Winston-Salem State University

« See more reviews of Winston-Salem State University

What I have got out of my college experience is not only excellent teaching and learning, but a sense of self. When I first attended WSSU I was stuck in this mindset that since I was popular in high school by being a cheerleader I would achieve the same status is college. Well that did not turn out that way! I attended WSSU with two of my best friends from high school one being my college roommate, seeing them fail and waste their college life away by partying only made me not want to be popular and to strive for success. I have always had this drive for excellence and this spirit that I was going to achieve all of my goals if they were high enough to reach and WSSU has assisted with that. This experience has been valuable from growing apart from best friends to gaining new ones. The mystery about college is you never know what you are going to get and I can honestly say that is not such a bad thing. My advice to college prospective students is to "keep your head in the game, and reach those goals". It worked for me!

Go where you can afford to go, so you will not have to struggle to pay for college. What most people do not understand is that financial aid gives you money for your tuition. You have to have money for books, food, gas (if you drive) personal care products , computers and expensives that are required by your classes, majors or University. That is every year. Also go somewhere where you are comfortable not because you want to get away from home or because your friends are going, because what is important to your friends or what is good for your friends and family may not be good for you. Enjoy your campus life but always remember what you are there for. My parents always tell me if you study hard now for these 4 years you can enjoy the benefits for the rest of your life. When you are studying and your friends are partying, you will graduate and have a job making 60,000 dollars and be able to do what you want to do, while your friends will be struggling to make it! Life is better when you do not have to repeat it!

I would tell parents to consider what type of student their child was in high school because they are likely to maintain those same habits, therefore they need to be in an enviroment where they can suceed. Another important factor in selecting a college is surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals because college is a place where you meet life long friends and an experience that teaches you who you are as a person. Academic programs are very important but he socail life of the campus shouls be considered as well becasue if a student is consantly bored or becames depresseed it will reflect in their classroom preformance and could ultimately lead to them leaving the school. The final factor that should be considered when selecting a college is having the resources to pay for college because unexpected events will occur and money is hard to come by while in school . So students have a lot to consider but the decision should be that of the family with the student's opinion in mind above all others.

You are about to be faced with opportunities and challeneges that you have never known or dreamed of. You are going to be an adult.The freedom that we always wanted and the ability to make our own decisions. It is incredible, but you need to know a few things. That there will be times when you feel fear. You wont share it with anyone, but it will be there. Fear is normal, just remember that most everyone else feels the exact same way. You may feel less than at times but know you are not, and try not to use alcohol and drugs to make you feel better, they will do nothing but postpone the pain. Please understand that you are going to have to work to learn. It isnt like highschool. Remember that it is going to take focus and dedication, but you can do anything you put your mind too, I promise. Finally, love yourself. Dont look to fill the void in others, fill it yourself. If you do this I promise you we are going to end up ok. In fact if you listen these things, I wont have to write this essay.

Just go for it. You know what your dreams are, so make them come true. I would tell myself to not hold back. The best thing to do is to work hard and not let anything get in the way of dreams. If going to Hawaii is truly what you desire then don't stop until you get there. Go study and take your SATS. Apply for the colleges that are in Hawaii. Apply for scholarships and fincancial aid. Do not even apply to colleges close to home because it's not what you want. Get a part time job after school and save some money so you can have a little something when you move. Don't let your personal problems get in your way. Try to find a way to deal with them without losing sight of your dream. Go to counseling if you have to or write about it. Just don't keep everything bottled up inside. Make short term goals and write down how you will achieve those goals. Make sure you get yourself to Hawaii and don't waste your time here in New York. Do whatever it take and don't give up.

College work is not very hard, but balancing college life with social life is. When you choose a college, chose a college that is the right size for not only you, but is a good size for your social life. A large school will probably interfere with school work and a very small school will probably bore you beyond belief. Also choose a school with class sizes that encourage a close relationship with you and your professors. A class size of about 20 to 30 students is favorable. Choose a school that the student body actually stands behind and is proud to be a part of because this will insure that your college experience will be enjoyable. Get involved in as many activities as you can because this will help in building a strong network and career connections for yourself. Picking the right school is like marrying the right person; make sure you are both on the same page because if you are not, there is a good chance that you are wasting your time.

I would like to say make sure that the college has exactly what you are looking for academically and socially. Visiit the school so you can get the feel of being there. see if this is the place that you really want to be. Check out the background history of the school. Discover the different extracurricular activities if that is of interest. Size is very important. Some students want to be at a large school and some prefer small. Check out the classroom sizes to see if it would be a comfortable learning environment for you. I feel the best way to enjoy your college years is to be involved in something. You do not have to join every organization, but find something that interests you. Do not be afraid to socialize. College allows you to meet diverse groups of people. Get to know your instructors and do not be afraid to ask them for help. Also get to know your advisors so you can stay on the correct academic path for the career you are pursuing.

Mariah, Apply for as many scholarships as possible and begin looking into what you need to apply for your FAFSA in order to get grants as well. Also make sure that you send your official transcripts to any college you might even be remotely interested in. I would also suggest that you begin talking to every recruiter for all the military branches now, because I know you want to join the military. The college life is stressful and even though you took classes during your junior year at CAC you should try taking another class while its still free. Keep up with your studies because you need to keep your GPA high and make sure you study for your math final along with the others. You should also talk to Mr. Ray about having him help you when it comes to applying for scholarships he helped me out last second but it was the best last few seconds I made. Tell mom you love her and give Thor lot of love because his time ends during your senior year.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student I would have stressed the importance of earning my college degree. It is so much harder going to school as an adult, parent, and having bills to pay. I would have insisted to myself to wait on getting married and having kids. College takes a lot of time and money but it is well worth it. I thought that I could have a lasting job in the tesxtile industry without a college degree and was so wrong. If I had it to do over, I would have finished before having a family and so many responsibilities. Teenagers do not realize how much simpiler life is going to college if they don't have as many economic restraints. I am now 33 and wished so much that I would have done this straight out of high school. Now, I stay up half the night studying and doing homework after the kids go to bed. My life now is comprised of fitting my college life into a life that was already full.

When I first started attending high school, I didn’t take it seriously. My grades were average and I didn’t realize how much I was hurting myself. During sophomore year, my grandmother passed away. Although my heart was broken, I wanted to do better in school. My grandmother always told me to get a good education and it will help me succeed in life. My grandmother motivated me to pay more attention in class and do all the necessary work to excel. People make mistakes throughout life but everyone has an opportunity to turn their life around. I am proud to say I was able to pull up my GPA a 3.4. Even though I started out rough, I rose to the top. Through all of this, I learned how to stay focused and be determined to achieve my goals. My hard work and dedication helped me make a smooth transition into college. After my first year of college, I earned a 3.78 GPA and made the Winston-Salem State University Dean's List both semesters.