Winston-Salem, NC
Winston-Salem State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Winston-Salem State University

tara

I have grown up alot since i started college. I have learned you really have to study and give it your all because your major is your career for the rest of your life. It has been valuable because it will benefit my son and I for the rest of our lives. It has given me the opportunity to work hard for what I want in life and be able to provide for my son.

Out of my college experience I have obtained so much. First of all the experience is a great opportunity for me. I have learned so much more than I did when I was in grade school. I've exceled in classes such as chemistry and chemistry labs. My writing skills have been improving tremendously. I've went from downhill to uphill since I've been here because I had to open up my eyes and realize the opportunity given to me. Many people don't get this opportunity but I am taking advantage of it. I am on the road to success. College has been very valuable to attend because it has opened up doors for me to enter. It has placed new people in my life and some of the greatest professors. Overall this is a great school due to the great learning experiences and numerous programs offered.

Before I came to this school I wish I would have known that the campus is dead a lot. There isn't much to do for fun on this campus. Knowing me, I like to have fun at least two times out of the week but the majority of the time there is nothing to do.

The worst thing I would consider about my school is the freshman housing. It is the worst housing I could ever be offered. However, not all freshman stay in the dorm in which I live. They're rules are strict, we lose visitation all the time, and a couple of the Resident Assistants have bad attitudes.

chiaeh

In 2009, I went to a private Christian College for my first year of college. I really enjoyed it because of the fact the classes were small, and that there was a more personal-based relationship toward professors and fellow classmates. What I got out of my college was the understanding of the Bible, my college was required for students in taking Bible courses as a General Education course. I also learned more of the ethnic cultures and backgrounds through various people. There would be multicultural clubs and events portraying various culture attires, traditions, and aliments. I would say that attending college has been very valuable to me, because the feel of belonging in a place where you feel is right and the people you have a connection to is very important. Through college or in life, you become to learn more about life. We learn to mature as an independent person, where often we don?t need to rely on our family or parents for things anymore. Therefore, I find that college is valuable, because it helps you break out of your shell and learn to be more of an independent person compared to high school or middle school.

Carmen

Since beginning college, I have tried to do my best in all subjects, no matter how boring! My major is nursing and I knew from the start that in order to get into a competitive program - I had to get good grades! There were times that I wanted to bang my head against the wall and cry in frustration, but perseverence truly became an action word in my life and I kept pressing on. I also gained alot more confidence in myself and my abilities through it all. College has broadened my view of the world and has given me opportunities that I never thought possible. I have really worked hard for my grades, but I believe that the harder you work for your goal, the sweeter the goal when achieved.

Arielle

Our school is best know for our Nursing and Occupational Therapy program. The school is also known for our CIAA cheerleading team. Achieving high academic standards is what WSSU is known for.

What I have got out of my college experience is not only excellent teaching and learning, but a sense of self. When I first attended WSSU I was stuck in this mindset that since I was popular in high school by being a cheerleader I would achieve the same status is college. Well that did not turn out that way! I attended WSSU with two of my best friends from high school one being my college roommate, seeing them fail and waste their college life away by partying only made me not want to be popular and to strive for success. I have always had this drive for excellence and this spirit that I was going to achieve all of my goals if they were high enough to reach and WSSU has assisted with that. This experience has been valuable from growing apart from best friends to gaining new ones. The mystery about college is you never know what you are going to get and I can honestly say that is not such a bad thing. My advice to college prospective students is to "keep your head in the game, and reach those goals". It worked for me!

The worst thing about my school would have to be the level of school spirit. Most students that attend WSSU do not value it for what it really is. Although WSSU does not have a lot of money the school as a whole does what it can to make activites that students can enjoy when they are not in class. A lot of schools think WSSU is cheap but I believe in a economic crisis WSSU will still be standing because of some of the decisions that have been made.

Valerie

Winston Salem State University is a well managed and organized institution.

Winston Salem State University is a well managed and organized institution.

The advice I would give myself would be to know who you are before entering college. When entring college you meet so many different people that may try and change your customes or ways of doing things. I would tell myself to be confident in who I am and never even consider letting anyone change that. Also, I would tell myself that being sociable is the key to networking and having a good time in college. Finally I would tell myself to go into college Opened minded because there is a world of learning out there and our job as students is to ebmrace the moment.

I wish that I would have known that you literally have to driv e somewhere to get what you need. My first year not having my car was my hardest year.

Clarence

My school is a place that helps you to find out where you really want to take your future.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college life and making the transition, then I would begin by telling myself that as soon as I get into college I should start applying for different organizations and clubs, that way I would be able to extend my network of people I know even further. And to also make sure that even though I am just getting into the institution to try and maintain the close relationships with the people that I know in high school still that way if I need them for anything later on in life I can depend on them being there. So that is what I think I would tell myself if I was to go back into the past to my high school self.

The type of person who shouldn't attend this school, is someone who thinks that they will be able to get through without doing their own work.

Dominique

All of our sports teams suck, but the Red Sea Of Sound is a really good band.It is not a huge band, but the band is large enough to produce great music and engage the crowd while watching the sorry football team.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to stay focused and not let "senior-itis" take its toll on me.Being in a magnet program and also taking only AP classes I had a bundle of work and I did not stay focused. I regret not working up to my potential. By not being focused I did not get into my first choice school.I do regret not staying focused, but my college experince would not have been the same if it would had been different. Being a Raging Ram is my destiny.

When i talk about WSSU I talk about how much small yet great the school is.The people whom attend WSSU are very motivated by the small atmosphere which allows us students to learn.I talk about the unity you have with one another through a new tradition known as RAMdition that enables you to meet new people and learn what WSSU is about.

My school is know for its community service givings. Also as an alternative to the other major university in the city. They take time to give each incoming freshmen the opportunity acquaint themselves with the college life/experiences.

I would take my time in studying for and completing any/all entrance examinations necessary for school. Ensure that all scholarship opportunities afforded me (essay, survey questions, etc.) were done in a timely manner. Apply for more student aid through govenment, community service organizations. Make sure that my final GPA in high school was competitive and above average with other students in my school and across the country.

Those who like the small university atmosphere. They should be family oriented and be a 'joiner' not a loner. They should enjoy the ambiance of southern hospitality. Not be afraid to embrace the university as it large enough to hold you and small enough to know you. They should be community service oriented, understanding that giving back is the key to success.

Olivia

My classmates are all very ambitious, eager, and determined.

My classmates are all very ambitious, eager, and determined.

I would say that my school is best known for producing very productive, enthusiastic and successful graduates.

Being a college freshman is a very different experience from high school. There are many things I wish I knew back in high school that could have better prepared me for the big transition. The advice I would give myself is to make sure that I have done all the preparations necessary to make the transition easier. I think the most challenging thing is not leaving home and being away from family but the work that is given and expected in college. The academic level of studies that you are used to in high school is completely different from college. In college you must work harder and stay focused, it?s not like in high school where it was easy to "get by" with work. So I would sum it all up by telling myself to get organized, get focused, and never procrastinate.

Winston-Salem State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.