Winston-Salem, NC
Winston-Salem State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Winston-Salem State University

Quintoya

My classmates are very open-minded, caring , and dependable.

My classmates are very open-minded, caring , and dependable.

I would first and foremost tell myself to begin applying for scholarships as early as possible, meaning ninth grade or even earlier. Being, that I was a student-athlete, I would tell myself to not focus so much on the sports scholarship and to keep my options open. This is because for my first two years of college, I was on a basketball scholarship, everything paid for. Then what happens when your coach decides that he or she does not want you on the team anymore, for whatever reason? This is what happened to me. If I had known then what I do now, I would have easily said no to an athletic scholarship and opted out for an academic one and still be on the team. So in case if this happened I would still have something to fall back on. As we all know college is very expensive especially during these economic times. I also know that not only me, but a lot of other college students could use any extra help.

I feel as though the best thing about WSSU is the "at home" feel they welcome you with. With this school being a Historically Black University, you are surronded by many of those whom are just like you. Everyone treats everyone equally , while getting work done and still having fun at the same time. It is a great place to be.

Janay

Close knit campus where you pretty much know lots of people.

Close knit campus where you pretty much know lots of people.

Sports and a great teacher education and nursing program.

I believe the best advice I could give myself would be to stay focused. I have done pretty well in college although I was just an average student in high school, but I consider myself a person who has high self-esteem and I care about doing well. I am not a quitter so I have stuck out all my classes even when they were difficult. Since I have attended Winston-Salem, I have only dropped one class in 3 1/2 years and that was when I had 17 credits and the class required much more reading than I anticipated.

Dedra

I do not find anything unique about this school. I feel that I am deprived of a real "college experience". There is no school spirit and most people transfer from this school.

I would tell everyone to do research on the college of their choice. Take time to evalute different colleges and their campus. Ask a lot of questions to gain proper knowledge of the experience at that particular college. Also, choose a college that is accredited with your choice of major. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!

Before coming to this school, I wish someone would have told me that campus life and social life are dead. I had to find out things on my own. We need more advisors and faculty that is engaged in helping students.

I would go back and tell myself to go ahead and go to college as soon as I graduate because now most of my friends are graduating and Im still pushing towards my goal of finishing college. After high school I stay out of school a year and a half and just worked trying to grow up fast and make some money soon realizing that working and paying bills was hard when your only making eight dollars a hour. So I decided to go ahead and enroll in a community college and then transferred to Winston Salem State. So I would tell myself to slow done and keep pushing and focusing on my goals go straight to college don't waste time.

I wish I had known that my student loan without my parent plus loan was only enough for my classes and not enough to stay on campus, and thats really my fault for not paying attention other than that nothing.

Winston Salem State University is open to all students no matter gender, race, or status. If your like me I love small classes and a somewhat small campus if you feel the same WSSU is for you. We have great professors who really care about there students well being, they are true to there office hours and are up on there voicemails and emails.

Meagan

Knowing now that college is a totally different atmosphere than high school, I would tell myself to "Be Prepared, it's nothing like high school!" I would also tell myself that college is a wonderful place to expand your horizon and become anyone you want. Enjoy everything, yes, even the studying for tests, because it will be over with before you know it.

Yvonne

I want to finish classes so I may become an educator.

I want to finish classes so I may become an educator.

I would make a committment to myself to DEFINITELY attend college so I may achieve my goals for life.....

Trying to stay with the younger crowd.

Tanya

My classsmates are varied from teenagers to older students. I have always found classmates that have a strong sense of being a good classmate. Usually, I make friends with almost anyone I am in class with and love to hear about their experiences. I am a non-traditional student who loves to learn. I wished that I had went to college when I was younger and stress this to my younger classmates.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student I would have stressed the importance of earning my college degree. It is so much harder going to school as an adult, parent, and having bills to pay. I would have insisted to myself to wait on getting married and having kids. College takes a lot of time and money but it is well worth it. I thought that I could have a lasting job in the tesxtile industry without a college degree and was so wrong. If I had it to do over, I would have finished before having a family and so many responsibilities. Teenagers do not realize how much simpiler life is going to college if they don't have as many economic restraints. I am now 33 and wished so much that I would have done this straight out of high school. Now, I stay up half the night studying and doing homework after the kids go to bed. My life now is comprised of fitting my college life into a life that was already full.

I wished that I had known how much time is involved with college. I thought that I could be a single-parent of two children, keep up a house, and work full time. I was unable to do this and tried to work part-time. Now I am doing side jobs to try to help make ends meet. We are struggling but I think it will be worth it once I obtain my degree as a Social worker and will be able to help people.

I would have told myself, back in high school, to take 1-2 years off and then go to college. I think that going to college right after school, when there were so many things in life I wanted to experience, made me less focused on my work. Going back to school a little older and wiser has made me a better student. I put so much more effort into my schoolwork, and my grades are awesome.

I love the diversity of the students and faculty at this school. Also, I am in the nursing program, and it is one of the best in the state of North Carolina.

I wish I had known that the administration can sometimes be unhelpful. It would have prepared me a liitle more, so that I could have advocated for myself sooner rather than later.

Bianca

Winston Salem State University is a well-rounded school that needs help with in the financial aid department.

My classmates at Winston Salem State University are very diverse people with very different opinions; but they are the best.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high senior I would advise myself to take classes more seriously, because college is not easy. I would let myself know college isn't cheap and to save the money from my job in high school to pay for books, parking decals, ink for my printer, and also the money I needed for tuition that I didn't recieve from financial aid like I was supposed to. I would just let myself know that it's going to be a struggle but insure myself that I can do it.

Winston-Salem State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.