Winston-Salem State University

« See more reviews of Winston-Salem State University

Don't get involved with any guy right now. Focus on college. Study hard and get a Career. Before you decide to have children. Love yourself before you can love anyone else. School is the most important thing right now for you. Enjoy the college life, make new friends, join in the clubs at college. Study hard and you won't ever regret it. Otherwise you can end up with the wrong man and get pregnant. You don't want to wake up when your in your 40's and think about goiung back to college this late in life. Experience the whole college life. Quit trying to be a hairdresser and focus more on the business classes that high school has to offer. Pay attention and learn. I promise you won't regret it. Life can be better if you just stay on track with school. Don't just think about getting out of school. Hop right into college and keep your life on the right track. Don't bear right or bear left stay straight. You will be glad you did!!!!!!!!!

It is important to understand the importance of time management, and having people around you to help keep you balanced. It is important to be a well - rounded student, get engaged in extra-curricular activities, but keep your academic grades as your number one priority. Remember that it is easier to allow a grade to drop than it is to pull it up. Make sure you go to class and take well written notes, pay attention in class and take 10 to 15 minutes a day to study the information you learned during class. Do not cram for exams, study ahead of time and ask questions to ensure that you understand the information in class correctly. Never be afraid to ask questions in class, and make sure your teacher knows who you are and that you are going to do your best at all times during the course. Lastly, be patient, persistent, always ask for help if you need it, and make a difference in someone else’s life as well as your own.

I would first and foremost tell myself to begin applying for scholarships as early as possible, meaning ninth grade or even earlier. Being, that I was a student-athlete, I would tell myself to not focus so much on the sports scholarship and to keep my options open. This is because for my first two years of college, I was on a basketball scholarship, everything paid for. Then what happens when your coach decides that he or she does not want you on the team anymore, for whatever reason? This is what happened to me. If I had known then what I do now, I would have easily said no to an athletic scholarship and opted out for an academic one and still be on the team. So in case if this happened I would still have something to fall back on. As we all know college is very expensive especially during these economic times. I also know that not only me, but a lot of other college students could use any extra help.

The best advice to give parents/students on choosing a college is RESEARCH. Researching schools in/out of state is the best way to decide which college is right for the student. When researching, be sure to take notice of the degrees offered to ensure that the career goal you are searching for is offered at the chosen school. Also look up statistics for the school in your desired field. If a good passing rate and percentage are at the school then more than likely it is a good school to choose from. Also when entering college, students be sure to manage your time wisely. There will be many activites and events that you will want to attend, however, your main focus while at school is GRADUATION with a good academic standing/GPA. If you manage your time correctly, you will have plenty of time and opportunities to attend social & athletic events; as well as time with friends.

The advice I would give myself if I could go back would be to not wait till the last minute to figure everything out. Start early by applying for scholarships, scheduling classes, and figuring out finicial aid. If you wait to long then you won't be able to take the exact classes you want at the time that fits you best. Now by getting everything organized and figured out I wouldn't be as stressed as I was when the first day of college came around. I would also tell myself that going to a Community College for my first year may seem dumb but it will really prepare me for the future of attendeding a bigger college. Instead of just throwing me into huge lectures with hundreds of people, a community college will slowly help me transition from high school to college. Thanks to attending a community college my first year I am now ready to transfer to a University for the next semester.

Getting ready for college was a difficult experience for me because I wasn't prepared at all for college. If I can go back in time and talk to myself as an high school senior, I would tell myself to start fillling out scholarships early. In high school I was a big procrastinator,so I did everything at the last minute. The fact that I didnt even attempt to fill out scholarships was hell. I basically had no way to pay for college, luckily my mom was able to take out loans for me. I got to college my the skin of my teeth; I almost ended up going to a community college. Today, being a freshman in college, I'm slowly learning how everything works. I'm determined to get myself together for the upcoming year; College is everything to me. In conclusion the advice that I would give my past self is to fill out as much scholarships as you can and be prepared.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to work hard, stay focused on school work and do not get distracted by boys, sports and activities. School is much more important. Be social, make new friends and have fun. Don't stay out late, nothing good is out past midnight and you will be thankful for the extra sleep in years to come. Decide goals that you want for yourself and strive to make them happen. Maintain a professional attitude in class and clinical, it will help in getting you further in life. Decide what you want in life and don't settle for anything less. Although school is stressful, hectic and frustrating it will be worth all the hard work. Make sure to make time for family throughout the school process, you will regret the missed memories. Cherish these times of hard work, it will make you appreciate the smaller things in life.

I feel that there is a University that is perfect for every individual. Even though people differ greatly there is a place that will suit you like a glove, but you must find it. So many high school students do not have parents who graduated from a 4-year college so I stronly advise is to seek he assistance of a guidance counselor. Their purpose is to provide resources to make information about different colleges and universities readily available. Find out the date, time, and prices of college tours especially! Being able to visit the campus, and asking individuals about their experience that currently attend the school help aid in what is a very difficult process. The more comfortable you are with your decision, the easier the transition to this 'new world' will be. Start your research early and take your time and you will be fine!

The most important thing I have gotten out of my college experience is the need to be both focused and independent. Coming from a small town and a small family, there was always some adult pushing me, constantly reminding me to finish my school work, apply for this, or study for that. In college, you are pretty much on your own--so it is your responsibilty to remained focused on your education, goals, and ultimately get things done for yourself. It has been a valuable experience to attend college, because I have discovered myself and the things I hope to achieve in life. Being in college has also boosted my independent streak, and I no longer rely on my parents and trustworthy adults to make important decisisions for me. College is where I have begun the journey to becoming the successful young woman I want to be!

I would tell the parents to make sure that the decision is made only by the student as to what college they attend because it is the student who has to attend that college and if the parents push too hard and the student does not like the school then it may not be good for the student. I would also tell them that school visits and tours are very important. Do your research and find the best school for you. I think that it is very important for the student to pick a school that fits them and their personality the best. A student should also make sure that the school that they attend has their major and some of the extra-curricular activities that like to participate in. All in all the student is the decider ofwhat school they attend. This is a very important decision that could affect the rest of the student's life.