us, it’s here to help us shape our life’s into the careers we look forward to.

Shanice

Harper College is nice environment. Harper College is a pretty diverse campus.

Courtland

This is a great community college. Classes are small allowing for more 1 on 1 interactions with the professors. There is free student tutoring and jobs on campus. Harper really does preapre you to be a adult. Even if you aren't decided on your major, you are sure to find your passion at harper since classes range from music to on hands nursing programs. The facilities are constantly upgrading allowing it to be high tech and more modern.

Tess

Harper is an amazing college. The academics are outstanding. The professors really care about their students and with the small class sizes, the professors can really work with the students to make sure they understand the material. The organizations on campus are also amazing.

Veronica

I like how the professors genuinely care and prepare their students well for transferring to a 4 year university. I also love the beautiful campus (the nature paths, the library, and the center for new students) and the general type of people who go there (poor social life because hard workers). I dislike the lack of things to do outside of class though. When you're not studying, there's really not much to do other than go to the Starbucks or to Woodfield Mall.

Ayanna

Harper College is a very good community college, compared to the other ones in the area. The education is fine. I love that it's a pretty big campus to me so it makes it feel like I am at an actual college. Most of the teachers I have had have been great.

Mario

The school is very involved with everything. There are students who dedicate their free time with clubs and sports and enjoy it. There are some students that work on campus and do it happily. The professors teach enthusiastically and help students do well. The school is great.

Thomas

William Rainey Harper College is a fantastic community college to get an associates degree or certificate. With Faculty that goes above and beyond for students, modern facilities, and a low price tag, Harper is a great choice for summer courses or return degree programs as well. With hundreds of programs and degrees, Harper allows you to get what you need to get done at your own pace. Students very relax, no one will bug you if you want to do your own thing but you will find most all the students to be very pleasant. Finishing my second year at Harper College and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for alternatives to four tear universities or simply to return to college for a class or two.

Oleg

One of the best community colleges. Classes that are offered here are up to par with classes offered in higer tier colleges. Could work on events and activities outside of school that the students could be involved in. There are clubs, but most of the time, the people organizing them don't even know themselves when they are meeting and how to even join, which is disappointing.

Desiree

Harper has so many resources and is so very supportive of the students. The campus is in a beautiful setting with natural waters and woods. There are so many peaceful locations inside and outside to study and complete homework. You are really set up to win at Harper. Even though it is a two year college, there are partnerships through the University Center with DePaul in Chicago, Northern Illinois University and others to complete a bachelor degree. You can even earn a Master of Nursing degree on the Harper campus.

Jacqueline

I think that Harper is a great school. They offer a wide array of programs. As someone who enrolled in classes at Harper immediately following high school graduation and is again choosing to take classes there 10 years later as I further my career, I am a big advocate for students using their facility to start and advance themselves academically.

Yuka

Harper College is a great community college for all students. The school is diverse and makes it a safe place for many people. The campus is also very nice with the somewhat newer library and welcoming interior and exterior overall. It's hard to make strong friendships like 4-year universities, however, its a lot easier to reach out to professors for academic help.

Dakota

Harper offers a good education with only a few disappointing professors. Efforts are made to make the social environment feel less commuter, and it works. Food options and other amenities are appreciated and perfectly sufficient for the amount of time most students spend on campus.

Alison

I love everything about Harper College. They are incredibly accepting and supportive of all their students. Teachers go above and beyond for their students. I think of Harper College as a second home. I am very fortunate and grateful that I was able to attend William Rainey Harper College.

Simran

I am a current student at Harper College. Harper is seen as a two-year college, a stepping stone to transfer in the future, or a place to study when you want to reassess your major. I like the campus and you're able to tell that the professors care. ALWAYS check rate my professor before you take a class.

I really enjoyed my experience at Harper College. The class sizes were great and the professors were awesome. They try not to act like they are better than you, but act more like a colleague helping you succeed. One of the only things I am critical of is their counseling; in my experience and a majority of other students I've spoke with, I've found that they really want you to stay as long as possible. I had AP credit and they still wanted me to retake those classes to "review the material". Other than that Harper College is a great institute to obtain your associates degree, and they also have awesome opportunities to receive a Bachelors degree through four-year schools on Harper's campus for discounted rates. THAT is awesome.

Rigert

All in all. This is a solid choice to start your college career or get back into it. Harper offers a wide range of courses with varying mediums of how they teach them. Campus Safety is great and there is always a major project happening. Both students and most professors are both helpful and insightful either in class, the tutoring center, or during office hours. If I were to say some negatives about this institution, there isn't really much of a sports program if you are into that. Additionally, myself and others students feel that the extracurricular programs need some more work to be fully developed. However, everything else is solid and Harper is great for practically all students

Glory

Harper College is one of the best community colleges out there. The teachers are all so nice and available at all times. The new library is also a great addition to the campus. The only thing that I would complain about is that there isn't a lot of places to eat on campus. We only have subway and starbucks, wish we had more.