Winston-Salem, NC
Winston-Salem State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Winston-Salem State University

Carina

We are a sort of small school with a big spirit that challenges schools three times our size.

There are many things I wish I could go back and tell my high school senior self from dealing with boys to books. If I had to go back though and say one thing in preparation for college with the college knowledge I have now I would tell myself to get more involved. I'm not saying that I was not involved, because I was in a few clubs and things, it is that I wasn't really involved in the community and business. Being in college I wish I would have thought more of the future and got a job or did more community service. Now because I didn't get involved in those things it is harder to do some of these things and reap the benifits they provide now in college. So I would have pretty much told myself to get a job or something and start making those much needed connections now for later.

The most frustrating thing about WSSU is the administration, mainly financial aid. They have a tendancy to forget or lose things. It is very irresponsible.

Afton

Small but filled with tons of school pride and an evironment where everbody knows everybody.

College is the first experience of the real world and things are totally different in college than they were in high school. It is the time when you learn the most about yourself, grow the most, and also change the most. I would say the most important thing in college is picking the major that is best for you because it will have a huge impact on your performance in school and your future job opportunities. Pick something that not only are you good at but something that you enjoy doing. It is also equally important to do your absolute best in your academics because your performance follows you after college when seeking job opportunities or expanding your education. This means it is vital to attend class, study, avoid procrastination, and turn in assignments on time. Take the opportunity to get involved in clubs and activities. It is a great way to meet new people, make friends, and add to your resume. Be sure to balance these activities with your school work. I always like to say study hard so that you can play hard. Lastly remember to always make time for you to sit back and relax and reflect.

The best thing about my school is the professors because they are very knowledgeable about the content they teach and have the best interest in the student being successful and getting the most out of their learning experience.

Andra

My school is serious in learning and outgoing in activites.

My school is serious in learning and outgoing in activites.

The advice I would give myself knowing the college life would be stay focused and get more help. Entering college I inspected it to be a breeze all the way through but I wind up being wrong and overwhelmed. Once I got myself together I struggle to bring my GPA up and now I am struggling on finding a internship to help secure my post graduation job. So stay focus and stay on top of things would be the things I would tell myself if I could go back in time.

The worst thing I consider the worst is the way they handle financial aid. The reason for this is because alot of people depend on financial aid and most of the times they never have answers or give an accurate answer to help the students nor parents.

Danesha

My shcool is best known for its amazing nursing program; majority of the people who attend this school are here as nursing majors!

The most important thing I have gotten out of my college experience is the need to be both focused and independent. Coming from a small town and a small family, there was always some adult pushing me, constantly reminding me to finish my school work, apply for this, or study for that. In college, you are pretty much on your own--so it is your responsibilty to remained focused on your education, goals, and ultimately get things done for yourself. It has been a valuable experience to attend college, because I have discovered myself and the things I hope to achieve in life. Being in college has also boosted my independent streak, and I no longer rely on my parents and trustworthy adults to make important decisisions for me. College is where I have begun the journey to becoming the successful young woman I want to be!

I wish that i had known about the number of degrees in biology given out each year. Knowing a statistic like this would have aided me in choosing a school in which biology is/close to being a top priority.

Kareem

Everyone is friendly and always willing to help each other. The campus is always full of activities everyday and every wants to be the best they can be

College experience has helped me grow as a person from a kid to a grown man. I've gone from depending on my family for almost everything, to understanding that they will be there all the time to help. So I had to believe in myself to survive each and everyday. So by just attending a university away from home has made me appreciate the little thingsin life. I probably wouldnt have appreciated these things if i was in my comfort zone back home. I feel its valuable to attend college because you experience adulthood and also as an individual you find out things about yourself as you grow. Also you are going to school to do a career you are going to enjoy when you graduate and support your family in the future.

The worst thing would be the time the cafeteria closes besides there isnt much bad things i can see.

guillermo

i have met so many new people that love coming to school and love learning new thing. going to school has been one of the best decision of my life and feel great coming to school every day

Je'Lisa

My college experience is just begining, (first year) I feel as if I'm still in a transitioning mode. But what I've learn so far is that I came to college well prepared to take on any challenge that is put in front of me. Thanks in advance, Je'Lisa M. Durroh

I had been on numerous college tour, and my last stop was Winston Salem State University. I really enjoyed the campus setting, class room set-up and most of all I found there Nursing Program to be one of the best amongst many HBCU's.

I find no fault down at Ram Country......WSSU

The best thing here at Winston Salem State is the oppertunity that was given for me to conduct research.

Through out my duration here at Winston-Salem State University I've come across only two types of people; those who come to recieve an education and those who come just to have a good time.

The freshmen students do not take things as seriously as they should.

Kearse

My school allows us to have fun while getting our education. We are not just boxed in. My school lets us be creative and express ourselves. Some other schools that I considered we more closed in and I didn't really like that.

College has been a valuable experience to me. These days you can't get anywhere in life without a college education, so I am staying focused because I am determined to make something of myself and make my family proud. I have learned that I can have safe fun while I am in school. As long as i stay focused, anything can happen.

When talking about my school, I brag the most about the way our campus looks and the fun that we have.

Tiera

A college experience is not just the partying every night or getting away from your hometown. The college experience is based around getting to know different people and their cultures and gaining real life experience in a controlled environment. College is where many young students make big mistakes but most of the time those mistakes can be patched up. Making those same mistakes out in the real world however, can be devastating to your career or personal life. Therefore, it is best to make them earlier in life. Going away to college, for many people, is the first time they are out on their own. Getting out on your own helps, you gain more responsibility and allow you to be open to new things. Having more responsibility helps you become more mature which can help you in the adult world. Being open allows you to bond with new people and gain new friendships. You will also try things you would not necessarily try back at home. Going to college is something not everybody can experience, which makes me cherish my opportunity to attend college and get the experience even more.

I wish I would have known I was going to have to do so much walking. WSSU is not a big campus but they have plenty of hills you have to hike up. I don?t see how people say freshmen will gain ?the freshman 15? with all this walking your required to do.

The worst thing about my school is that we do not have a variety of places to choose from when we eat. At WSSU we only have the cafeteria and Ram Shack to choose from, they serve basically the same things every week. Sometimes you get tired of choosing the same foods every week. To improve the situation I would bring in more restaurants to choose from, like a Chick-fil-a or Taco Bell.

Winston-Salem State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.