Winston-Salem, NC
Winston-Salem State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Winston-Salem State University

Brittaney

My classmates are very opionated and want to succeed.

My classmates are very opionated and want to succeed.

If I could give advice to parents and future college students I would advise them to never settle for less than what they want in and expect of a college. College is a fun and exciting time but in order to suceed one must be able to juggle. and mulititask. I would tell the students that whatever they do while at college it should be done with intergrity. Make the most out of every learning experience and never take a day of life and education for granted.

Anyone who is looking for a school thats not to big but can give you a good college experience

Steven

Diversity. We are very diverse for it to be considered an HBCU.

Diversity. We are very diverse for it to be considered an HBCU.

I would say please take your time to think about what you really are looking for in a college. Don't apply just because your friends are doing so and by all means visit each and every college that you apply to. Things are very different in person than they are on paper. Talk to students who attend there, have graduated from there and even people who work there if you can.

I think the worst thing is that there is often not a lot of assistance for students with problems in courses. If there is assistance, it is only offered at one t ime and many times, there are conflicts with other classes when the assistance is offered. That is your one and only chance at getting help.

Jamie

The advice that I would give parents and/or students about finding the right college and making the most of their college experience is to begin by doing research on different schools. Depending on what the student wants to do they should look at schools that support their major and has an excellent program. Once you do the research then the next step is to take a trip either in a group or on their own and learn about different opportunities that can help them reach their goal. Also, it doesn't hurt to ask people on campus within that major what they have to do and how they have to get what they need in the 4 year time frame. Sometimes what you want in the beginning may not be your passion, so it is good to look into other option. The last thing is being active helps you meet people. Some people try to be too involved because they feel like they need to be in everything but it only takes one organization that strikes your interest the most. The most important thing is education but you have to be active to enjoy the college life.

The Marketing organization that I am involved in encourages and promotes school spirit. We are the face of all organizations and we do whatever it takes to boost school spirit. We are also highly involved in community service.

Before I got to school I really did not know what I wanted to major in so I just took the S.A.T and did okay so that I could get accepted. What I wish I had known what that majoring in elementary education if I had a satisfying score I would be exempt from taking the Praxis 1 to be certified.

Cierra

make sure that your child has visited and knows they consequences of every aspect of the college down to advisors and the housing and financial aid information

to help with the financial aid crisis they go through yearly with students

Kierra

My school is a little different than what I expected it to be.

My school is a little different than what I expected it to be.

Make sure you start early and weigh out all of your options. Don't be afraid of diversity. Those are schools where I think you learn more. I attended a predominantly white university my freshman year and I can honestly say that I felt more challenged there. It was a unique experience to learn more about other cultures there. Plan ahead, Plan ahead, plan ahead. Don't be afraid to do the out of state schools. You get to travel and see more there!

The different things that are only offered at HBCU's

Wisdom

My classmates are a bit socially awkward, somewhat close-minded, not very independent, moderately intelligent, mentally stable, good spirited, moral and helpful.

From my humble amount of experience, I advise students to take a very active approach in finding scholarships and universities during the summer preceding their senior year. This is so they may focus on their studies and not be distracted by the prospect of college. In addition, I encourage my fellow students to look specifically at the SAT, GPA and other requirements of a school so that their chances of being accepted may be maximized. To the parents, I only ask that they make sure their children and my peers do not let up in their efforts to find and earn placement in a quality institution of higher education.

I often boast that it is very easy to create a class schedule that fits me and my needs very well.

My school is best know for it great nursing school. We also have a great humam perfomance school.

Advice that i would give would be that before going to a school I think that it is important that if possible one should visit the school before attending.

What type of person that should not attend Winston Salem State would be those that are majoring in Law, Media, and Strong Medicine courses. I say this because Winston Salem does not really have classes that cater to those types of majors as other schools may.

Fabrien

Go where you can afford to go, so you will not have to struggle to pay for college. What most people do not understand is that financial aid gives you money for your tuition. You have to have money for books, food, gas (if you drive) personal care products , computers and expensives that are required by your classes, majors or University. That is every year. Also go somewhere where you are comfortable not because you want to get away from home or because your friends are going, because what is important to your friends or what is good for your friends and family may not be good for you. Enjoy your campus life but always remember what you are there for. My parents always tell me if you study hard now for these 4 years you can enjoy the benefits for the rest of your life. When you are studying and your friends are partying, you will graduate and have a job making 60,000 dollars and be able to do what you want to do, while your friends will be struggling to make it! Life is better when you do not have to repeat it!

Finacial-aid here stinks they always give you the run around and they never do anything on time. They give you your tuition bill the day before the money is due. They never give you enough money and you have to take out loans and your parents have to pay out of pocket for your tuition. The finacial-aid office does not answer their telephones and it is hard to get answers for what you need. And when school starts you have to wait in line of about 1000 people to talk to some one. Housing never has enough rooms!

People who love diversity and who love to do work and only really focus on work should come to Winston-Salem State University. If you have a passion for Nursing, Teaching or Business this is the school for you!

I would tell the parents to make sure that the decision is made only by the student as to what college they attend because it is the student who has to attend that college and if the parents push too hard and the student does not like the school then it may not be good for the student. I would also tell them that school visits and tours are very important. Do your research and find the best school for you. I think that it is very important for the student to pick a school that fits them and their personality the best. A student should also make sure that the school that they attend has their major and some of the extra-curricular activities that like to participate in. All in all the student is the decider ofwhat school they attend. This is a very important decision that could affect the rest of the student's life.

I think that the worst thing about my school is the fact there aren't enough funds to go around for all of the students. Personally I have been faced with a struggle because I have not received enough financial aid. That created a hardship for me. There also seems to be a problem with having enough housing for all the students that want to attend the university.

I tell them that it is a very close knit campus and i think that everyone fits together very nicely, and even though we may not have the best band or be the biggest school we have a lot of school spirit and all of the students take pride and are very happy to say that they attend the illustrious Winston-Salem State University.

Ivanna

My school is a friendly, yet academically focused environment that is engaged in assisting students with a successful collegiate career that will prepare them for the workforce.

The best advice to give parents/students on choosing a college is RESEARCH. Researching schools in/out of state is the best way to decide which college is right for the student. When researching, be sure to take notice of the degrees offered to ensure that the career goal you are searching for is offered at the chosen school. Also look up statistics for the school in your desired field. If a good passing rate and percentage are at the school then more than likely it is a good school to choose from. Also when entering college, students be sure to manage your time wisely. There will be many activites and events that you will want to attend, however, your main focus while at school is GRADUATION with a good academic standing/GPA. If you manage your time correctly, you will have plenty of time and opportunities to attend social & athletic events; as well as time with friends.

The environment and of people is wonderful. Winston-Salem State Univeristy (WSSU) is a family-oriented campus that anyone can feel at home when attending. I also like the availability of resources at school. Many resources (academic, career) are available to students who choose to use them to advance their post-graduate options.

Winston-Salem State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.