Wingate University Top Questions

Elisabeth

When you arrive on campus, make sure that you are nice the the cafeteria workers and they will give you service with a smile, you also might even make their day. Make sure you wait to buy your books, becuase you may change your class at the last minute or you may not even need the book that you bought. Get as involoved within the campus community as you can because those who are involved are known, which can help when you need something done or when you need resources. Don't exclude yourself to just a small group of friends becuae that can cause you to be narrow minded about people. Listen well to your professors because they always say things that are on the test that you just managed to not write down. Lastly, don't lose your campus ID card, otherwise you will not get to eat until you get a new one.

As a high school senior, I would have loved to push myself to move across the country my first year of college., I would have told myself not to be doubtful or scared. Meeting new people while living in a place far from what I know is a once in a lifetime experience. I would have told myself that going to a small private college will benefit you in the long run. Putting myself in an unfamiliar atmosphere forced me to break out of my shell and to become more social, as well as more involved on campus. College is more than just parties (something you might find at State schools), and it's more about preparing yourself for the future both socially and academically. Branching out from what you like to do and who you like to be with will only benefit you in the long run through life.

Natalya-Charnaye

Don't question or second guess your ability to survive in college. You're smart and you always have been. Don't give up on college, your dreams, or yourself. Trouble doesn't last always and the end of your storm is coming soon. You'll get your chance to prove yourself to everyone who said you couldn't make it. Never lose hope and don't lose your faith because sometimes it takes being broken completely down to be built back up. Don't worry about momma and the little ones, they will be just fine. It's time to start living for yourself and chasing after what you really want. The family will always be behind you, every step of the way. Not everyone understands where you came from, so learn how to hold your head up and keep a smile on your face. Things always seem better when you're smiling. Love yourself and things will fall into place. You'll find your place in the world and you'll love it. And the biggest thing... Always do what's best for you and sometimes it's the most painful thing to do.

Anthony

Calm down and quit worrying yourself. Don't procrastinate, you'll save yourself quite a few migraines that way. The greatest advice, however, is to not let your guard down, you have a good first semester but letting yourself grow over confident will cause so many problems for you. Breathe. And listen to your advisors they know what they are doing and trying to help.

Erin

I was incredibly fortunate to attend a college preparatory high school, so the transition was much smoother than most of my peers. I would ultimately like to go back in time to when I was in ninth grade and finishing my sophomore year, because I was not involved on campus as I could have been, and I had much more free time than I could ever think about having now that I am at a university. If I could, I would advise myself to invest more time in pleasure reading, extra-curriculars, and applying for scholarships during my earlier years of high school.

Mayah

The advice I would give myself would be to focus and study study study. College seems just like high school but it is totally different. Even though you know think studying alone can work get tutors even if you get the material. Work hard!

The transition from high school to college would have been a lot easier if I would have realized the importance of studying and taking well developed notes. When I came to college, I basically had to teach myself the correct way to study because I struggled at the beginning. After getting a little help from some professors, I was able to master the art of studying in a more effective way. Also the key to being successful is good note taking skills. With out those skills, it is very easy to become lost in a lecutre, and have no clue what to even begin writing now. If I would have taken my senior year a little more seriously, my transition would have been ten times smoother.

Laurie

I would tell myself a lot, actually. I would say that I'm about to have a wonderful experience and I should embrace it. I should allow it to happen instead of trying to avoid certain parts of it. I should be outgoing and open. I should face my shyness head on. I should forget about people judging me and just have a good time. I'd tell myself that drama exists but finding good friends can get you through anything. I'd tell myself to give people more chances. I'd tell myself to bring more photos with me. Not having my friends and family around me in some sort of way was a bad idea. I would tell myself to expect change. Just because I'm gone doesn't mean everyone else's lives just stop. I would remind myself that I'll sleep enough when I'm dead, because getting my normal eight hours just isn't going to happen again. Overall I'd recommend that I push myself in every part of life, because that's what you're supposed to do in college--stretch, shape, and form your true self.

cherrie

If I could go back to high school I would tell myself stop focusing on those boys. Life is not as easy as you think it is, apply for college and go, work hard and save your money. Get your education while you are young and still remember how to do algebra, it only gets harder, especially as you become older. Do not have children in high school, that will come and be much easier financially if you go to college and get your education first. Be positive and do not give up on yourself, college is possible.

Somalia

Back in high school I didn't have the best study habits, so advice that I would have given myself is to develop great study habits now because they will be vital when you get to college especially being a biology major. Another thing that I would tell myself is to stop procrastinating. Procrastination has been my worst enemy in my first year of college. It has cause me so much stress and quite a few over nighters. The last thing that I would tell myself is to limit the time that I work during the week. I started working at a grocery store part time my senior year of high school, and I still work there now. The time that I spent working is time that I could have spent studying my notes.

Destiny

As an upcoming college freshman, I was excited; no one could steal this excitement from me. I could not have been more ready, until I was about ten minutes from Wingate University. There are many thoughts going through my head at this point. The biggest questions I am asking myself are, “Am I going to make any friends at this place,” “What if I do not get along with my roommates?” I only have one word of advice, be yourself! You are going to be in the same position as everyone else; no one has friends at this point and everyone has the first-year jitters. If you are yourself, you will quickly find friends and your roommate(s) will appreciate your identity. Finding your identity during college is a journey in itself, but it all comes easy when you are yourself. Learning to be yourself is the best gift you can give yourself and everyone around you. No one wants to hide behind a mask and feel suffocated. Love yourself for who you are and embrace it! The truth is, the real you is better than the fake you. The first-year jitters are normal, just be yourself!

Tricia

Tricia, do not worry about your mom and dad wanting you to go to college right after high school. At this moment, you are not mature enough to decide what you want to study and you lack the confidence needed to survive in the adult world. Focus on getting a good job that will help you grow up and become confident in yourself. When you do get to college, expect a bit of the same thing as grade school. The main difference is you get more freedom, and you decide when to do homework. This will be a good and bad thing. Stick to doing your homework as soon as you can, like you have done before. You will also need to learn how to study well and accept that writing essays are unavoidable. If you do not do well in a class, take it in perspective of the whole picture. Also, try to stick to one major. Changing majors will affect your scholarships and you lose money that way. May I suggest something that will teach elementary children? Trust me, you will love it more than chemistry.

Ryyadyance

Tven though you have made it through school with good grades its still going to have to strive for work because things are getting hardder so go to college for something that is in high demand. Dont get discouraged on your jouney.

victoria

I would tell myself to take a deep breath. In high school, the idea of college terrified me, it felt like being thrown into the lion's pit. There were a lot of unexpected things about college that I didn't realize and taking the time to research various schools and classes would have been helpful.

stephanie

If I could go back and tell myself one thing during my senior year, it would be dont take time for granted. Every senior spends their year complaining about how they are ready to be out of school, but truthfully you will wish you had just one more year when this year comes to an end. You will miss all of your friends and the memories that you made, the clubs that you were apart of, and the people that you might never see again. Something that you also need to do in this precious time is learn to manage your time in college this is HUGE. Learn how to study, what study skills work best for you and how you can make the best grades possible. Responsability is also one of the things that you will find to challange you the most, this is key in college because you have to make the responsable decision to do your homework at night and to wake up for school in the morning because your parents arent gonna be there to force you to do it. And most importantly just remember to be you and dont let anyone make you change.

Whitney

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would tell myself that I would have to focus more, and learn not to procrastinate. I would also try to have better study habits, so that it would have been a smoother transition from highschool to college. I would also tell myself not to be so nervous, because everything would work out because there are so many places to get help if I would need it. If I could go back I would tell myself that I would meet new people and that the professors are very helpful. Something I love about college is that the classes are very engaging and fun. I love going to class, and I love the campus. The only other advice I could give myself would be to have fun and enjoy it, because the time passes by extremely fast.

Eileen

Right out of college, I was a perfectionist who felt a lot of pressure to know exactly what I wanted and how to get there. I worked full-time and had little time to myself or to spend with friends. Only after an injury slowed me down did I take the time to explore my interests and create hobbies as well as develop strong friendships. I now know the importance of a balanced lifestyle and that perfection is as rarely necessary as it is achievable. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would play the song “Que Sera Sera” and tell myself to slow down. I would tell the younger version of me that you don’t always have to be driving at full speed – it’s okay to take the time to enjoy the ride.

Nina

I would tell myself to as many scholarships as possible. I would've gave myself a pep-talk on being more involved in school in the community. I would have told myself to apply myself a little more as I had the brains to become the valedictorian if I really wanted to. I'd tell myself to volunteer more and always have a smile on! A smile is the best thing a girl can wear right?

Abigail

Some advice I would give my highschool self is get started on shopping even earlier because you do NOT want to be rushing to get everything done at once. Before packing make a list of what you need and keep adding to the list as you go. Make sure not to cross anything of until it is packed, otherwise it might get left behind. As far as when you actually get to your campus on move-in day, don't worry about living with someone you don't know, just strike up a conversation with your roommate to get tensions out of the room. Also, don't worry about the whole friend-making thing because once you get into orientation, you'll meet plenty of people. Just make sure to strike up some conversations with people and if people say hi to you say hi back and introduce yourself. It's a great way to start a friendship. Hope this helps!

Clarice

Clarice, dropping out of high school was a great idea. Stay at LCC and talk to the U of O councelors. You can go to university. Your high school counselor is a racist incompetant boob who shouldn't be allowed around children. Save your money, take out loans now before the system crumbles irreparably and there's no one left to help you. Toodles.

Tylan

I would tell myself to enter more scholarships. Although college is expensive, it doesn't have to be! Scholarships are an easy way to pay for college and should never be overlooked. I would also tell myself to be more outgoing and get more involved. I would love to play college sports, but have no experience at all. I should have gotten more involved back in high school when I had the chance! Lastly, I would tell myself not to get overwhelmed. College is a big transition and may be expensive, but everything will eventually fall into place. We may have college debts in the future, but with what we learn during our years here, we can do anything we put our minds to!

Katy

It's okay to be wrong, the goal is to learn. You don't have to be perfect. It's okay to change your major. It's okay if you're at the wrong college at first. It's okay if you take a class you don't need. It's okay if you don't get along with your room mate. Don't stress. When you're wrong, it's just a wonderful chance to learn, which is what you're supposed to be doing anyways. Ask questions. Seek advice. Don't be afraid to look naive or stupid. You're a freshman, you're not expected to know everything. Don't get so caught up in trying to be perfect and look like you have it all together that you miss out on the chance to learn from those who are older and wiser than you. Enjoy the present; learning and soaking up information and wisdom everywhere you can. Don't focus so much on the future (or the past), wishing it was next month, semester or year. You'll miss out on the beauty of the moment. Be wrong, mess up, learn from it and enjoy yourself.

Lynn

If I could go back in time, I would insist on caring a great deal more about academics as a high school senior. Personally, I think that it takes a long time to truly grow up in this life. I would give myself advice on going away to college rather than living rather close to home, which gave me ample opportunity to go home when I wanted to. I would also give myself advice to continue my education through graduate school before getting married and having children. I would not be in such a rush to marry and settle down. I would have an improved 'reach-for-the-stars' attitude.

I would realize that college is not the answer to all or any of the problems/situations you have in your life. And that it also does not hold all the answers. That alocohol and other substances and drugs are never ever the answer to getting by.

Jeremy

Go into College with an open mind; never turn something down because it is foreign to you. There are many opportunities that arose in the first couple of weeks, opportunities that I turned down because of the fear to try something different than what I was accustomed too. Many organizations will want you to participate or help in activities that they are setting up. These opportunities are can vary from helping set up a school dance to passing out rosters before a football game. You never know what opportunity my arise and if you keep an open mind to these type of events then I guarantee that you will meet new people, learn about your school, and find out things about yourself that you might have never found out otherwise. Keeping an open mind is a key to making the most of your college experience.

Victoria

When choosing your college, be sure to make the time to include studies and balance work and personal life, accordingly. This is because going to college is to be considered a fulltime job, with part-time work options, and family as a secondary emphasis. The payoff, after graduation of each term, will be the time that can be devoted to adding work hours to your schedule, and extra family or extra-curricular activities. Should you find yourself leaning towards a different career path after a few semesters, check in with a college advisor or career counselor to find the best alternatives to your college coursework. You may find that your interests grow, with more time in school, and that is ok, but never give up. Remember that tutors are always available to help you when you get stuck, and do not be afraid to ask for help. Develop study teams to bounce off ideas or study strategies. Seek out internships in your field to gain a working perspective of the field you wish to work in. College is enjoyable in so many ways, and is the platform for the rest of your life, if you let it be.

Matthew

Be sure to work as hard as you can in high school starting in the 9th grade because your grades help you get financial aid. Try to make as many friends as you can and find a good solid group of people to go to church with consistently. Don't procrastinate on doing your work. Do it right away.

Achieving my Associates of Arts Degree from Valencia Community College has allowed me to broaden my educational horizon. I have completed a degree in general studies with a focus in Public Administration. My time spent has allowed me to better prepare myself to further my education at the University of Central Florida, seeking a Bachelors Degree in Public Administration with a minor in Political Sciences. I firmly believe that my education has and will continue to prepare me for the vigorous workforce within politics. I plan to join the armed forces upon graduation and, after my time in the military, pursue a career within politics. My education from Valencia and what I expect from UCF is helping to make my dreams a reality. My education is my stepping stone for the rest of my life.

Joyce

Since I have been at Wingate I have learned there is more to college than recieving an education. The relationships that I have made with fellow classmates and teachers has been something different for me. In high school I was never as outgoing and willing to socialize as I am now. I value the moments I had and the moments I'll never forget in the upcoming years. Wingate is my second home and I am glad I chose to attend. There is nothing better than going to school and not wanting to leave.

Hannah

Since being enrolled as a college student at Wingate University, I have learned a lot about myself and others. One can never be prepared enough for college, it has definitely been an eye-opening experience. for me and others. I think that I have tried to make the best of this first "freshman" year in school. I have participated in many activities with classmates and friends. I have had to understand that money doesn't come easy, you work hard to stay where your at, and you never go down without a fight. One can never be one's worst enemy, you have to stand up for yourself and what you think is right. Never tell yourself that you can't do something because you feel dumb or not smart enough, because if you put your heart and mind into it, you can get the job done.

Christopher

Although I was a highly motivated, academically excellent, and community involved high school student, I was also naive regarding college credit courses offered by my school district. Beginning with my freshman year, I could have enrolled in PSO, Post Secondary Option, classes through The University of Akron and accumulated electives toward my desired degree. Instead, I chose to pursue all mathematics and science Advanced Placement offerings, which enhanced my GPA but did nothing to lessen my college costs or work load. Since I have been admitted to Wingate University's School of Pharmacy, a six year program, both would have been helpful. Therefore, if I could return to high school with my newly acquired knowledge, I would proceed with PSO classes to complete my English and humanities degree requirements.

Transiting into college can be the worst or best time of your life, depending on how you feel about it. Upperclassman college students plant horrible images of freshman year into young minds but really, freshman year is the most important and unforgettable time in becoming acquainted with your school. First off, stop worrying about making new friends; everyone is in the same position as you, do not forget that! When you finally make your first friends, those friendships are for life. Some friendships and that old flame from high school will end, but it?s OK., those new friends will be right there with you. Second, get involved! Rather it is clubs, campus jobs, or greek life, getting involved is a great way to meet people and become associated in the community. However, do not forget about your schoolwork; it comes first! College isn?t high school; you actually have to study and you can?t procrastinate! Do anything to get organized; buy a planner and set goals such as the President?s list. The most important advice though is not to get overwhelmed. Everything will happen so fast at first but it calms down, trust me.

Dynasty

When I found out my senior year that i had gotten into college, I started to slack off on my school work. I passed all of my classes that i had but i did not pass my Advanced Placement tests. If I could go back I would tell myself to keep up with my studies. High school is not over until you walk across that stage and receive you diploma. Do not give up and the work will pay off in college.

Alex

That i should have moved away from home sooner. My senior year i didnt know what i wanted to do for a career and i didn't even know where i wanted to go to college yet. I wish i could go back in time and tell myself to move down to NC sooner. The opportunities down here are endless for work in the field that i want to get into. I could have also prepared myself for the life of being alone and not being able to see my family but twice a year, a week for christmas and a week in the summer. That gets tough with a 7 year old sister and i wish i could have transitioned better with that.

Kadie

As a senior in high school, I would tell myself to find what you want to do in life. Instead of working hard for something your parents and family may have wanted for you to do all through college, decide on your own what your hobbies are. Working hard when you frist arrive at college to further your future will provide you with a sense of confidence in that you can do anything you want. As a senior, I felt that I could just get by with my classes until graduation in May. In college though, it is difficult to just "get by." You have to work hard, especially going to a small private school. With a one-on-one professor-student relationship, take advantage of it. It is their job to provide you an education and further your future so don't rely on making average in college. Stive for excellence.

Teyona

Don't get to caught up in the party scene. Know what you want out of your life before you go to college. If you make a mistake dont be afraid to admit you did and need help. Tutoring is offered so that you can succeed and you need to take advantage of it. know that the party life is not all that it seems to be, school should always come first no matter what the situation may be. Also know that mom and dad arent around to help clean up after all of your mistakes, life and your first year in college will be hard and you need to start preparing for it.

Rebecca

Be open to starting something new. All the imagining and role playing in the world is not going to prepare you for the changes both externally and internally you're going to go through once you start college. Don't be afraid to ask for help, everyone around you is dealing with it too even though they all act tough. Find an outlet that isn't alchohal. It's not a solution, it simply is adding another step to the problem once you do decide to solve it. Remember to love yourself and the woman you will become over the next four years.

Brandon

I would suggest that they look at school size as being more than a social life factor. Size of the school tells a lot about the type of one on one help the student can get, the type of relationships with professors, and the amount the administration will care about the needs of the student. The trend might be to go to a big school so you have lots of chances to fit in but I believe the small school where student are not overwhelmed and see each other around campus helps students find their niche. Also, I would put more wieght on the proximity of the school to home. I did not think I wanted to be close and it turned out that I loved it. Dropping in and spending time with my family is more important to me than ever before. As for the college experience I think students have to make a true effort to step out of their comfort zones, especailly when arriving at school. Everyone is nervous and reaching out to make friends only strengthens the school community.

chelsea

The little things matter too....dont overlook anything because choosing the right college is important :-)

Look at the campus life and make sure the college of your choice has all of the classes for your major.

Makenna

Let your children decide on their own college they wish to attend. Letting students make their own decisions helps them to become more independent and more willing to succeed if they are able to decide on the college they wish to attend. As of finding the right college, students should know whether or not they wish to attend a large university with more students' or a smaller university where there is more guidance and assistance for the students' if it is needed. Also students' and parents' should know how far the university is away from home. Some student's want to move far away and some want to remain close. The geographical location of a college should be important when deciding because that may determine how happy a child is at that particuluar university. It is important to hav e a social life and get involved on campus, but academics is the real reason why people attend college. It is fun to party and be social and is imporatnt for getting to know fellow students', but students' need to find a balance betweeen social life and academics. College is an exciting time and is a time of growth and learning.

Leyila

The decision to go to college is a large one. So far I have spent 5 semesters at college and it has been the best time of my life. I love college! I hope that all students could experience college the way I have. I think that choosing the school right for you is what shapes your experience at college. With that in mind, there are many things that should be considered when making the decision on where to go. Counselors in high schools consistently harp on the educational aspects which are very important. It is important to know that the college you choose has your major, the class size you desire, the minors you like, among other academic details. Athletics also play into some decision making. If you desire a football team and a lot of school spirit, it is important to keep that in mind when choosing the campus to attend. I also am a firm believer that you need to choose the school that YOU want. I have found and encountered many students who are attending school for their parents and as such their experience has been far from enjoyable. Ultimately, think, and make your own decision.

Peter

Brochures and websites are great and very helpful, and structured, guided campus tours are a great way to "meet" a school. But you are selecting the place you will spend the next 4 (or more?) years of your life--that's a long time to select a school just off one "date" together. Take the time and effort to really get to know the people--talk to students in your possible department, visit with a professor or sit in on a class. Even better--see if there is a student willing to host you for a weekend. Certainly select a school that meets your academic, financial, and location requirements, but also trust your gut and how you feel. The school I graduated from was not my first choice--as it turns out, I hated my first choice after visiting but quickly knew I belonged at my school. After spending some time there, it felt like home. One more thing Mom and Dad--be sure to let go of the reigns; your opinion is very important, but you are not the one shopping for a school.

Corey

Relax, take your time and don't apply too late. visit the college before you make any decision at all if you want to go there. For manking the most out of your college experience i reccommend getting to know your professors, getting involved in campus activities such as SGA, or a fraternity/sorority and doing intramural sports is a great way to meet people and stay in shape.

Taylor

1. do not go to a school that your friends are going to. make sure its something you really want to do. 2.research very possible school, there are sooo many out there. make a list of things that you want out of your college experience and make sure that school has them all. 3. talk to the kids at that school and find out what their views of the school are. the tour guides are going to give you a fake answer. 4. visit on the weekend also to see what the school is like. a lot of schools the kids all leave come friday. 5. ask how many students transfer after their freshmen year. this will give you a good idea of how the kids are adapting and liking the school.

Michelle

Make your choice wisely

Leslie

Choosing a college that suits you best can be a very hard thing to do, but the best thing you can do is research each of your college selections thoroughly and make sure it meets all of your wants and needs. Every college has something different to offer and it's important to find the qualities that are most important to you. Campus tours often give students an inside look at classrooms and dining areas and gives them a chance to actually see the new things they will be able to try and the new people they will meet. This helps students embrace the oppurtunities and experiences that they will have once they are in a college setting. Actually being on the campus and seeing how things look and getting a feel for the types of people there will ultimately help you decide if this is the perfect college for you.

Joshua

It is very simple. nobody knows at eighteen years old what they want in life, who they are, or where they will be in four years. the solution to picking the right college is to visit them and see which atmosphere feels most comfortable. truthfully tho there is no real wrong decision. for the majority of college students class room size and appartment living pale in comparison to the friends you make and the experiences you will have. those can and will happen anywhere