Winston-Salem, NC
Winston-Salem State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Winston-Salem State University

Our school is best known for being an HBCU, being "The Rams", being the first HBCU to make it to the National Title Game in so many years and having many other good sports win titles, some for the first time EVER in school history like the Women's Tennis Team that I am a member of.

If I were a high school sneior once again, knowing what I knew now, I would tell myself to make sure that I know that everything is going to turn out fine as long as I work hard, stay calm, and continue to make rash and reasonable decisions. Knowing that everything won't be perfect, is no reason to completely give up. In all actuality, I wouldn't change any per say. I beleive that my life is going and is a very content and wonderful place right now and I wouldn't change it for the world.

The best thing about my school is the history of the building of this school on general. In 1892, when slavery was still an issue, many African Americans came together and built a Teacher's Institution.

Toren

Winston-Salem State University is the most unorganized, ratchet, high school based learning system school ever.

If I could go back in time and address myself as a high school senior, I would let myself know so much. I would teach myself time management and how to plan for a group project. I would let myself know that it's college & no one cares about groups anymore, it's more about self awarness. Teaching myself that I need to learn how to ask for help and don't be afraid to just go out there and get what I want. I would teach myself how to prepare for having either a social life, good grades, & no sleep or good grades, sleep & no social life. I would be more lean, percise, and prepared.

Dealing with financial aid, registrar, housing, etc.

Tajanel

Hey you! Everything you are focused on, blessed with, and can do, keep doing it! Your study habits shouldn't change and neither should your personality. Continue to be the person everyone loves and strive for greater. Yes, there will be plenty of challenges, but know that God will never leave nor forsake you, You Can Do It! Continue to network and always aim for a strong finish academically and in track.

Berfore I attended this school I wish I had known the guy to girl ratio. There are about five or six girls to one guy. At times that can be a good thing, because I meet alot of beautiful and classy women, but on the other hand, when trying to date, it can be very competitive and dramatic.

The worst thing about my school is the Financial Aid office and their lack of counseling. The office show poor interest when it comes to helping over the phone and once you are in person they send you on a wild goose chase to learn that they can't help you. There is not much advising or helping when looking for scholarships or loans. This has to be my worse oveall experience.

Marstine

Winston-Salem State University is an wonderful Historical ack Collge.

Winston-Salem State University is an wonderful Historical ack Collge.

The advice I would give myself would be to work hard, get good grades, and do not procrastinate.

All kinds of people should attend the school. There are not discriminations when it comes to Winston-Salem State University.

Chelsea
Why did you decide to go to this school?

Why did you decide to go to this school?

To be completely honest, I was not sold on coming to Winston-Salem State University when I first take a tour of the campus. I was attached to being in my home state, and truthfully, everything was a blur to me. One thing I could say for sure, however, is that I felt welcome by everyone that I encountered during my first visit to WSSU. The hospitality of everyone seemed so genuine. After submitting my application, I really didn't think anything of coming to WSSU, but I was intrigued by the idea of attending a historically Black college or university. When I received the letter in the mail, stating that not only had I been accepted, but also offered a 4-year full scholarship to be a part of the Honors Program, I saw nothing but red and white. I knew that I was destined to be a Ram.

Well first of all, no student is the same here at Winston-Salem State University. While there are some who are open-minded and willing to accept people from other walks of life, there are also those who are ignorant to multicultural ways and stuck in their ways. That's just a matter of maturity. However, from the students that I have encountered, they seem to be welcoming. If anyone is looking for a student body that completely agrees with all of their beliefs and values, then WSSU is not for you. There are a myriad of diverse opinions roaming around this campus, but one thing is for sure-- Winston-Salem State students have a voice and they want it to be heard.

At Winston-Salem State University, there isn't just one stereotype or label for students here. Of course, there are the athletes here at WSSU , (who might I add have extraordinary talent. The men's basketball team just won the CIAA Championship. Congrats guys!) , the Greeks, the fashionistas and there are the students who are extreme social butterflies. However, I feel that as a campus, we mesh very well. It's almost impossible to typecast one particular student into just one category.

Akinyele

Winston-Salem State University (WSSU) is very focused on promoting excellence in all students. I love the level of dedication that the faculty and staff give. The motto is "Enter to learn, depart to serve." Almost everyone that I have known to attend WSSU says that the atmosphere is inviting and welcoming, and the environment is a happy one. There is a lot of diversity on WSSU's campus, even though it is an HBCU. Everyone is able to fit in. If I could change something about this school, I would probably want places like the library and cafeteria open longer hours. I'll always remember the extremely large amount of school spirit we show at athletic events (and all other events). My fellow classmates definitely know how to have fun. Overall, I thoroughly enjoy my time at Winston-Salem State University.

I will start off by saying that the classes are usually fairly small. I love this, because it gives the professors a better/closer relationship with students. It allows for more one-on-one time to be spent. Professors know my name because I make a point to sit in the front or close to it, and I also introduce myself to them face-to-face. Classes go pretty smoothly as long as students do their assignments and participate in class. Most of the time, class participation is very important in order to pass classes. Professors also encourage students to think and process information on their own, so they are not just being given all the answers. The standard that has been set is simply this: excellence.

Chani

I feel that Winston Salem State is a school that is just the perfect size for someone who does not want to feel like a number to their professors. We have a growing campus but maintain a small classroom. some of our larger classes are held in the lecture halls but I have yet to see a class larger than 60 people. The majority of the classes here max out at 30 students. This school also has a lot of school spirit. When ever someone attends a football or basketball game there is always an overwhelming amount of Ram pride apparent there. This school was exactly what I was looking for. It is the perfect size, has great academics, talented sports teams and a loving campus community.

Most of the students that attend WSSU are from either North Carolina or the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia). As far as I have seen at this campus there really are no set cliques at this school. Although the jocks do hang with jocks and cheerleaders with cheerleaders, they do not shun anyone else from hanging with them. The girls that i normally hang with come from different cliques in the school and we still manage to have plenty of fun together (cheerleader, softball player, SGA member, mass. com. major, and poet). I feel that once you find your place on campus, just about anyone can feel at home here. We have a large range of student activities from a poetry club and black men for change, to LGBT and modeling troupes. We are open to anyone and if you can prove a demand for it we are always open to new ideas and new clubs.

I attend a historically black school so one of the stereo types that we face is the idea that we do nothing but drink, smoke and party. Although there are students on this campus that do engage in that behavior they do not represent the majority of the student body. At this school a multitude of the students are focused on their studies and engaging in community service projects.

Ymani

The main reason why I chose my school was because it was an HBCU ( Historically Black College or University). I've always wanted to attend and HBCU because as an African American I'm able to learn about my historical background. I think that makes my school unique, it caters to African Americans allowing us to recieve an education and better ourselves.

Getting ready for college was a difficult experience for me because I wasn't prepared at all for college. If I can go back in time and talk to myself as an high school senior, I would tell myself to start fillling out scholarships early. In high school I was a big procrastinator,so I did everything at the last minute. The fact that I didnt even attempt to fill out scholarships was hell. I basically had no way to pay for college, luckily my mom was able to take out loans for me. I got to college my the skin of my teeth; I almost ended up going to a community college. Today, being a freshman in college, I'm slowly learning how everything works. I'm determined to get myself together for the upcoming year; College is everything to me. In conclusion the advice that I would give my past self is to fill out as much scholarships as you can and be prepared.

The best thing about my school are the classes. The classes are small so the professors are able to cater to your every need, they do everything in their power to ensure that you undesrstand the material.

diamond

The majority of my classmate are well rounded individuals and push each other to do better in and outside of the classroom.

It is important to understand the importance of time management, and having people around you to help keep you balanced. It is important to be a well - rounded student, get engaged in extra-curricular activities, but keep your academic grades as your number one priority. Remember that it is easier to allow a grade to drop than it is to pull it up. Make sure you go to class and take well written notes, pay attention in class and take 10 to 15 minutes a day to study the information you learned during class. Do not cram for exams, study ahead of time and ask questions to ensure that you understand the information in class correctly. Never be afraid to ask questions in class, and make sure your teacher knows who you are and that you are going to do your best at all times during the course. Lastly, be patient, persistent, always ask for help if you need it, and make a difference in someone else’s life as well as your own.

I wish i would have known how high things would have been on campus, i would have been prepared to pay for books online instead of paying 100 dollars a book for my classes.

Mia

One thing I love about Winston-Salem State University is that it a very small school and the classroom sizes are small. I feel like the teachers are more able to interact with students and get to know them on a personal basic versus a larger school. Going to a HBCU I feel that all the students create a close bond and we have common goals.

A stereotype at Winston-Salem State University is the cheerleaders are very stuck up and have attitude problems. Some say that they do not like to associate with those that are not cheerleaders. I do not think that this stereotype is true because I have recently been able to get to know a few cheerleaders. They are very nice and polite.

Winston-Salem State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.